What's new

Islamophobia [Dedicated Thread]

One thing i've found about islamic terror is the passivity of the general population.. There are fundamentalists and extremists is all religions. But this actions of fundamentalists are not condoned or supported by the majority civil society.. However in Muslim communities we dont see or hear protest or voices of condemnations. There is silence all around.. And silence is thought as affirmation. On the other hand select nut case outfits conduct rallies in support of such terrorist actions. And these get widespread publicity in international media.. Could the international community be faulted in thinking that all muslims are terrorist?

Tribune Take: Rising Islamophobia in the US & the Irvine 11
By Mahawish Rezvi
Published: December 3, 2011
In today’s episode of the Tribune Take we look at T-Magazine’s cover story “No you can’t” about the prosecution of the Irvine 11 that points towards increasing intolerance and Islamophobia in the United States.
Zarrar Khuhro, editor T-Magazine, takes us through the story that got little coverage from the international and local American press as well.
Khuhro discusses the guilty verdict handed down to eleven University of California students charged with violating the Israeli ambassador’s right to free speech. He points to the novelty of the decision, since heckling to protest the US president Obama of former vice-president doesn’t land you in jail, but eleven Muslim students heckling an Israeli ambassador sure does.
Read Zarrar Khuhro’s articles here.
The Tribune Take daily news web show will appear on the tribune.com.pk home page.
The Take will feature in-depth interviews and analysis with editors and reporters who are covering the major stories, exploring front page events and major ledes. The news analysis covers the way The Express Tribune examines a story, how we cover it and why.

Last edited by a moderator:
I go to school in Irvine and was pretty surprised to hear arrested. I understand being led out for disrupting but the arrest and conviction were heavy handed. Same thing with the occupy wall street, watch the video of pepper spray at UC Davis (cops were later on suspension and chief fired). Like the video above says free speech is an important right. It's a bummer that small events can characterize an entire country.

As far as Islamophobia, I've never seen it up close but am aware that it's an issue. Growing up pre 9/11 I was never told Islam is evil etc. Now the mainstream media likes to highlight stories that feed off of that fear, the "If it bleeds it leads" saying. Some people like Sarah Palin like the inflammatory rhetoric but it only appeals to a minority of people. Most people here groan when they hear her talk.

Back
Top Bottom