What's new

Is Urdu returning to Bangladesh?

that's good i don;t see any sin in speaking urdu... my grandfather spoke it often when i was a child... now i'm become a fan of qawali... so why not.

My great-grandfather and grandfather spoke both Urdu and Farsi, those were very popular languages in educated Muslim families in both East and West Bengal before Pakistan times (for example, the family of Mr. Suhrawardy, most prominently). To wit - Nawab family in Dhaka and many wealthy educated families with roots in old Dhaka also still speak Urdu at home (some of their family backgrounds are invariably in the Awadh area and of course Lucknow was the epicenter of refined Urdu culture back in on-the-wane Mughal period).

Last edited:
Long time ago, when Urdu was a subject I have not heard any student left school.
valid point, but again teaching urdu should be an afterthought when wr start teaching english properly. All i am saying is that all the resources (class time, books etc) that could be spent in teaching urdu can be better utilized to teach children english.

valid point, but again teaching urdu should be an afterthought when wr start teaching english properly. All i am saying is that all the resources (class time, books etc) that could be spent in teaching urdu can be better utilized to teach children english.

This thread is about cultural study of Urdu.

If we want our country to succeed in Business then Chinese and Korean should be studied, which is actually happening.

And Hindi should be the LAST thing given any sort of preference or support. There's plenty of bad Bollywood influence that has ruined our kids already - no more needed from our neighbor to the West.

Urdu is like a universal lamguage for whole of subcontinent. Everyone in India and Pakistan can understand and speak Basic urdu.
Thanks to bollywood Indians can speak and understand urdu as native speaker. Bangladeshis should also learn urdu for this reason. Name it whatever they want if they have a problem with the word urdu.
Its good that almost 1.5 billion people of subcontinent can natively understand each other in a common language.

never met a bangladeshi who cant speak urdu, recently met two bangladeshi and they started speaking urdu after knowing I was from Pakistan

Everytime Urdu enters this region, it gets liberated from the vicious circle of tyranny and oppression.

So guess it is good news afterall

never met a bangladeshi who cant speak urdu, recently met two bangladeshi and they started speaking urdu after knowing I was from Pakistan

should have continued on in English and be respectful of them you genocidal maniac

Well..every language should be taught in school that has some objective..Every country should teach one mother tongue and next language should be the one that help them in career...For example...I from Odisha..I was taught with Odiya and English...Hindi and other language can be learnt by individuals...Same can be said about BD too...

Hindi is a bastardized version of Urdu, which has lost Arabic, Persian, and Turkish words, and with it all of its charm. I consider Urdu a logical evolution of Dari (type of Farsi spoken in Afghanistan and former Mughal empire.)

Pakistanis find Hindi rather vulgar, with wrong tenses/structure, and overall unsophisticated, and I still have trouble understanding when Indians speak, aside from Bollywood (which I also haven't watched for 15 years.)

Some Bangladeshis claim they can speak/understand Urdu, but I could never understand Bangla and I feel there is always inability to communicate.

Anyway, anything to bring Bangladesh closer to Pakistan and further from India is good.

pakistanis can't live without bollywood songs and films , no wedding is complete without indian songs
see general rahil sharif dancing on indian songs ,

Almost every bangaldeshi understand urdu. That is quite a surprise to me. I thought they are now old enough not to know urdu or relations with pakistan as we in Pakistan are to them. But now this must be the Bollywood influence.
Bangala bhiyon ne Bengali ke liyn mulk banaya, aur ab sirf Bangala hi bola
I do not think that we created a country because of Bengali language. But, many politicians of BAL love to propagate this idea and people really believe them that 1952 language movement was the source of everything politics after that. Not language, but, other reasons are responsible for the division in 1971.

Even in and before 1952 no one uttered a word against Urdu nor anyone shouted Pakistan Murdabad. Rather, the slogan was "Bangla-Urdu bhai bhai, rastrybhasha Bangla chai". Hope you will understand the slogan. BY writing, "Bengali and Urdu shall be the two state languages of Pakistan" in the 1962 Constitution of Pakistan, Bengali was established.

So, language was no more an issue when it was 1971. But, politicians started saying something untrue after 1971.

Speaking from personal experience, a sizable percentage of the population has access to indian TV channels and movies, so they have a reasonably good understanding of hindi to the extent that they can even speak it with relative ease. If i recall even 5 years back when indian cartoons were quite popular, people were legitimately concerned about their children speaking too much hindi from the cartoons.
Please, do not say movies can be good source of learning of language. A language consists of grammar and teaches how to write grammatically correct sentences. Movies have different functions.

People are not aware that unlike Bengali or English many Urdu words are grouped in genders (Muzaqqar and Muannas), male and female. For example, Meri Baat to Suno. It is not Mera Baat----. These things are learned when someone studies Urdu.

Afsos, we cannot speak even good Bengali!!

Last edited:
It's just that you fought for a whole country to speak Bengali?
Cmon darling you can’t force people to speak a foreign language only... just like you can’t force people to practice a foreign religion... that shit doesn’t work. No harm in cultural exchanges

pakistanis can't live without bollywood songs and films , no wedding is complete without indian songs

Indian movie songs are usually Urdu songs so, who can’t live without whom?

My great-grandfather and grandfather spoke both Urdu and Farsi, those were very popular languages in educated Muslim families in both East and West Bengal before Pakistan times (for example, the family of Mr. Suhrawardy, most prominently). To wit - Nawab family in Dhaka and many wealthy educated families with roots in old Dhaka also still speak Urdu at home (some of their family backgrounds are invariably in the Awadh area and of course Lucknow was the epicenter of refined Urdu culture back in on-the-wane Mughal period).
Yeah, same here. My dad also speaks urdu but he didn’t teach me. Whatever I can speak and understand is through my own effort. Idk if my children will understand though

language issue started well in life of qayad azam .
Yes, it is true what you said but most people forgot that. We usually refer to 1952 Language Movement of 1952 February 21 when a curfew was violated, and a few students were killed. Quaed-e-Azam had good intention. People of no provinces of Pakistan were native speakers of Urdu. Not Bengal, Punjab, NWFP or Baluchistan. Only the Muhajirs from India were the native speakers. However, Urdu was always the main language of entire Hindustan although Persian was the Official Language until 1832.

Also, please note how we blame west Pakistan for the issue when it was in reality the policy of then Muslim League. On 21 Februray 1952, the central Pakistan Governor General (President) was Khwaja Nazimuddin of Dhaka Nawab family and the provincial east Pakistan governor was Nurul Amin from Mymensingh (?) here.

But, unfortunately, we squarely blame the people or leaders of west Pakistan for the Police firing and killing. This false propaganda had caused rifts between two branches of Pakistan which is still continuing. History must be corrected.

Last edited:
I always thought it was the other way around (because if the Arabic letters)

Zaban e Urdu began as a language which was used by Muslim soldiers during Islamic conquest. As such, its major influence was Farsi and Turkish. There is much commonality between Urdu and Punjabi as well.

Hindi was invented by Gandhi's and Modi's progenitors who wantes to erase Muslim influence from their region. They removed all Arabic, Farsi, and Turkish words and brought back extinct words from Sanskrit. In the process, Hindi became a language with very simple structure and haphazard diction, whereas Urdu is still the pinnacle of poetry, song, and novels.

The real form of Urdu spoken in Pakistan becomes synonymous with Farsi when you have a gifted speaker.

Situation is different now than in 90s. Pakistani music is infinitely superior to cheap Indian pop music and film songs with little substance.

Our culture has become very anti-Indian in the last decade.

Reported.

reported for replying in your tone ?
he told you truth ,urdu is mixture of persian and many local indian languages . it was basically spoken by invading muslim armies . it came in present form by mughal armymen .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom