What's new

Is Tianhe-2 Overrated?

Supercomputers are never meant to be 'commercially viable'............. it's like asking if CIA is essential for the security of the United States........ supercomputers are exactly that, something that ensures the security of a nation........ nations don't put price tags on their essential security apparatuses.

Efficient coding on the other hand takes time to master. Whatever the case, Chinese are well on their way.

@Nihonjin1051 hehe, I am a little confused buddy, are you posting at the expense of some people here? some of your posts are rubbing @jhungary the wrong way. I value both of you very much but in this thread I am at not sure if your posts are off the mark or @jhungary woke up wrong side of the bed :)
stay cool

I have not posted to him nor in response to him, please you may remind him to stop stalking my posts if it does not concern him. He is effectively in my ignore list, actually. Thank you, Sir @Irfan Baloch !

I have not posted to him nor in response to him, please you may remind him to stop stalking my posts if it does not concern him. He is effectively in my ignore list, actually. Thank you, Sir @Irfan Baloch !
now this is a sad turn of events. hope you can find an amicable resolution to personal disagreements.

I will see what I can do.

in the meantime please be assured that your presence here is most welcome and appreciated.

take care

ha, even fellow Chinese know Tianhe-2 is a white elephant
@gambit more racism here ... dang

Baby steps. First, make it work. Then make it beautiful.
It works. It is the world's number one supercomputer for processing power. Not sure what the OP is trying to prove by posting something from SCMP.

It works. It is the world's number one supercomputer for processing power. Not sure what the OP is trying to prove by posting something from SCMP.
It is human nature.

"And why worry about a speck in your brother's eye when you have a log in your own?" -- Matthew 7:3

now this is a sad turn of events. hope you can find an amicable resolution to personal disagreements.

I will see what I can do.

in the meantime please be assured that your presence here is most welcome and appreciated.

take care

Thank you, Sir. It is in my conclusion that some member's post direction and tone in how that certain member appropriates discourse is questionable. It is with a humble heart that I had to place said member on my ignore list as any discourse with said member proved futile in genesis of intellectual growth or fruitful dialogue , rather, resulted in injurious statements by said member. There are plenty of great minds in this forum from varied backgrounds whom I wish to cultivate greater dialogue and rapport with. Rest assured i shall focus on pro-development oriented topics, themes. I would hope that said inhibitive individual refrains from following me and stalking my post(s), Sir.

Thank you for your consideration, Sir.

I Remain Sincerely,

Our JPNese member effectively lied to the Americans on what he is. Of course, being the better wordsmith, he called it 'strategic ambiguity'. More honest people would call it deceitful. We just have to disagree there.

China is completely overrated.

Two 100 petaflop supercomputers coming in 2016.
China May Develop Two 100 Petaflop Machines Within a Year - insideHPC

Meng Xiangfei, head of the applications department of the National Supercomputer Center, said on Friday that the center will release a prototype in 2017 or 2018 of an "exascale" computer -- one capable of at least a billion billion calculations per second
China planning new supercomputer
- Xinhua | English.news.cn

An exascale system is 1,000 petaflops just in case you don't know...

Our JPNese member effectively lied to the Americans on what he is. Of course, being the better wordsmith, he called it 'strategic ambiguity'. More honest people would call it deceitful. We just have to disagree there.
Are you questionin if Is he Japanese or someone else?

Why is C130 not banned for this thread?

This is clearly a troll bait thread.

Those who can do, do. Those who can't, whine and cry. USA is becoming the latter. JealoUSy is the new thing!!

troll bait thread :o:

are you implying i have reached the level of superboy/ultron?

I could of just made this thread with a poll and made some vague points

but

I post sources and tried to make my case. nationality or pride has nothing to do with this.

:enjoy::enjoy:

To my Muslims and Arab brothers do you know any Arab or Muslim country made or making something like these super computers?.

logo.png

January 26, 2016
175 Teams Worldwide Compete for ASC16 Student Supercomputer Challenge
Sponsored Content by Inspur

The ASC Student Supercomputer Challenge (ASC16) Training kicked off in Beijing on January 26. To this date, 175 teams from 148 universities around the world have signed up for the competition. On the list, there are teams from well-known universities like the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (US), Imperial College London (UK), the University of Hamburg (Germany), Nanyang Technological University (Singapore), the Australian National University, and Tsinghua University, which is the champion of all three world’s largest supercomputer contests, ASC15, ISC15, and SC15.

ASC16 announced details of the Preliminary Contest at the launch. It incorporates HPCG (High Performance Conjugate Gradients), an ocean model MASNUM_WAM, and a deep learning algorithm DNN (Deep Neural Network) . Students are asked to design a high performance computer system that optimizes applications under 3000W and submit the result and the code by March 2. Only 16 teams could enter the final round that will be held in Huazhong University of Science and Technology in April in Wuhan, China.

175 Teams Worldwide Compete for ASC16 Student Supercomputer Challenge

Some people here seems to have the IQ of a 12 years old (Strange as they all say how high the Chinese IQ were) and do not understand why Tianhe-2 is wasting it bandwidth. Let me explain one more time.

Process to power ration is not "Processor" to power ratio. What does it means? Let assume Tianhe-2 can only have 10 process per year to process. Then the economical level of Tianhe-2 would be depending on the task perform by Tianhe2 which mean if almost all those process occupied Tianhe2 processing power, then and only then said equipment would be considered striking the necessarily power to process. Because the power consumption remain slightly constant, and it would have lost value if Tianhe was used to process information only requiring half of its computation power. However, according to Statistical sampling model. The standard deviation of the task would have the majority of process will only require a fraction of Tianhe-2 processing power.

Process 1 - require 15% of Tianhe-2 Processing power
Process 2 - require 30% of Tianhe-2 Processing power
Process 3 - require 35% of Tianhe-2 Processing power
Process 4 - require 40% of Tianhe-2 Processing power
Process 5 - require 45% of Tianhe-2 Processing power
Process 6 - require 50% of Tianhe-2 Processing power
Process 7 - require 50% of Tianhe-2 Processing power
Process 8 - require 55% of Tianhe-2 Processing power
Process 9 - require 75% of Tianhe-2 Processing power
Process 10 - require 95% of Tianhe-2 Processing power

This 10 process satisfied the standard deviation (SD) model. So, theoretically, tianhe-2 would spend 65% of its time processing something slightly less than half to more slightly more than half its capacity. But still, it have to consume the power require for the computer to function.

9 out of 10 times the Tianhe-2 power is wasted because essentially you pay for full price for using something in half most of the time.

Now, you can still say you need Tianhe-2 to process the one that need majority of its power (Process 10). But in ascent, no. Because process and computer power can be either serial or parallel. A process can either break down into 2 or more and process them separate for the same result, require longer time but less processing power. Or alternatively you can connect 2 or more supercomputers to parallel process the task. Hence in effect, you don't actually need supercomputer like Tianhe-2.

Is this some kind of joke or something?

is this a joke or something?

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom