What's new

Is the India growth story over?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fd24

Reaction score
Prepare For Worse, a newspaper warns its readers on Friday, on the back of reports that the economy has grown at its slowest pace in nine years.

Goodbye 2020, Hello 1991!, says another, alluding to the 1991 meltdown, which sent India scurrying to the IMF for a bailout.

Are things so dire with Asia's third-largest economy? Is the India growth story coming to an end?

Fiscal and trade deficits are soaring, the rupee is at a historic low, reforms are stalled due to obdurate politics and a hesitant government, inflation is high and investment and consumption are down. Growth in key manufacturing and infrastructure has dipped sharply.

Services, usually a double-digit growth booster, are hovering around 8%. Most worryingly, farm growth is at a below 2% and a below-normal monsoon has been forecast. It is ironical that all this is happening under the leadership of an Oxford-educated economist.

The government has been attributing the downturn to the global economy catching a cold. But it is clearly more than that.

For clues listen to Bimal Jalan, former governor of India's central bank and a respected economist. "There's something happening that we are not quite in grips with so something needs to be done," he told a business channel.

Dr Jalan believes that a deeper structural and systemic problem is wreaking havoc with the economy.

"You can import as much oil as you want, you can pay for it because your reserves are high, and your exports are doing reasonably well even though they may not have done so well in one or two quarters. Your current account deficit is higher than you expected, but still we can afford it, there is no great problem. So what is it that's lacking and that we don't have?" he wonders.

What India doesn't have is a bipartisan, mature political consensus on the direction that the economy must take. How can a small group of politicians in the parliament stymie major reforms? Has India's politics and economy become hostage to petty interests, helped abundantly by a government which is seen as effete and weak?

A broken politics makes for a broken economy. Does India need political reforms first before it can even dream about moving on significant economic reforms?

BBC News - Is the India growth story over?

Superkaif, man, this was not expected from you..........
This is the 7th thread about the same topic.............Haven't people at PDF got anything better to do than argue over Indian Economy( A topic that is Banned by the way)??
If this keeps on going , I suggest another section by the name of Indian slowing Growth to be made.............this will save much time and energy and everyone can select a thread to have pointless discussions in, since no one seems to be in the mood of having constructive ones......:angry:

This recent article from the Economist, makes the point that India's GDP growth was only really "fast" during the short period from 2004-2007.

India's economy: A Bric hits the wall | The Economist

Only three years. Hardly enough to describe a trend, in fact for most of the past two decades India has been growing consistently at around 5-6%, which seems to be it's "natural" growth rate after their economic reforms.

The same people are making the same posts they made in other threads, and I bet the same people will thank them and the discussion will go the same way........
(ALL ON A BANNED TOPIC)

This is the 7th thread about the same topic.............Haven't people at PDF got anything better to do than argue over Indian Economy( A topic that is Banned by the way)??
If this keeps on going , I suggest another section by the name of Indian slowing Growth to be made.............this will save much time and energy and everyone can select a thread to have pointless discussions in, since no one seems to be in the mood of having constructive ones......:angry:

I read the BBC site regularly - if its good or bad news about our region (even if its Pakistan) i post it. If its offended you - I apologize but i wasnt aware of this being posted here before.

Banned topic ? Then why are Indian Users keep posting threads on China's economy ????

Banned topic ? Then why are Indian Users keep posting threads on China's economy ????

Because threads on China's economy (started by Indians) are running to 20+ pages and still not closed? :rofl:

If they don't close threads on China's economy, it would be hypocritical of them to close threads on India's economy.

india growth for next year expected about 5%

pak growth close to 5%

so india/pak next year will grow almost the same

Because threads on China's economy (started by Indians) are running to 20+ pages and still not closed? :rofl:

If they don't close threads on China's economy, it would be hypocritical of them to close threads on India's economy.
Even Pakistanis and Chinese create threads about China..............they too run to many pages........but funnily I don't see you there trying to have them close down.....:azn:

Even Pakistanis and Chinese create threads about China..............they too run to many pages........but funnily I don't see you there trying to have them close down.....:azn:

I don't try to close down any threads, even those ones that are obviously started by Indian members for the purposes of trolling. :wave:

Though if you are trying to say that I have a negative attitude towards anything to do with "India", then yes you are 100% correct. And frankly you guys deserve it, considering how much hate you spew against China and Chinese people.

I read the BBC site regularly - if its good or bad news about our region (even if its Pakistan) i post it. If its offended you - I apologize but i wasnt aware of this being posted here before.
posting here doesn't anger me- It is reposting of the same article that does........
It bores the people that actually want to have a constructive debate and gives a chance for India bashing......

pak growth close to 5%

But the biggest problem in India is CORRUPTION and it will not allow India to grow close to 5% :

India is going down and here’s why – Part-1
India is going down and here’s why – Part-1 « Craptivate

Reason 1:
CORRUPTION

India is being ruled by money. Money speaks everywhere. Corruption is on the rampage. It starts from the lowest level and extends all the way to the upper-most levels.

In the past one year and four months, a total of 4 scams, all of which involved several crores of our money, the Aam Aadmi’s money, have been exposed. This is just the tip of the iceberg. There are several other scams which are going on everyday in every office, Government or otherwise.

The only reason why these four have been publicised is because of the enormous amount of money involved.

Case in point:

2G Spectrum Scam: A.Raja, the Communications and IT Minister of India caused the largest political corruption case in modern Indian history, causing a loss of $40 Billlion to the Government of India. $40 Billion which could have been used to provide free food and education to all those who lack it. $40 Billion which could have repaid a part of our loan to the World Bank. $40 Billion which could have been used to improve the country’s infrastructure and get rid of the “Developing Nation” tag. A.Raja is currently in jail. But don’t worry, he will be out soon. The “Artist” will bring him out. After all, he was a DMK Minister.

Adarsh Housing Society Scam: The Adarsh Housing Society is a Cooperative society in Mumbai. It was reserved for the war widows and veterans of the Kargil War. In 2010, questions were raised on the way in which apartments were allocated to bureaucrats, politicos and army personnel who were probably sleeping when the Kargil War was going on and the way in which clearances were obtained for the construction. The Environment Minister, Jairam Ramesh sent a show-cause notice to Adarsh society and ordered the immediate demolition of the building. Hell, there is no respect for a true patriot who gives up his life for his Motherland. All they worship is money.

Commonwealth Games Scandal: To put it shortly, it was a fiasco. Agreed, the Games went on smoothly, but not before India’s international image had been reduced to that of a corrupt, ill-managed nation. Which it is, by the way .

There are several more incidents that can be quoted.

pak growth close to 5%

But the biggest problem in India is CORRUPTION and it will not allow India to grow close to 5% :

India is going down and here’s why – Part-1
India is going down and here’s why – Part-1 « Craptivate

Reason 1:
CORRUPTION

India is being ruled by money. Money speaks everywhere. Corruption is on the rampage. It starts from the lowest level and extends all the way to the upper-most levels.

In the past one year and four months, a total of 4 scams, all of which involved several crores of our money, the Aam Aadmi’s money, have been exposed. This is just the tip of the iceberg. There are several other scams which are going on everyday in every office, Government or otherwise.

The only reason why these four have been publicised is because of the enormous amount of money involved.

Case in point:

2G Spectrum Scam: A.Raja, the Communications and IT Minister of India caused the largest political corruption case in modern Indian history, causing a loss of $40 Billlion to the Government of India. $40 Billion which could have been used to provide free food and education to all those who lack it. $40 Billion which could have repaid a part of our loan to the World Bank. $40 Billion which could have been used to improve the country’s infrastructure and get rid of the “Developing Nation” tag. A.Raja is currently in jail. But don’t worry, he will be out soon. The “Artist” will bring him out. After all, he was a DMK Minister.

Adarsh Housing Society Scam: The Adarsh Housing Society is a Cooperative society in Mumbai. It was reserved for the war widows and veterans of the Kargil War. In 2010, questions were raised on the way in which apartments were allocated to bureaucrats, politicos and army personnel who were probably sleeping when the Kargil War was going on and the way in which clearances were obtained for the construction. The Environment Minister, Jairam Ramesh sent a show-cause notice to Adarsh society and ordered the immediate demolition of the building. Hell, there is no respect for a true patriot who gives up his life for his Motherland. All they worship is money.

Commonwealth Games Scandal: To put it shortly, it was a fiasco. Agreed, the Games went on smoothly, but not before India’s international image had been reduced to that of a corrupt, ill-managed nation. Which it is, by the way .

There are several more incidents that can be quoted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom