What's new

'Is Singapore my home, daddy?'

AADHAAR

Reaction score
'Is Singapore my home, daddy?'

"Is Singapore my home, daddy?"

A seemingly innocent question asked by my 4-year-old son.

Early Saturday morning, I brought him to Universal Studios Singapore at Sentosa. There was a performance by street dancers at the Sesame Street area.

It was a performance my son enjoyed. During a part of the performance, the dancers asked the audience which part of the world they came from. The dancer would announce the country followed by the audience response. Of the countries announced, there was a big response from the mainland Chinese, Philippines and Indians around.

Singapore was the last call. There were quite a few Singaporeans in the audience of course, but when Singapore was called out, most of them (me included), did not acknowledge the call, we just kept quiet.

After the performance ended and we walked away, my son asked me,"Is Singapore my home, Daddy?" A part of me died.

I wanted to tell him with all my heart, "Yes, of course! Thisis your home! You'll grow up here, work here, live here, get married and have kids here, and die here!"

But I couldn't... My brain reminded me that Singapore is a big business, a corporation. A place where Gross Domestic Product (GDP) is the KPI, a place where the elite live well while the poor suffer in silence, or be shamed if they voice out their discontent.

To anyone still reading at this point, let me tell you this: I'm an ordinary middle-income Singaporean. I work my way up the social and corporate ladder, have a Singaporean education, a Singaporean wife and all things Singaporean. I served my NS and completed my reservist, pay my income tax on time, and do the occasional volunteer/donation work at the neighbouring old folks home.

I work as hard as the guy next door, be they local or foreigner. My working hours are normal office hours (830am - 530pm) but on top of that, there are late night (sometimes as late as 12am), and early morning (as early as 7am) conference calls. My pay increment is minimal, not enough to even beat the yearly inflation, but I take these all in my stride. I don't grumble, I keep quiet, and I continue to work.

But some of my peers do not accept that. They quit, and what does the company do?

For every Singaporean worker that leaves, three foreigners come in to take his place. PMET positions, mind you. Not low-level positions.The whole mix in my company is around 30% local and 70% foreigner.

Many Singaporeans I see are becoming desperate now. The only job they can do is to drive taxis, be hawkers, small-time push cart business owners.

What about the jobs that are related to our education we spent almost17-20 years to get? They're all being snapped up by the so-called foreign "talents". "Talents" because they are not talents at all! They have totally unrelated educational background or working experience -- they do not know the terms and lingo in related fields. Some of them even have fake certificates.

The recent government policy calling for companies to place vacancies in the jobs bank for jobs under S$12,000 is not going to solve the problem as the selection criteria is still subjected to managers' own discretion. There is simply no way the government is able to influence the final selection of the candidate.

In my personal opinion, "hiring Singaporeans first" has to start from the heart and brain.

For a Singaporean hiring manager, he/she has to feel for fellow Singaporeans and make a sound decision to hire the best Singaporean in the selection process.

For non-Singaporean hiring manager, it is always compelling to hire their own country folk for emotional reasons but there has to be a thought process and confidence that Singaporean can also do the job. He/she has to know it is a MUST to consider Singaporeans first and hiring foreigners or people from his/her countries is the last resort.

And to answer the question asked by my son, I almost cried when I replied him, "Yes, this is our home, but only for now."

Mike Tan, 38
Technician

http://sg.news.**********/your-view---is-singapore-my-home--daddy---074813814.html

More interesting are the comments which followed... almost all unanimous and in one tone:
(go to the link for better reading of the comments .. I pasted the first ones, unformatted)

499 Comments
Popular Now
Newest
Oldest
Most Replied

86users liked this commentPlease sign in to rate a Thumb UpPlease sign in to rate a Thumb Down0users disliked this comment
Tricia • 3 hours agoReport Abuse
I am very ashamed to admit that I have the same sentiments. There is a lot of complains from bosses when our guys go for reservists. Our non Singaporean bosses staffs his department with people from the same country. I am a stranger in my own home.
11 Replies

3users liked this commentPlease sign in to rate a Thumb UpPlease sign in to rate a Thumb Down0users disliked this comment
DBT12 minutes agoReport Abuse
@Tricia - Needn't have to be ashamed of having such sentiment. Many local common folks also have the same feeling. That's say - those who have made us having such sentiment should be ashamed of their doings!

More

68users liked this commentPlease sign in to rate a Thumb UpPlease sign in to rate a Thumb Down0users disliked this comment
Bukit • 4 hours agoReport Abuse
Straits Times should print this acticle on the first page on Sunday Times with the headline 'Is Singapore my home, daddy?'
5 Replies .

205users liked this commentPlease sign in to rate a Thumb UpPlease sign in to rate a Thumb Down10users disliked this comment
tan • 7 hours agoReport Abuse
if the govt don't take the locals seriously, we don't have to take them seriously too. just vote them out.
9 Replies .

211users liked this commentPlease sign in to rate a Thumb UpPlease sign in to rate a Thumb Down11users disliked this comment
Criticise • 6 hours agoReport Abuse

... More
34 Replies .

140users liked this commentPlease sign in to rate a Thumb UpPlease sign in to rate a Thumb Down7users disliked this comment
Why Bother • 6 hours agoReport Abuse
We as a Singaporeans should ask ourselves! Is Singapore our home?! If yes, we should take charge and take care of our fellow citizens when the government is not acting!
9 Replies .

111users liked this commentPlease sign in to rate a Thumb UpPlease sign in to rate a Thumb Down5users disliked this comment
Charlene • 6 hours agoReport Abuse
Really sad to hear that, i fully shared the same sentiments as Mike. Where are all the Singaporean? Why are our surrounding filled with "FI"? Dear Singaporean, please stand up for yourself & your loved ones... 7 Replies .

101users liked this commentPlease sign in to rate a Thumb UpPlease sign in to rate a Thumb Down4users disliked this comment
Nigel • 6 hours agoReport Abuse
I wish to thank Yahoo for bringing this article to the social media that citizens may voice and express their grievances.

Whether MIWs read and respond accordingly in the positive at this point in time has become UNIMPORTANT!!!... More
Reply .

301users liked this commentPlease sign in to rate a Thumb UpPlease sign in to rate a Thumb Down22users disliked this comment
Yongqin • 6 hours agoReport Abuse
Well said, it really sadden me to see what Singapore is today under the Lee-dynasty.

... More
45 Replies .

90users liked this commentPlease sign in to rate a Thumb UpPlease sign in to rate a Thumb Down4users disliked this comment
Justitia • 6 hours agoReport Abuse
Mike Tan... I cried after reading your article.... because its true. Its true because its a fact. I feel sad that even a 4 year boy could sense it and ask such question... even I myself as an adult in my mid-40's asked myself the same question. IS SINGAPORE MY HOME ANYMORE ??? it all started with... More
2 Replies .

168users liked this commentPlease sign in to rate a Thumb UpPlease sign in to rate a Thumb Down12users disliked this comment
Lizardo • 7 hours agoReport Abuse
Sad sad sad... We're becoming refugees. 14 Replies .

32users liked this commentPlease sign in to rate a Thumb UpPlease sign in to rate a Thumb Down0users disliked this comment
A Yahoo User • 3 hours agoReport Abuse
this is what i told my officer when i go reservist " Now i come reservist is because there is no war, but when there is war i will go back grab a weapon and run away from this country because this is already not my home" 7 Replies .

47users liked this commentPlease sign in to rate a Thumb UpPlease sign in to rate a Thumb Down1users disliked this comment
Nes • 5 hours agoReport Abuse
Who created this mess???....who let the gate open???....who allowed all those influx to anyhow comes in???....even a 4 year old kid is feeling so stress now....

....................................SINKAPORE IS DOOMED......................................
3 Replies .

35users liked this commentPlease sign in to rate a Thumb UpPlease sign in to rate a Thumb Down0users disliked this comment
Wasu • 3 hours agoReport Abuse
Foreigners are now the owners of the country
Locals are the foreigners in their own country
1 Reply .

31users liked this commentPlease sign in to rate a Thumb UpPlease sign in to rate a Thumb Down0users disliked this comment
aristotle • 4 hours agoReport Abuse
So sad, so said... I'm crying now as I am a retiree in my 60s, having done NS in the pioneer batch.I cry for you, your son and my sons. And my country.
3 Replies .

100users liked this commentPlease sign in to rate a Thumb UpPlease sign in to rate a Thumb Down7users disliked this comment
JinDuLan • 6 hours agoReport Abuse
I have the same poignant sentiment. And we should let the government feel our indignation in the next GE.
2 Replies .

43users liked this commentPlease sign in to rate a Thumb UpPlease sign in to rate a Thumb Down1users disliked this comment
Watari • 4 hours agoReport Abuse
Singapore used to be our home. SOLD !!!! 2 Replies .

139users liked this commentPlease sign in to rate a Thumb UpPlease sign in to rate a Thumb Down12users disliked this comment
Tessa • 6 hours agoReport Abuse
It is true. I felt exactly the same way. The PAP government has to do the control at the immigration gates and NOT after they come in. Once they are in, it is very difficult to get rid of them. Just like ant infestation, you have to control at the source and kill the ant queen. Spraying insecticide... More
9 Replies .

53users liked this commentPlease sign in to rate a Thumb UpPlease sign in to rate a Thumb Down3users disliked this comment
G-Man • 6 hours agoReport Abuse
Just go stand outside ICA every morning and you will get the shock of your life! ICA is busy stamping PR's and Citizenships. Its like a conveyor belt of foreigners walking in for their PR's and Citizenships/ 6 years ago if you go to the citizenship counter at ICA it was like a ghost town and now... More
5 Replies .

89users liked this commentPlease sign in to rate a Thumb UpPlease sign in to rate a Thumb Down7users disliked this comment
The Unwanted • 6 hours agoReport Abuse
Well said my true blue singaporeans.What our gvt and MOM had done?NOTHING for the past 20 yrs.our kids are the worst hit do we expect from Foreign company and the HR manager is a bloody FT.thank you 60% and pap WE will only put our hope in 2016.VOTE YOU OUT.
1 Reply .

83users liked this commentPlease sign in to rate a Thumb UpPlease sign in to rate a Thumb Down7users disliked this comment
Tham Wai Loon • 6 hours agoReport Abuse
Dear Writer, I almost cry reading your article. Please hang on.. we have to fight.. we have to take back our home come 2016..

He he he.......I see you left out some even more interesting comments. I am sure you couldn’t have missed it.

a2d2c3po • 6 hours ago Report Abuse
If foreigners are indispensable for the survival of our country, employ them but ensure that the number is kept to a minimum. However, do not grant SPR or citizenship to employment pass holders like in the past. Just yesterday I was disgusted with a foreigner from I believe to be of Indian descent. He boarded the MRT train at Tanah Merah with his wife and infant baby. His wife and baby got a priority seat but this strong young man refused to be seated 3 seats away from his wife. He used his hand to make me, an old man of 67 and my neighbor a middle-age Malay man move over in order that he could be seated next to his wife. He did not open his mouth but used his hand to make us moved like he was driving away cattle in India. I was so angry that I gave him a good telling off and reminded him that he was lucky to have a vacant seat available. Furthermore I told him that a strong, young man like him should be standing to make way of many who are in need of a seat more than he did. He was embarrassed and apologized. I hope this guy is not a SPR or citizen of our cultured nation. Even in Singapore he behaved like a Maharajah of India although I believe he is only a bank or IT employee.

smf • 8 hours ago Report Abuse
Great for you to put the man in his place. I am coming across more such Maharajahs and Maharajanes. If they are not assimilated well, it will create a groundswell of resentment. We should stand firm against being treated like this in our 'home'. I was told it is a carryover of their 'caste' system, which they will do well to leave behind in India.

Kev • 5 hours ago Report Abuse
Yeah, some of these Indians act like they have bought the whole of Singapore. They behave like the lowest caste though they could be the richer or the highest caste in India !

The so-called foreign talents are mainlanders...

Chinese governments all over the world are the same. They are GARBAGE!!! Foreign Master worshipers and oppressing the Chinese people. Serving Foreign Master first and then Chinese people second (just to make sure they don't rebelled). HK, Taiwan and Singapore, all are the same.

Why all Chinese countries have low minimum salary standard compare with Europe, Japan and US? That because WE ARE SLAVES!!!

It's time for the REVOLUTIONS!!! EVERYONE SHOULD TAKE ON THE STREET AND HELD MASSIVE PROTEST! BAN THE CURRENT EVIL TRAITOROUS POLITICAL PARTIES!!!

PS: For the mainlander members here...don't get to existing and happy, because YOUR GOVERNMENT IS 1000 TIMES WORSE THAN OURS!!! REMEMBER MAO'S CULTURAL REVOLUTION AND WHAT YOUR GOVERNMENT HAD DONE TO OUR CHINESE CIVILIZATION!!!

He he he.......I see you left out some even more interesting comments. I am sure you couldn’t have missed it.

If foreigners are indispensable for the survival of our country, employ them but ensure that the number is kept to a minimum. However, do not grant SPR or citizenship to employment pass holders like in the past. Just yesterday I was disgusted with a foreigner from I believe to be of Indian descent. He boarded the MRT train at Tanah Merah with his wife and infant baby. His wife and baby got a priority seat but this strong young man refused to be seated 3 seats away from his wife. He used his hand to make me, an old man of 67 and my neighbor a middle-age Malay man move over in order that he could be seated next to his wife. He did not open his mouth but used his hand to make us moved like he was driving away cattle in India. I was so angry that I gave him a good telling off and reminded him that he was lucky to have a vacant seat available. Furthermore I told him that a strong, young man like him should be standing to make way of many who are in need of a seat more than he did. He was embarrassed and apologized. I hope this guy is not a SPR or citizen of our cultured nation. Even in Singapore he behaved like a Maharajah of India although I believe he is only a bank or IT employee.

Great for you to put the man in his place. I am coming across more such Maharajahs and Maharajanes. If they are not assimilated well, it will create a groundswell of resentment. We should stand firm against being treated like this in our 'home'. I was told it is a carryover of their 'caste' system, which they will do well to leave behind in India.

Yeah, some of these Indians act like they have bought the whole of Singapore. They behave like the lowest caste though they could be the richer or the highest caste in India !

Stupid . .I live in Singapore. and for quite long.

This is just about why all countries don't do a "Singapore" ... and perhaps the big ones can't.

40% of residents in Singapore .. are foreigners .. and are rich (if you leave the maids or construction workers).

If 40% of residents in India .. were to be foreigners .. and rich ... -> first question is are there 480 million rich people in the world?

And the other point is, which is raised in the article itself ... Singaporeans are much better off .. living off the earnings of foreign talent ... but they have had to accept a relavitely poorer status ... than those foreigners themselves.

Off course the foreigners themeselves set a quite high benchmark for "richness" ... so Singaporeans are still well-off by world standards.

The so-called foreign talents are mainlanders...

Yes, mainlanders are talented in driving the bus.

http://sg.news. yahoo . com /singapore-deport-chinese-bus-drivers-strike-135807638.html

Yes, mainlanders are talented in driving the bus.

http://sg.news. yahoo . com /singapore-deport-chinese-bus-drivers-strike-135807638.html

People said Singaporean government is serving Foreign Master and enslaving Chinese people is true.

There are 1 millions of mainlanders in Singapore. Many of them held a good position, as they are work harder and willingly to be paid smaller than the local, because they were experiencing a massive poverty in China before.

There are also a massive influx of talents from around SE Asia, where their skills are not appreciated by their own government.

Personal insults do not score you any points. I just added some comments you left out. That is all. Nothing more.

And you living in Singapore does not mean I have not live and work in Singapore.

Well. then don't give it an ethnic angle.

I was talking only the economic angle ...

The thing is Singaporeans are very well off compared to others in the surrounding regions ... but they are upset because they are not as well off as the foreigners who came, invested or worked to make singapore rich.

And then Singapore it too small .. and hence unique. A big country would be hard put to attract so many rich foreigners.

As I said, the world does not have 480 million rich people which could move to India, and make it a mega-Singapore.

Pretty much the same for china too.... however, china is closer to the Saudi Arabia model (on a mild scale) .. since they dig out a huge amount of mineral wealth.

The closest India could get to emulating is a Japan model.. but even that is quite far. I believe the Japanese model involves quite a bit of self-inflited brutality on yourself. Hence, would never work in India.

Ahh.. the India model, then for India. :laugh:

-- Do smart work; not hard work. That's better. :tup:

I feel sad reading the article.

The regime of Lee Kuan Yew has done this to them.

Does anyone know the make up of the foreigners living in Singapore?

I feel sad reading the article.

The regime of Lee Kuan Yew has done this to them.

Does anyone know the make up of the foreigners living in Singapore?

Foreigners are good for Singapore .. without them Singapore could have been same as Malaysia or Indonesia... perhaps worse, it doesn't hvae oil.

Yes, some singaporeans may feel low ... if they are unable to buy a $ 2,500 ladies purse in Marina Bay Sands ... It's just a matter of expectations. .and comparing yourself to super-rich.

I pay tax to the Singpaore govt, which is slightly less than the annual per capita income of singapore.
(natually, I would have liked Indian govt to earn those taxes of my hard work, since they paid for my education / growing up !!)

A singapore family enjoys on the rent I pay them, which again totals slightly less than the per capita income. The landlord does not work .. just enjoys on the rent !!! -- otherwise a real estate agent (perhaps, for namesake) .. real estate agents can only be singaporeans.

Then, whatever I buy .. atleast my living expenses ... Singapore govt earns a 7% GST, and the shopowners their profit margin.

---- Add all these items, I am nothing but an agent transferring money from Europe to Singapore .. since my employer who eventually pays for everything which I pay for (thru my salary) is a European bank and serving clients mostly outside Singapore.

It's a funny world ... I want my tax money to go to Indian govt, I don't want to pay exhorbitant rent in a costly city, where spoilt landlord makes merry on the rent and does no work, and you buy everything $hit costly in the stores. And I still do it, because my savings would be somewhat higher than what I could save in Mumbai doing a similar damn job.

The the funny thing is that. .I think I am doing singaporeans a favour. .and the singaporeans think they are doing me a favour. :shrug:

What is the make up of the foreigners in Singapore?

How many of the foreigners are Indian, Chinese, Pinoy, Yankee, British, etc?

LOL....the writer was so "cultured" that he is showing his Racist mindset in the article. There is nothing to indicate that the Indian decent man was not a Singaporean, but the writer (who appears to be an ethnic chinese) shows crass racist attitude pretending that singapore somehow belongs to those of chinese descent :lol:

In any case the Indian man had the sensitivity to realize his mistake and good manners and grace to apologize for his behavior. The chinese writer shows neither grace nor understanding. Truly a disgusting, uncivilized and uncultured poster.

Put the man in his place ? what is exactly "his" place? as a second class citizen ? :coffee:

Again the same uncivilized and uncultured Racist epithets somehow indicating Singapore is the "Home" of those of Chinese descent :lol:

Again the same Racist and hate filled "caste" ...... too bad he did not mention "toilets" :lol:

Again the same Racist epithets. :lol:

But in reality We must thank you for posting them .............clearly you saw nothing wrong in what was written :lol: . You come from the same class of people who wrote this comments. :sick:

What is the make up of the foreigners in Singapore?

How many of the foreigners are Indian, Chinese, Pinoy, Yankee, British, etc?

don't know . .but chinese from china are probably the least (!! i say "probably" !!) .. because Singapore is an English country (anybody who doesn't agree has never been Singapore !!); even Filipinos have better English skills than chinese -- but still Filipinos I've seen are mostly the maids (where English speaking is a big asset).

In any case, chinese maids are banned, since they used to start dating or sex-related activities targeting Singaporeans of chinese ancestory.

Those who struggle in English ... work in construction / labour intensive jobs. Or perhaps, bus driving.

If you want to look for chinese in singapore.. it's basically Singaporeans (of chinese ancestory), and off course they know good English, hence you can find them in well-to-do jobs as well.

Apart from that, chinese come to Singapore via Europe (i.e. they went to UK or France or USA to study first .. .and hence already learnt English)

I wonder What is Singaporean mean?
Is that mean Native people of that Island or some Foreigners who flooding that tiny Island and took it from Native People?

Stupid . .I live in Singapore. and for quite long.

40% of residents in Singapore .. are foreigners .. and are rich (if you leave the maids or construction workers).

Define "rich"? What you are saying is foreigners less Maid & Construction workers are all rich?? Makes no sense
Total non residents in Singapore are about 1.86 Million, 43% are non PMET which by your statement leaves about 1 Million so called "rich" foreigners. (and almost any rich PMET works in a bank, are you saying 1 Million foreigners all work in Banks?)

Foreigners are good for Singapore .. without them Singapore could have been same as Malaysia or Indonesia... perhaps worse, it doesn't hvae oil.

What a bunch of BS, Foreigners are good for Singapore but without them our country would still stay strong because our GDP comes from our key strengths which are shipping, oil refining etc, long before foreigners came we were already strong.

Businesses like coming to Singapore where its good to do business, and when the businesses came Foreigners came as well Singapore being so safe your daughter can walk the streets at 3 am or take a taxi without fear of getting raped or something nastier.

Our national reserves at 2007 was 234 Billion, this came from accumulation long before foreigners flooded the country and without so call Oil or natural reserves to contribute. It was all a result of good governance since 1980's.

Personally I don't have any issues with foreigners, and I do enjoy the interaction with my teammates from India, Germany, France and UK (exceptions are some uppity ones that think Singapore owes them for their so called contribution pfft, IMO not happy F*ckoff some other person will take your place in a heartbeat)

Unfortunately Singapore does not have a social welfare net, people listen to LKY and GCT to pick up skills in Uni like engineering to keeps Singapore Core strength up only to find the new government has put emphasis on other industry like finance that pays umpteen times more while opening the floodgates to foreigners in some misguided policy to boost the population. If the government gave social benefits it would be alot different.

Singapore is too good a place to let any Tom dick or harry to stroll in, everyday I get calls from agents looking to place their India, Myanmar, China etc job seekers within the firm.

At the end of the day only a minority of the population are benefiting from the rental income and other income streams of foreigners. The rest of the populace are struggling day to day and that needs to be addressed.

Luckily the government is already taking strong steps in this area by making it harder for business to employ foreigners without placing locals first (like many other countries), but its needs to be stronger. Its the governments fault really for creating this mess which they are now trying to clean up before the 2016 elections.

I wonder What is Singaporean mean?
Is that mean Native people of that Island or some Foreigners who flooding that tiny Island and took it from Native People?

Not sure but the native population were originally Malays and Singapore was a part of Malaysia.

Malaysia gave Singapore away really so it belongs to Singaporeans free and clear. Singapore for Singaporeans

Seeing no alternative to avoid further bloodshed, the Malaysian Prime Minister Tunku Abdul Rahman decided to expel Singapore from the federation. The Parliament of Malaysia voted 126-0 in favour of the expulsion on 9 August 1965. On that day, a tearful Lee Kuan Yew announced on a televised press conference that Singapore was a sovereign, independent nation. In a widely remembered quote, he uttered that: "For me, it is a moment of anguish. All my life, my whole adult life, I have believed in the merger and unity of the two territories."[5] The new state became the Republic of Singapore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Republic_of_Singapore

Back
Top Bottom