What's new

Is Magdalene the child of a lesser God?

hope this time the judges or a ghairatmand pakistani official (if there is any !??) wakes up and provide justice to this unfortunate pakistani girl and her family justice and punish all those responsible for this act (as per the reports were 6 men involved)

Hope that guy should be punished.
In india also there was a case of a nurse aruna who was brutally assaulted and raped by the ward boy of the hospital

but what commove me most is that the guy got convicted just for

7 YEARS

It was one of those terrible travesties of justice where he was jailed for robbery and attempt to murder. He is said to be working even today as a ward boy under an assumed name in a Delhi hospital.

Here is the story of aruna

We in India have a habit of letting history repeat itself. Especially when it comes to our women and children.

When I opened the newspaper on Monday morning and read about the nurse who was raped in a Delhi hospital, my heart sank.

This was Aruna Shanbaug revisited. I don’t know how many times her story has been repeated in the 30 years since she was raped and has been lying in semi-coma at a Mumbai hospital.

Aruna was on duty one November night in 1973 at the King Edward Memorial Hospital when a wardboy-cum-sweeper of the hospital, Sohanlal Bharta Valmiki, accosted her, wrapped a dogchain round her neck and while beating her brutally, raped her.

He took her earrings and watch and left her there, bleeding, till the next morning. He also took with him, her power of speech, her capacity to move and her eyesight.

In throttling her with the chain, he had shut off blood supply to the parts of her brain that are responsible for these functions.

The case made headlines, there was national outrage. Letters of protest poured in from the medical fraternity of Mumbai. Sohanlal was arrested in Pune.

His case came for hearing the following year by which time, he had already spent a year in jail. He was sentenced to seven years imprisonment for stealing, and another seven years for having tried to harm her fatally. Both sentences were to run concurrently. As he had already spent a year behind bars, six years later, he was a free man. He took up a job as a wardboy in a Delhi hospital.

He was never tried for rape because no one had lodged a complaint and during the medical examination, Aruna’s hymen was found intact. The court decided there was no rape.

The doctor, to whom she was engaged, after two years of untiring efforts to revive her, moved on. Even her family has abandoned her.

Today, she screams at the sound of a man’s voice, her last living memory.

Aruna Shanbaug was denied justice and this can happen anywhere. Men like Sohanlal Bharta exist everywhere because there is no fear of the law left in them.
:cry::cry:

That lanaati should be castrated and dropped on his head the same way this poor nurse fell.

How revolting is his face, the other 6 with him and their 'political' backers should all be locked up in dire situation.

Is there any hope for justice?
by Sana Saleem on 07 20th, 2010 | Comments (22)

A 22-year-old trainee nurse was found unconscious in the lawn of a mess in the JPMC residential area on July 13. Upon examination, it was discovered that she was gang-raped and had allegedly jumped out of the window of an apartment in an attempt to escape.

The victim is still at the Intensive Care Unit at Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre (JPMC). Even so, as she slips in and out of consciousness, oblivious to her surroundings, she has managed to appeal for help.

For the over 350 nurses working in ward 24 of JPMC, harassment is not a new phenomenon but it was this victim’s gang-rape which compelled them to protest and go on strike in solidarity. It is deplorable that such an incident has taken place in a state-run hospital. Even worse is the fact that the rapist, Dr. Jabbar Memon, is a medico-legal officer who has an authority to investigate and determine criminal offences and, has the final word when it comes to analysing a crime and proving that an assault took place based on medical records. Memon has had a notorious reputation for harassing nurses at the hospital. When people like Memon are in charge, one can only imagine the kind of influence they have and the number of alleged rapists and criminals they might have helped escape. The incident makes one question if there is any hope for justice.

It’s devastating to learn that the victim had been complaining about being harassed by Memon long before the assault took place and she wasn’t the only one. But their pleas fell on deaf ears. Although, the Work Place Harassment Bill has been passed, her case is a classic example of how harassment in workplaces is hardly taken as a serious matter. Most of the times, such incidents are swept under the rug, which gives a freehand to the assailant and makes the victims vulnerable to such instances in the future. Institutions and companies prefer concealing facts to safeguard their reputation rather than taking a strong stance.
Even though Memon was sacked after the medico-legal report proved him guilty, he continues to receive medical care in a private institution whereas as the victim is still being treated in a government hospital. Is this what we call justice?

The victim’s family continues to receive threats and have requested for police protection. While she continues to fight for her life, there seems to be little hope for the working women who continue to put up with harassment on a daily basis. Mere laws will not help solve the problem at hand, the only solution is for the organisations and institutions to ensure maximum protection for their employees. No laws or legislatives can guarantee protection until those working within these places decide to take such matters seriously. Sana Saleem is a Features Editor at BEE magazine and blogs at Global Voices

Can somebody educate these suicide bombers if they kill people like this MLO, they might have some fan following.

Last edited:
The fault lies with the society as a whole. There is an attitude in Pakistan that while your own women should be kept locked and chaste, it is okay for you to fornicate with other peoples daughters and wives, be it thru force or thru exploitation. That is why women are asked to run naked as punishment for the sins of their male relations or ordered to be raped in revenge as happened with Mukhtaran Mai.

This is limit of the hypocrisy. While JI stalwarts would stop women running in the marathon, village mullahs either shut up or approve when tribal elders of south Punjab and rural Sindh order degrading punishments to helpless women. Any woman forced to venture out alone even in the cities, is not safe and we dare to call ourselves followers of Islam?

Regret to admit that this is only the tip of the Ice berg and only came to light because to freedom of the media. Only Allah knows how many village females belonging to the down trodden are either raped or forced to submit to the carnal desire of the powerful. Most of the victims keep quite due the shame that follows when the event becomes well-known. Yes women belonging to lower strata of the soceity are children of the lesser Gods.

The fault lies with the society as a whole. There is an attitude in Pakistan that while your own women should be kept locked and chaste, it is okay for you to fornicate with other peoples daughters and wives, be it thru force or thru exploitation. That is why women are asked to run naked as punishment for the sins of their male relations or ordered to be raped in revenge as happened with Mukhtaran Mai.

This is limit of the hypocrisy. While JI stalwarts would stop women running in the marathon, village mullahs either shut up or approve when tribal elders of south Punjab and rural Sindh order degrading punishments to helpless women. Any woman forced to venture out alone even in the cities, is not safe and we dare to call ourselves followers of Islam?

Regret to admit that this is only the tip of the Ice berg and only came to light because to freedom of the media. Only Allah knows how many village females belonging to the down trodden are either raped or forced to submit to the carnal desire of the powerful. Most of the victims keep quite due the shame that follows when the event becomes well-known. Yes women belonging to lower strata of the soceity are children of the lesser Gods.

yes big thanks to Media that these stories are coming to light , the women part is sure sad also what about these Drs and other so caled professionals working for public sectors govt organisation.

its a disturbingly sad event worst part is this rapist is a Dr an MLO a senior officer in one of the largest & busiest govt hospital in karachi.

Let me tell you a few things about MLOs. The Medico-Legal officer is the one that deals with all the cases of murders and crime related emergencies in the hospital.As these are often crime related, there is a lot of money involved.It therefore hardly ever attracts the right kind of doctors.These guys occupy these posts on the basis of great "sifarish" and their only reason for getting on the postsis the "bakshish" that the poor unfrtunate people have to pay them to get out of trouble, even if they have not caused it themselves. So lets get out of this notion of this being an islolated occurance. having studied in SMC and worked for a little while in JPMC myself , I know the kind of people that go for these posts. I have known previous MLOs who have neded up in jail, though not for the same reasons. So in essence the job ins an aweful one and full of shady characters who have a streak of evil in them to begin with.
As to the man having been shifted to a private hospital.You know that our Dear President, when he was in jail in the days of Nawaz Sharif often was admitted to JPMC under the care of a certain doctor who now owns an even bigger hospital than the one his dad built(hint Hint).
The bottom line is that in the absence of justice, it is a matter of whom you know. There is a list of scumand paracites who survive by scratching each others backs. He is merely a cog in this whole wreched game, who has gained prominence, otherwise there are many far worse than him.
Araz

Ice_man
Please maintain the decorum of this forum.There is no need for foul language . I would appreciate it if you would amend your post yourself.
Kind regards
Araz

Ice_man
Please maintain the decorum of this forum.There is no need for foul language . I would appreciate it if you would amend your post yourself.
Kind regards
Araz

arite boss! :tup:

even though i don't think i said something which wasn't true!! but i will amend it anyway :coffee:

Let me tell you a few things about MLOs. The Medico-Legal officer is the one that deals with all the cases of murders and crime related emergencies in the hospital.As these are often crime related, there is a lot of money involved.It therefore hardly ever attracts the right kind of doctors.These guys occupy these posts on the basis of great "sifarish" and their only reason for getting on the postsis the "bakshish" that the poor unfrtunate people have to pay them to get out of trouble, even if they have not caused it themselves. So lets get out of this notion of this being an islolated occurance. having studied in SMC and worked for a little while in JPMC myself , I know the kind of people that go for these posts. I have known previous MLOs who have neded up in jail, though not for the same reasons. So in essence the job ins an aweful one and full of shady characters who have a streak of evil in them to begin with.
As to the man having been shifted to a private hospital.You know that our Dear President, when he was in jail in the days of Nawaz Sharif often was admitted to JPMC under the care of a certain doctor who now owns an even bigger hospital than the one his dad built(hint Hint).
The bottom line is that in the absence of justice, it is a matter of whom you know. There is a list of scumand paracites who survive by scratching each others backs. He is merely a cog in this whole wreched game, who has gained prominence, otherwise there are many far worse than him.
Araz

do this specific kind of Drs MLO's etc actually study for the degree ? it seems that after the parliamentarians govt (if interested !!?) should check degrees of people recruited in the govt sector i read cowasjees article today and what he highlihted in even more dangerous , will post after this message.

i believe the fact that women in our society are scared to ocme forward and report incidents of harrasment the reason being our MALE DOMINATED SOCIETY will always blame the women & her character!!

but above all the biggest problem is HYPOCRISY i am sure if it was DR.JABBAR's own family member a victim here he would have ensured swift justice through his influential backers!!

the problem is in our society a women is supposed to stay quiet & just live with harassment!!

if anyone on this forum has been to MURRRE they would know the main murree mall road is actually nicknamed PUNDI road!! because MEN of all ages sit & stare at women passing by!!

same goes for some places in karachi,lahore,peshwar & quetta(let me not even get started on quetta)!!!

unfortunately there is no capping of MALE FRUSTRATION in our society!!

Back
Top Bottom