What's new

Is it possible to convert su-30 into stealth or semi stealth?

we can install weapons pod on MKI like US did with super hornet.

Good point.Really good point.Last week fox history was showing the EFT.The engineer told that infrared signature can be reduced upto 40 percent by shaping the engine nosels.Same thing can be applied to MKIs.But no matter how much you try the exhaust fume of the turbofan engines can be reduced only to a certain extent and still be a 'testy' arget for latest FLIR devices like russian OLS 50 and imagaging infrared homing AAMs like ASRAAM which are virtually jam proof.Only things you can do is to use a powerful EWS and an AESA radar that has a peak power of 30kw so that by consentrating the energy to a missile to hopefuly disable it.
REGARDS........

for bolded part > true. i watched a show on discovery. in show they showed two jet engines. one normal another with improved engine nozzles. they started both engines and showed video of both engines taken by using infrared camera. the engine with improved nozzles was emitting shorter heat wave.

i guess USA started using improved nozzles due to costly jet losses in Vietnam and in later part of Vietnam war all us fighter jets had improved nozzles.

perhaps even all these technics be used plane might be seen from all aesa raddars on plane but hard to use fire and forget missile uses raddar as low power raddar hard to detect plane. this benifit can be get by make over.

first time see the weapon bay stealthy,

Wow. I didn't know that they are working on an F-18 that way :D

But still, for an aircraft to be 'stealth', it has to designed from scratch.

Some of the key factors for the design of a stealth aircraft are:

-Shaping
-Coatings and absorbers
-High temperature coatings
-Component design
-Reducing infrared radiation

Addressing many of those factors require a completely new design. The modifications on the F-15 SE and this F-18 don't necessarily qualify as 'stealth'.

My opinion though.

They have achieved a certain amount of frontal stealth.

angeldemon_007 There was no need to create a new the thread. We have already discussed on this issue. Also since you have asked said:
I did not know about old once that it was discussed. perhaps its going to give more details.

It might be possible to reduce the SU-30's RCS though modifications similar to the F-15 Silent Eagle. But certainly not 'stealth'.

For aircraft to be 'stealthy', it has to be designed from scratch. More feasible to wait for the FGFA.

That's the point, "stealth" starts with an specially designed airframe, which is the biggest contributor for such a low RCS. Anything else is mainly reduction of the RCS. An F15 Silent Eagle don't carry any external weapon, or fuel tanks, which is a great point to reduce the RCS, but still is not comparable to an 5th gen fighter, because the lack of the stealth design!

So an MKI can only reduce it's RCS, but not be "stealthy", even if it gets weapon pods, or internal weapon bays, while the easiest way to reduce the RCS is to add coatings (if that wasn't already done).

af_radar_capabilities.gif

af_radar_bvr.gif

What Mr Vibs tried to say that if your fighter has an onboard AESA radar powerful enough(atleast a peakpower of 30kilo watt)then you can fry the opponent's electronics by concentrating your AESA beam towards the enemy fighter.He should have used the word 'fry' rather than 'jam'.
The F 22Raptor can do this with its AESA radar whibh has over 2000 GaN t/r modules.Check their website.
REGARDS....

and vids

"FRY ENEMY RADDAR,MISSILES OR ELECTRONICS"

High-Power Microwave

Meanwhile, the U.S. Air Force is planning on using intense microwave radiation as an advanced weapon for its F-22 jet fighter. Recent advances in microcircuit technology have led to the development of the AESA (advanced electronically scanned array) radar for the F-22.

The AESA radar was intended to give the F-22 unmatched air-to-air combat ability to detect and target enemy warplanes long before they could detect the F-22. The AESA is powered by hundreds of microchip radar emitters stacked together into a large array antenna.

The radar is so powerful that Pentagon officials are now describing it as an HPM or high-powered microwave beam weapon.

The AESA radar has proven to be so adept and powerful that it can overwhelm, jam and even intercept enemy communications. The computer-controlled radar can use the latest information warfare spy algorithm to insert false data or plant a computer virus intended to bug and monitor the enemy communications.

The F-22 has also demonstrated the AESA radar can penetrate the sophisticated electronic guidance systems of a missile in flight and disable it. Pentagon engineers are testing the radar against a variety of missile threats, showing that the radar can burn out, or disable missile guidance systems.

The performance of the AESA radar has been so impressive that Pentagon officials are investigating the possibility of building large phased array radar that could focus microwave energy on ballistic missile warheads. Researchers say that they can focus radar energy to disable enemy guidance and warhead electronics at ranges of over 62 miles.

Adm. Timothy Keating, chief of North American Aerospace Defense Command, confirmed that the Pentagon is working on advanced high-power microwave weapons based on the AESA radar.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2005/10/11/212926.shtml

SOURCE:

www.patricksaviation.com/forums/thread.php?t=641

New Radar or New Weapon?

Another item raising questions inside Western intelligence circles is what the Chinese radar plane was testing when it went down. According to Fisher, the electronics installed on the KJ-2000 and Y-8 "Balance Beam" aircraft can be used for far more than simple tracking.

"Both platforms are testing different types of active phased array radar, which can serve as a highly flexible and difficult-to-jam radar, or if refined via software and more capable transmit-receive modules, can also become a microwave weapon that can directly attack enemy electronics," stated Fisher.

"For example, if they can 'see' an approaching AIM-120 AMRAAM air-to-air missile, the most important U.S.-made air-to-air missile, then it can also likely 'fry' the missile's microchips, rendering it inoperable," stated Fisher.

The U.S. Air Force has already demonstrated the capability of powerful scanned array radar systems. The AESA (Advanced Electronically Scanned Array) radar fitted on the F-22 Raptor demonstrated that it can penetrate the sophisticated electronic guidance systems of a missile in flight and disable it.

Pentagon engineers are testing the radar against a variety of missile threats. The tests have already demonstrated that the AESA radar can burn out or disable missile guidance systems.

The AESA radar has proven to be so adept and powerful that it can overwhelm, jam and even intercept enemy communications. The computer-controlled radar can use the latest information warfare spy algorithms to insert false data or plant a computer virus intended to bug and monitor the enemy communications.

There is evidence that China is trying to develop similar radar-based weapons. According to the 2006 Pentagon report on Chinese military power, PRC officials have publicly indicated their intent to acquire advanced microwave weapons such as the AESA as a means of defeating technologically advanced military forces.

"Chinese writings have suggested that RF (Radio Frequency) weapons could be used against C4ISR, guided missiles, computer networks, electronically-fused mines, aircraft carrier battle groups, and satellites in orbit," states the report.

"Analysis of Chinese technical literature indicates a major effort is underway to develop the technologies required for RF weapons, including high-power radio frequency sources, prime-power generators, and antennas to radiate RF pulses. Chinese scientists are also investigating the effects of RF pulses on electronics and the propagation of these pulses through building walls and through the atmosphere. Furthermore, China appears to be assessing its own vulnerability to RF weapons and exploring ways to 'harden' electronics," notes the Pentagon report.

SOURCE: archive.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2006/6/14/153735.shtml

An emitter powerful enough can damage microchips.That's why DRDO used 'Faraday cages' on the microchips used in LCA for emp hardening. AWACS are very powerful as compared to fighter radars.I read somewhere that even our Phalcon has very strong electronic attack capabilitx though I can not confirm it.LRDE scientists have told that the Sword fish mk1 LRTR can track a cricket ball sized netal object from 500+ km and has pick energy output of over 2 mW,way higher than the radar of F 22.So it has definately even higher electronic attack capability,though it is not in publick.
REGARDS....

F-15 isn't stealth at all, its just a low observable aircraft. It'll have a RCS of around 1-2 sq meters.
and you know this Because? do you work at Boeing?

the Silent Eagle does have frontal RCS of export variants of F-35 which is beyond anything Russia can come up today...

Jammers can't jam AESA radars. So RCS reduction is indeed necessary.
I begg to differ, a Powerful LPI AESA Radar Jammer can and has been able to Jam even the most deadly Air fighter ever built(F-22) keep in mind it uses one the most advance AESA Radars...
The Growler advance Jammers were able to keep the F-22 from getting a lock on him making the Growler the first ever Active(no passive lie RAM) stealth Air Craft ever

They say a pic is worth 1000 words...

Wow. I didn't know that they are working on an F-18 that way :D
F-18 or the Cobra platform was built from the ground up to have stealthy canted vertical stabilizers... and the Growler type has supperior jammers...

I begg to differ,...
And I beg to differ.

...a Powerful LPI AESA Radar Jammer...
No such thing. There is no such thing as an 'LPI AESA Radar Jammer'.

...can and has been able to Jam even the most deadly Air fighter ever built(F-22) keep in mind it uses one the most advance AESA Radars...
The Growler advance Jammers were able to keep the F-22 from getting a lock on him making the Growler the first ever Active(no passive lie RAM) stealth Air Craft ever
There is something called the 'home on jam' feature that will zero in on the direction of the jamming signals.

That was a nice picture but until you can provide a credible source with details on the engagement, I will take my odds with the F-22.

and you know this Because? do you work at Boeing?

the Silent Eagle does have frontal RCS of export variants of F-35 which is beyond anything Russia can come up today...

I begg to differ, a Powerful LPI AESA Radar Jammer can and has been able to Jam even the most deadly Air fighter ever built(F-22) keep in mind it uses one the most advance AESA Radars...

They say a pic is worth 1000 words...

What in the world is API AESA?? I know the picture is a Growler (Super Hornet variant specializing in electronic warfare), but what does it show? :blink: And no, the Growler is not a 'stealth' aircraft :lol:

S&B is correct in his assessment about the F-15 Silent Eagle though. Its not a 'stealth' aircraft, but has features that'll lowers its RCS. For an aircraft to be 'stealthy', it has to be designed from scratch.

Back
Top Bottom