What's new

Is India's soft power effective?

relativiti

Reaction score
India has relied on the soft power and diplomacy to the max extent on international issues. so i would like to know your views on whether everything and anything can be solved using these or sometimes u need to show some action, especially when countries are viewing you as a UNSC permanent seat holder

India has relied on the soft power and diplomacy to the max extent on international issues. so i would like to know your views on whether everything and anything can be solved using these or sometimes u need to show some action, especially when countries are viewing you as a UNSC permanent seat holder

We have used both soft power and military power, where ever possible. Now a days, economic power is more important, and we are on right track to be a economic powerhouse.

We have used both soft power and military power, where ever possible. Now a days, economic power is more important, and we are on right track to be a economic powerhouse.

agreed....but what if the adversary is arrogant, really arrogant.....like pak or china?? i'm not saying that india should be war mongering but show of strength and real time military warnings are becoming quiet necessary

agreed....but what if the adversary is arrogant, really arrogant.....like pak or china?? i'm not saying that india should be war mongering but show of strength and real time military warnings are becoming quiet necessary

We are slowly building a very capable and potent military for that.

Military power can't be used in every cases, sometimes economic and political sanctions impart greater effect than military actions.

Don't recognize soft power for no meaning. Maybe software power India really has.
Military action is the only way to show power of a nation with substantial effect.

Military power can't be used in every cases, sometimes economic and political sanctions impart greater effect than military actions.

for that the adversary must be significantly dependent on you for military and economic stuffs i don't know how much china and pak are dependent

Don't recognize soft power for no meaning. Maybe software power India really has.
Military action is the only way to show power of a nation with substantial effect.

military power is the most important one along with other tools of soft power..both are essential.

Softpower matters a lot...for eg: u can see how we have changed our relationship with america ..

in 1970's we were one step away from being called enemies..but in 4 decades..the relationship has completely changed..though indian diplomacy should be given the major credit for that, we should not forget the immense contribution of indian-americans there..
Closer home we can see how afghanistan has been influenced by india.Without even one soldier setting foot on its soil,we have won several accolades just by our soft power.

But i agree..only softpower will not win..it needs a sustained backing from a very strong diplomacy (political and military)..
it should be a velvet glove on an iron hand

Should this be in the Indian section. I predict a troll tsunami soon.

:coffee: Do you think that India can use soft power or military power to control China?
^_^ USSR and USA once thought so. India can try that, the north is the boundary.

:coffee: Do you think that India can use soft power or military power to control China?
^_^ USSR and USA once thought so. India can try that, the north is the boundary.

India has no interest in controlling china...even if we do...we very well know we cant do that..just as we know neither can China(militrarily,politically or socially)

:coffee: Do you think that india can use soft power or military power to control China?
^_^ USSR and USA once thought so.

it depends on issues..the answer is yes but it not a guarantee that it should work every time..on every issue.soft power also leaves a good impression of your country in international forums.

who is thinking of controlling china????.............i'm asking if there are two fighters, one with a sword, then the other is better with a kitchen knife than empty handed...at least it will make the first guy think twice..........:wave:

To sway public opinion, to create a goodwill among a people, to showcase Indian culture and traditions - then definitely YES. Soft power is indeed a potent force to reckon with and to be used wisely.

There was a time when others thought of India as a land of elephants and snake charmers - thats precisely the image that people conjured up in their minds when spoken to about India. Perceptions change. Thanks to advances in communication, media and faster travel. People now associate India with computers, whizkids, software professionals, doctors and quality education, not to mention the omnipresent, ever beloved Bollywood! Now the general perceptions about Indians is "Oh, you are Indian, so you know computers" or "are you or someone in your family a doctor?" - not to mention some people going to the extent of asking "do you do the song and dance routine like in Indian movies to woo a girl?" Did I forget the colorful, vibrant and joyous nature of our various traditions and religious festivals and the overwhelming aromas of our finger licking cuisines from different parts of India?

This soft power has definitely changed perceptions about India and Indians the world over! And its trickling into the diplomatic relations between India and various countries.

"We are like this wonly" is going to stick and people respect us for that!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom