What's new

Is India a truly powerful country?

India just cannot control its internal problems. While it has these weaknesses it cannot effectively convey power outwards. Unless it commands respect from its near neighbours it cannot be a regional superpower or a powerful country.

Let's have a look.
Bhutan-Considers India as her mother.
Sri Lanka-Grateful to India for economic and military aid.
Bangladesh-Willing to work with India on various fields including counter terrorism ,even willing to allow India use her territory to access the NE.
Nepal-The communist party there hates India but all other parties and the general public at large love India.
China-Problems persist regarding the border but trade ties are at an all time high.People to people contact improving.
Myanmar -several pacts signed recently ,ties are improving.
Pakistan-Animosity still exists.

We have serious problems only with one country in our neighborhood .We do have minor issues with other countries which can be settled down amicably .

India just cannot control its internal problems. While it has these weaknesses it cannot effectively convey power outwards. Unless it commands respect from its near neighbours it cannot be a regional superpower or a powerful country.

I agree 100% that India has a lot of internal problems to resolve. But really, history does not necessarily agree with your POV. The Americans managed to become a superpower despite having so many race issues back in the 60s (and lots of other problems besides). China still does have problems, and yet the world watches China's rise expectantly. Britain was at the peak of it's power in the early 1900s but had a horrible class-ridden society and apalling industrial conditions and slums.

So while India needs to work on a myraid set of problems (which it is), those problems will not necessarily prevent India from being perceived as 'powerful' in the conventional sense.

Unfortunately to attain superpower or powerful nation status India will have to keep its near neighbours constantly destabilized. Its not your soft power that has brought India forward but your bureaucracy and intelligence services. That is a weak foundation on which to build a nation.

That is a gross misconception you are having sir.

Today we have brands,

"World's largest democracy"

"World's only country to achieve independence by non-violent means."

"World's only country to have a mix of different ethnicities/religions etc. and still thriving."

"Unity in diversity"

"One of the World's oldest civilizations"

"Ancient Medicine/Ayurveda"

"Yoga"

"IIT's"

"IIM's"

So you see we have developed brand over the past 63 years of independence and are still doing so. Perceptions matter a lot in today's world and the world views us very positively.

Today it is very common to hear westerners talk of India and China in the same breath. I agree we are not yet in China's league but hey, we are on the right path!

As far as internal security problems are concerned, I agree we do have problems but we have proven in the last two decades that we can progress and at the same time try to resolve those problems.

And it is not that we have been completely unsuccessful.

We solved khalistan problem.
North east insuegency is also pretty much in control now thanks to of course co-operation from Bangladesh and Nepal governments.
Kashmir issue was also by and large under control until the recent protests erupted a few months back and now we are working on that too.

Of course being a democracy, it takes us a lot of time to take action but it is not that we have been unsuccessful everywhere. We have in fact been quite successful and inshallah will be so in future also.

no im a pakistani

If you are a patriotic Pakistani, you must realize that the links and videos you posted are ridiculous and you are bringing shame to your country by posting such things here. I am saying this in as simple and plain language as possible. Remove those videos if you don't want casual visitors to this web site to laugh and ridicule Pakistan.

India is a regional superpower in terms of military clout and global in terms of culture.........nothing more to add.
Every country has bad patches, this a bad patch for India, but nothing serious. India is capable enough to pull this one off.

I want to ask the Indians, you know what the problem in India? As you answered, I will answer that India is or not a truly powerful country.

I want to ask the Indians, you know what the problem in India? As you answered, I will answer that India is or is not true power.

Regional power: Yes
Global Power: within next 10-15 years but we are already being paid attention to. The world now takes us much more seriously than it did say 10-15 years back

Tending to be superpower (like China will be by 2020) - Within next 25 years

True superpower - Not before next 40 years at least.

Regional power: Yes
Global Power: within next 10-15 years but we are already being paid attention to. The world now takes us much more seriously than it did say 10-15 years back

Tending to be superpower (like China will be by 2020) - Within next 25 years

True superpower - Not before next 40 years at least.

Please see my question.

Could you clarify and further expand that statement.

"I want to ask the Indian members here a question. Do they know what India's problems are? When you can answer that question, I will answer the question of whether India is a truly powerful country."

By this I think he means to become a great power India needs realize and fix its internal problems. I think that's what he meant.

"I want to ask the Indian members here a question. Do they know what India's problems are? When you can answer that question, I will answer the question of whether India is a truly powerful country."

By this I think he means to become a great power India needs realize and fix its internal problems. I think that's what he meant.

Well, that's true of just about any country. And anyway, India does need to fix it's internal problems, irrespective of whether we become a "great power" or not.

Please see my question.

Pardon me I did not understand your question.

India's problems:

1. Poverty (we are working, have been somewhat successful, a lot needs to be done)
2. Population (we rely on affirmative action from the masses)
3. Infrastructure (we are working)
5. Corruption (needs to be addressed)
6. Illiteracy (we are working, Right To Education Bill etc.)
7. Malnutrition among children (needs to be addressed)
8. Providing a truly egalitarian society to people of all regions and ethnicities, equal opportunities and merit based system (work has started sans a few black chapters like Gujarat riots, Babri demolition etc....overall situation is positive)
9. Caste (we are working but it will take time)
10. A science and technology based society (will be addressed with education)
11. A fully self-sufficient defense research industry (we are still in the nascent stage)
12. Issues with neighbors. (Some resolved, many remain but neighbours also need to understand. You cannot seriously expect only one party to make all the compromises.)

Pardon me I did not understand your question.

India's problems:

1. Poverty (we are working, have been somewhat successful, a lot needs to be done)
2. Population (we rely on affirmative action from the masses)
3. Infrastructure (we are working)
5. Corruption (needs to be addressed)
6. Illiteracy (we are working, Right To Education Bill etc.)
7. Malnutrition among children (needs to be addressed)
8. Providing a truly egalitarian society to people of all regions and ethnicities, equal opportunities and merit based system (work has started sans a few black chapters like Gujarat riots, Babri demolition etc....overall situation is positive)
9. Caste (we are working but it will take time)
10. A science and technology based society (will be addressed with education)
11. A fully self-sufficient defense research industry (we are still in the nascent stage)
12. Issues with neighbors. (Some resolved, many remain but neighbours also need to understand. You cannot seriously expect only one party to make all the compromises.)
A very general answer, can not judge anything, but at least you found the problem in India, if only the surface.

It will be years before India can dream of becoming a powerful country. Asia will be dominated by China.

Back
Top Bottom