What's new

IRIAF | News and Discussions

This will not surprise me because it is a very powerful and advantageous aircraft

Iran acquires Russian MIG-35s?

The analytical website Military Watch Magazine, which covers military information on the international scene, announced on Thursday (September 5th) the possible decision of five countries, including Iran, to purchase the new Russian-made MIG-35 fighter.

"Five countries - Iran, India, Belarus and North Korea - are believed to be significant and potential customers of Russia's new MIG-35 fighter," the report read.

The MIG-29 is the more modern aircraft of the Iranian Air Force. Two squadrons as well as two US F-14 Tomcat make up the country's elite air force. The acquisition of the Russian MiG-35 would optimize its potential after several decades.

The modern air-to-air missile fighter's equipment, especially the K-77, and powerful sensors, range and maneuverability will go a long way in bridging the current gap with other fighters deployed in the region, such as the F -35 Israeli and the Saudi F-15.

The MIG-35 could replace aging American hardware, such as the F-5 and F-4 jets, which have been in use for more than 40 years.

Majority of Iranian fighter jets are old and in need of replacement. I don’t think off the shelf solution will work for you Iran.
I think Iran should ask China for Joint ventures on 4.5 generation fighter with 50% TOT and state of the art manufacturing facility in Iran.

Majority of Iranian fighter jets are old and in need of replacement. I don’t think off the shelf solution will work for you Iran.
I think Iran should ask China for Joint ventures on 4.5 generation fighter with 50% TOT and state of the art manufacturing facility in Iran.
I think Iran should put a request (jokingly just to piss off the Zionists) to the Yanks for 100+ F-16s and 80+ F-15s ,believe me the big wigs at Boeing and Lockheed will be salivating at such a order they'll be lobbying Washington for approval
This will not surprise me because it is a very powerful and advantageous aircraft

Iran acquires Russian MIG-35s?

The analytical website Military Watch Magazine, which covers military information on the international scene, announced on Thursday (September 5th) the possible decision of five countries, including Iran, to purchase the new Russian-made MIG-35 fighter.

"Five countries - Iran, India, Belarus and North Korea - are believed to be significant and potential customers of Russia's new MIG-35 fighter," the report read.

The MIG-29 is the more modern aircraft of the Iranian Air Force. Two squadrons as well as two US F-14 Tomcat make up the country's elite air force. The acquisition of the Russian MiG-35 would optimize its potential after several decades.

The modern air-to-air missile fighter's equipment, especially the K-77, and powerful sensors, range and maneuverability will go a long way in bridging the current gap with other fighters deployed in the region, such as the F -35 Israeli and the Saudi F-15.

The MIG-35 could replace aging American hardware, such as the F-5 and F-4 jets, which have been in use for more than 40 years.
I thought the IRIAF wasn't too impressed with the Mig-29?

Now that Chinese are able to make their own engines, they don’t have to relay on Russia. Iran’s best bet is to go with Chinese for both short and long term solution.
Iran need to decom old junk and go for 4th and 4.5 generation fighters.
I think you're making sense - Chinese junk fighter jet in hand is worth more than Russia "superior"fighter jet that has Iranian paint but lives long term in a Russia factory.

I have called just about everyone I could get hold of, THAT MAY KNOW, so I can get confirmation about Iran's PRECISE deal for purchase from Russia, be it Su30/35 or any other platform.

As usual, I could NOT find out anything with certainty. Iranians (most, not all) would love to say, "I know, I know, ... they are buying ...". But when you ask them for INDISPUTABLE evidence, then the story changes.

If Iran is in the process of making a AF equipment purchase, having been a part of this in the West wherever I worked, (at least at some small part of delivery or maintenance setup, etc.), I hope Iran achieves the following with this purchase:

1. Utilizing leverage, where it is sensible for Iran to give up a lot, BUT for a worthy gain. If it is follow-on orders leverage, or leveraging Russia-vs-China, or paying in Gold instead of commodities (crude/aluminum ingots/petrochemicals etc.) whatever it may be, it is NOT quantity that necessarily suits Iran from making a purchase, but rather QUALITY Iran needs. Iran can on its own do quantity and this would not be a worthy leverage in a purchase of this type/magnitude. Remember the F-14 purchase? Or even, the Mig29 in 1990? Catastrophes Iran can learn from today.

2. Iran AF should be VERY WELL aware and focused on gaining knowledge AND (not OR) acquiring top missile weapons, eg. high-end BVR and top A2A and A2S weapons. If Russia cannot deliver the R37 and China cannot deliver PL-21, then it is better to leverage time, and may be other things, until they do. Every experienced AF tactician would agree that AF needs to have a good platform (aircraft), but it is CRITICAL to have high-end A2A missiles that are the latest and most capable, specially in BVR.

3. With every large purchase, TIME is of essence. I may have left this to #3 on my list, but it is most important that Iran can leverage this adequately. Even if (let's say) they have agreed to purchase Su35s with manufacturing starting in 2022, and deliveries in 2023, and integration into Iran's AF in 2024 ... nothing stops Iran to purchase at least couple of older Su35s currently in Russian AF that they can sell as well so Iran can get started with testing and adoption, and also, Iran can purchase 100+ AL21F engines (old ones) for its F4s/Su22s/Su24s and make sure it can bring those aircrafts to fully ready state after overhaul and with new engines.

I can list at least 20 others things but I am hoping that Iran's AF is not feeling desperate and can hold its own in this purchase agreement. I saw what they did in 2015 with the purchase of ATR 72-600s, and I was not much impressed (not AF deal of course).

Finally, Iran has to set its sights on the most essential technology of air force and that is AESA radar. If they want to purchase Su35s with hybrid PESAs and integrated SSA, that is fine. Beggars can't be choosers. But at least have a plan for getting AESA in the near future, through China or Russia. China is a bit further ahead. Without AESA Iran is way behind in technology. It would have a serious problem mounting a worthy defense, ESPECIALLY with low quantities as they are talking about for a huge country like Iran whose enemies have coalitions that include some 5,000+ high end aircrafts and satellite communications.

AESA or as I like to think of it, radio-optical phased active antenna array radar gives you significant performance advantage including hugely increase range, resolution to jamming resistance & LPI characteristics, substantially increased pencil beam sensitivity, much much higher performing processors giving vastly superior multi-tasking, multi-mode, higher categorization and engagement accuracy, for near simultaneous Air-Air and Air-Ground operations.

AESA has to be on the target list of Iran's AF in the near future.

Iran also has to consider investing more in R&D. It just has to.

Let us all hope.

Last edited:
It would have a serious problem mounting a worthy defense, ESPECIALLY with low quantities as they are talking about for a huge country like Iran whose enemies have coalitions that include some 5,000+ high end aircrafts and satellite communications.
McNamara fallacy here? (overreliance on the "numbers" to make an argument when there are other important factors, SUCH AS, the fact that despite having "5000" high end aircrafts, they still arent willing to sacrifice 1 pilot's life to fight IRan, so in essence, those 5000 aircraft are as good as the ones we have in our war video games. Even when it was time to patrol the Persian gulf against Iran, Trump still went to beg europeans to build a coalition,and they could only muster 3 puny ships to enter the gulf....but you will anyone can then tell us " but these countriese economies are in the $gazillions from their combined GDP"...then why so afraid of a broke country like North Korea or Iran? just sayin!! military equipment and bravery are 2 completely different issues.

Having xx number of aircrafts on papper,and number of aircrafts they can deploy without prompting China to invade Taiwan or Russia to enter Ukraine..those are completly 2 different things..US is withrawing from Middle east to counter China,exactlly because they knew they need so many troops to fight Iran,if deployed they would loose two strategic area. Even their latest report about US capabilities,admit US can fight war with one advesaries but not two major wars..For crappy Iraq in 2003,they spent more than 6 months to build military assets to invade Iraq,I remeber like it was yesterday..they started with build up around September and entered Iraq like in April next year...Also..I suppose they need something left at home..just in case..they are deployed around the world..so their capabilities are spread ...and also their military is completly different in nature,offensive capabilities are something it is much expensive to build than defansive.

Last edited:
McNamara fallacy here? (overreliance on the "numbers" to make an argument when there are other important factors, SUCH AS, the fact that despite having "5000" high end aircrafts, they still arent willing to sacrifice 1 pilot's life to fight IRan, so in essence, those 5000 aircraft are as good as the ones we have in our war video games. Even when it was time to patrol the Persian gulf against Iran, Trump still went to beg europeans to build a coalition,and they could only muster 3 puny ships to enter the gulf....but you will anyone can then tell us " but these countriese economies are in the $gazillions from their combined GDP"...then why so afraid of a broke country like North Korea or Iran? just sayin!! military equipment and bravery are 2 completely different issues.

My brother, you are correct to a certain degree.

However, I have sat on a dinner table since I was about 7 years old (my early consciousness of war talk at dinner table with my family) next to individuals in the AF or Army Aviation or training for either. Yes, we can be brave, and we are brave, and I hope at the same time, we are not careless.

Two of my favorite people on this forum, which I love reading their posts and knowing their perspectives, are now BANNED. For what? For being brave and making comments against others, which may or may not have deserved it. Brave alone doesn't make a country strong. A strong country needs to make the right decisions, through crystal clarity of thinking. Can you imagine if Iran has worked with Mongols and not had cut off the heads of their ambassador and companion what Iran could have been - and still to this day?

Our adversaries have 5000+ high end fighter/bombers and STILL they are very careful how they display their power projection, and excessively plan their adventurism. Also, preparing coalitions and allies prior to a war is a very smart idea, considering what resources you MAY NEED at a later stages of the war, as it progresses.

One of my favorite books is Martin Dempsey's "Radical Inclusion". But not just this one, but many others, talk about U.S. power being effective ONLY due to its ability to use economical coercion/intimidation/seduction to BUILD AND USE ALLIES for U.S.'s needs/demands.

Remember how France & Germany asked U.S. to wait 3 month for the inspectors in Iraq to do their work in 2002, so U.S. called them OLD EUROPE, then went to Czech Republic and Poland, (and others) offered them economic packages and got them to support U.S. invasion of Iraq on March 15th, 2003. It even got the congress together in 4 hours to pass a bill to change FRENCH FRIES to FREEDOM FRIES. Why would U.S. consider having a coalition/allies as being so important when they can alone pummel Iraq?

Iran should be smart with purchasing AF equipment, not just for war preparations. Military is an insurance service, as was once said by Eric Shinseki, 4-star general that stood against a President and the entire military command backed him up.

All these weapons are ONLY a small part of a defense doctrine. Every military chief preparing for war, FIRST asks for 2 things: 1) food supplies, and 2) ammunition supplies. Then they go down the list of all the strategies, logistics, strike missions, protection of its troops, access ways, etc. etc.

Just because Iran is brave, WE SHOULD NOT IGNORE ALL THE ESSENTIAL THINGS THAT PROTECT IRAN, NOR SHOULD WE BE CAVALIER WITH THE LIVES OF IRANIANS, ESPECIALLY THE BRAVE ONES THAT YOU MENTION. WE SHOULD ONLY EXPEND THEIR LIVES IF WE KNOW WITH A CERTAIN DEGREE OF CERTAINTY THAT THE END RESULTS WAS WORTHY OF THEIR VALOR AND SACRIFICE.

We should not be careless with the lives of our most precious resource: our brave defenders of our land.

With respect.
Having xx number of aircrafts on papper,and number of aircrafts they can deploy without prompting China to invade Taiwan or Russia to enter Ukraine..those are completly 2 different things..US is withrawing from Middle east to counter China,exactlly because they knew they need so many troops to fight Iran,if deployed they would loose two strategic area. Even their latest report about US capabilities,admit US can fight war with one advesaries but not two major wars..For crappy Iraq in 2003,they spent more than 6 months to build military assets to invade Iraq,I remeber like it was yesterday..they started with build up around September and entered Iraq like in April next year...Also..I suppose they need something left at home..just in case..they are deployed around the world..so their capabilities are spread ...and also their military is completly different in nature,offensive capabilities are something it is much expensive to build than defansive.

Good point. I have suggested that before. U.S. is weary of Russia's move in Ukraine and China's move in Taiwan, in case of a U.S. war with Iran.

However, my point was that conflicts should be taken into consideration (no matter how unlikely) when making a strategic AF acquisition.

If Israel and UAE and Turkey started a war with Iran, how many aircrafts will they have at their disposal when all of NATO will be forced to come to help them? When Iran threatens the economic lifeline of the world, why will the rest of the world support?

Iran military command think about these issues very carefully, that is why it took them a few days to respond to Soleimani's assassination, and yet with very limited response.

EvilWesteners

Yes,sure..Iran must consider war,no matter how unlikely it is..at the end many wars were fought even no side actually wanted it...sometime it happens due miscalculations..sometimes there is 3th side..till 2015 I was always afraid Israel could start a war to force US to fight and prevent deal,

Such dreams......

China did not even agree on joint venture manufacturing of VT-4 tanks with Pakistan, when they were already collaborating on Al-Khalid tank.

Russia never ever given their data link technology to India even when they were on best of terms & India was procuring $9 billion worth of arms every year from Russia.

Russia declined to share the PAK-FA tech with India even though it was a collaboration project between India & Russia.

Pakistan is trying to negotiate favorable terms for J-10 aircrafts for past 10 years now, not even including any TOT or local manufacturing and Chinese are not budging even on purchase price per unit.

and people think that China or Russia would just give away their 4.5 gen tech to Iran just like that..... I am just speechless.

Last edited:
Such dreams......
China did not even agree on joint venture manufacturing of VT-4 tanks with Pakistan, when they were already collaborating on Al-Khalid tank.

Answer: First of all, did Pakistan asked for ToT for VT-4 Tank? You know that TOT is more expensive than buying something of the shelf. Why would Pakistan want TOT when we are already working on Al-Khalid 2 Tank and possibly another variant in the future?

Russia never ever given their data link technology to India even when they were on best of terms & India was procuring $9 billion worth of arms every year from Russia.

Russia declined to share the PAK-FA tech with India
though it was a collaboration project between India & Russia.

Answer: That’s between Russia and India. India blackout of the project.

Pakistan is trying to negotiate favorable terms for J-10 aircrafts for past 10 years now, not even including any TOT or local manufacturing and Chinese are not budging even on purchase price per unit.

Answer: China offered J-10 to Pakistan but due to it’s capabilities and price tag (65 million), Pakistan decided not to acquire it. Pakistan hasn’t been negotiating for Ten years. Pakistan and USA relationship started deteriorating after 2016. Pakistan started negotiations for J-10 after US confirmed that no more new F-16s.

and people think that China or Russia would just give away their 4.5 gen tech to Iran just like that..... I am just speechless.

Answer: Russia and China both will be more than happy and willing to share technology for the right price. It all depend on Iran and what it’s future plans are. We use the term TOT very loosely, it is never 100% TOT, it more or less 50% to 60%

You can be speechless all you want but facts remain the same.

Not really, my friend, theres a difference between Russian Federation from the years before 2013 and the Russian Federation now. The illusions about some kind of a good relations with the USA are long gone, noone in the Kremlin believes in those stuff anymore. I doubt that someone in Moscow is willing to sacrifice a potential close alliance with Iran in the name of Israel or USA.

Theres no such a thing as a government in the RF, its all about Putin, he is everything and he controls anything, theres no opposition, the so called one in the Federal Assembly is a complete joke and is doing what Putin wants it to do. The other opposition is barley surviving, almost all of its leaders were thrown away from the country in the last months, the one who refused to move out are in jail. So Im not really sure what are you talking about when you talk about Zionist influence.

There are no US or NATO troops in Ukraine at the moment, on the other hand its a base for an anti-Russian hysteria, no doubt about that. Its true that Putin abandoned the people in Odessa, Kharkov and even Donetsk and Lugansk and he did it because he was scared about the consequences for his regime. He took the risk and took Crimea, but when Donetsk, Luhansk and Kharkov were about to do the same referendum, he told them to stop, the people in Kharkov gave up, the ones in Donetsk didnt and you see where they are today. Putin wants to rule the country with the economy being as stable as possible, so the people are not too upset about him and his politics and keep believing that he is the only one from the 150 millions that is fit to rule. If he actually annexed the Southeast part of Ukraine, which is around 250 000 km2 into RF no one in the world would accept that. Russian economy couldnt survive it, his regime couldnt survive it either.

I dont think that Turkey has a real influence in Caucasus. Erdogan and Aliev are friends and thats it, no one knows what will happen when one of them is gone. Few years ago Aliev said that if NATO help them on Karabakh they will join NATO, if CSTO helps them, they will join it. I dont really believe in the azeri-turks brotherhood, when their two presidents are gone they will both turn upside down.

As for Iran, I cant see a rival between Moscow and Teheran in the region, our countries have a good relation, we are both friends with Armenia. The experience and the bonds that were build in the Syrian conflict are really important and will help a lot in the future. I do agree that we can only benefit if Iran is strong, rich and stable. Neither of us cant go one on one against NATO, GCC or Israel in the region, so I think RF and Iran need each other to materialize our politics in the region...
Russia and Israel are connected by ‘very deep bond’ & Putin is ‘close, true friend’ of the Jewish people, says Israeli PM Bennett

Back
Top Bottom