What's new

IRIAF | News and Discussions

in the article the author rightly writes:

when a new infrared-guided missile loosely resembling the British AIM-132 and Chinese PL-10 was displayed.
but anyway thanks for quoting that article, in which the author hypothesizes that the North Korean missile could not only be used by Mig-29, but also by Mig-21 and Mig-23.
But if it is from this article that you base your theory, I think you should read it more carefully, because nowhere does it indicate that the missile is the PL-10 , indeed its words suggest a North Korean development.

At this point, it is all speculation since we do not know what this thing actually is. The closest everyone got (me included) in their guessing game was a Chinese PL-10 based upon on the seeker, wings, fins, and overall dimensions. ASRAAM (AIM-132) looks bit different.

It could very well be a:

- PL-10 from China
- TOT
- Indigenous DPRK WVR that somehow ended up strongly resembling Chinese PL-10
- A Model and nothing else since the image is 2 years old and nothing else came out since then.

Who knows?

If the aerodynamics are actually viable then this is what the loyal wingmen will look like. My crude guess is that the angled wing tips will be gone.

(PS credit = not mine)

1687212149666.png

Last edited:
At this point, it is all speculation since we do not know what this thing actually is. The closest everyone got (me included) in their guessing game was a Chinese PL-10 based upon on the seeker, wings, fins, and overall dimensions. ASRAAM (AIM-132) looks bit different.

It could very well be a:

- PL-10 from China
- TOT
- Indigenous DPRK WVR that somehow ended up strongly resembling Chinese PL-10
- A Model and nothing else since the image is 2 years old and nothing else came out since then.

Who knows?
There is a big difference if you make assumptions / speculation, or state as you wrote that the missile displayed in North Korea is a PL-10

"An interesting image of Chinese PL-10 WVR in DRPK. PL-10 ASR"
https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/iriaf-news-and-discussions.358559/post-14414972

Precisely for this reason it is necessary to always pay attention to how the news is presented, otherwise there is the risk of giving incorrect information, and consequently, there is the risk of losing credibility.

There is a big difference if you make assumptions / speculation, or state as you wrote that the missile displayed in North Korea is a PL-10

When I posted the image I did think it was PL-10. Whoever saw this before said the same thing based on a strong resemblance. What seems to be the problem?

Precisely for this reason it is necessary to always pay attention to how the news is presented, otherwise there is the risk of giving incorrect information, and consequently, there is the risk of losing credibility.

There is zero news on the subject actually. Even the article I posted is also full of guesses and conjectures. As I said before, without any actual info or clue, it could be a full-blown Chinese transfer or could be DPRK indigenous missile or could be a hollow pipe. Whatever it is, it sure does look like a PL-10. ASRAAM not so much.

those hardened underground bases are for strike aircraft not fighters

I’m glad Iran followed my thinking with the hardened underground bases.

But putting F-4’s in there is a waste of a valuable base.

Instead of your most valuable interceptors (F-14, Migs, and hopefully SU-35 and some upgrades Kowsars) you are going to put a F-4 so it can fire some cruise missiles?

There won’t be a land war so what’s the point of strike aircraft?

Last edited:
And this signifies what? Iran and Russia are in a strategic alliance.

Opinion not fact

Su-35S's AL-41F will be overhauled inside Iran so how "odd" it will be if the same AL-31/41 are being manufactured inside Iran?

Very odd if you don’t know the difference between license production vs 100% TOT

.Stop backtracking. I see, "Russian or Iranian" AL-31 has now become "irrelevant"

Always was irrelevant Russia supplying AL-31 physically or 100% TOT so it can be used in Kowsar or any non SU-35S or Russian fighter(or Migs get upgraded like you say) is still highly unlikely. That has been my point all along.
Call Manteghi or TEM offices directly and tell them that you "think" their presentation was false and that apparently, you know more about Russian-Iranian strategic dealings than them all.

Do you have their number? I’ll call

- J-85 licensed production in Canada, Italy
- J79 licensed production in Belgium, Canada, Germany, Israel, Italy, and Japan
- F404 licensed production in the Republic of Korea, Sweden
- F110 licensed production in Japan, Turkey
- RD-33MK licensed production in India
- RD-93 licensed production in China
- Spey licensed production in China

Do you agree that license production and 100% TOT are not the same thing? One is limited to assembly and some parts production the other is ability and know how to make the product from scratch without the need from the foreign entity

- AL-31F licensed production in India

not 100% TOT. It seems you are inferring that licensed production is the same as 100% TOT

The leading jet engine vendors—General Electric (GE), Honeywell, and Pratt & Whitney of the US; the British Rolls-Royce; the French Safran; and Russia’s Klimov and Saturn—have not been as forthcoming about sharing the technical know-how which could boost India’s self-reliance in the defence sector. For instance, Safran wanted more than €1 billion to part with the technology.

It has been reported that 100% ToT will allow India to manufacture the more powerful GE F414 engine variant. It would power the LCA Mark II, Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA), and other future Indian fighter jets.

This is highly significant because transfer of technology in this sphere is easier said than done. So far, India has been devoid of genuine transfer of technology.

It is not clear whether the US engine deal will be similar to previous deals like those with Russia where jet engines were built with ToT for decades but India did not have the capability to design its own jet engine from scratch that involves metallurgy and manufacturing engine components. For instance, experts say, we have been carrying on just licensed production of the Russian-made Mig 27 and Mig 21 Jets.

You were saying?

Neither the Turks or India can build those respective engines from scratch.

Licensed production =/= 100% TOT production

You are implying Iran is getting 100% TOT. Licensed production is not that.

Ask any Turk if they can build F110 from scratch without US supplying critical components and the answer is no! Most of the time licensed production is “kit assembly” with some common spare part production inside the country. Iran got this “deal” with the Russians in the 90’s for T-72 tanks I believe.

Licensed production is rarely 100% TOT.

So which one are you claiming that Iran will have license production or will be given 100% TOT?

I gave plenty of examples Turbojets/Turbofans TOTs above including RD-33, AL-31, you can do same about OTH's.

You gave licensed production examples and in nearly all cases the company did not have critical 100% transfer that would allow the country to build engines from scratch and use it for whatever they wish.

Iran has/had license production of Coca-Cola and thru an Irish subsidiary Coca-Cola sell Iran the “concentrate” to assembly the sodas does that mean Iran has its hands the Coca-Cola formula? Of course not.

Please explain why would China need AL-31 when they have their own equivalent WS-10A/G and WS-15? There are problems in few designs for now but Chinese are a growing tech superpower, how long will it take them to fix and even produce something even better than Russian product? they no longer are dependent upon Russia for things that they were reliant upon a decade ago.

Until a few years ago J-20 was flying (of which serial production was made years ago) were flying with Russian engines.

The transition to Chinese engines is still ongoing.

The keys to producing the raw materials, as well as creating the high-tolerance final parts, are closely guarded national secrets. Spy photos are easy to take at airshows, and blueprints can be readily stolen – often as simply as searching for CAD files and sending them home. Data on metallurgy and materials and production processes can be harder to lay one’s hands on.

"India's Hindustan Aeronautics Limited has obtained licensed production for RD-33MK variant in 2006"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klimov_RD-33

"AL-31FP is built in India by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) at the Koraput facility under a deep technology transfer agreement"

https://www.key.aero/article/after-burn

View attachment 935137

Far from “serving me”, your confusing license production with 100% TOT.

India cannot build AL-31 without key Russian components and assistance even after all these years.

Neither can the Turks build their engines for their future fighter without the American supplying the critical know how and components.

I asked for an example of 100% TOT.

There are zero signs of Iranian attempts to copy or get a license for RD-33 production as there are zero signs of Iran being even remotely interested in expanding or upgrading the MIG fleet for ~30 years.

What does reverse engineering RD-33 have to deal with upgrading MIG? You can use the engine in any fighter jet that can fit it and makes sense from an aerodynamic standpoint.

Between using Owj vs RD-33 in Kowsar or any future fighter (F-313 or others) which one is better? The answer is clear.

Russia has given Turbojet/Turbofans TOT to countries (China, India) before but not a single example exists for R-33, R-37 BVR transfer.

Licensed production =/= 100% TOT

For example, for any Russian licensed produced engines supplied to Pakistan’s Chinese fighters, Russian have to give approval.

Russia has been the single biggest supplier of weapons to Iran since the war.

Yes because no one else would sell to us. Even the Chinese deals for C-802 and others were fraught with problems.

Chinese combat aviation just picked up 2 decades ago. By the turn of the century, they were still flying J-7 with PL-7 sidewinders.

Chinese fighter jet development started in 1970’s with J-12. J-10 in 1980’s.

Chinese has been doing this ALOT longer than Iran has.

Today they have all of that, Their end products are getting better than Russian products so they are not even reliant.

They still use Russian engines in many of their fighter jets. The transition to WS engine have only begun recently and it’s next to impossible to verify how those engines do over long hours. China is not exactly publishing those information.
Jahesh-700 example is totally illogical since it's currently not powering some large fleet of aircraft in Iran.

It is not illogical when we have yet to serial production of OWJ engines or J-700.

Had it been ordered by lets say IRGC-AF for their UCAV fleet, we would have seen its assembly line like we have seen OWJ being assembled for Kowsar. Demand leads to mass production. If there is no demand then why would we see assembly lines?

You had claimed at one that J-700 would power Kowsar. (I provided proof of your quote) yet now you say demand is not there for it since it’s only useful for UCAV.

TOT's include vendor's supervision of the establishment of facilities in the client's premises that ensure mass production. If Iran gets AL-31 TOT as Manteghi was showing then the mass production capability will come from NPO Saturn-supplied SOPs.

That’s called licensed production of which you have given several examples above. If the Vendor is over-seeing and supplying the critical components and metallurgy than that is not 100% TOT.

So again I ask are you saying Russia will provide licensed production to Iran or will give 100% TOT for Iran to produce everything from scratch so that if tommorrow Russia is gone, Iran can build engines without any foreign parts.

Stop dodging, You in previous post claimed that I said, "F-5 with drop tanks and fully loaded armament is going to be at 1m2 RCS". I am waiting for evidence of this statement from me.

You ask me to stop dodging, but yet you dodge my questions all the time. What a peculiar tactic.
Has an F/A-18 ever been shot at BVR ranges? It has shot down many aircraft in Gulf War I and II, the only time it was shot down was through R-40 within at borderline WVR ranges. F/A-18 never ever loses in exercises.

Are you really comparing Iraqi Air Force in 1990’s and 2003 with the American Air Force?

Is that really fair?

Again America has yet to face a near peer adversary in the air.
What is common among these? The low RCS and N-156 or similar origin.

The common theme among these is Intel, ECW, Support system of a superpower vs Russian aircraft in various states of condition and the opposing country.

It’s an apple to oranges comparison to say the RCS was the primary reason for this.
Same can be said about every plane, including F-22, F-35, J-20. All aspect RCS is averaged but has peaks and valleys in plots of RCS vs distances vs angles.

5th Gen fighters have internal weapon bays. So they can go stealth layout and not full bombing layout and maintain their frontal RCS. The same cannot be said of Kowsar.

Furthermore, F-22 and F-35 (cannot speak about J-20 as information is limited) are built with minimum radiation leakage hence why IRST are key tech on SU-35S, future Turkish fighter, and even Iranian ground based defenses as it allows for detection when ECW is active or in case of RQ-170 minimum radiation and low RCS are combined. Of course this comes at reduced ranges, but better late than never.

I never said anything about ground-based interceptions. Read again, I said airborne interception.

Two points here

1) US and Israeli airforce since 1990 have yet to engage a competitive Airforce in the air. I think we can agree on that. So there is no modern examples (2000 onward) examples of these fighter jets truly fighting a near peer adversary in the air. So any data is of course going to be favorable for the opponent.

2) Your comment also is my point for my previous claims of lethality of SU-35S within the Iranian IADS network. Any F-18/F-16 etc will have to approach Iranian airspace or be within it to engage SU-35S and whatever ground based targets it is assigned. So again RCS of SU-35 (whatever it maybe) is a bit irrelevant if the enemy does not destroy or severely degrade Iranian IADS.

S-200 has a powerful SARH illuminator called 5N62B. The same can not be said about an ARH/SARH airborne interception where T/R elements are usually <1000.

S-200 was never designed for F-16 ECW equipped engagement. It was designed for Cold War era bombers/AWACS as an Area denial weapon.

The fact an Israeli F-16 was managed to be hit employing all of the well known tactics that IAF is known by a severely degraded Syrian Air defense force after years of air strikes and civil war is remarkable.

Just see how F-16 does in Ukraine if it is ever supplied. We will find out if SU-35’s SU-30’s can take them down or not. We will have a modern example.

Last edited:

Come on now, we all know there is one set of [ever changing] rules for Dr Meson and there is a strict set of rules for everyone else. I’m sure if you said such a thing he would be very strict on the interpretation of your words.

He is a complicated fella. Part of the charm of Dr Meson.

I’m glad Iran followed my thinking with the hardened underground bases.

But putting F-4’s in there is a waste of a valuable base.

Instead of your most valuable interceptors (F-14, Migs, and hopefully SU-35 and some upgrades Kowsars) you are going to put a F-4 so it can fire some cruise missiles?

There won’t be a land war so what’s the point of strike aircraft?
you still don't get it fighter jets must be able to fly and engage enemy at notice those bunkers don't allow that
your strike air craft kept in bunkers to be protected for retaliation and as of now we only saw strike aircraft in that base.
by the way i wonder what sort of aircraft we targeted in attack on h3 bombers or fighters.
the bombers and multi-role fighters have more value when it come to retaliation .

and its funny that you guys still think Iran will receive any su-35

Do you agree that license production and 100% TOT are not the same thing? One is limited to assembly and some parts production the other is ability and know how to make the product from scratch without the need from the foreign entity
sweden engines for grippen was more than just a license production. they were allowed to build their own engine based on American engine

Last edited:
you still don't get it fighter jets must be able to fly and engage enemy at notice those bunkers

Where is this hypothetical enemy? None of those fighter jets (F-4/F-5) can survive in enemy airspace. At best they can fire stand off weapons from Iran’s borders.
by the way i wonder what sort of aircraft we targeted in attack on h3 bombers or fighters.

Are you comparing 1980’s Iraq that was right next door with Iran with a war air war with America or Israel in 2020’s?

What a dumb comparison. Let me know how an F-4 fares trying to bomb a carrier strike group because we know it is not flying to Bahrain to bomb Centcom since chances of survival will be close to 0%

the bombers and multi-role fighters have more value when it come to retaliation .

What are they going to strike? None of those fighters can reliably be counted on to survive outside of Iranian air space.

Ask Ukraine how its fighter jets did anywhere close to the front line and ask Russia the same. Except in case of Iran, war will be in the air and far away from its borders. There will not be a land war. So how are these bombers gonna benefit Iran? What is the point of Iran’s missile & drone force then?

and its funny that you guys still think Iran will receive any su-35

I’m waiting if it doesn’t happen then it doesn’t happen. Not the first time we had an arms deal fall thru with Russia. Technically this was never even mentioned by Russia. Only Iranian side confirmed it. (which is never a good sign)

sweden engines for grippen was more than just a license production. they were allowed to build their own engine based on American engine

“Build their own engine” Yes this is def a Swedish plane :coffee:

1687276569881.jpeg

Regarding engines Sweden still relies on US (and others) for critical components in its engine and US has export controls in place that prevent Grippen’s from being sold to any country without US approval much less the engines. License production comes in many forms, but it is rarely ever associated with 100% TOT, even among NATO and Eurozone friendly Allies with a 80 year relationship since WW2.

No eastern country hasn’t gotten 100% TOT of advanced engine tech especially from a country like Russia, certainly not India or Turkey. To say that Turkey can build US engine from scratch indigenously is laughable. Not even Turks themselves on this board make such a claim and they are usually very delusional.

Last edited:
Are these free fall (unguided) bombs?
Yes,its a "bombcat" :azn:
This is likely a rather old pic,heres a similar one from around 9 years ago
=%3fUTF-8%3fB%3faXNuYS04LTIxOC5qcGc=%3f=.jpeg

Iran has on occasion used the f14s as bombers dating all the way back to the iran-iraq war.
yasser-top-2.jpg

However it does give one an idea of the potential if those dumb bombs were swapped out for something smarter like the yasin or irans sdb
EmuZ_Y1W8AASfL3.jpg

Yes,its a "bombcat" :azn:
This is likely a rather old pic,heres a similar one from around 9 years ago
=%3fUTF-8%3fB%3faXNuYS04LTIxOC5qcGc=%3f=.jpeg

Iran has on occasion used the f14s as bombers dating all the way back to the iran-iraq war.
yasser-top-2.jpg

However it does give one an idea of the potential if those dumb bombs were swapped out for something smarter like the yasin or irans sdb
EmuZ_Y1W8AASfL3.jpg

Not all situations call for PGMs. If you are bombing PKK in a large mountain range, free bombs are cheaper and more effective. The equivalent of dropping MLRS salvo.

Many militaries still use free bombs. Russians dropped many on Mariupol steel plant that was massive ironworks facility. US dropped them in Afghanistan.

Yes if you are trying to hit a small target or avoiding collateral damage than free bombs are not the answer.

Not all situations call for PGMs. If you are bombing PKK in a large mountain range, free bombs are cheaper and more effective. The equivalent of dropping MLRS salvo.

Many militaries still use free bombs. Russians dropped many on Mariupol steel plant that was massive ironworks facility. US dropped them in Afghanistan.

Yes if you are trying to hit a small target or avoiding collateral damage than free bombs are not the answer.
I agree,however in that sort of situation it would make far more sense to use something like an f4 or better yet a dedicated ground attack aircraft like an su25 as a bomb truck,rather than an expensive dedicated air superiority fighter like the f14.
The f14 can certainly be used in the role of a bomber,and indeed has been,but considering its value to iran as a fighter it would only make sense to do this with precision guided stand off weaponry,so as to reduce the risk to the aircraft to the bare minimum.

Back
Top Bottom