What's new

IRIAF | News and Discussions

On your comparison, you say that it would take 3-4 bunker busters to trap all assets inside compared to the above image which would take tens of bunker busters according to you

But are you referring on this single entrance shown on the second image or the whole mountain base?

3-4 bunker busters for this entrances or 3-4 for the whole underground air-base? The first image is a whole airbase and the second is just one entrance
one bunker buster for each entrance

I am and you need to inform yourself about F-16XL.

:omghaha:

Probably it is you who has no clue ... transforming a F-5-based design powered by two small out-dated engines into something comparable to the F-16XL is way beyond Iran's capabilities. They don't have a decent engine for it, the changes to a F-16XL would be much too great to justify the most likely limited gains ...

Iran should get Su-35 and eventually anything else from Russia maybe by cooperation, but a heavy strike fighter like the F-16XL was planned to be is simply impossible.

Fighter jet ain't a missile TEL to need an entrance or an exit .. it needs run & taxi way .. so you can not surprise your advisory & use excavators to reopen new entrances.
All theses measures are defensive as if they have accepted their weak points while we should be thinking of first strlke ..

one bunker buster for each entrance
So there are four entrances according to you? That's what i read "3-4 bunker busters to trap all assets", so one bunker buster for each entrances, that means the whole airbase has 3-4 entrances?

It is unfortunate that these things consume resources.
A huge underground base can be neutralized at once, along with the many assets inside it, if the entrances and exits are destroyed.
This photo shows a NATO style air base bunkers.
This arrangement of many small bunkers makes it difficult for the enemy to destroy all of them with bunker busters, while the allies can quickly launch from the small bunkers, which is extremely rational.
On top of that, the enemy is forced to attack in vain against numerous bunkers that may or may not be empty,

800px-Bitburg_Air_Base_bunkers_1988.JPEG

Their some negatives of these bases as you mentioned, but perhaps the logic would be when the USAF launched 600+ JASSM-ER's at the same time in their first wave, these types of bases won't hold up and protect assets. They can neutralize a whole base like this in one sortie.

Overall, was hoping Kowsar 2.0 or a new system, still pleased they are employing this concept, especially if they decide to heavily revive the IRIAF which appears to be the case with new fighters and investments like these.

But why reveal this in such a public manner?! they should have kept it secret, at least not publicly demonstrate it like this.

One more thing, how do they deal with all the engine exhaust fumes and blast? I can't see any vents to exhaust the gas externally, presumably because they would be potential targets for bombs and missiles and weak points in the structure.
At the current time, US spy sats are so clear in resolution, they can find bases like these quite easily. Although, they may not precisely know what is inside, they cannot be hidden from the eye so easily.

Since it doesn't seem super wide to house large Russian fighters, I reckon it's just a base for F-4's/F-5's and other assets will be stored else where. Out of all bases, this is ironically housing the weakest assets.

Last edited:
Fighter jet ain't a missile TEL to need an entrance or an exit .. it needs run & taxi way .. so you can not surprise your advisory & use excavators to reopen new entrances.
All theses measures are defensive as if they have accepted their weak points while we should be thinking of first strlke ..
Consider it to be duel use.

If you want to deal with the USA, you will need these structures to prevent your whole AF from total annihilation in a surprise blow. This protection mode completely kills the idea of a US first strike surprise attack. While the bases can be disabled, the AF is still intact. Don't underestimate what they can bring to the table, they have dozens of intercontinental missile carriers, and they've even modified their C-130's to carry missiles.

If Iran is dealing with a local adversary, then their is no issue here, if this local adversary cannot disable the base, assets can be used freely. What would be the downside here? Was Iran planning on waging air warfare directly against USAF that they need these bases to be fully operational? To me it appears that the leadership are fine with this base being disabled if it meant securing survivability of the airforce.

They maybe set lures on the base to confuse the initial bombing plan
Like fake entrances with a dead end inside (like lure silos)

Going too far but if Iran launches jets from these lure entrances, then going back to the base and immediately close that entrance to lure satellites

What has Iran done or going to do to deal with satellites? US and NATO relies a lot on satellites for any airstrikes

They maybe set lures on the base to confuse the initial bombing plan
Like fake entrances with a dead end inside (like lure silos)

Going too far but if Iran launches jets from these lure entrances, then going back to the base and immediately close that entrance to lure satellites
I don't think so, in war with US, air assets will likely be rarely used, most of the burden will be on AD and Missile corps.

Against regional opponents with less capability, these bases would be useful,
What has Iran done or going to do to deal with satellites? US and NATO relies a lot on satellites for any airstrikes
Currently, on extending the range of Sayyad family of missiles, to reach anti-satellite capability in the future (Sayyad-4B) being the latest at the moment.

:omghaha:

Probably it is you who has no clue ... transforming a F-5-based design powered by two small out-dated engines into something comparable to the F-16XL is way beyond Iran's capabilities. They don't have a decent engine for it, the changes to a F-16XL would be much too great to justify the most likely limited gains ...

Iran should get Su-35 and eventually anything else from Russia maybe by cooperation, but a heavy strike fighter like the F-16XL was planned to be is simply impossible.
You effectively demonstrate you did not understand anything I wrote.
Because you an absolute idiot are incapable of understanding anything.

I did not say that Iran should turn F-5 into F-16XL.

Will you assert otherwise thus lie?

I was the only one here a few months ago to predict that Iran would soon announce an underground bunker for fighter planes. I have always said here that Iran in its announcement process is 4 to 8 years ahead of various achievements that have not yet been presented. According to my point of view, Iran will very soon cause you very big surprises because they will unlock certain secrets

And stop speculating on the engines, you haven't seen anything yet and you're seriously wrong. you lack observation and intuition. And obsolete planes are in your head and not in reality

Consider it to be duel use.

If you want to deal with the USA, you will need these structures to prevent your whole AF from total annihilation in a surprise blow. This protection mode completely kills the idea of a US first strike surprise attack. While the bases can be disabled, the AF is still intact. Don't underestimate what they can bring to the table, they have dozens of intercontinental missile carriers, and they've even modified their C-130's to carry missiles.

If Iran is dealing with a local adversary, then their is no issue here, if this local adversary cannot disable the base, assets can be used freely. What would be the downside here? Was Iran planning on waging air warfare directly against USAF that they need these bases to be fully operational? To me it appears that the leadership are fine with this base being disabled if it meant securing survivability of the airforce.
It was one of my dreams as a kid to have an underground airbase with retractable runways & entrances ..did you see Dej fazaei as cartoon? those were the days.
Fighter jet and missile differ in nature, missile would be fired and TEL would get back in tunnel and hide but fighter jet needs runway so can not be hid , not to mentioned I dunno what would be the scenario for cities like Tehran that the base is not close to mountains? HAS? as you said the base (if there is any other) only good in protecting the AF from annihilation in first wave, in case of war runways and entrances would be targeted with precision weapons so either you intend to scramble them to do what they are meant to do or lose your AF as an operational force thus you might lose air superiority and A2/AD too .... I understand it'd protect the AF from annihilation but to be used for when? after death of Sohrab? and I think the only one that would attack us is the US not locals.
That's why I said it's just a defensive measure not a plan for offense or at least I can not fathom it due to lack of data, these bases would be great if be built in huge numbers and have great numbers of fighter jets ready for scramble so targeting them would be difficult.
By the way all these revolve around first how our AF is gonna be equipped in quantity and quality and second what scenario is in the head of those whom designed such a base.

And stop speculating on the engines, you haven't seen anything yet and you're seriously wrong. you lack observation and intuition. And obsolete planes are in your head and not in reality
Nonsense.

F-16 as any other fighter jet were upgraded throughout by means of upgrade packages along revisions applied on new production batches.
Iran could invest effort into gradually redesigning some components that could be brand new lighter design while compatible mounting with older sections.
For reasons such as to reduce weight of components and less frequent need to maintain them along prolonging life span of those.

Primary limitation for Iran are jet engines, that does not mean that Iran can not design new aircraft with considerably or far superior aerodynamics and kinematics.

Nonsense.

F-16 as any other fighter jet were upgraded throughout by means of upgrade packages along revisions applied on new production batches.
Iran could invest effort into gradually redesigning some components that could be brand new lighter design while compatible mounting with older sections.
For reasons such as to reduce weight of components and less frequent need to maintain them along prolonging life span of those.

Primary limitation for Iran are jet engines, that does not mean that Iran can not design new aircraft with considerably or far superior aerodynamics and kinematics.
The nonsense here is that you are speculating on things you don't understand and you have no sense of observation and no intuition. I maintain more than ever but prediction here that I made several times and we will see the results very soon. Learn to think carefully instead of polluting this forum of speculation worthy of a school child. Iran always gives us several clues so learn to see them well

And did you notice the f-4 SM (super upgraded) in the underground bunker? I'm sure not

Back
Top Bottom