What's new

IRIAF | News and Discussions

maybe different engine
but about AIM-9p , its delivery started at 1978 are you sure we get those not the previous version that its delivery began from 1972 ?
the difference in weight maybe is because we developed it separately from AIM-9p and its not an aim-9p reverse engineered missile, so there are those changes in weight.

Here is the thing. AIM-9P/N/J have the same aerodynamic shape, weight, length etc. Only difference is an Indium antimonide (InSb) seeker for longer wavelength sensitivity + optical filter for all aspect attack. What IIAF got for F-14A was AIM-9J the pre version of AIM-9P. When Fatter was unvieled in an exhibition show in 2000s they presented it as "an All aspect heat seekin missile". Shahsafi new IRIAF Commander said that a maximgum of 40 km range during tests has been achieved (in line with AIM-9P/J). Authors related Fatter to be an AIM-9P copy because of all aspect capability which comes from an indigenous seeker that resembles none of the AIM-9 series seekers including AIM-9J that IIAF received. This seeker, whatever it is, also 3 Kg heavier than AIM-9J and AIM-9P.

1657010302609.png

Knowing the sudden rise in use of Focal Planar Array FPA Imaging IR guidance in Air defence IRSTs of Iran, I won't be too surprised if there are plans to use FPA for A2A missiles.

Turning Fatter into AIM-9X BlK II/III is well within Iranian reach and I will tell you how. We know multiple Iranian companies producing FPA (Focal planar array) seekers for AD batteries IRSTs. The above given Khordad system's TIC-S-2 uses a long-range secondary FPA tracking. The same system of guidance is used by modern most AIM-9X Blk III that arms F-22/F-35.

So with an FPA seeker and 1.6 times the solid fuel ... You get a modern IR-seeking missile pulling 30 G's with no escape zone of 60 KM. If slaved with HMD presented above, this becomes a formidable system even for low RCS adversaries.

I will write more on this subject

Last edited:
Here is the thing. AIM-9P/N/J have the same aerodynamic shape, weight, length etc. Only difference is an Indium antimonide (InSb) seeker for longer wavelength sensitivity + optical filter for all aspect attack. What IIAF got for F-14A was AIM-9J the pre version of AIM-9P. When Fatter was unvieled in an exhibition show in 2000s they presented it as "an All aspect IR seeking missiles. Shahsafi new IRIAF Commander said that a maximum of 40 km range during tests has been achieved (in line with AIM-9P/J). Authors related Fatter to be an AIM-9P copy because of all aspect capability which comes from an indigenous seeker that resembles none of the AIM-9 series seekers including AIM-9J that IIAF received. This seeker, whatever it is, also 3 Kg heavier than AIM-9J and AIM-9P.

View attachment 859227

Knowing the sudden rise in use of Focal Planar Array FPA Imaging IR guidance in Air defence IRSTs of Iran, I won't be too surprised if there are plans to use FPA for A2A missiles.

Turning Fatter into AIM-9X BlK II/III is well within Iranian reach and I will tell you how. We know multiple Iranian companies producing FPA (Focal planar array) seekers for AD batteries IRSTs. The above given Khordad system's TIC-S-2 uses a long-range secondary FPA tracking. The same system of guidance is used by modern most AIM-9X Blk III that arms F-33/F-35.

So with an FPA seeker and 1.6 times the solid fuel ... You get a modern IR-seeking missile pulling 30 G's with no escape zone of 60 KM. If slaved with HMD presented above, this becomes a formidable system even for low RCS adversaries.

I will write more on this subject
you see there is at least 5 generation of AIM-9P and as far ad i'm aware compared to AIM-9J they used a new engine in it and it use newer electronic , that new engine resulted in longer range for aim-9p compared to aim-9J
AIM-9 EARLY SUBTYPE COMPARISON TABLE
SubtypeAIM-9BAIM-9DAIM-9EAIM-9GAIM-9H
ServiceJointUSNUSAFUSNUSN
Seeker Design Features
OriginNWCAIM-9BAIM-9BAIM-9DAIM-9G
DetectorPbSPbSPbSPbSPbS
CoolingUncooledNitrogenPeltierNitrogenNitrogen
Dome WindowGlassMgF2MgF2MgF2MgF2
Reticle Speed [Hz]70125100125125
ModulationAMAMAMAMAM
Track Rate [deg/s]11.012.016.512.0>12.0
Electronicsthermionicthermionichybridthermionicsolid state
Warheadblast/fragmentcontinuous rodblast/fragmentcontinuous rodcontinuous rod
FusePassive-IR,Passive-IR/HFPassive-IRPassive-IR/HFPassive-IR/HF
Powerplant Specifications
ManufacturerThiokolHerculesThiokolHerculesHercules Bermite
TypeMk.17Mk.36Mk.17Mk.36Mk.36 Mod 5, 6, 7
LauncherAero-IIILAU-7AAero-IIILAU-7ALAU-7A
Missile Dimensions[ft]
Length9.289.49.849.49.4
Span1.832.061.832.062.06
Weight[lb]155.2195.1164.2191.8186.3

AIM-9 LATE SUBTYPE COMPARISON TABLE

SubtypeAIM-9JAIM-9LAIM-9MAIM-9P-4/5AIM-9R
ServiceUSAFJointJointUSAFUSN
Seeker Design Features
OriginAIM-9EAIM-9HAIM-9LAIM-9J/NAIM-9M
DetectorPbSInSbInSbInSbFocal Plane Array
CoolingPeltierArgonArgonArgon-
Dome WindowMgF2MgF2MgF2MgF2Glass
Reticle Speed [Hz]100125125100Focal Plane Array
ModulationAMFMFMFMFocal Plane Array
Track Rate [deg/s]16.5classifiedclassified>16.5classified
Electronicshybridsolid statesolid statesolid statesolid state
Warheadblast/fragmentionAnnular BFAnnular BFAnnular BFAnnular BF
FusePassive-IRIR/LaserIR/LaserIR/LaserIR/Laser
ManufacturerHercules/AerojetHercules/BermiteMTI/HerculesHercules/AerojetMTI/Hercules
TypeMk.17Mk.36 Mod.7,8Mk.36 Mod.9SR.116Mk.36 Mod.9
LauncherAero-IIICommonCommonCommonCommon
Missile Dimensions[ft]
Length10.09.59.510.09.5
Span1.92.12.11.92.1
Weight[lb]170.0191.0191.0190.0191.0

by the way are you sure we get AIM-9J for our F-14 not AIM-9G/H ?
AIM-9J was an air force weapon while AIM-9G/H was a navy weapon.

Last edited:
you see there is at least 5 generation of AIM-9P and as far ad i'm aware compared to AIM-9J they used a new engine in it and it use newer electronic , that new engine resulted in longer range for aim-9p compared to aim-9J

SubtypeAIM-9BAIM-9DAIM-9EAIM-9GAIM-9H
ServiceJointUSNUSAFUSNUSN
Seeker Design Features
OriginNWCAIM-9BAIM-9BAIM-9DAIM-9G
DetectorPbSPbSPbSPbSPbS
CoolingUncooledNitrogenPeltierNitrogenNitrogen
Dome WindowGlassMgF2MgF2MgF2MgF2
Reticle Speed [Hz]70125100125125
ModulationAMAMAMAMAM
Track Rate [deg/s]11.012.016.512.0>12.0
Electronicsthermionicthermionichybridthermionicsolid state
Warheadblast/fragmentcontinuous rodblast/fragmentcontinuous rodcontinuous rod
FusePassive-IR,Passive-IR/HFPassive-IRPassive-IR/HFPassive-IR/HF
ManufacturerThiokolHerculesThiokolHerculesHercules Bermite
TypeMk.17Mk.36Mk.17Mk.36Mk.36 Mod 5, 6, 7
LauncherAero-IIILAU-7AAero-IIILAU-7ALAU-7A
Missile Dimensions[ft]
Length9.289.49.849.49.4
Span1.832.061.832.062.06
Weight[lb]155.2195.1164.2191.8186.3

AIM-9 LATE SUBTYPE COMPARISON TABLE

SubtypeAIM-9JAIM-9LAIM-9MAIM-9P-4/5AIM-9R
ServiceUSAFJointJointUSAFUSN
Seeker Design Features
OriginAIM-9EAIM-9HAIM-9LAIM-9J/NAIM-9M
DetectorPbSInSbInSbInSbFocal Plane Array
CoolingPeltierArgonArgonArgon-
Dome WindowMgF2MgF2MgF2MgF2Glass
Reticle Speed [Hz]100125125100Focal Plane Array
ModulationAMFMFMFMFocal Plane Array
Track Rate [deg/s]16.5classifiedclassified>16.5classified
Electronicshybridsolid statesolid statesolid statesolid state
Warheadblast/fragmentionAnnular BFAnnular BFAnnular BFAnnular BF
FusePassive-IRIR/LaserIR/LaserIR/LaserIR/Laser
ManufacturerHercules/AerojetHercules/BermiteMTI/HerculesHercules/AerojetMTI/Hercules
TypeMk.17Mk.36 Mod.7,8Mk.36 Mod.9SR.116Mk.36 Mod.9
LauncherAero-IIICommonCommonCommonCommon
Missile Dimensions[ft]
Length10.09.59.510.09.5
Span1.92.12.11.92.1
Weight[lb]170.0191.0191.0190.0191.0

by the way are you sure we get AIM-9J for our F-14 not AIM-9G/H ?
AIM-9J was an air force weapon while AIM-9G/H was a navy weapon.

AIM-9J and AIM-9P have no difference in ranges. They are the same missile except for all aspects InSB seeker in AIM-9P. Dr. Carlo Kopp who ran Aussie air power says the same. Later AIM-9P4/5 versions had different motors from the same manufacturer but the range remained the same. Fatter has not much of a range enhancement either if you ask me. AIM-9J/P has an effective range of 36 KM. If fired at a higher speed may be more. So Fatter's 40 KM is well within that domain. The range change in this family only occurred in the last decade with AIM-9X Blk II/II with USN saying that range has been enhanced by 60+ % which translates to ~ 60 KM. So even if a USN F-35 or F/A-18 is flying with just Blk III sidewinders it's still capable of attacking the enemy at BVR ranges. Fatter with the same strategy of more fuel, dual (midcourse+terminal) guidance, FPA imaging IR can turn into a deadly BVR weapon for Kowsar-I/II fleet and future A2A UCAVs.

So while they are throwing in money for Fakour-90B and Maghsoud while also purchasing probably PL-12/15 from china in the future (not sure). They have all the ingredients of a dangerous BVR missile at their hands if Fatter undergoes some R&D.

Mind you AIM-9P was or still is the primary killer of NATO AF. They won the war for RAF over Argentina where slow Harriers murdered the Argentina 2 Mach+ Mirages in the air with it. AIM-9P also scored heavily on Iraqi Migs.

IRIAF has never been seen with anything other than AIM-9J or its driven Fatter. Look at the canards and you find nothing but originally supplied AIM-9J or Fatters. Operational Fatters have shiny steel rollerons on tail fins while practice rounds have no rollerons and have blue markings.

1657026152347.png

1657025434739.png

Fatter/Azarakhsh Fin section is bit differently constructed from a conventional AIM-9P/J

1657026255981.png
1657027200999.png
1657025836562.png

Last edited:
AIM-9J and AIM-9P have no difference in ranges. They are the same missile except for all aspects InSB seeker in AIM-9P. Dr. Carlo Kopp who ran Aussie air power says the same. Later AIM-9P4/5 versions had different motors from the same manufacturer but the range remained the same. Fatter has not much of a range enhancement either if you ask me. AIM-9J/P has an effective range of 36 KM. If fired at a higher speed may be more. So Fatter's 40 KM is well within that domain. The range change in this family only occurred in the last decade with AIM-9X Blk II/II with USN saying that range has been enhanced by 60+ % which translates to ~ 60 KM. So even if a USN F-35 or F/A-18 is flying with just Blk III sidewinders it's still capable of attacking the enemy at BVR ranges. Fatter with the same strategy of more fuel, dual (midcourse+terminal) guidance, FPA imaging IR can turn into a deadly BVR weapon for Kowsar-I/II fleet and future A2A UCAVs.

So while they are throwing in money for Fakour-90B and Maghsoud while also purchasing probably PL-12/15 from china in the future (not sure). They have all the ingredients of a dangerous BVR missile at their hands if Fatter undergoes some R&D.

Mind you AIM-9P was or still is the primary killer of NATO AF. They won the war for RAF over Argentina where slow Harriers murdered the Argentina 2 Mach+ Mirages in the air with it. AIM-9P also scored heavily on Iraqi Migs.

IRIAF has never been seen with anything other than AIM-9J or its driven Fatter. Look at the canards and you find nothing but originally supplied AIM-9J or Fatters. Operational Fatters have shiny steel rollerons on tail fins while practice rounds have no rollerons and have blue markings.

View attachment 859271
View attachment 859269

Fatter/Azarakhsh Fin section is bit differently constructed from a conventional AIM-9P/J

View attachment 859272View attachment 859275View attachment 859270
about AIM-9J and AIM-9P have the same range i have my doubt ,every source i look say 9P is an Improvement over 9J and state one of the improvement is range and engagement envelop.
but honestly hear i can't be sure because very few source make any distinction between AIM-9P1 to AIM-9P5
The AIM-9J, a conversion of the AIM-B and E models, has maneuvering capability for dogfighting, and greater speed and range, giving it greater enhanced aerial combat capability. Deliveries began in 1977 to equip the F-15 and other Sidewinder-compatible aircraft.
The AIM-9P, an improved version of the J model, has greater engagement boundaries, enabling it to be launched farther from the target. The more maneuverable P model also incorporated improved solid-state electronics that increased reliability and maintainability. Deliveries began in 1978.

The AIM-9P-1 has an active optical target detector instead of the infrared influence fuse; the AIM-9P-2 added a reduced-smoke motor. The most recently developed version, the AIM-9P-3, combined both the active optical target detector and the reduced-smoke motor. It also has added mechanical strengthening to the warhead as well as the guidance and control section. The improved warhead uses new explosive material that is less sensitive to high temperature and has a longer shelf life.
but don't knew you may be correct , externally the missiles are nearly identical , except you can Fire AIM-9J only toward enemy tail , while AIM-9P can fired from any angle

about AIM-9J and AIM-9P have the same range i have my doubt ,every source i look say 9P is an Improvement over 9J and state one of the improvement is range and engagement envelop.
but honestly hear i can't be sure because very few source make any distinction between AIM-9P1 to AIM-9P5

but don't knew you may be correct , externally the missiles are nearly identical , except you can Fire AIM-9J only toward enemy tail , while AIM-9P can fired from any angle

In your own pasted links, nowhere it is written that AIM-9P and J have different ranges. Read again the author is describing that AIM-9P versions have solid-state electronics, low smoke motor, and in P4/5 we have an InSb detector for all aspect attacks that is it. Same range, same canards, fins, weight.

Fattar is just Iranian AIM-9P equivalent (that IIAF never received) with a slightly modified fin section. What makes it 3 Kg heavy is probably its seeker. Iranian companies love to play with seekers and motors while retaining the aerodynamics to some degree.

Fakour-90 retained AIM-54 shape but seeker got changed
Fatter is AIM-9J/P with different seeker
Sayyad has SM-1 like shape with local seeker
Taer-2B/9 Dey = 9M317 with local seeker
Ghader is elongated C-803 with local ARH
List goes on and on

:rofl: شنیدم میراژها به زودی با تسلیحات به نمایش در میان

1657042549641-png.859316

Saegheh-I 3-7369

Undernose
-TACAN
-UHF/IFF

Dorsal
-ADF antenna
-VHF

Tail
-TACAN
-IFF
-ILS

1657184230538.png

Hope they get dismantled, they have served their purpose, its time to be useful for KOWSAR fleet.

Saegheh-I 3-7369

Undernose
-TACAN
-UHF/IFF

Dorsal
-ADF antenna
-VHF

Tail
-TACAN
-IFF
-ILS

View attachment 859720

Hope they get dismantled, they have served their purpose, its time to be useful for KOWSAR fleet.
I have a primitive question..what are the rules for colors of military fighter/bomber/ transport planes...why Iran does not use Grey color used by most fighters..are there any standards for this coloring..

I have a primitive question..what are the rules for colors of military fighter/bomber/ transport planes...why Iran does not use Grey color used by most fighters..are there any standards for this coloring..

I have wondered that too, I guess it has more to do with traditions? IIAAF used splinter camo on all their fighters, IRIAF carried that tradition on. Currently its like,

Splinter for F-14AM, F-4E/D, Kowsar, F-5E/F/A/Saeghe, SU-24M, F-7N
Grey/Sky blue for F-14A, RF-4, MIG-29, Mirage F-1
White for of Simorgh F-5B, F-7N
Green for SU-22 (IRGCAF), Azarakhsh prototype
Bue angels Navy blue for Saeghe and Kowsar prototypes

Its weird tbh to have such clownish colors on war machines, IRIAF/IRGC-AF should go all American Sky-blue with black/Grey radomes. It looks decent for aircraft and makes things look professional. It also tells us what kinds of jokers are occupying decision-making seats in IRIAF. These people are caught up in 1970s-80s when even these track-suit camos were common around the world on military planes. Fortunately, they have not done the same to the UCAV fleet which is just single-tone off-white or Grey/Light blue.

This should be future IRIAF camo with Kowsar-I/II, MIGs, F-14AM.

1657218867084.png
1657219260619.png
1657219430216.png

I have wondered that too, I guess it has more to do with traditions? IIAAF used splinter camo on all their fighters, IRIAF carried that tradition on. Currently its like,

Its weird tbh to have such clownish colors on war machines, IRIAF/IRGC-AF should go all American Sky-blue with black/Grey radomes. It looks decent for aircraft and makes things look professional. It also tells us what kinds of jokers are occupying decision-making seats in IRIAF. These people are caught up in 1970s-80s when even these track-suit camos were common around the world on military planes. Fortunately, they have not done the same to the UCAV fleet which is just single-tone off-white or Grey/Light blue.

View attachment 859834View attachment 859835View attachment 859836
I fear if they follow Americans , it become the result
080306-F-1234A-0801.jpg

8293188756_c35d325c3e_b.jpg

jckxfe095pk11.jpg

but about the color
Aviation researchers, through trial and error, realized that grey color provided better ‘countershading’ for a military aircraft instead of blue or green camouflage. This countershading technique helps a military aircraft to stay visually indistinguishable from the environment, whereas if an aircraft were painted blue, it would be identifiable from afar on the ground and even in the sky.

To have a clear idea, imagine you are looking at a bright blue fighter jet from above, against the terrain. It will be identified in a moment. Therefore, in comparison, the grey paint is always harder to identify against the haziness of the atmosphere and provide good camouflage for military aircraft in most situations.

Dark and Light Brown Camouflage used by Middle East Military Forces​

Several militaries in the middle east area, including Israeli and Jordanian Air Forces, maintain a fleet of Light and Dark brown camouflaged aircraft.

Considering the terrain they operate on, which is mostly brown desert dunes or mounds, the dark and light brown camouflage enables them to dive down once detected by enemy aircraft and effectively merge with the terrain.

Dark and Light Blue Camouflage of Russian Air Force​

Russian Air Force maintains a fleet of Sukhoi SU-34 and MIG-29 which are covered in Dark and Light Blue camouflage.

The Russian Air Force has significant operational presence in the Baltic and other similar snow-covered regions to its east. The dark and light blue camouflage may therefore be justified as they are flying on a terrain that has either glaciers or frozen white lakes.

The Swedish Air Force also maintains a strong presence in the Baltic region but unlike the Russian Air Force, it utilizes the common grey camouflage on its military aircraft.

the idea is to avoid detection the airplane can dive and fly close to ground under the eye of Radars and meanwhile virtually become invisible to any airplane flying above

It also tells us what kinds of jokers are occupying decision-making seats in IRIAF. These people are caught up in 1970s-80s when even these track-suit camos were common around the world on military planes. Fortunately, they have not done the same to the UCAV fleet which is just single-tone off-white or Grey/Light blue.
UAVS are not supposed to fly near the ground to avoid detection
or maybe they are
iu

iu

iu

to be honest its what I like to see our airplane painted in on top side they being painted shades of yellow and brown
above so we can use unique Midleastern terrain if we want to fly close to ground and their belly painted in shades of grey or blue to merge with sky if looked at from down.
well int plain colors , a digitalized version of the painting have a lot better effect.
and in the southern area airplanes that are supposed to fly over Persian gulf , is better painted some shades of light blue and green on top instead of yellow and brown so they can merge with Persian gulf if looked at up

just like these UAVs
iu

773f93e0cae5abdccd56e3e3a543ae5e.jpg

I fear if they follow Americans , it become the result
080306-F-1234A-0801.jpg

8293188756_c35d325c3e_b.jpg

jckxfe095pk11.jpg

but about the color

the idea is to avoid detection the airplane can dive and fly close to ground under the eye of Radars and meanwhile virtually become invisible to any airplane flying above

The regular camo of USAF and USN is grey/silver

1657238586585.png
1657238659201.png
1657238729792.png

Also the middle eastern airforces in splinter camo was true in 1970s and 80s. But not anymore because camos do not matter in this BVR and stealth combat aviation age. IRIAF is just run by people who have zero interest in that force or are isolated from the rest of the world. These are the fighters of all middle eastern countries around Iran. Splinter camo was a thing of past, nobody uses it anymore.

1657238851276.png
1657238992337.png
1657238873894.png
1657238861110.png
1657239076211.png

1657239049793.png
1657239219228.png

Saegheh-I 3-7369

Undernose
-TACAN
-UHF/IFF

Dorsal
-ADF antenna
-VHF

Tail
-TACAN
-IFF
-ILS

View attachment 859720

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if they stick around for a while as they are because they are relatively new and might still be providing some info or testing something. Also I do like their unique look and think they will be historically known as the laboratories that led to the first indigenous trainer/fighter.
Has me wondering something though, just as it seems that not all T72s are being fully converted to the karrar standard, do you suppose all the F-5s will be turned into kowsars, or will some of them receive partial refits/upgrades and not the whole conversion?

View attachment 859834View attachment 859835View attachment 859836
I actually like the new pixelated paint scheme of the refitted cobras and the angled camo motifs of the AM tomcats.
Had me thinking earlier that weapons of war in the older days were actually decorated and looked quite lovely so you can blur the boundaries of the two a bit. The kowsars paint also looks gorgeous. In the old idf forum I think it was gomig21 who had posted pics of a pair of F16s painted in what I called sugar and spice or fire and ice motifs and colors. So long as they don't compromise the aircraft's capabilities, why not be artistic with them like in the much older days.

Last edited:
The regular camo of USAF and USN is grey/silver

View attachment 859888View attachment 859889View attachment 859890

Also the middle eastern airforces in splinter camo was true in 1970s and 80s. But not anymore because camos do not matter in this BVR and stealth combat aviation age. IRIAF is just run by people who have zero interest in that force or are isolated from the rest of the world. These are the fighters of all middle eastern countries around Iran. Splinter camo was a thing of past, nobody uses it anymore.

View attachment 859891View attachment 859894View attachment 859893View attachment 859892View attachment 859896
View attachment 859895View attachment 859897
you see in BVR it won't matter , they like that splinter cameo for when they fly at low altitude ,what's the problem with it ? is it bad to be different ?
you prefer grey , I prefer digitalized yellow or blue, they have their reasoning for the paint scheme and they are using the airplane , the color don't mean show Professionalism or anything else .
screenshot.png

several years ago they used grey or sort or more exact grey-blue , they didn't like it.
article_60ec4a678ac538_41543936.jpg

Militaries all around the world try to make everything in standard "form", "shape" "color"..etc..whenever possible..the reason being able to recognize, re-use, or swap/interchange and maintain gears in a the hectic combat situation. Nato countries are very serious about the "Standardization" process . Logistics is also a big driver of "Standardization"..imagine spare parts warehousing of five different type of weapon that basically do the same job..imagine the poor service guy who has to fix them..and all the training materials that have to prepared...
In Iranian military I notice a total freedom of style, shape, color, naming..etc which is great if you are selling commercial products but not if you are selling warmachines....how many different uniforms we have in Iranian military..how many rifles ..etc

My point...I do not care if they paint all aircraft pink..just make all of them pink...and stay with it..If you want to be recognized as a professional organization these "not so important" issues become important..:undecided::undecided:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom