What's new

IRIAF | News and Discussions

What are you talking about ? IRIAF fighting with 50 years old rebuilt F-5E/F and some 20-30 x tomcats ? that when enemy will be fielding dozens of squadrons of Rafale, Tyfoon, F-15SE and what not

When have I said that? All my time I've been following Iranian defence matters, I've wanted the IRIAF to be completely modernised!

Merger of IRIAF with IRGC will at-least build confidence in Mullah circles that aerial wing is not gonna threaten their grip on Tehran. They would allow deals with China or Russia for TOT of 4.5 gen MRCA's that can at-least safeguard Iranian skies against regional foes.

I've already said why a merger is not possible.

Iran has to bite the bullet and stop having these overlapping armed forces. It is a waste of resources. But that doesn't mean moving assets where they don't belong.

When have I said that? All my time I've been following Iranian defence matters, I've wanted the IRIAF to be completely modernised!

I've already said why a merger is not possible.

Iran has to bite the bullet and stop having these overlapping armed forces. It is a waste of resources. But that doesn't mean moving assets where they don't belong.

You said before that it fights and act differently than IRGC. I was merely mentioning that an air wing with no credible modern weapon in the sky can not fight or act.

Mullah do not want a strong IRIAF. Nojeh Coup mentality is not going to change and in few years IRIAF will literally be reduced to dirt if drastic political decisions are not made. It already is a sick joke in the region. Mullahs do trust IRGC though, IRGC chief has considerable power and they get funds and all kinds of support so why not give them IRIAF as well so that IRGC can take over this dying, ageing, rotten organization and use their funds and resources to modernize it? Look how far they have dragged the missile program that its a proper offensive threat to regional foes. I see them quickly modernizing IRIAF to a a credible offensive arm too in 5-10 years with proper procurement and management.

Mullah do not want a strong IRIAF. Nojeh Coup mentality is not going to change and in few years IRIAF will literally be reduced to dirt if drastic political decisions are not made. It already is a sick joke in the region. Mullahs do trust IRGC though, IRGC chief has considerable power and they get funds and all kinds of support so why not give them IRIAF as well so that IRGC can take over this dying, ageing, rotten organization and use their funds and resources to modernize it? Look how far they have dragged the missile program that its a proper offensive threat to regional foes. I see them quickly modernizing IRIAF to a a credible offensive arm too in 5-10 years with proper procurement and management.

Well they are after the Su-30 which at least shows that they want to modernise it, but I don't think the IRGC even want the IRIAF, it doesn't fit in with their asymmetric doctrine. You'd have to change the whole officer corps into one that fights asymmetrically and those just don't exist, at the very least not in Iran. No, the Artesh must remain on its own. The problem is procurement and management, at least procurement is trying to be solved with the Su-30 purchase, but I'm afraid poor management may doom the "semi-heavy fighter" project.

IRIAF should be merged with IRGC-AF. It will get the funds and care it badly needs.

IRGC should merged in Artesh and act under its name while keep her structure ... ( this should happen even on paper )

Well they are after the Su-30 which at least shows that they want to modernise it, but I don't think the IRGC even want the IRIAF, it doesn't fit in with their asymmetric doctrine. You'd have to change the whole officer corps into one that fights asymmetrically and those just don't exist, at the very least not in Iran. No, the Artesh must remain on its own. The problem is procurement and management, at least procurement is trying to be solved with the Su-30 purchase, but I'm afraid poor management may doom the "semi-heavy fighter" project.

They should stop increase rank of the officer base on their loyalty and they should stop recruiting officers base on their loyalty ...

Islamic Republic as whole is facing with mismanagement so Artesh and IRGC are effected as well ...

this is the most depressing page of this forum for me to visit. At least people are not blaming IRIAF supposed "lack of creativity" for their state anymore. and seeing the reality of complete government abandonement.

I have met several old army officers from the shah era who still hold nostalgia and loyalty to the shah. one can only imagine the air force sentiment. must be a very demoralised force.

especially given the overwhelming role they played in the Iraq war. Despite the air force personnel getting treated like garbage. seeing colleauges jailed/executed and held in suspicion.

The Iranian government is never going to pour tens of billions of dollars to modernise a force it never trusted and doesn't see as a tool of government survival. that's just the reality of the situation.

airdangerzone-20180225-0001.jpg

Everyone here is blaming everyone and everything, are you all idiots?.

You can definitely have multiple forces, the problem isn't all on mismanagement. There is mismanagement and corruption in every countries armed forces, The real problem is the lack of funds. Aircraft's are probably the most expensive things to develop,
"F-35 development started in 1992 with the origins of the Joint Strike Fighter program and is set to culminate in full production in 2018" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Martin_F-35_Lightning_II

It can takes decades to develop new up to date aircraft with huge amounts of money and resources needed. The reality is Iran doesn't have the money and with a budget Iran has, it has to prioritize what it needs to fund for its deterrence policy. Iran cant buy aircraft from Russia due to the sanctions and restrictions of the nuclear deal and I dont think Russia would sell them anyways as to not upset its economic partners in the region.

Unfortunately I dont think there is a solution to modernize the Iranian Airforce

Last edited:
Everyone here is blaming everyone and everything, are you all idiots?.

You can definitely have multiple forces, the problem isn't all on mismanagement. There is mismanagement and corruption in every countries armed forces, The real problem is the lack of funds. Aircraft's are probably the most expensive things to develop,
"F-35 development started in 1992 with the origins of the Joint Strike Fighter program and is set to culminate in full production in 2018" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Martin_F-35_Lightning_II

It can takes decades to develop new up to date aircraft with huge amounts of money and resources needed. The reality is Iran doesn't have the money and with a budget Iran has, it has to prioritize what it needs to fund for its deterrence policy. Iran cant buy aircraft from Russia due to the sanctions and restrictions of the nuclear deal and I dont think Russia would sell them anyways as to not upset its economic partners in the region.

Unfortunately I dont think there is a solution to modernize the Iranian Airforce

when one person can just take 3 billion dollars from people and run away and live his happy life in Canda and almost no one take responsibility for it and then this damn thing ( stealing people money and running ) repeat years after years and it just grow in scale , then that means there is money for funding project ( from civil project to military projects ) but the funds are missing ...

our problem is not making something like F22 or Rafael , our problem is that we knew our country is capable to build something like modernized version of F-5 with modern avionics and in good number but there is no result ...

for god Sake we are losing our most capable engineers every year , and they leave our country to go to and live in western countries due corruption and mismanagement ...

https://edition.cnn.com/2017/06/27/middleeast/irans-mit-sharif-university-technology/index.html

when one person can just take 3 billion dollars from people and run away and live his happy life in Canda and almost no one take responsibility for it and then this damn thing ( stealing people money and running ) repeat years after years and it just grow in scale , then that means there is money for funding project ( from civil project to military projects ) but the funds are missing ...

our problem is not making something like F22 or Rafael , our problem is that we knew our country is capable to build something like modernized version of F-5 with modern avionics and in good number but there is no result ...

for god Sake we are losing our most capable engineers every year , and they leave our country to go to and live in western countries due corruption and mismanagement ...

https://edition.cnn.com/2017/06/27/middleeast/irans-mit-sharif-university-technology/index.html
First of all that money was stolen from an institution(bank), not the budget, so I dont know why you are comparing this with that. There is corruption everywhere and mismanagement, just look at Pakistan and with all their billionaire politicians

First of all that money was stolen from an institution(bank), not the budget, so I dont know why you are comparing this with that. There is corruption everywhere and mismanagement, just look at Pakistan and with all their billionaire politicians

almost all medium and great economic institute in Iran are under government ....
we did revolution to stop corruption and cut hand of thieves from our national wealth not to change thieves ....

almost all medium and great economic institute in Iran are under government ....
we did revolution to stop corruption and cut hand of thieves from our national wealth not to change thieves ....
You clearly have no idea what the hell you are talking about, the money that was stolen was the bank's money not the army's money. You are acting like if the money was not stolen, it would have gone to the army, NO it would not have. Each agency and department have their own budget they receive and the air force's and army's budget are too small for any major changes. Revolution changes policies, its does not end corruption

You clearly have no idea what the hell you are talking about, the money that was stolen was the bank's money not the army's money. You are acting like if the money was not stolen, it would have gone to the army, NO it would not have. Each agency and department have their own budget they receive and the air force's and army's budget are too small for any major changes. Revolution changes policies, its does not end corruption
Well said sir,well said!

Back
Top Bottom