What's new

Iraqi Kurdish oil flow to Turkey has begun: Turkish Energy minister

-SINAN-

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Crude oil from Iraqi Kurdistan has started flowing via a new pipeline to the Turkish Mediterranean export hub of Ceyhan but will not be shipped to world markets without the consent of Baghdad, Turkish Energy Minister Taner Yıldız said on Jan. 3.

He said he hoped a deal could be reached this month to allow the exports to begin.

Turkey signed a multi-billion-dollar energy package late last year with Iraqi Kurdistan (KRG), which will see the rich hydrocarbon resources of the semi-autonomous region independently exported via Turkey.

The move infuriated Baghdad, which claims the sole authority to manage Iraqi oil, but Turkey has been working to get the central government on board before exports start.

"The flow of crude oil from Iraq has begun. It is being stored. It will not be exported without the consent of the Iraqi government," Yıldız told a news conference.

The Turkish-KRG deal has enormous significance for major oil companies as well as for the Kurds and Turkey, which can benefit in domestic supply and onward westward export through Ceyhan.

Yıldız visited Baghdad in early December for talks with Iraq's Deputy Prime Minister Hussain al-Shahristani, who has long opposed Turkey's courtship of the Kurdish region.

ENERGY - Iraqi Kurdish oil flow to Turkey has begun: Energy minister

@Sinan
I don't normally like to comment on Turkish issues because its none of my business. But, I have a question.

I know Turkey is trying to reduce its energy supplies from Russia (since nobody wants to give that much influence to the Russians) but isn't signing a gas deal with the Kurds almost as bad?

What if the Kurds buys new weapons with the money they get from the energy revenues so they can restart the terror attacks? Isn't anybody worried about this?

@Sinan
I don't normally like to comment on Turkish issues because its none of my business. But, I have a question.

I know Turkey is trying to reduce its energy supplies from Russia (since nobody wants to give that much influence to the Russians) but isn't signing a gas deal with the Kurds almost as bad?

What if the Kurds buys new weapons with the money they get from the energy revenues so they can restart the terror attacks? Isn't anybody worried about this?
There is a difference between PKK(terrorists)and the KRG(Kurdish autonomus region of Northern Iraq).
Officially they are not aligned.

There is no difference. Maybe in politics. But it is very natural that KRG gives aid to PKK, which by the way resides in KRG area. KRG also aids the Kurds in Western Kurdistan and Syria.

Turks like to believe that there is a difference between Kurds from different parts of Kurdistan. I would too if I was a Turk. It is better to come up with theories that you do not even believe yourself than to face the cruel reality ( that KRG aids PKK and PYD with money they earn from selling oil to Turkey). What an irony though that the Kurds in KRG are their best neighbours at the moment... mean while Kurds in Northern Kurdistan and Turkey are their worst enemies.

In international vocabulary they call it ' Good Kurds, bad Kurds'. But as Kurds, we do not really care. It is like hitting two birds with one stone.

There is a difference between PKK(terrorists)and the KRG(Kurdish autonomus region of Northern Iraq).
Officially they are not aligned.

Oh, okay. I thought Erdogan was too trusting with the Kurds. But, it makes sense.

What disputes do the PKK and KRG have with each other? Is it cuz of ideology? Or maybe cuz of money problems? Or maybe a personal argument between their leaders?

Oh, okay. I thought Erdogan was too trusting with the Kurds. But, it makes sense.

What disputes do the PKK and KRG have with each other? Is it cuz of ideology? Or maybe cuz of money problems? Or maybe a personal argument between their leaders?
They dont have any disputes,they only have different opinions and actions against my country.
Pkk wants an own country(South-eastern part)on Turkish soil.
KRG(for now),wants to do business,sell oil and gas,buy products,services,goods, help build infrastucture etc...

I am some what confused were turkey not anti kurd ?
We are anti PKK(terrorists),not anti Kurd.
Kurds and Turks lived in peace for centuries(from the Ottoman era)untill the PKK came.
Btw,dont feed the terrorist supporting troll,this guy is a PKK supporter.
We dont take him serious.

They dont have any disputes,they only have different opinions and actions against my country.
Pkk wants an own country(South-eastern part)on Turkish soil.
KRG(for now),wants to do business,sell oil and gas,buy products,services,goods, help build infrastucture etc...

Yeah, its good thing the KRG and PKK are distracted. It gives Turks to focus on other annoying problems.

I only hope Turks don't trust them too much. It sounds like they (both PKK and KRG) want a 15 minute break so they can recover their losses and buy new weapons.

A couple of Turkish bureaucrats might believe PKK & KRG want permanent peace this time but nobody can be a fortune teller & say with certainty that they won't restart the conflict. Hopefully, somebody in Ankara has military plans ready to go if they try again.

You don't seem worried, mate. But to me, its like the whole world has fvcking crazy! Theres new conflicts starting all over the world in Africa, Syria, the other parts of the Middle East, and next door here right by South Korea.

Edit: I put Istanbul as Turkey's capital, I forgot that it was actually Ankara. My bad, guys

Last edited:
Yeah, its good thing the KRG and PKK are distracted. It gives Turks to focus on other annoying problems.

I only hope Turks don't trust them too much. It sounds like they (both PKK and KRG) want a 15 minute break so they can recover their losses and buy new weapons.

A couple of Turkish bureaucrats might believe PKK & KRG want permanent peace this time but nobody can be a fortune teller & say with certainty that they won't restart the conflict. Hopefully, somebody in Istanbul has military plans ready to go if they try again.

You don't seem worried, mate. But to me, its like the whole world has fvcking crazy! Theres new conflicts starting all over the world in Africa, Syria, the other parts of the Middle East, and next door here right by South Korea.
In a couple of months,the situation will change;)
Teahan Min Guk!
Thats all i know,hope i said it right.

@Sinan

You are our brother thousands of miles away. Don't hesitate to comment on our issues..;)

You are our brother thousands of miles away. Don't hesitate to comment on our issues..;)

Yeah, its just that when I see threads around here especially with those that have Chinese & Indians members on them, I get easily dissapointed cuz they're only talking trash to each other. They're not even debating about the subject.

I don't feel like being on PDF all the time cuz it feels like its turning into a nationalistic tit-for-tat blogspot where people just dump on each other's countries.

I don't know whether you feel the same way, but yeah. Thats how I think it is.

@Sinan

PKK a terrorist organization and KRG a regional government differs.

KRG's president Barzani are on bad terms with Ocalan because both of them strive for the leadership of the Kurds.... It doesn't matter if Barzani choose to be hostile against us, they will be sandwiched between Turkey and Iraq, central government. They know this so they are acting to our bidding.

Back
Top Bottom