What's new

Iran's Jask-2 a unique torpedo and Missile combination

Philosopher

Reaction score
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
This thread is about a clever innovation by the Iranian defence industry. There have been some confusions regarding this system, so this thread will remove those.

The Jask-2 is essentially a torpedo which carries a missile inside. So far, Jask-2 has been used to deliver the Iranian version of the C-704. However, you can use any missile. So long as the missile can be fitted inside.

So to clarify, the Jask-2 is not a specific missile, but rather a missile delivery system. Many people are confused as when you search online, many news sources erroneously think this Jask-2 is the c-704 etc.

ir-jask2-1551382530.jpg

What makes the Jask-2 unique compare to other encapsulated systems around is that it has its own motor.

H.I Sutton explains:

According to submarine authority H.I. Sutton, author of the Covert Shores undersea warfare blog, the missile is launched in a somewhat unusual manner. “For submarine-launched missiles like Harpoon and Exocet, the capsule is expelled from the submarine and rises to the surface where the end comes off and the missile motor is ignited," Sutton explained to Popular Mechanics. "Jask-2 is unique because the capsule has its own motor.”

https://www.popularmechanics.com/mi...4258/iran-torpedo-missile-combination-jask-2/

So, why is Jask-2 important? This system allows you to fire cruise missiles/Anti-ship missiles from midget/small size submarine. In other words, the dozens of Iranian midget sized submarine are now equipped with Anti-ship missile capability. You can imagine a scenario where dozens of midget submarine are laying at the bottom of the Persian gulf, waiting to fire these missiles. Indeed a nightmare for any opposing Navy.

The Jask-2 has already entered mass production and there is also a Jask-3 in the works. I am assuming the Jask-3 will be bigger and allow larger missiles to be fired.

This thread is about a clever innovation by the Iranian defence industry. There have been some confusions regarding this system, so this thread will remove those.

The Jask-2 is essentially a torpedo which carries a missile inside. So far, Jask-2 has been used to deliver the Iranian version of the C-704. However, you can use any missile. So long as the missile can be fitted inside.

So to clarify, the Jask-2 is not a specific missile, but rather a missile delivery system. Many people are confused as when you search online, many news sources erroneously think this Jask-2 is the c-704 etc.

ir-jask2-1551382530.jpg

What makes the Jask-2 unique compare to other encapsulated systems around is that it has its own motor.

H.I Sutton explains:

So, why is Jask-2 important? This system allows you to fire cruise missiles/Anti-ship missiles from midget/small size submarine. In other words, the dozens of Iranian midget sized submarine are now equipped with Anti-ship missile capability. You can imagine a scenario where dozens of midget submarine are laying at the bottom of the Persian gulf, waiting to fire these missiles. Indeed a nightmare for any opposing Navy.

The Jask-2 has already entered mass production and there is also a Jask-3 in the works. I am assuming the Jask-3 will be bigger and allow larger missiles to be fired.

The kinematics of the Ghadir are very low. It needs a system like the Jask-2 to remain outside the area where ASW assets would pick up missile launch signature and hunt down the Ghadir.

Jask-2 silently creates sufficient distance from the Ghadir and only then launches the missile.

So a sub-Exocet or sub-C-802 would put the Ghadir that can't escape well at too high risk.
Jask-2 is tailored for the kinematically handicapped Ghadir and allows launch of weapon without the launching platform being detected.

Back
Top Bottom