What's new

Iranian UAVs | News and Discussions

He is not. His twitter and website has exploded due to his coverage of the second Karabagh war where he gained a reputation of being a reliable source for equipment losses due to the fact he based it all on officially released drone footage and other visual media mostly on the ground. Every single lost equipment he could back up with evidence, thus he is much more familiar with Turkish drones. Iranian drones on the other hand have a much smaller frame of reference, so it makes sense to be skeptical of their capabilities especially its FLIR which is notoriously lacking using only first gen LWIR technology not to mention its small size and low performing IR sensors and FOV capabilities. The size alone should be a big red flag. The FLIR issue has been brought up MULTIPLE times before here so its not like its new, its the most important part of the drone after all. Even Turkey who's has been HEAVELY investing into FLIR technology for nearly 2 decades only made them competitive relatively recently(we are talking about both latest Gen SWIP, LWIR, QWIP and MWIR detector alongside Cryogenically cooled technology), which resulted in export success. Also we don't need to hire some blogger to make our drones look good, its reputation and global export success speaks for itself. Since then he has done this with multiple other conflicts such as in Afghanistan, Yemen, Libya, Syria, Iraq and etc.

Is this to suggest the report that this weblog is enjoying sponsorship from a Turkish company, is untrue? Because chances are that it wouldn't be without consequences on their analyses with regards to products on that company's catalogue, including relative to comparable ones manufactured by others. This is leaving aside the omnipresent heavy bias and lopsided reporting of western media on Iran for obvious political reasons and for which there are numerous concrete examples.

As for the FLIR on the Mohajer-6, what are you basing yourself on to believe that it compromises the drone's capabilities? To argue that UAV's equipped with newer generation sensors may present certain advantages or allow for additional applications is one thing, to speak of "poor operational performance" however is a completely different one. Wording is of the essence here. And this is assuming you're familiar with the detailed specifics of the Iranian FLIR. As another user stated above, the Mohajer-6 as well as other Iranian UCAV's have a documented record of successful combat use in multiple theaters, so there's no justification for the sort of semantics used by western journalists. And even if the technology used in Mohajer's FLIR was not the most cutting edge in existence (which I personally have no information about), it's not as if UCAV's became militarily useful only since the introduction of the latest FLIR variants now, is it.

And nobody expects any western source to acknowledge this, really. In fact it would represent an anomaly if they did, so long as Iran doesn't launch a high profile media and PR campaign of her own to counter these reports (which rarely happens for a series of reasons I won't get into), or if circumstances arise in which the broad public will inevitably be confronted with no longer deniable, hard evidence for the performance and quality of Iranian-made weaponry, as happened for example with the attack on the American airbase at Ayn al-Assad, which was just bound to be covered by every mainstream media - and all of a sudden, assorted western pundits as well as state officials themselves ceased trying to cover up, sweep under the rug or downright disinform audiences about the precision and actual operational readiness and effectiveness of Iran's ballistic missiles... Overnight, blog articles and think tank papers struck a modified tone and began factoring in a reality which to objective observers had long been a given. Before Ayn al-Assad, someone like Brian Hook could gabble about how Iranian missiles are "photoshopped" and ineffectual, millions would buy it, but afterwards any such claim would have made him look ridiculous with many.

I'm not versed in technical aspects of the issue at all, but even I can detect biased language. Also what interests me isn't how the Turkish and Iranian UAV's compare, but the way in which Iran-related topics are treated in global media. My focus is on how the hostility of the US, its allies and Isra"el" towards Iran reflects upon the work of supposedly independent media, and how in fact these same media turn into weapons of propaganda, psy-ops and social engineering against Iran on behalf of the mentioned regimes.

Last edited:
Before attacking this Turkish guy, I think it will be responsible thing to do for Iranians here to explore more about the FLIR ball used in the Iranian Drones...I did have some exposure to WESCAM Product (Canadian company) that Turks used in their products before Canada stopped the exports. The heart of any FLIR besides its stabilization systems is the focal Plane array detector+ Optical components..Just as any digital camera the higher density chip you get (both visible and IR) the better resolution you have.IR detectors need cooling to reduce background noise so that is not an issue. The exact parameters in the spec that distinguish any FLIR is above my paygrade..But If Turks have access to better Focal PLane Arrays they will have better balls! (lol)..What Iran has ..I do not know :undecided:..I think I once saw a new FLIR ball in one of Iranian Optical displays but did not follow up. What Turks have of their own in terms of the CCD chip I think they still buy that outside since it requires advanced Fab line...So who has a more advanced FLIR is not know unless we compare specs..

https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2021/11/unfit-for-service-ethiopias-troublesome.html

This actually pissed me off enough,that I ended up writing a comment on the oryxspioenkop site essentially asking him to please clarify what the exact nature of the supposed problem(s) causing this claimed "poor operational performance" actually were.
So I guess we`ll just have to sit back and wait and see whether he actually replies to my post [or not],this should be interesting. :azn:

In case you`re wondering about the "angry" reaction,I`m not angry at you Jauk,I`m pissed off at this 💩article💩,but thank you for posting it nonetheless.:tup:
@Sineva , I know. No worries. I wanted to trigger exactly these series of posts.

Last edited:
The article completely contradicts itself. Iranian drones are terrible, unreliable but for some reason they are now being used regularly ? Doesn't add up. The operator of the website is a know Turkish, Baku fanboy.

Iranian drones have already proven their worth on the battlefield.

The Aramco strikes against Saudi Arabia were especially significant since they bypassed several Patriot batteries, even the latest PAC 3 variant, and hit their targets will pin point precision.

The thing about Iran is that unlike Turkey 🦃, Iran produces a wide variety of drones. Iran produces low end, mid range, high end, stealth drones, everything. The Mohajer is on the low to medium range in terms of capabilities. You get what you pay for.

The only issue is that I'm not sure if Iranian drones, especially export variants, use GPS navigation ? Yes there is terrain recognition software but it's inaccurate in desert terrain. Perhaps Iranian drones use Russian or Chinese GPS ?

He is not. His twitter and website has exploded due to his coverage of the second Karabagh war where he gained a reputation of being a reliable source for equipment losses due to the fact he based it all on officially released drone footage and other visual media mostly on the ground. Every single lost equipment he could back up with evidence, thus he is much more familiar with Turkish drones. Iranian drones on the other hand have a much smaller frame of reference, so it makes sense to be skeptical of their capabilities especially its FLIR which is notoriously lacking using only first gen LWIR technology not to mention its small size and low performing IR sensors and FOV capabilities. The size alone should be a big red flag. The FLIR issue has been brought up MULTIPLE times before here so its not like its new, its the most important part of the drone after all. Even Turkey who's has been HEAVELY investing into FLIR technology for nearly 2 decades only made them competitive relatively recently(we are talking about both latest Gen SWIP, LWIR, QWIP and MWIR detector alongside Cryogenically cooled technology), which resulted in export success. Also we don't need to hire some blogger to make our drones look good, its reputation and global export success speaks for itself. Since then he has done this with multiple other conflicts such as in Afghanistan, Yemen, Libya, Syria, Iraq and etc.
TB2 is nothing special. 20 were shot down in Libya in a short period. The Turks merely saturate the airspace with them, that's all.

Some NATO countries like Poland or NATO allies like Ukraine have bought them because they are cheaper than US drones and they can't buy Iranian or Chinese or Russian.

In any case even in Syria 5 TB2s were shot down in a week or two. In Libya Pantsirs alone shot down 20 so imagine a well rounded air defense network.

There are many "western experts", but its suspicious that only Orxy beats the TB-2 drum so hard, ins't it?
Of all experts, only he has realized what a miracle TB-2 is?

Alone this is enough to close the case.

Last edited:
Well, me think that there is not only FLIR, but also SWIR and EO in the pot. Me assume that FLIR is used to detect enemies behind optical barriers, e.g. they are in a wooden house or under camouflage. But me think (i dont know for sure, correct me if i am wrong) even the best FLIR cant messure the warmth of enemies behind a thicker concrete wall. So FLIR will be used to see if an engine of a car was used in the last 10 minutes or if there is a electricity generator in this barn or if there is fogg on the ground as an optical barrier or alike and for that the Mohajer-6 FLIR sure is good enough. All other night scenarios SWIR will be used. So for me it is a kind of "self-facepalming" to say Mohajer-6 is not worth the money cause of the FLIR.

I will make it simple this time because we have had this discussion 10 years ago:

- Iran is the inventor of UCAV in 1980’s. This is the only military contribution of Muslim countries in 500 years. Respect that. We own the idea. :)

- There are many references of precise drone attacks by Houthis against Saudi targets. Saudi targets are well defended by US technology. Libya or Armenia are not in the same league. Prove your missile and drone technology against arrays of patriot, ThAAD and Aegis and not one Pantsir!

- The most important part of FLIR is the image intensifier and per Turkish sources they import it from US. Many Bayrakdar parts are imported and currently even sanctioned.

AC8E466D-E73B-48F8-9C4B-C3EBED557CF3.png

We own the UCAV idea. Pay respect.

Last edited:
Iranian drones struck one of the most well defended sites in the region if not the entire world, Abqaiq, Aramco in Saudi Arabia. It was defended by half a dozen Patriot batteries, including the latest variant Pac3.

Iranian drones evaded Patriot batteries and hit their targets will pin point precision.

Turkish drones, all they do is saturate the airspace to overwhelm enemy defended with sheer numbers. 20 were shot down in Libya by Pantsirs alone, which is a short range Sam btw, not as effective as Patriot.

Screenshot_20211120_192132_com.android.chrome.jpg

I will make it simple this time because we have had this discussion 10 years ago:

- Iran is the inventor of UCAV in 1980’s. This is the only military contribution of Muslim countries in 500 years. Respect that. We own the idea. :)

- There are many references of precise drone attacks by Houthis against Saudi targets. Saudi targets are well defended by US technology. Libya or Armenia are not in the same league. Prove your missile and drone technology against arrays of patriot, ThAAD and Aegis and not one Pantsir!

- The most important part of FLIR is the image intensifier and per Turkish sources they import it from US. Many Bayrakdar parts are imported and currently even sanctioned.

View attachment 795553

We own the UCAV idea. Pay respect.

I know that I'm replying to my own post but this is an after thought.

If anyone thinks that the Turkish drones purchased by Ukraine are going to be a threat to Russia, that's laughable.

20 were shot down in Libya by EXPORT variant Pantsirs with inexperiences operators.

Imagine a world class, well rounded air defense system like the Russians have. Those Turkish drones will be chewed up for breakfast.

If Ukrainians believe that they can regain Crimea or eastern Ukraine with those drones they're delusional. It's laughable.

Iranian drones struck one of the most well defended sites in the region if not the entire world, Abqaiq, Aramco in Saudi Arabia. It was defended by half a dozen Patriot batteries, including the latest variant Pac3.

Iranian drones evaded Patriot batteries and hit their targets will pin point precision.

Turkish drones, all they do is saturate the airspace to overwhelm enemy defended with sheer numbers. 20 were shot down in Libya by Pantsirs alone, which is a short range Sam btw, not as effective as Patriot.

View attachment 795556

I don't understand, why they use a flying wing drone for cloud seeding, specially in harsh weather, don't they have any more stable platform!?

I don't understand, why they use a flying wing drone for cloud seeding, specially in harsh weather, don't they have any more stable platform!?

That uav even don't have a significant payload

That uav even don't have a significant payload
That's another point, my only guess is that they want to examine it's flight characteristic and limitations in real world scenarios.

well the governor said the drone was airborne for 2 or 3 days waiting for perfect condition I don't think any other small drone has that flight endorsement except IRGC flying wing drones, so it could be that they pushed the range of the drone to its absolute limit to successfully complete the mission.

Back
Top Bottom