What's new

Iranian UAVs | News and Discussions

According to this video, the Russians are using Tupolev-22M and flanker variant jets to launch Geran-2/Shahed-136 drones into the battlefield in Ukraine. Not sure how accurate this is.

the question is why ?

range ? that's what the video claims. It kind of makes sense, instead of launching a missile, you launch a loitering munition that can loiter and potentially hit multiple targets ?

Recent Lancet strike in Ukraine

range, that thing have enough range to go to Poland and come back , what additional range they want , just think how much it cost Russia to fly one of those strategic bomber while they need only a truck and a not even 100$ launch booster .
I believe those Tupolev airplanes are used to launch cruise missiles not drones

Heres an awesome shot of a sahed 123 launching.
media%2FFh8o_exX0AEx5_0.jpg

A good shot of the recesses used to carry the small and medium sized sadid glide bombs
media%2FFh8o_elXkAAkYws.jpg

The ukranians look to be taking their own leaf out of the iranian drone playbook.
In this case simple,cheap easily produced and modified drones using a mixture of easily sourced local and foreign cots,that despite their seemingly simple lo-tech design,can often inflict a surprising degree of damage.
These remind me very much of the sort of drones that we saw the yemenis,palestinians,iraqi pmus,hezbollah,etc develop themselves based on modifications or even complete redesigns/reworking of iranian supplied originals.
I especially like the very simple way that they`ve done the rear annular tail fins on the small "bombs" that the drones are carrying.Basically they`ve just cut out some sections of the tube that makes up the body of the bomb,tho I do have some doubts about how effective it might actually be aerodynamically when it comes to the weapons stability.

Last edited:
The ukranians look to be taking their own leaf out of the iranian drone playbook.
In this case simple,cheap easily produced and modified drones using a mixture of easily sourced local and foreign cots,that despite their seemingly simple lo-tech design,can often inflict a surprising degree of damage.
These remind me very much of the sort of drones that we saw the yemenis,palestinians,iraqi pmus,hezbollah,etc develop themselves based on modifications or even complete redesigns/reworking of iranian supplied originals.
I especially like the very simple way that they`ve done the rear annular tail fins on the small "bombs" that the drones are carrying.Basically they`ve just cut out some sections of the tube that makes up the body of the bomb,tho I do have some doubts about how effective it would actually be aerodynamically.

Weapons developed from a pure utility standpoint with cost efficiency and passable combat performance in mind will dominate a significant portion of present and future military planning.

It’s clear that expensive Western made weapons philosophy has SEVERE draw backs when the enemy can field similar weapons but at a much cheaper cost.

I especially like the very simple way that they`ve done the rear annular tail fins on the small "bombs" that the drones are carrying.Basically they`ve just cut out some sections of the tube that makes up the body of the bomb,tho I do have some doubts about how effective it would actually be aerodynamically.
I remember reading about how ISIS nearly halted the Iraqi offensives against them precisely by using cheap drones that they armed with small explosives. They were doing a shit ton of damage with them, and if it weren't international support for the Iraqi forces, ISIS may have ended up winning.

There's a very good reason why defense companies are now developing cheap weapons-capable drones. Pakistan ordinance factories has developed the Ababeel MR-5 and MR-10 precisely because they saw how devastating they are against a conventional army.
maxresdefault.jpg

Which leads me to my next question. Considering Iran's drone development capabilities, is Iran developing such a drone? Does it see the benefits? Or is it deemed to be not worth the development costs?

I remember reading about how ISIS nearly halted the Iraqi offensives against them precisely by using cheap drones that they armed with small explosives. They were doing a shit ton of damage with them, and if it weren't international support for the Iraqi forces, ISIS may have ended up winning.

There's a very good reason why defense companies are now developing cheap weapons-capable drones. Pakistan ordinance factories has developed the Ababeel MR-5 and MR-10 precisely because they saw how devastating they are against a conventional army.View attachment 901755

Which leads me to my next question. Considering Iran's drone development capabilities, is Iran developing such a drone? Does it see the benefits? Or is it deemed to be not worth the development costs?
Iran already manufactures this kind of drone

There's a very good reason why defense companies are now developing cheap weapons-capable drones. Pakistan ordinance factories has developed the Ababeel MR-5 and MR-10 precisely because they saw how devastating they are against a conventional army.View attachment 901755

Yes,you`re quite right.I remember isis using small commercial quad copter type drones to drop 30/40mm grenades fitted with shuttlecock bodies[!!] for stability.
I can remember not long after that seeing a video of an iranian hexa-copter type dropping 60mm cluster bomblets
DUJFxxEU8AABQA5.jpg

Heres another pic of it plus another vtol bomber type,the bombs look to be either cluster bomblets or small mortar bombs.
3105942.jpg

Iran produced a whole lot of quad and larger hexa-copter type drones,you can find pics of these at https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2019/09/the-oryx-handbook-of-iranian-drones.html
Generally tho`,the armed versions of these sorts of drones were usually seen more often with iranian aligned groups like the iraqi pmu and the houthis,carrying weapons ranging from the usual 30/40mm type grenades as well as small mortar bombs.
https://www.reddit.com/r/syriancivilwar/comments/6b152y/iraqi_pmu_tdmp_weapons_development_mimics_isis/

Iran already manufactures this kind of drone
I think we were the first who concluded this type of drones are good for delivering parcels , the only difference was our parcel was not grenade or mortar but lifebuy
this is the video from 7 years ago on Aparat when they showed the final product

then two year later an Spanish startup stole the idea and built a prototype and right now if you do a google search probably you think that Spanish company is the one who first used the quadcopter for such roles

Last edited:
Weapons developed from a pure utility standpoint with cost efficiency and passable combat performance in mind will dominate a significant portion of present and future military planning.

It’s clear that expensive Western made weapons philosophy has SEVERE draw backs when the enemy can field similar weapons but at a much cheaper cost.
That's right. Just to point out the Cold War East also tried to counter the West’s technology by cheap mass production. However, they fell short since they simply countered Western equivalents with cheap multiples (planes vs many planes).

Iran OTOH, did the same but ASSYMETRICALLY. Eg planes vs drones, missiles, etc. This will be very difficult to counter given the West's built-in high costs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom