What's new

Iranian Navy | News and Discussions

One could imagine it operating mil-38s as transports,with ka-52s or mil-28s as attack helos and mil-35s as heavy gunships

If these are only intended in being used for the PG region, I can see the possibility of a Ka-52 or Mi-35 to support amphibious operations in PG islands. These helicopters would be backed by a whole fleet of Catamarans with active Air defense.

Scenario;

Instability in Iran, give UAE the opportunity to seize Abu Musa Island. Iran after stabalizing needs to retain control of the island.

Overarching AD map;

0b3da7feee9722b4fef2e6384e8b5fbc.png
a45c49823c3c81141b205ae56edecc7f.png

A fleet of Catamarans approach near the island with 45km AD missiles and CIWS. Protected by an umbrella of surface based S-300PMU's, and Bavar-373 with 200km range Sayyad-4 SAMs. Sufficient coverage for amphibious operations on the Island backed by Ka-52's and Small boats deployed from the Catamarans.

If these are only intended in being used for the PG region, I can see the possibility of a Ka-52 or Mi-35 to support amphibious operations in PG islands. These helicopters would be backed by a whole fleet of Catamarans with active Air defense.

Scenario;

Instability in Iran, give UAE the opportunity to seize Abu Musa Island --<CLIP!>
Wut. UAE taking active military action against Iran? They'll be droned and missile struck out of existence. What on earth are you talking about. There's is no country in the region that can strike Iran without paying a disproportionate price in response. It pains me to even write this sentence.

The only thing I can see, for adding a Helicopter pad to this class ship is they have future plans to add Newer Russian naval helicopters to their fleet, and want their platforms to accommodate them. You can acquire helicopters at anytime, but building a new ship takes alot of time.

What is this new Catamaran? Never seen this before. Where did you get this image from?

Edit: Found it.

Impressed at the pace of developments here.

These ships usually operate in a fleet, so their would be accompanying surface vessel with active Air defense.
Well then. There's one good rationale for Iran's design choice 'you can see'. So all is not lost... 😆

Wut. UAE taking active military action against Iran? They'll be droned and missile struck out of existence. What on earth are you talking about. There's is no country in the region that can strike Iran without paying a disproportionate price in response. It pains me to even write this sentence.
So I guess when the IRGC runs drills specifically mentioning the island defence and re-conquest they were doing it just for fun right?

Do you not understand what military excersices are for? It pains me that you don't understand this, amphibious drills have been run on these islands for years.

It's called scenario making, something Iranian armed forces do every year, whether regarding Azerbaijan, Kurdistan, or the PG region. Real-life like scenarios are designed, and military operations are formulated & and only a small few are launched and practiced.

Literally Iran just ran a drill about re-conquering the Islands a few weeks ago. Wtf are YOU talking about? Did you think they are practicing invading the shore of California? Or Abu Musa?

Last edited:
Actually two years ago Iran for the first time changed its defence strategy regarding southern Persian Gulf from "defensive" to "offensive" posture...they were very public about it also..in a nutshell they let it be known that in case of an attack from the south Iranian action will not just be to defend herself but Iran will retaliate by offensive action and that only means attempting to occupy the land from the source of the attack...last week they rehearsed such offensive scenario for a second time..and also they did the same change of plan with Baku republic situation...offensive will be the name of the game for Iran.

A rail launched S-129 or M-5 or RQ-170 variant can do do much better work and firepower than these ancient MI or Bell helicopters that any opposing navy would easily spot on radar.
rail launched ? those are 10-20m drones

Actually two years ago Iran for the first time changed its defence strategy regarding southern Persian Gulf from "defensive" to "offensive" posture...they were very public about it also..in a nutshell they let it be known that in case of an attack from the south Iranian action will not just be to defend herself but Iran will retaliate by offensive action and that only means attempting to occupy the land from the source of the attack...last week they rehearsed such offensive scenario for a second time..and also they did the same change of plan with Baku republic situation...offensive will be the name of the game for Iran.
This is true, in any case they would need supporting Catamarans, alot of them to provide air defense cover and protect logistical ships.

So I guess when the IRGC runs drills specifically mentioning the island defence and re-conquest they were doing it just for fun right?

Do you not understand what military excersices are for? It pains me that you don't understand this, amphibious drills have been run on these islands for years.

It's called scenario making, something Iranian armed forces do every year, whether regarding Azerbaijan, Kurdistan, or the PG region. Real-life like scenarios are designed, and military operations are formulated & and only a small few are launched and practiced.

Literally Iran just ran a drill about re-conquering the Islands a few weeks ago. Wtf are YOU talking about? Did you think they are practicing invading the shore of California? Or Abu Musa?

Oh hush. just stop it while you’re…barely scraping by. 😀

there are certain island in Persian Gulf that don't belong to Iran and controlling them give Iran certain advantages , they maybe are training for capturing them in case of war, they overlook certain cities or give iran complete control over shipping lanes in persian gulf , if they were controlled by Iran

there are certain island in Persian Gulf that don't belong to Iran and controlling them give Iran certain advantages , they maybe are training for capturing them in case of war, they overlook certain cities or give iran complete control over shipping lanes in persian gulf , if they were controlled by Iran
That makes sense. There is absolutely no rationale for a peanut sized state to attack Iran. None of the drills are geared to that. Believing otherwise reveals a less than cursory knowledge of the environment---if at all;

That makes sense. There is absolutely no rationale for a peanut sized state to attack Iran. None of the drills are geared to that. Believing otherwise reveals a less than cursory knowledge of the environment---if at all;
I don't disagree such an attack would be foolish, but these scenarios have to be considered, and I know for a fact Iran has simulated capture and re-capture of islands.

We have hardened trenches in these Islands, protected by SHORAD, with ATGMs and other infantry and anti-armor weapons. The deployment of these systems on these islands are for no other reason than to repel a attempted landing. Even the most foolish and unexpected decisions of the opponent must be considered.

Helipad provides for such capabilities as:

1. Search and rescue
2. Anti-submarine warfare
3. Anti-ship warfare
4. Close air support
5. Troop transportation
6. Cargo transportation
7. Reconnaissance and surveillance
And much more by both helicopters or drones

So it's not just for decor 🤔
Agreed. VERTREP missions and even special ops. Even you can use flight deck for any modular weapon system, like Shahed launcher.

So if i understand

"If it happens" scenarios:

-Azerbaijan Republic attack Iran or let hostile entities use their airspace and land to attack Iran = Iran will not just retaliate defensively by throwing missiles and UAVs, but also try to advance toward Baku and occupy the positions where the attacks came from

-UAE attack Iran or UAE gives their land and airspace for hostiles to attack Iran = Iran will not just retaliate defensively but proceed to conquer UAE Islands and take the most land as possible as an offensive+defensive action?

Same goes for Bahrein and little states surrounding Iran i suppose, but it looks more of a full scale war scenario there
Finally it makes a lot of sense, Iran isn't doing that kind of drills on the shore and amphibious assaults for nothing, and the conquest of islands and the defensive + offensive response makes sense and that's a pretty great idea since a lot of Iran neighbors are tiny and weak states with islands surrounding them

-Azerbaijan Republic attack Iran or let hostile entities use their airspace and land to attack Iran = Iran will not just retaliate defensively by throwing missiles and UAVs, but also try to advance toward Baku and occupy the positions where the attacks came from
in that case I don't think Iran go toward Baku as its not something that Russia will like much, but probably go toward Nakhichevan , that is a lot easier for Iran and secure Iran Armenia border . as for proper Azerbaijan area probably some drones and missile .
but honestly I believe if Azerbaijan don't knew consequence of such move , Turkiye is well aware of its consequence and make sure Azerbaijan don't do such things

about Persian gulf well UAE is well aware that their prosperity lie in the peace and stability in their country also the claim on our Islands in Persian gulf belong to Sharjah not Abu Dhabi or Raas-al-Kheymeh and as much they like intervention of foreigner and war with Iran , Sharjah prefer the current situation there and that Iran and Sharjah share the oil around the Abu-Musa so its not gonna happen but there is another country south of Persian gulf that have a lot island and don't have UAE concerns

So if i understand

"If it happens" scenarios:

-UAE attack Iran or UAE gives their land and airspace for hostiles to attack Iran = Iran will not just retaliate defensively but proceed to conquer UAE Islands and take the most land as possible as an offensive+defensive action?

Same goes for Bahrein and little states surrounding Iran i suppose, but it looks more of a full scale war scenario there

Finally it makes a lot of sense, Iran isn't doing that kind of drills on the shore and amphibious assaults for nothing, and the conquest of islands and the defensive + offensive response makes sense and that's a pretty great idea since a lot of Iran neighbors are tiny and weak states with islands surrounding them
Correct..the Change of position was reiterated last week again by the chief of the armed forces publicly..

So if you are small and take a chance on harming Iran be warned that your gamble bears consequence of premanent kind!!...

Last edited:
in that case I don't think Iran go toward Baku as its not something that Russia will like much, but probably go toward Nakhichevan , that is a lot easier for Iran and secure Iran Armenia border . as for proper Azerbaijan area probably some drones and missile .
but honestly I believe if Azerbaijan don't knew consequence of such move , Turkiye is well aware of its consequence and make sure Azerbaijan don't do such things
As long as Nakhichevan is a card on the table, Baku should not be much of a concern. A single brigade would be sufficient.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom