What's new

Iranian Navy | News and Discussions

Interesting article. I agree it is crucial for Iran to develop a strong conventional navy to maintain sea liberty of movements and protecting SLOCs. Iran must be independent of any country to operate, safeguarding their naval commerce. I would prefer a indigenous version of Type 054A+ for IRIN, but reluctance from China and necessity from Russia can allow a improved design of Grigorovich/Talwar. Investing in the Talaiyeh and further improvements of Moudge and Sahand will help in nationalize most of the project. Hope IRIN can boost their naval assets!

Russian ship design is not as modern as China or Western counterparts. Iran has already shown very modern mock ups for destroyers and Solemani class is a modern design in itself.

The area Russia can really help Iran in is propulsion and heavy submarine design/engine such as possibly nuclear reactor subs. Although I doubt Russia would supply such propulsion systems to Iran even in this changed era of relations

All three are separate classes or three vessels within the same class?
more like two class of ships (Shahid Abu-Mahdi and Shahid Soleimani) class of ships and one single ship Shahid Nazari(there won't be another ship like it its more like IRGC test on how catamarans operate and testing their potential , its not even really armed and there is only some machine guns)

more like two class of ships (Shahid Abu-Mahdi and Shahid Soleimani) class of ships and one single ship Shahid Nazari(there won't be another ship like it its more like IRGC test on how catamarans operate and testing their potential , its not even really armed and there is only some machine guns)
Why build two platforms on such similar principles and displacement in different classes?

They actually did use the Shahid Nazari in combat, with the US Navy no less

Why build two platforms on such similar principles and displacement in different classes?
The size is different
And Abu Mahdi seems not to have defensive c ability of Shahid suleymani.

They actually did use the Shahid Nazari in combat, with the US Navy no less
Not really they put the ship in front of the USA obviously far more cap capable cruiser and told them we are capturing those ships. If you dare do any thing or fire a single bullet while at the same time target USA ship from shore with according to irgc with 100 anti ship missile
Irgc categorized the ship as commanding ship not combat ship

Last edited:
indicated by the arrow there is another ship

Fkhx7-Er-XEAoihqm-4.jpg

it should be a modified version of the Nasser class
Nasser-class_vessel.jpg

Very good news. Damavand 2 could be a new standard, and after two or three ships, jump into another bigger warship with turbine gas. One of the big issues of Moudge class it is disparity of equipment and systems. IRIN needs to standarize propulsions, sensors and weapons to make easier training of officers and sailors. It is very promising to see some hints of standarization.

On the other hand I can see at the right three Kaman/Sina class (or two?). You can see at least three of them in service in Bandar e Jask, three of them in Bandar Abbas and another three at least in Busherh. Being difficult to distinguish, the most promissing feature it is their common sensors and weapons.

Hope Taftan can be outfit faster than Talaiyeh and be an exact copy of Damavand 2. Great news for the IRIN!.

Very good news. Damavand 2 could be a new standard, and after two or three ships, jump into another bigger warship with turbine gas. One of the big issues of Moudge class it is disparity of equipment and systems. IRIN needs to standarize propulsions, sensors and weapons to make easier training of officers and sailors. It is very promising to see some hints of standarization.

On the other hand I can see at the right three Kaman/Sina class (or two?). You can see at least three of them in service in Bandar e Jask, three of them in Bandar Abbas and another three at least in Busherh. Being difficult to distinguish, the most promissing feature it is their common sensors and weapons.

Hope Taftan can be outfit faster than Talaiyeh and be an exact copy of Damavand 2. Great news for the IRIN!.
no new standard all the remaining Moudge class ships are being built , and i'm sure theyh will be different from from each other as there are newer things to be incorporated , hope in Taftan they manage to put VLS that is used in shahid Soleymani in it after that . we have new design and that probably be the new standard

I doubt Iran will return to building more Mowdge ships. They are expensive (even being built by Iran) and carry few armaments/firepower to protect themselves. Outdated ship design from the 60’s.

It is time to take what they learned and translate it into heavier ships that can survive in battle and provide adequate protection to other ships.

Back
Top Bottom