What's new

Iranian Navy | News and Discussions

Why is Iran not buying frigates from Russia/China since arms embargo is over?

lol, there's a litany of reasons as to why bro.

- Money
- Political reasons (this is the most important one)
- Technical reasons
- Time
- Economic reasons (possible sanctions imposed for transfer of advanced weaponry to Iran)

I suspect Iran is indeed trying to secure deals for big-ticket items from Russian Federation or even China but there are impasses causing these deals simply not to go through at all. The weapons Iran needs are simply too costly (geopolitically) for either Russia or more importantly, China to provide. Regional relationships between the Russian Federation and the Chinese state with the countries around Iran will be severely strained if they start to inject the Iranian military with advanced conventional weapons that would further tip the balance scale toward I.R.I.

Iranian military as it stands right now already commands a very lethal overmatch against all regional states in the realm of theatre ballistic weaponry. If on the off chance IRIAF or IRI Navy gets outfitted with a completely modern air-force/Naval fleet (including game changing BVR weapons, AWACS, combat vessels, etc), then Iran becomes without a shadow of a doubt the strongest nation in the Middle-East and it's not even close at that point.

- Potent domestic AD, as well as production
- Capable Modern AF provided by Russia or China
- Incredibly lethal Missile Fleet that is increasing year by year
- Massive domestic Drone production, as well as fielding

Essentially if any deal is signed for Su-35s/30s or advanced Chinese fighter-jets, surface vessels. Then a strategic decision would have been taken by the provider as to their position on Iran in Middle East.

Last edited:
Essentially if any deal is signed for Su-35s/30s or advanced Chinese fighter-jets, surface vessels. Then a strategic decision would have been taken by the provider as to their position on Iran in Middle East.

Looking at the U/R war and the pressure from "the West" towards China, the chances for such a transfer increases day by day.

Looking at the U/R war and the pressure from "the West" towards China, the chances for such a transfer increases day by day.

One can only hope that this is indeed the case. But arming Iran with such weapons might be a bridge too far for them even given current global circumstances.

Fair weather friends at best my dear Ich.

Last edited:
I don't think that Iran needs Russian or Chinese ships, Iranian shipbuilding has reached technical maturity and must continue in the wake of autarchy and achieve standardization in achieving what is needed.
Perhaps, at the moment, Iran lacks a dual-purpose VLS to use both anti-aircraft and anti-ship systems and mainly a medium-caliber (127mm or 130mm) naval gun to arm future large destroyers, a weapon that could be made in Iran. having one available.
just as an example, the Oto Melara 127/54 was indicated as an extrapolation increased by 76/62 and therefore could be an option, an option that could be implemented if it were possible to have one available to be studied by the Iranian technicians, a possibility that could be possible thanks to Venezuela, since currently their shipyard is in the final phase of scrapping of their LUPO class frigate, the F-26 Almirante Garcia, from which both the Oto Melara 127/54 turret and the carousel below the system have been saved ammunition loading and, given the excellent relations of friendship and military collaboration between Iran and Venezuela, it could be an option to have the possibility of bringing it to Iran and from this create an Iranian version.
276140128-706254880825400-628174238831566316-n4.jpg

Istantanea-2022-04-07-00-24-56.png

Istantanea-2022-04-07-00-22-38.png

Why Iran does not buy..xxx from yyy country!!!:undecided:

Why should Iran buy anything from any foreign country . Are we lacking brain power!!! Do we have to make jobs for foreign shipyard workers...

For the cost of a single foreign warship ($1 billion dollars what saudis pay per ship!)..Iran can produce 10 ships...and a new shipyard and 10 years of employment for many shipyard workers, steel workers etc.....

Good reasons to build inside rather than to buy outside..if you ask me..:azn::azn:

Omani Vessel Rescued by Iranian Naval Forces

The crew of an Omani launch that had been stranded in the North of the Sea of Oman and off the strategic Makran coast due to a technical defect were rescued by an Iranian Navy's fleet of warships, the Iranian Navy’s Public Relations Department said.

The vessel was in trouble in international waters when the Iranian naval team patrolling in international waters around the coastal zone received a distress call and was dispatched to the area, it added.

The Iranian naval team rescued the launch and its crew members.
Given the severe damage that the Omani vessel's propulsion system had sustained, an Iranian Navy’s tugboat towed the ship to Makran coast, and handed it over to Iranian coastal guards.

The development came only a few days after Iranian naval forces prevented pirates from hijacking one of the country’s merchant ships sailing in the Gulf of Aden.

I tried to improve the photo
FTB3-HPLVEAAUGV.jpg

I did a search to figure out which commercial ship they used, I searched the Iranian flag ship register and I think I found which ship could be used.
I think it is the Sarvin imo IMO 9209348 (or a naval unit of the same model), here I am attaching the photo when the name was Dandle (2012) as it is photographed +/- from the same side.
pay attention to the stern of the ship, to the command superstructure, to the two cranes next to the chimney (chimney and crane are identical it seems to the ship being modified).

showphoto.aspx

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ai...0758/mmsi:422031800/imo:9209348/vessel:SARVIN
here some features
Flag Iran
Gross tonnage 36014 tons
Deadweight 41971 tons
Length 240.2 m
Breadth 32.2 m
Engine type MAN-B & W
Engine power 29800 KW
Year of build 2000

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts