What's new

Iranian Navy | News and Discussions

0506270610e.jpeg

It looks like these are still being built albeit likely only in small numbers,interestingly it looks like they`ve deleted the external torpedo launchers in this version.
I think they streamlined it for more stealth features. Interesting thing in the video stated that anything under a meter above the surface of the water in the Persian Gulf is invisible to radar and this craft is truly optimised to operate in that environment. Also, I think the design was still being tested and this final version is more recent.

Always inherent to a type of engines to equip a future heavy destroyer with a displacement of 6000 tons
To avoid future surprises the best choice is to make the motors in Iran, either with a foreign license or an Iranian patent
The ideal would be a CODOG system, with diesel for economic speed and gas turbines for maximum speeds, all on two axles and relative propellers.
O CODLAD COmbined Diesel-eLectric And Diesel
However, it will not be easy to find or build gas turbines for naval uses, and CODLAD is also not easy to build.
So you could (I hope you don't throw stones at me) opt for a CODAD system like on the Sahand 74, with diesel engines of about 5000 hp each (preferably made in Iran), but to reach a speed approaching 30 knots not 4 engines are sufficient, therefore, considering the dimensions and spaces that the new destroyer will have, one could opt to double the number of engines (8) which would thus provide about 40000 hp of power, each pair of engines connected to its own gearbox on one of the 4 propeller shafts.
Certainly not easy to build and with a more elaborate hull to accommodate 4 axles and related propellers, however it could be a solution, provided that as written above, motors and gearboxes are made in Iran.
PS
just to play with the images
129ffdbb974fe099a50c96d8cd38ebaeo.jpg

Last edited:
Always inherent to a type of engines to equip a future heavy destroyer with a displacement of 6000 tons
To avoid future surprises the best choice is to make the motors in Iran, either with a foreign license or an Iranian patent
The ideal would be a CODOG system, with diesel for economic speed and gas turbines for maximum speeds, all on two axles and relative propellers.
However, it will not be easy to find or build gas turbines for naval uses, and CODLAD is also not easy to build.
So you could (I hope you don't throw stones at me) opt for a CODAD system like on the Sahand 74, with diesel engines of about 5000 hp each (preferably made in Iran), but to reach a speed approaching 30 knots not 4 engines are sufficient, therefore, considering the dimensions and spaces that the new destroyer will have, one could opt to double the number of engines (8) which would thus provide about 40000 hp of power, each pair of engines connected to its own gearbox on one of the 4 propeller shafts.
Certainly not easy to build and with a more elaborate hull to accommodate 4 axles and related propellers, however it could be a solution, provided that as written above, motors and gearboxes are made in Iran.
PS

A small Nuclear reactor would be more preferred if Iran lacks access to engine tech. Less space needed to store fuel and it could power most of the ships other activities thus increasing range significantly and opening up space that would be stored for fuel and reserves.

I think Iran began research on Naval reactors sometime around 2008-2010, so by 2030 I would expect a prototype. Future Iranian cruisers should be nuclear powered if possible.

Im not sure how advanced Iran is in the naval engine/turbine field for what you suggested or how long that timetable would take versus pouring more funding into nuclear naval reactors.

Not to mention the demand this creates as a naval reactor could then be used in future Iranian aircraft/UAV/helicopter carriers as well as future Iranian heavy subs.

Iran should also begin pouring more funding for fusion reactors as beyond 2050 it will like dominate the world. Fission is becoming old tech at this point. Several interesting companies popping up in the field of fusion.

PS
Don’t you think a MAPNA gas turbine can be used in a electric dual system? Basically the turbine is connected to a generator which powers the electric motor that runs the propeller shaft! To me this is the most “simple” design and Iran has all technological enablers to do such a system.

Here is a summary of what we have so far. Electric/brushless and diesel and also the MAPNA gas turbine engine (under production).

Don’t you think a MAPNA gas turbine can be used in a electric dual system? Basically the turbine is connected to a generator which powers the electric motor that runs the propeller shaft! To me this is the most “simple” design and Iran has all technological enablers to do such a system.
Turbine-electric system

Type_45_Power_Distribution.jpg

Turbine-electric system, it is interesting and feasible, but the realization can always give problems, for example the Great Britain with the Type-45 have had many problems with this system.
However, we must always remember that gas turbines are able to give a lot of power, but it is equally true that they also consume a lot of fuel.
I remain of the idea that the method of small steps is still the best and that the Iranian Navy will probably follow this practice, i.e. the operational experience gained with the evolution of the engine installed in the new frigates and the decades-long knowledge with that of the class Alvand.
Or at least it will do so with the first realizations of heavy destroyers which will have to be the backbone of the future ocean fleet and which will have to have an engine that gives safety of use.

PS
I think a better option than the 8 diesels with their associated undesirable large penalties of weight and complexity,not to mention all the extra space required if one goes for a mechanical shaft drive arraignment rather than an electric drive,would be to look at marinising one of mapnas gas turbine sets,something like the mgt-30 would be an excellent choice with its 25mw+ output.
Another option would be marinising locomotive diesel electric generator sets for naval use.
Personally I think that combined diesel and gas electric is the way of the future for warships.
I think that one of the biggest impediments to the future development of the navy and its blue water fleet is the extreme conservativeness on the part of avy when it comes to warship design and also its fixation upon the big items such as hulls while neglecting the equally important ancillary systems that are going to go into and on that hull,ie the failure to develop a credible naval sam system or even a much simpler ciws before these ships went into service,ideally these systems would`ve been designed,built and tested in parallel with the construction of the rest of the ship.
Unfortunately this is not something thats unique just to the navy as the iriaf has even worse tendencies in that reguard,ie the f5 reverse engineering program and its seeming fixation upon producing a virtual copy of a 1960s wvr light fighter rather than a heavily reengineered and fully modernised bvr capable light fighter which iran could certainly do with and would be a huge force multiplier.
Sadly one gets the feeling that all of the branches of the regular military have these exact same tendencies to a greater or lesser degree.

I never said Iran should have never built the Jamaran ship as it's 1st frigate. My comment is about the continuation of the Jamaran class not the ship.
well when Iran Navy built Moudge Frigate they planned for a certain amount its not like you abandon certain ships when new ship design are prepared . this class of ships serve a purpose . when you built bigger ships they serve another purpose.

and we still don't have propulsion for bigger ships

For that MAPNA must build a smaller turbine
right now they offer these Gas turbine
MGT-30
1584123192caba6e7feb.jpg

MGT-40
1584123187cc5d8bd45a.jpg

MGT-70
1584123186604874af98.jpg

MGT-80
15841231864ed6969568.jpg

the only possible candidates are modifying MGT 40 and MGT-30
MGT-30
MGT-40
those turbine must be modified first to be able to be useful for ships

Last edited:
For that MAPNA must build a smaller turbine
right now they offer these Gas turbine
MGT-30
1584123192caba6e7feb.jpg

MGT-40
1584123187cc5d8bd45a.jpg

MGT-70
1584123186604874af98.jpg

MGT-80
15841231864ed6969568.jpg

the only possible candidates are modifying MGT 40 and MGT-30
MGT-30
MGT-40
those turbine must be modified first to be able to be useful for ships
Do U know if these MGT series are German (siemens) designs or Iranian design..I assume all components are now built in Iran.

I think a better option than the 8 diesels with their associated undesirable large penalties of weight and complexity,not to mention all the extra space required if one goes for a mechanical shaft drive arraignment rather than an electric drive,would be to look at marinising one of mapnas gas turbine sets,something like the mgt-30 would be an excellent choice with its 25mw+ output.
Another option would be marinising locomotive diesel electric generator sets for naval use.
Personally I think that combined diesel and gas electric is the way of the future for warships.
I think that one of the biggest impediments to the future development of the navy and its blue water fleet is the extreme conservativeness on the part of avy when it comes to warship design and also its fixation upon the big items such as hulls while neglecting the equally important ancillary systems that are going to go into and on that hull,ie the failure to develop a credible naval sam system or even a much simpler ciws before these ships went into service,ideally these systems would`ve been designed,built and tested in parallel with the construction of the rest of the ship.
..... .

As I wrote the best choice would be a CODAG, turbines for top speed and diesel for economy speed, but also electric propulsion, gas turbine generator, or electric-motor diesel generator would be a great choice.
But for both of them you have to master the technology perfectly.
It is not easy to naval gas turbines, very few nations have developed these capabilities, ditto for electric propulsion.
Therefore my hypothesis of 8 diesel engines was only a low risk choice, since in the CODAD version with 4 diesel engines it has already been tested on at least the SAHAND 74, a possible choice, if the others are not viable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom