What's new

Iranian military engine development news and updates

The issue here is two fold

1) Paranoia of air forces leading coup attempts

2) IRGC domination of Iran’s government (next president could be IRGC alumni) and military funds

IRGC while having made tremendous progress also has its faults. Most don’t like to admit that Solemani had a love affair with human wave tactics and martyrdom.... indeed one can look at ISIS battles in Iraq as evidence.

IRGC also did not view air power as necessary even in a conflict like Syria. However, after being pushed against the wall (terrorists were threatening to invade alawite strongholds) Solemani and IRGC brass agreed on Russian air power. Indeed the results swayed opinion in IRGC so much they set up their own Air Force and work on a CAS aircraft. Now I don’t know what point the project is at now.

But here is my point, until IRGC embraces air warfare and the importance of it then Air Force will remain stagnant.

A swarm of supersonic high altitude unmanned mini stealth bombers (think RQ-170 x 5 in size) can do the job of 100+ missiles. And a true interceptor can take the load off the domestic AD network during war.

IRGC old guard needs to accept this reality. The world cannot be conquered by arrows(missiles) alone. Even the Persian empire realized that fact (a little too late).

Some very good points, indeed. Iranians I hope one day learn that UNITY is the definition of a "country". They have to work together, and MUST know WHY they have to work together. The IIAF attempting to bomb the Khomeini residence was a VERY BAD idea, It has affected the IRIAF ever since.

That led to years later, when Doran was constantly harassed by the mullah "supervisory" air war planners who don't know the difference between a turbine blade and a toilet seat. Doran never should have been inside that cockpit, having to give his life after his rear bailed out of the F4-E - he was a strategist, and a damn good one according to 1998 declassified U.S. Air Force intelligence documents. Actually he was trained in U.S. and they thought very highly of him, even then, a tough guy ready to fist fight anyone that picks on other Iranian trainee pilots in U.S. Doran was one of those people that come around once a generation, and totally different kind of a person than Ali-e-Agha and Zandi. These men understood air force, and they were not as political as Jahanbani or khatami. They were (as we say in aviation industry) the engine core, not the FADEC. For those that are not familiar with FADEC, it is like a control computer systems device that is the kind of engine operation management system, the first kind-of decent one was tested/produced repeatedly for (Adour) BAE Hawk, (not to be confused with mission planning and engine management computer that is FBW connected and integrated with the avionics). Sorry, I try not to talk technical babble too much. But had to clarify why that expression exists.

How do you get these men back in Iran? This is why I suggest Iran needs a "good enough" 21 century fighter jet (even if it has a AL21 engine) as long as these pilots are getting the training they need and build up their confidence, an aviation industry that constantly tweaking, improving, adding, and expanding features and adaptations and hence capabilities.

If this forum ever gets Farzad's documents, or the (I would guess 200+) interviews by Tom, then it would quickly become obvious how much Iran lost, in these amazing heroes.

Iranians WILL HAVE TO LEARN SOONER OR LATER, to work together, and not eat their own.

Don't get mad at me for saying this ..... look at many of the individuals that are members here in this forum. Amazing individuals (at least to me), with huge amount of passion for Iran, and very knowledgeable in their own area of expertise. And some arguments that are not even worth reading, why would anyone argue points that are childish and not even worth discussing, things being debated that are irrelevant and insignificant, has no point other than to serve one's EGO and elevate oneself for what? What does it serve? Why not ignore the little things and think bigger and bring us all together and support one another. Look at Koreans in U.S.? Irish in U.S.? Italians in U.S.? Even Vietnamese have learned the lesson. However, Iranians in LA spend their entire day bashing Iran, some Iranians here in U.S. get money from state dept just to bash Iran and Iranians who present a different perspective (e.g. Trita Parsi).

Instead of learning from one another, elevating one another, supporting one another. Why are we here in PK run forum ??? Why not have a very successful well-funded and well organized Iranian forum that is very popular? Iranians have been some of the greatest visionaries before, why not now? Why The Shah's son came to U.S. based in Washington D.C (capital city of politics and lobbying) has never done a single worthwhile thing for 40+ years, even though they had about $220m in controlled assets here in U.S.? They lost 4 pieces of properties each worth about $20+ million. His advisors and himself were so incompetent they could not even call the brokers in NY and tell them to sell PANAM stocks when it was crashing. Now he kisses the hands of MBS for financial support, after Israelis decided that they will not waste any more money on his incompetence. Israelis want results not a useless imbecilic. He should have been at least someone equal to John Ghazvinian in the level of thinking, or speaking, with an articulate command of English, heck no. He cries in public when he talks about political strategy. He has no understanding how Western politicians think of a cry baby. Iranians need to adapt their culture to guide them (and their kids) to help, support, elevate each other - and make each other better, not allow someone like (example of course) shah's son go on for 40+ years without an iota of personal development or intellectual growth.

In fact, truth be told, Jews took a very long time to learn the same, about 2400 years. Let's hope Iranians learn much sooner than that, and that they must elevate each other and that unity is the real strength of the country. Whatever anyone may think of the Shah (and I am not a fan for his stupidity and utter ignorance for a leader that pretends that he is smarter than everyone else while he was NOT a visionary and had NO crystal clarity of thinking, and not a deep thinker whatsoever), during the Shah's era (for lots of reasons of course) Iran did not have this many enemies INSIDE. Of course you can argue that MEK started 1968 and MONAFEGHEEN-e-khalgh started 1969, they started killing American military servicemen in 1970s (and others)just before and after the 2,500-year celebrations in Takteh Jamsheed, both because Savak was breaking into their homes and throwing their fathers off the balcony.

Still today, there are so many Iranians that are against the current regime which doesn't even deserve half the things it is being accused of, or blamed for. Everything Iran did after the bombings in Iranians cities 1980-1988+, U.S. did (and a lot worst) after 911.

A significant (however small) portion of Iranians are partisan against their own interests, for short term small gains and instant gratification.

IRIAF and IRGC must mend just like the IRIN and IRGC have mended and resolved their issues.

Iran NEEDS a domestically designed/produced gas turbine engine to allow it to have a domestically manufactured/supported competent fighter jet, even if it is a strategic fighter jet (e.g. F-16XL or F-14D) and NOT an all-purpose (e.g. F-4E or F-16). In my humble opinion.

Last edited:
@EvilWesteners it's nice reading your posts over the last few pages, quite interesting from a technical standpoint.

Though I'm curious why you think copying the AL-21 or even R35 (who knows if they're in any state to be copied after sitting in abandoned MiGs for decades) is worth Iran's limited funds and expenses. I don't think it's wise to spend resources to re-engine F-4s that really need to be retired. I think if Iran is to develop resources to developing a military engine it should be a turbofan. J85 was an exception as it was for the Kowsar which will probably replace the F-5 as Iran's "workhorse" combat/trainer in the foreseeable future. Though I hope it gets better armament. But either way it was a medium-long term project not a short-range project like putting a new engine in ancient F-4s.

If R35's performance is as good as you say it is though it would be worthwhile to use it for the F-14 which I think Iran should keep operational in the medium-long term. Amazing if it has better fuel consumption and thrust than a turbofan. Is that with or without AB?

I saw that article but for the fuel consumption kg.N^-1.h^-1 means nothing to me o_O

I think it means kg per hour at max thrust. So if there is 84 kn thrust, then it is ~7900 kg fuel per hour. With after burner at 127 kn it is ~ 25100 kg fuel per hour.

Edit: Me think that is to much fuel consumption. Maybe if the max round per minute is lower and the temp is higher (e.g. nano ceramics at blades ect. ), then this engine would have better thrust by lower consumtion.

@EvilWesteners it's nice reading your posts over the last few pages, quite interesting from a technical standpoint.

Though I'm curious why you think copying the AL-21 or even R35 (who knows if they're in any state to be copied after sitting in abandoned MiGs for decades) is worth Iran's limited funds and expenses. I don't think it's wise to spend resources to re-engine F-4s that really need to be retired. I think if Iran is to develop resources to developing a military engine it should be a turbofan. J85 was an exception as it was for the Kowsar which will probably replace the F-5 as Iran's "workhorse" combat/trainer in the foreseeable future. Though I hope it gets better armament. But either way it was a medium-long term project not a short-range project like putting a new engine in ancient F-4s.

If R35's performance is as good as you say it is though it would be worthwhile to use it for the F-14 which I think Iran should keep operational in the medium-long term. Amazing if it has better fuel consumption and thrust than a turbofan. Is that with or without AB?

Thank you Amir jan.

If I miscommunicated the R35 fuel consumption being lower or even close to equal to a turbofan, or wrote the post that suggested as such, then I apologies. It absolutely IS NOT anywhere near. It is much higher in fuel consumption. In fact it is about 10%+ higher than AL21.

To me I have no emotional attachments to any fighter jets or even engines. But I look at things from a perspective of practicality, functionality, effectiveness. deterrence, usability, and reliability.

Iran knows F4-E very well. They had problems with the wings, and in a matter of 6 days, redesigned and re-enforced the bottom of the wings, so quickly it was awe inspiring. Iranian engineers added refueling to Mig29, in a very short time. If Iran manufactures a brand new F4-E to a standard of F4- super phantom with engines that produce thrust like AL21, advanced avionics and radar systems with a FLIR, then it will be a significant game changer. I don't consider how old F4-E is or was and what other major short comings of it and its design has. It will be a worthy adversary that cannot be ignored and demands military planning reaction and re-planning.

I think the F-14 upgrade would be much better for lots of different reasons of course (internal fuel capacity, external fuel capacity, weapons hardpoints, angle of attack, etc.). However Iran needs a competent reliable air force fighter jet that is regarded as significant in today's potential air combat, in particular, "war time air combat", = many on many, air combat.

Again, I don't look at the "aircraft" itself. I think of practicality, how quickly Iran can have the aircraft manufactured and operating, how much does it help IRIAF pilots, how much does it affect adversaries war planning and resource allocation and logistics cost, how much does it increase IRIAF functionality, what is the level of reliability of the air craft, what is the COST, COST, COST ... cost dictates quantities, and quantity dictates number of sorties per day, and it hugely affects the way adversaries plan around how they see Iran's military strengths.

RAF commander regarding war with Libya once said to us in 1989 (a bunch of us sitting in the corner of the factory, and I never forget this) ... and I quote, "... there comes a time when we have to look at Libya and say to ourselves, THIS IS NO LONGER INTERESTING, since the planning and logistics tells us that the politician in Downing Street is talking out of her ARSE". Arse is British slang for buttcrack.

.... no longer interesting.

That is how I look at fighter jets. Not whether it is new or old. An air force that deters is an affective air force.

Iran's ballistic missile force, DETERS. That is why Robert Baer says, Iran is a superpower in the middle east.

I don't care about old or newly DESIGNED aircrafts, or stealth or not. A competent, reliable, functional, fighter jet that elevates Iran's air force for years to come, that offers deterrence and functionality in actual real war. That is what Iran needs for the next 10 years. Turbofan, turbojet, high consumption, low consumption, blah blah blah. Iran needs a competent, reliable, functional, fighter jet as quickly as it can. Ideally as fast as possible. It needs large quantities of them so they can cover the entire air space and alleviate pressure on ground based air defense systems, protect cities and important installations and military bases, and fuel and weapons depots. Who cares that it is not a long range fighter jet, as long as Iran has plenty of them covering essential areas of the country.

U.S. air force has a division that monitors every aircraft from Satellites or otherwise (if they can), to see how many aircrafts Iran would have available for a 30 day air campaign (that is how they present things to decision makers). This is why Iran has a covering for its aircraft serial number, when they display an aircraft, especially front line aircrafts. I don't care if Iran has 500 brand new F5-Es with a bolt-on fuel tank on top, carrying 2 Fakour 90 missiles, with removed guns from the front and replaced with long range PESA radar, a FLIR on the side, and strengthened landing gear that tucks inside a form factor fuel tank, instead of side launched. If U.S. knew Iran has such an aircraft, 500 of them, new body structure, new engines, they would have to calculate how many sorties it would take, how many missiles, what logistics, personnel, etc. etc. This would seriously affect their calculations. Same with Israel.

Right now they are riding high because they see IRIAF destruction, not as a strategic gain, but a psychological gain. The know how to chip away at a country, patiently.

Iran needs to build new fighter jets, at least to a certain logical standard of air warfare, and demonstrate that it doesn't help to attack IRIAF, for practicality or for psy op.

The UNITY is also important. When Iranians poured into streets after the killing of Soleimani, U.S. was very worried. You have to ask yourself why they hated the fact that many Iranians were pouring into the streets? They were really concerned and were wondering what that was going to end up as. They were so relieved when Iran mistakenly shot down its own airliner.

My own opinion of course.

Thank you for your kind words. Have a wonderful day my friend.

Last edited:
I like @EvilWesteners have advocated for AL-21 as the basis for all Iranian engines. It is a great engine and better for more fighters and Iran already has it in it’s SU-22’s so cannabalizing 1-2 airframes can give it hands on knowledge.

Yes it’s not as powerful as AL-31 or AL-41, but it can form the basis for 1st gen Iranian engine.

RD-33, J-79 to me are a waste of time.

With the introduction of Jahesh-700, it does appear that we are going in this direction. Heavier drones, although Iran is not one to put all eggs in its basket, i.e. opts for low cost, high volume doctrine, the need for more effective in every sense of the word combat drones is going to be needed in the future as advanced nations move away from manned aircraft.

Aside from payload, one can even imagine drone swarm stored in the bomb bay as a possible future variant. I agree with you, CAS aircraft with save so many Iranian lives.

J-700 cannot be the bases of high supersonic Iranian unmanned bomber. It’s too slow.

What Iran needs is a Mach 2-3+ Bomber that can fly pre programmed routes using passive radar to determine enemy radar locations (think F-117 avoidance systems). At Mach 3+ it can enter Saudi territory and destroy key installations and be gone before high altitude interceptors (THAAD) can reach it. It forces the enemy to use its limited interceptors on BOTH air threat and missile threat thus reducing efficiency in both.

This is 1960’s D-21 unmanned US surveillance UAV using a single ramjet engine

1621444766878.jpeg

stats:
  • Maximum speed: Mach 3.35 (2,300 mph; 3,600 km/h; 2,000 kn) (conversions estimated at the service ceiling altitude)
  • Service ceiling: 95,000 ft (29,000 m)
  • Range: 3,000 nmi (3,500 mi; 5,600 km)

Surely Iran can build a larger equivalent in 2021 that can carry PGMs in an internal payload. This drone would be capable of striking as far as Israel and back as well as flying deep into the Indian Ocean where US warships will be stationed during war.

Thank you Amir jan.

If I miscommunicated the R35 fuel consumption being lower or even close to equal to a turbofan, or wrote the post that suggested as such, then I apologies. It absolutely IS NOT anywhere near. It is much higher in fuel consumption. In fact it is about 10%+ higher than AL21.

To me I have no emotional attachments to any fighter jets or even engines. But I look at things from a perspective of practicality, functionality, effectiveness. deterrence, usability, and reliability.

Iran knows F4-E very well. They had problems with the wings, and in a matter of 6 days, redesigned and re-enforced the bottom of the wings, so quickly it was awe inspiring. Iranian engineers added refueling to Mig29, in a very short time. If Iran manufactures a brand new F4-E to a standard of F4- super phantom with engines that produce thrust like AL21, advanced avionics and radar systems with a FLIR, then it will be a significant game changer. I don't consider how old F4-E is or was and what other major short comings of it and its design has. It will be a worthy adversary that cannot be ignored and demands military planning reaction and re-planning.

I think the F-14 upgrade would be much better for lots of different reasons of course (internal fuel capacity, external fuel capacity, weapons hardpoints, angle of attack, etc.). However Iran needs a competent reliable air force fighter jet that is regarded as significant in today's potential air combat, in particular, "war time air combat", = many on many, air combat.

Again, I don't look at the "aircraft" itself. I think of practicality, how quickly Iran can have the aircraft manufactured and operating, how much does it help IRIAF pilots, how much does it affect adversaries war planning and resource allocation and logistics cost, how much does it increase IRIAF functionality, what is the level of reliability of the air craft, what is the COST, COST, COST ... cost dictates quantities, and quantity dictates number of sorties per day, and it hugely affects the way adversaries plan around how they see Iran's military strengths.

RAF commander regarding war with Libya once said to us in 1989 (a bunch of us sitting in the corner of the factory, and I never forget this) ... and I quote, "... there comes a time when we have to look at Libya and say to ourselves, THIS IS NO LONGER INTERESTING, since the planning and logistics tells us that the politician in Downing Street is talking out of her ARSE". Arse is British slang for buttcrack.

.... no longer interesting.

That is how I look at fighter jets. Not whether it is new or old. An air force that deters is an affective air force.

Iran's ballistic missile force, DETERS. That is why Robert Baer says, Iran is a superpower in the middle east.

I don't care about old or newly DESIGNED aircrafts, or stealth or not. A competent, reliable, functional, fighter jet that elevates Iran's air force for years to come, that offers deterrence and functionality in actual real war. That is what Iran needs for the next 10 years. Turbofan, turbojet, high consumption, low consumption, blah blah blah. Iran needs a competent, reliable, functional, fighter jet as quickly as it can. Ideally as fast as possible. It needs large quantities of them so they can cover the entire air space and alleviate pressure on ground based air defense systems, protect cities and important installations and military bases, and fuel and weapons depots. Who cares that it is not a long range fighter jet, as long as Iran has plenty of them covering essential areas of the country.

U.S. air force has a division that monitors every aircraft from Satellites or otherwise (if they can), to see how many aircrafts Iran would have available for a 30 day air campaign (that is how they present things to decision makers). This is why Iran has a covering for its aircraft serial number, when they display an aircraft, especially front line aircrafts. I don't care if Iran has 500 brand new F5-Es with a bolt-on fuel tank on top, carrying 2 Fakour 90 missiles, with removed guns from the front and replaced with long range PESA radar, a FLIR on the side, and strengthened landing gear that tucks inside a form factor fuel tank, instead of side launched. If U.S. knew Iran has such an aircraft, 500 of them, new body structure, new engines, they would have to calculate how many sorties it would take, how many missiles, what logistics, personnel, etc. etc. This would seriously affect their calculations. Same with Israel.

Right now they are riding high because they see IRIAF destruction, not as a strategic gain, but a psychological gain. The know how to chip away at a country, patiently.

Iran needs to build new fighter jets, at least to a certain logical standard of air warfare, and demonstrate that it doesn't help to attack IRIAF, for practicality or for psy op.

The UNITY is also important. When Iranians poured into streets after the killing of Soleimani, U.S. was very worried. You have to ask yourself why they hated that many Iranians pouring into the streets? What are they going to do? They were so relieved when Iran mistakenly shot down its own airliner.

My own opinion of course.

Thank you for your kind words. Have a wonderful day my friend.

The F-4s are (and have been since even before the revolution) bomb trucks. Even the current upgrades are aimed at improving their anti-shipping and navigation capabilities. I don't think Iran intends to build a super phantom air superiority fighter. Even upgraded with the best Iranian tech, they would have inherent limitations (such as mission avionics and radars) that would fall prey to F-15s and Typhoons of the region.

If there are any platforms in Iran worth spending on, it's the F-14 and MiG-29. If they make all those aircraft operational and upgrade them to the highest degree that you mentioned, you have ~80 modern (if old in terms of airframes) fighter interceptors. Enough for a stopgap defensive force. I personally don't have much faith in Iran's aviation industry and see its long term future comprised of Russian or Chinese aircraft.

The F-4s are (and have been since even before the revolution) bomb trucks. Even the current upgrades are aimed at improving their anti-shipping and navigation capabilities. I don't think Iran intends to build a super phantom air superiority fighter. Even upgraded with the best Iranian tech, they would have inherent limitations (such as mission avionics and radars) that would fall prey to F-15s and Typhoons of the region.

If there are any platforms in Iran worth spending on, it's the F-14 and MiG-29. If they make all those aircraft operational and upgrade them to the highest degree that you mentioned, you have ~80 modern (if old in terms of airframes) fighter interceptors. Enough for a stopgap defensive force. I personally don't have much faith in Iran's aviation industry and see its long term future comprised of Russian or Chinese aircraft.

Iran has what it needs to build a better F4-E. The Brits had a dozen different upgrade paths (and were testing them regularly) for F-4D/F4-E. In fact the Brits put a turbofan in their F4s. Then they tested ( was there at the time) chopping off the tail, adding a stabilizer in the front. put about 142 different designs through wind tunnel, and learned from all of that, which (in a minor way), eventually led to Eurofighter.

Again, Iran needs a domestically developed "good enough" fighter jet.

I like Mig 29, but I rather have a single engine Mig 35 with a 30,000lb trust engine, instead of 2 x RD-33.

It would be cheaper, lighter, better max take off weight, better aerodynamics, more external weapons bays, etc. etc..

But again, TIME IS OF ESSENCE. Iran needs "locks on the doors of the house, covering all the windows, before it can bring in the furniture". Hint, hint.

Thanks Amir jan.

Some very good points, indeed. Iranians I hope one day learn that UNITY is the definition of a "country". They have to work together, and MUST know WHY they have to work together. The IIAF attempting to bomb the Khomeini residence was a VERY BAD idea, It has affected the IRIAF ever since.

That led to years later, when Doran was constantly harassed by the mullah "supervisory" air war planners who don't know the difference between a turbine blade and a toilet seat. Doran never should have been inside that cockpit, ...
Only people who don't live in Iran and have no actual connection to Iran's military talk about possible coups, or assess army's situation based on that.

Mullahs don't plan in our air force, they don't work or plan in our R&D, they don't run our economy or industry (unfortunately!). specialists, mostly educated in west specially US are in charge (unfortunately!), your imaginations about Iran are far from reality.

Doran's last mission, was his personal idea even before being tasked with it, the type of martyrdom was also something which he had long thought about it, it wasn't a spontaneous or desperate decision.

This just proves my point.

The Iranian wunderwaffe (wonder weapon) of a supersonic high altitude larger flying wing bomber is being held up by lack of engine.

Right now RQ-170 1:1 class subsonic is the best Iran can do and in limited supply due to the brand new engine being new tech.

Only people who don't live in Iran and have no actual connection to Iran's military talk about possible coups, or assess army's situation based on that.

Mullahs don't plan in our air force, they don't work or plan in our R&D, they don't run our economy or industry (unfortunately!). specialists, mostly educated in west specially US are in charge (unfortunately!), your imaginations about Iran are far from reality.

Doran's last mission, was his personal idea even before being tasked with it, the type of martyrdom was also something which he had long thought about it, it wasn't a spontaneous or desperate decision.

Mohens jan you may very well be correct, I have no way to prove a hearsay from other individuals.

You are also very correct in assuming that I have not lived in Iran since prior to revolution.

But to assure you that I do NOT simply talk out of my @$$ purposelessly, I want to explain where I got this information from. Here's some background.

I was young in Bamdad School (middle school) in Tehran and won a scholarship due to a military test that I took (my familly members - not the same last name as myself - were 2 individuals in Artesh and General Rahimi - not the one that was executed). My scholarship at the young age allowed me to go to a famous (cannot mention it here) military school in England, paid for by the previous regime in Iran. When they collapsed, and could not pay that high fee, I was accepted in Hatfield Aeronautics School (now the name has changed to Hertfordshire) to finish my studies until I was 18. Later I went to university in UK and obtained 3 degrees. My family were all based in CA. and I was there a lot too, until I was 18. I stayed in UK for quite a while until I got a very good and cushy job offer in Seattle, with crazy money of course. Who could turn that down.

The above gave me access to many people that I met over the years and went to school with. Many ex Iranians being trained in the West to return to Iran after their training.

General Rahimi was in charge of Semnan military planning group, prior in charge of logistics, runway construction, supplies, food storage for war planning, etc. His kids (all 3 of them, older than me, were already in military training schools all over the world).

Most of my family members, and brothers: trained Bell 214C pilots, Navy officer trained first in Pakistan and later in Italy, and others which I cannot mention specific area, were training in the West.

Regarding Doran:

At one point in 1990s I was invited by a family friend who was in UK with me many years earlier, to go visit him in Austria. At the time I was working in Toulouse France on a project, and visiting family members at a German gas turbine engine factory. I use to drive there all the time, when I was in France. So my family members and I drove from Germany to Austria and met up with many friends, old and new.

There at a Mozart recognition evening in a spectacular restaurant (I can only describe it like a cave from 1,000 years ago), I met 2 writers who were interviewing many Iranian and Iraqi air force pilots for their book about the Iran-Iraq war.

For the remaining 2 days that I was in Austria before driving back, I met up with one of the authors and we talked a lot. I learned so much from him regarding family members in Iran during the Shah which I had never met, who died in the war. He was in Iran AF intelligence and had changed his name, obviously.

That is where I got the information about Doran and what happened, and Zandi, before his car accident, and many others. These two authors were very detail oriented and unlike some Iranians who are just gossip masters. They had detailed evidence and names, and times, dates, etc.

In fact, Max Blumenthal had met them when he was young and he was with his father (Sidney Blumenthal was an amazing individual, that's another story on its own).

So, I just wanted to assure you, I don't spread dumb gossip for pointless discussion, and I have had military connections since I was a kid.

If you knew how many funerals I have attended for Iranian military heads who died and are buried in CA, and other parts of West, you would understand where my information comes from. To protect some family members who work in the West in sensitive areas, I have to respect their wishes and not divulge information which may possibly, one in a million, expose them, or create any difficulties for them. Cause everyone is listening, with GREAT DEAL OF PREJUDICE.

Thank you for your comment, and I appreciate your opinion Mohsen jan.

Last edited:
Mohens jan you may very well be correct, I have no way to prove a hearsay from other individuals.

You are also very correct in assuming that I have not lived in Iran since prior to revolution.

But to assure you that I do NOT simply talk out of my @$$ purposelessly, I want to explain where I got this information from. Here's some background.

I was young in Bamdad School (middle school) in Tehran and won a scholarship due to a military test that I took (my familly members - not the same last name as myself - were 2 individuals in Artesh and General Rahimi - not the one that was executed). My scholarship at the young age allowed me to go to a famous (cannot mention it here) military school in England, paid for by the previous regime in Iran. When they collapsed, and could not pay that high fee, I was accepted in Hatfield Aeronautics School (now the name has changed to Hertfordshire) to finish my studies until I was 18. Later I went to university in UK and obtained 3 degrees. My family were all based in CA. and I was there a lot too, until I was 18. I stayed in UK for quite a while until I got a very good and cushy job offer in Seattle, with crazy money of course. Who could turn that down.

The above gave me access to many people that I met over the years and went to school with. Many ex Iranians being trained in the West to return to Iran after their training.

General Rahimi was in charge of Semnan military planning group, prior in charge of logistics, runway construction, supplies, food storage for war planning, etc. His kids (all 3 of them, older than me, were already in military training schools all over the world).

Most of my family members, and brothers: trained Bell 214C pilots, Navy officer trained first in Pakistan and later in Italy, and others which I cannot mention specific area, were training in the West.

Regarding Doran:

At one point in 1990s I was invited by a family friend who was in UK with me many years earlier, to go visit him in Austria. At the time I was working in Toulouse France on a project, and visiting family members at a German gas turbine engine factory. I use to drive there all the time, when I was in France. So my family members and I drove from Germany to Austria and met up with many friends, old and new.

There at a Mozart recognition evening in a spectacular restaurant (I can only describe it like a cave from 1,000 years ago), I met 2 writers who were interviewing many Iranian and Iraqi air force pilots for their book about the Iran-Iraq war.

For the remaining 2 days that I was in Austria before driving back, I met up with one of the authors and we talked a lot. I learned so much from him regarding family members in Iran during the Shah which I had never met, who died in the war. He was in Iran AF intelligence and had changed his name, obviously.

That is where I got the information about Doran and what happened, and Zandi, before his car accident, and many others. These two authors were very detail oriented and unlike some Iranians who are just gossip masters. They had detailed evidence and names, and times, dates, etc.

In fact, Max Blumenthal had met them when he was young and he was with his father (Sidney Blumenthal was an amazing individual, that's another story on its own).

So, I just wanted to assure you, I don't spread dumb gossip for pointless discussion, and I have had military connections since I was a kid.

If you knew how many funerals I have attended for Iranian military heads who died and are buried in CA, and other parts of West, you would understand where my information comes from. To protect some family members who work in the West in sensitive areas, I have to respect their wishes and not divulge information which may possibly, one in a million, expose them, or create any difficulties for them. Cause everyone is listening, with GREAT DEAL OF PREJUDICE.

Thank you for your comment, and I appreciate your opinion Mohsen jan.
Class act!

Back
Top Bottom