What's new

Iranian Ground Forces | News and Equipment

Final tests of a simplified version of the Karrar tank, first shown in 2017, have passed in Iran. The tank was created by the Bani Hashem company on the basis of the Russian T-72S; it also uses the technical solutions of the T-90MS tank, which Iran previously wanted to buy, but could not for a number of reasons, as well as some design solutions of the American Abrams tanks. The Karrar tank has a laser range finder and an electro-optical fire control system. Despite the apparent similarity with Russian tanks, it has a different design of commander's panoramas and remote-controlled machine gun installations. Another tower and explosive reactive armor units. The Karrar tank can also be equipped with laser and radar irradiation warning sensors. The tank is equipped with a 125 mm smoothbore gun capable of firing anti-tank missiles. The tank can be equipped with a remote-controlled combat module with a 7.62 mm machine gun. The tank uses a carousel-type automatic loader. Tank weight 51 tons, crew 3 people, estimated engine power 1000 hp.

what engine and transmission used?

This is Karrar “cheap” version. Not the IRGC version. Basically zero active counter measures, no remote gun, and less advanced features than most modern MBTs.

Decent cheap solution for long distance warfare, but would not survive well in urban conflict or against an enemy with ATGM IFVs like Bradley’s.Remember most of Iraqi army tanks got picked off by Bradley’s rather than Abrams.

I don’t “hate” it because there are much more urgent priorities for Iran’s armed forces than having an advanced tank for a land invasion that has a 1/100 chance of happening.

For mechanized armour, Iran needs a modern IFV and a modern troop transport vehicle. But these can wait for another day.
Does the $4 million Merkava IV survive well in urban warfare?!

3971994.jpg

3971994.jpg
I cant help but notice that the israeli cope cages worked little better than their russian counterparts.....🤔
And I had such high hopes too,oh well. 😏

3971994.jpg

Those tanks aren’t damaged. More Baghdad Bob posts.

The intelligence of this board drops day by day. Thanks to individuals who post fake news and propaganda.

Do some basic research next time: the picture was released by IDF themselves

The intelligence of this board drops day by day. Thanks to individuals who post fake news and propaganda.

They look combat worn with some visible damage here and there but it's a shame many believe that these are “destroyed” when they clearly are not.

I don’t believe the original main point of the tweet was ostensible damage but why they seem abandoned. That’s an equally interesting line of thought.

Iranian forces are the most experienced combat unit in middle east , they been rotating in and out of Syria , learning to counter western ISR and western armed ISIS and along with hezbollah commandos they both are the most potent warriors in the region. Professional and Morale too compared to the cruel and immoral IDF whose combat experience only from harrasing and bullying unarmed ppl in checkpoints.

@TheImmortal

I figure you might have an opinion on this. Key points: The box says the production date was 2020 -> Lot 109. One can infer theirs a substantial amount of production going on for the Almas.

View attachment 1019310View attachment 1019311

25 missiles / per batch (minimum) x 109 batches = 2,725+ Almas missiles produced as of 2020 ...

Almas was only displayed publicly in 2021, by then 5,000-10,000+ may already have been produced!

@TheImmortal

I figure you might have an opinion on this. Key points: The box says the production date was 2020 -> Lot 109. One can infer theirs a substantial amount of production going on for the Almas.

View attachment 1019310View attachment 1019311

India bought 8000+ missiles spike from Israel to put it in perspective.

I’m not a fan of inferring production rates from the boxes. Too easy to manipulate or cause psycho ops. Like trying to tell how many checks I wrote from a check book. If you assume I started at 0001, but what if I started at 1001 or 101 or 11.

The lack of Almas use by HZ, points to a higher cost. Hasn’t spread to proxy groups yet. A box in 2022 or 2023 can tell us if production rates after slowed after the initial batches in 2020/2021.

It’s not unreasonable to assume Iran built 10,000 (or whatever the magic number is) for its own stockpile then stopped building more.

When it comes to anti tank missiles you don’t typically build an infinite supply. Supply has to be stored. Storage has costs and space is limited.

Nonetheless always good to see that there was some adoption and it wasn’t another unveiled weapon that never gets mass produced.

That picture is symbolic, otherwise there are enough videos proving uselessness of the most expensive tanks in urban warfare.

25 missiles / per batch (minimum) x 109 batches = 2,725+ Almas missiles produced as of 2020 ...

Almas was only displayed publicly in 2021, by then 5,000-10,000+ may already have been produced!
Yeah. Although, their could be some possible exaggerations because the SN can just start from 20 or 10 or whatever number they want. We would need more samples to get a clearer picture. Still pleased to see mass production and adapotion. Probably around 700mm RHA penetration on top. Which is quite solid.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom