What's new

Iranian Ground Forces | News and Equipment

View attachment 675005

Is that an Iranian equivalent to the RPG-30?

RPG-30:

View attachment 675004

The RPG-30, like the RPG-27, is a man-portable, disposable anti-tank rocket launcher with a single shot capacity. Unlike the RPG-27 however, there is a smaller diameter precursor round in a side tube, in addition to the main round in the main tube. The precursor round is fired shortly before the main round and acts as a decoy, tricking the target's active protection system (APS) into engaging it. The APS is not ready to engage again until 0.2–0.4 seconds later, allowing the main round time to hit the target
smart

Seized from arrested criminals and delinquents:

2778945_709.jpg

After watching the photos of various personal weapons made by Iran I am proud but perplexed!...with all the variety of high end "soldier gear" that Iran is producing ( e.g....personal weapons, protection vests, helmets, radios , night vision equipment ..etc)... why is it that still in every ground forces maneuvers we see WWII helmets , wooden Kalashnikov machine guns and non standard uniforms with all types of camouflage patterns...When you see a photo of an average Iranian conscript (I am not talking about Special forces)..all you see is a soldier who is equipped with bare minimum gear holding weapons and helmets that belong to an insurgent group rather than a mighty army. It is a disgrace for the ground forces of an industrially advanced country such as Iran not have her conscripts equipped with modern gear. A soldier's uniform and gear is the first item that catches the eye and Iran fails so miserably on that front.

After watching the photos of various personal weapons made by Iran I am proud but perplexed!...with all the variety of high end "soldier gear" that Iran is producing ( e.g....personal weapons, protection vests, helmets, radios , night vision equipment ..etc)... why is it that still in every ground forces maneuvers we see WWII helmets , wooden Kalashnikov machine guns and non standard uniforms with all types of camouflage patterns...When you see a photo of an average Iranian conscript (I am not talking about Special forces)..all you see is a soldier who is equipped with bare minimum gear holding weapons and helmets that belong to an insurgent group rather than a mighty army. It is a disgrace for the ground forces of an industrially advanced country such as Iran not have her conscripts equipped with modern gear. A soldier's uniform and gear is the first item that catches the eye and Iran fails so miserably on that front.

Because it cost money to equip soldiers with advanced body armour, communications devices, body armour for vital organs, etc.

Go look at the budget of the armed forces (artesh).

Add in a “martyrdom” mentality that shuns body armour found in both the IRGC and Artesh and you can see that even the troops themselves don’t like using body armour (not all).

In that region it can get boiling hot, especially during summer operations, so some soldiers prefer speed over the body armor, however it's a bad habit since it can save lives.

Iran doesn't equip it's conscripts nearly as well as it's professional units, but hopefully that will change with time.

Because it cost money to equip soldiers with advanced body armour, communications devices, body armour for vital organs, etc.

Go look at the budget of the armed forces (artesh).

Add in a “martyrdom” mentality that shuns body armour found in both the IRGC and Artesh and you can see that even the troops themselves don’t like using body armour (not all).

excellent...Can not get over how far Iran has come in military industry...
I give you a story...look at those various versions of Tophan (TOW) Anti armor missile on display...40 years ago before the revolution all that we could do with US made TOWs was to receive them from the field, repair and calibrate their launchers in a repair and calibration facility in Shiraz. The facility was set up by Hughes aircraft and was paid for by Iran. We had many Iranian engineers graduated from all around the world working there. We were not allowed to make anything.....just repair and calibrate...We used to get damaged Tow launchers coming from OMAN (those years years Iranian military was fighting in Oman to keep the sultan in place)..I must say I never thought one day Iran will be making these missiles and their launchers improve them (tophan 1 to 5)..and mass produce them..How they did it is beyond me, but it is done and Qudos to the engineers and techs that did this. I wonder if they reverse engineer the "Dragon" shoulder fire ATGM also I have a story on that also.
By the way years laters I heard that shiraz facility was bombed by the Iraqis so what ever is done would be after that..Tow Helicopter (tows launched from Cobras was also repaired and calibrated there and now of course they have Iranian helo borne ATGMs on the cobras ...just a bit of history for the young studs in this forum to know how far Iran has moved in 40 years under sanction.
tophan.png

What do you guys think of a new structure for the Armed Forces?
After seeing the new/upgraded stuff and I had some free time, I did a quick brain storming.

Iranian Army Restructuring (Only if it's not possible to get the new stuff because of sanctions/fear of the others)

10 regular Divisions with 5 Brigades per Divison (+ 1 seperate “trainings division” for training recruits)
Light Brigade
Medium Brigade
Heavy Brigade

All Divisions are only one type, not Infantry, Mechanized or Armored Division anymore and every Division should have the same Brigades attached to it.
Every Division has it's own Long Range AD-network and Ballistic Missile Support and an own Helicopter-Brigade attached to it.
So, you would have, if we go maximum 25k Personal pro Division, 250.000 PROFESSIONAL Soldiers.
Yes I know, isn't so cool to have less Soldiers but better quality is, to a certain point, always better than quantity.

If somebody is good with ill equipped masses of religious zealots, no problem with that but think on ordinary men who aren't THAAAT much into religious stuff and don't want to become a martyr because he/his unit has no good equipment. :D
Accepting death in war is one thing but better to come back and live your life when it's possible.
Let's be honest here Americans and Iranians will NEVER face each other to the point where you have big conventional battles where M1A2C will fight with Karrar MBTs. But proxy wars like in Syria. So, Iran needs to stay focused on their asymetric fighting style capabilites, drone power, ballistic missiles and anti-air.

BUT Irans regular forces are in dire need for better equipment and with MUCH EASIER logistic chain.
I can understand that you have de facto 2 forces with their sub branches. Army and Guards and if Artesh is equipped with (modernized) G3, MG3 variants I see no problem there.
Same with IRGC, AK-103, (modernized RPD) Sa'aban-1, PKM etc.
Then one uses 7.62x51mm, other use 7.62x39mm and 7.62x54mmR.

*1 Division = 3 Light Brigades, 1 Medium Brigade, 1 Heavy Brigade
The meaning and purpose of the new brigade combat group system is independent combat that is completely independent of the main division.
*Maybe only "Light" (Wheeled) and "Heavy" (Tracked) would be better imo ...
The Air Force provides the typical air support.
In addition to the divisional artillery and various replacement / logistics units, each division also has a **helicopter brigade. (Mix of Helis/Drones ... and the strong BM...)
**Sadly, in the case of Iran, not really possible. :D

Infantry Weapons (SpecOps etc.):
Star Model Z84
MP5K
MP5A3
Masaf Rifle (HK 416 Clone)
PKM Commando

Artesh (Regular Army, correct name?) (I will sometimes use original names of the weapons):
PC-9 ZOAF
HK53
G3A3
G3A3 with UBGL
G3A3 DMR with Ghadir-4 (3-12x optic)
MG3
RPG-7 (DIO)
RPG-29 "Ghadir"
Taher
Steyr HS .50/Sayyad

IRGC:
KL-103 (AK-103) (Always with Optics...)
KL-103 (AK-103) with UBGL
Sa'aban-1
PKM
PKM Commando
RPG-7 (DIO)
RPG-29 "Ghadir"
Sniper Rifle(s) of your choice

Heavy Support Weapons:
W85 HMG (Replace all DShKM)
Nasir AGL
AMIG SPG-9
M40 RCL (Vehicle mounted)
Toophan Series
Dehlavie (Vehicle mounted)
HM 14 60mm Mortar
HM 15 81mm Mortar
HM 16 120mm Mortar
Razm 120mm Mortar (Vehicle mounted)
Vafa 160mm Mortar (Vehicle mounted)
2B9M Vasilek but in 81mm version (Vehicle mounted)
Fajr 1 107mm MRL
155mm HM 41

Light (Wheeled):
Aras-2 4x4 (W85/ Nasir AGL/SPG-9/M40/107MRL/ATGM/Heavier Rockets etc.)
Raad MRAP 6x6 (BTR-52PK Makran Turret, W85 HMG RCWS, Pirooz ATGM module, maybe 40x122mm etc.)
***Massively upgraded BTR-60PB aka BTR-82 (In the newest version with new layout 8x8)
Armored Zafar Truck 155mm 8x8 (With 155mm HM41 ... and 12.7x108mm W85 HMG RCWS)
Armored Zafar Truck heavy MRLS (With larger MRLS pod than 40x122mm)

*** BTR-82 (Iranian upgraded BTR-60PB) Upgrade = 2x2 Dehlaviyeh, Nasir AGL – like BMP-2M Berezhok Turret
More passive + cage armor, it should be still amphibious, like BTR-90
So, let's call the again upgraded Iranian BTR-82 (aka upgraded BTR-60PB) just BTR-NEW.
Make a family out of that.
30mm, 7.62x54mmR coaxial, 2x2 Dehlaviyeh, 40x53mm Nasir AGL – like BMP-2M Berezhok
105mm (which you use(d) on your T-72Z/Safir-74), 7.62x54mmR (modified, similar like the Cubans modified the 100mm and 115mm for usage on BTR-60PB)
120mm Mortar Carrier, 12.7x108mm RCWS or manned but shielded
ARV Vehicle
Medic Vehicle
Command Vehicle

Other light vehicles which are good for SpecOps and other light infantry formations, good for harrassing the enemy kicking asses of adversaries like FSA/ISIS etc. like Safir Jeep 4x4 (MG3/PKM/W85/Nasir AGL/SPG-9/M40/107MRL/ATGM)

Heavy (Tracked):
***Massively upgraded BMP-2 (Best modernize it too, like BTR-60PB, new armor layout)
Karrar MBT
Raad-2M (But should based on improved BMP-2 chassis, for easier logistics)

***BMP-2 Upgrade = 2x2 Dehlaviyeh, Nasir AGL – like BMP-2M Berezhok
More passive + cage armor, it should be still amphibious, like BMP-2M Berezhok

Goal is to use LESS different stuff.

If you like my fast brainstorming I would continue it :D
Thanks if you read it until here. :D :*

Last edited:

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom