What's new

Iranian Chill Thread

Hackers targeting and stealing billions from Iranian citizens in texting scheme

Financially motivated hackers likely based in Iran are successfully targeting and stealing billions in currency from Iranian civilians through a texting campaign, new research released Wednesday found.

Israeli-American cybersecurity company Check Point Research found evidence that tens of thousands of Iranians had been targeted in the scheme, which involved the hackers sending texts to Android users that impersonated branches of the Iranian government.

The texts prompted victims to download malicious applications that then steal credit card information and two-factor authentication codes, with the infected devices then used as bots by the hackers to spread the campaign further. The average victim lost between $1,000 and $2,000, and the Check Point researchers found that the stolen data was easily accessible online to third parties.

"The general population of Iran is in a growing situation where cyberattacks significantly impact day-to-day lives," Alexandra Gofman, the threat intelligence team leader at Check Point Software, said in a quote provided to The Hill. "We believe these recent cyberattacks to be financially motivated and a form of pure cybercrime. We suspect the threat actors involved are likely from Iran itself."

The new research was released months after Check Point Research published separate findings tying cyberattacks on Iran's railroad system and its Ministry of Roads and Urbanization to a hacking group known as "Indra," which Check Point concluded was likely not controlled by a nation state and was opposed to the Iranian government.

Gofman noted that while the new findings were not directly connected to the Indra hacking group, both incidents highlighted the "significant damage" cyberattacks could do to the Iranian population.

"The velocity and spread of these cyberattacks are unprecedented. It's an example of a monetarily-successful campaign aimed at the general public," Gofman stressed. "The campaign exploits social engineering and causes major financial loss to its victims, despite the low quality and technical simplicity of its tools."

The report from Check Point noted that while there are steps to take that can prevent Android devices from being compromised, such as only downloading applications on official stores, it was critical to raise awareness about SMS-phishing threats among the public.

"Although these specific campaigns are widespread in Iran, they can take place in any other part of the world," Gofman said. "I think it's important to raise awareness of social engineering schemes that are employed by malicious actors."

Copied from
https://www.yahoo.com/

Is this news true?

Hackers targeting and stealing billions from Iranian citizens in texting scheme

Financially motivated hackers likely based in Iran are successfully targeting and stealing billions in currency from Iranian civilians through a texting campaign, new research released Wednesday found.

Israeli-American cybersecurity company Check Point Research found evidence that tens of thousands of Iranians had been targeted in the scheme, which involved the hackers sending texts to Android users that impersonated branches of the Iranian government.

The texts prompted victims to download malicious applications that then steal credit card information and two-factor authentication codes, with the infected devices then used as bots by the hackers to spread the campaign further. The average victim lost between $1,000 and $2,000, and the Check Point researchers found that the stolen data was easily accessible online to third parties.

"The general population of Iran is in a growing situation where cyberattacks significantly impact day-to-day lives," Alexandra Gofman, the threat intelligence team leader at Check Point Software, said in a quote provided to The Hill. "We believe these recent cyberattacks to be financially motivated and a form of pure cybercrime. We suspect the threat actors involved are likely from Iran itself."

The new research was released months after Check Point Research published separate findings tying cyberattacks on Iran's railroad system and its Ministry of Roads and Urbanization to a hacking group known as "Indra," which Check Point concluded was likely not controlled by a nation state and was opposed to the Iranian government.

Gofman noted that while the new findings were not directly connected to the Indra hacking group, both incidents highlighted the "significant damage" cyberattacks could do to the Iranian population.

"The velocity and spread of these cyberattacks are unprecedented. It's an example of a monetarily-successful campaign aimed at the general public," Gofman stressed. "The campaign exploits social engineering and causes major financial loss to its victims, despite the low quality and technical simplicity of its tools."

The report from Check Point noted that while there are steps to take that can prevent Android devices from being compromised, such as only downloading applications on official stores, it was critical to raise awareness about SMS-phishing threats among the public.

"Although these specific campaigns are widespread in Iran, they can take place in any other part of the world," Gofman said. "I think it's important to raise awareness of social engineering schemes that are employed by malicious actors."

Copied from
https://www.yahoo.com/

Is this news true?
It might be. It's probably phishing attacks. Nothing major or serious.

@QWECXZ ,,,before I forget I like to thank you for raising objection to what that Pakistani member said in that other thread. I have never met a Pakistani that I did not like..I even had one working for me in my team in here. All very polite and nice people..This individual who out of a blue became personal with me is product of his upbringing and full of hatred towards Iranians and best way is to simply brush him away ...every nationality has those kinds .Keep up the good work, I admire how you can go toe to toe with some of them for so long....lol:cheers:

Covid 19 counts are down in Iran. Hopefully Iran can avoid another wave. This latest mutation, Omnicron, is a disaster. In Germany they are imposing lockdowns on unvaccinated individuals. They can only leave their homes for work or to purchase food. They are even considering mandatory vaccinations.

View attachment 798304View attachment 798305

omicron

The worst performing currency this year is the Turkish Lira but as the other members pointed out, a countries exchange rate is not necessarily an indication of a nations economic situation.

Also the nominal rate is not an indication of a nations economic prowess. For example, currently 1 US Dollar equals 21 Mexican Peso or 113 Japanese Yen. However that does not mean that the Mexican Peso is stronger than the Yen or that Mexico's economy is not superior to Japan's.

As I pointed out, Pakistan. Is currently seeking loans to pay off previous loans. After being refused by the IMF and China, Imran Khan tried to borrow money from Pakistans central bank by taking their profits for the year, however the IMF, who control Pakistan's central bank refused.

Say what you want about Iran but I don't see Iran begging the world for new loans to pay off old loans. Also Iran's banking sector is not controlled by foreign institutions.

Recently Iran's economy surpassed Saudi Arabia and Turkey to become the 17th largest in the world and despite harsh sanctions, Iran's economy is growing.

It's 293K rials in open market. Second worse currency in the world, first one being their friend Venezuela.

Last edited:
Winter arrives in Iran... Tabriz in a snowy day

1638497276184.png

1638497304512.png

1638497342870.png

1638497384357.png

1638497415051.png

1638497534571.png

A brief side remark if I may. Politics and governance are no exact sciences. The historical predominance of experimental / hard science in Iranian culture (vis a vis humanities and social sciences in particular) has predisposed many, including officials, to this belief. However it is fundamentally flawed. One will never be able to manage a polity, no matter of which size, in ways akin to how production processes in a lab, a factory, a powerplant etc are managed. And none of the disciplines which come into play in governance are exact sciences - and this includes economics.

I remember how years ago, a liberal inclined official and technocrat like Ali Akbar Salehi on national TV was suggesting that economy is a "science" and that therefore, there's an indisputable path to follow for the government in terms of macroeconomic policy, a path supposedly laid out by the "scientific" findings of the economic discipline... But politics and governance by their very essence have a transcending dimension to them, something which doesn't play out on the physical level. And the fact is that the (liberal capitalist) economic models in use aren't completely based on actual conditions but on theoretical, extrapolated ones that never apply to the letter in human reality. At the end of the day, economics remain a social, inter-human activity with all its imperfections relative to theory, with its ambiguities, paradoxes, and above all, with its natural generation of controversy and plurality of competing views and conceptions. There is no clear cut, fool proof, scientifically determined answer to most major economic issues facing human society.

The Prince (shahryar) has no "scientifically" prescribed and pre-established formula at his disposal by which to govern the City (shahr / polis). There is no mathematical, physical, biological etc solution to matters of governance, and there never will be.
Thanks for your reply but what I said was "usage of science" not saying "politics and governance are exact sciences" ... and I added " usage of science, reason and other experiences to fathom the real reason behind problems and find the solution " ...
Moreover excluding science from our governance has resulted in one inevitable naked brutal fact that 85 million people felt it with their own flesh and blood in the past decade ... decreed 1$=1226T in 1391 could not challenge fundamental truth of economy in the same way decreed 1$=4200T in 1397 that failed miserably too... and believe me that is pure science, by defying and denying it and doing one mistake over and over you'd always get same answer as we've all got .. and truth is parading before our eyes and worse yet to come.
Therefore There is mathematical, physical, biological etc solution to matters of governance next to other approches , we need just to embrace it ... Shah didn't and fell for "Dutch disease" as he called economists idiots ...
Funny part is still and despite all headache we've got. no matter how it ends we wanna ignore simple principles ....
P.s: we don't live in void and if no mathematical, physical, biological etc solution guide us to matters of governance then what would be that beacon of hope to go after?

Interesting fact...
Data is a bit old..no data for China and India .
engineering STEM.jpg

Written byDEBASMITA CHATTERJEE | Last Modified 30-11-2021 | 20 COMMENTS

Top 10 Countries That Produce The Most Engineers – Check Here
Top 10 Countries That Produce The Most Engineers

Engineers play an imperative role by the discoveries of science to improve the quality of life. Let’s have a look on top 10 countries that produce the most engineers.
The countries like the United States, Japan, and other developed nations produced the best part of the world’s graduates over past few decades. Now, the trends have started to change and the world has witnessed that a significant number of new engineering, construction, and manufacturing graduates appear from the emerging and developing countries.
Learn, Practice & Test on India's Largest Education Platform - Embibe1. Russia
According to the Statistics of UNESCO Institute, the country which contributes the highest number of engineering graduates per year, is Russia. According to the report, Russia accomplishes almost half a million engineering graduates every year. The United States and Iran those are producing a quarter of million engineering graduates for each year.
LEARN EXAM CONCEPTS ON EMBIBE
2 . The United States of America
Related image

The USA stands on the second particle to provide many engineering graduates. The country concentrates on the goals of industrialization and As the country needs a tech-savvy force to accomplish the goals of industrialization, and that nation creates the excitement and make a rewarding future for a scientist or engineer.
3. Iran
Iran, being a developing country, acquires the third spot because of its modern technical expertise and sound infrastructure. Among the many misconceptions about Iran, such as the poor stature of women. The surprising truth is that, from 233,695 engineering graduates in Iran, 70% of them are women. It is a higher percent than in any other country.
Learn, Practice & Test on India's Largest Education Platform - Embibe4. Japan
engineers in japan

This is a known fact that Japan is the most technologically advanced countries in the world. Engineering jobs are among the top rated job in Japan and the country targets enough graduates to fill the open vacancies.
PRACTICE EXAM QUESTIONS
5. South Korea
Engineer in Korea
South Korea’s economy—showcased engineering as a very prestigious profession fundamental to the nation’s success.Engineers are in the high demand across every sector of South Korea. Lots of organizations are developing their innovative and creative solution to make their product attractive with the help of engineers.
6. Indonesia
Related image

Indonesia is estimated to carry the annual shortage of around 30,000 engineering graduates per year.This developing country is concentrating much to build engineers. The number of Annual Engineering graduates are 140,169 /year.
Learn, Practice & Test on India's Largest Education Platform - Embibe7. Ukraine
The developing country like Ukraine increases its engineering graduates. The opportunity of IT employment is rising in Ukraine. The IT industry is growing 10%- 15% in a year in Ukraine. As per the report, it produces 130,391 engineer graduates in a year.
ATTEMPT MOCK TESTS
8. Mexico
Mexico has shown a surprising engineering strength.The country has almost 5 engineering students per among 1,000 people. It had 579,814 students enrolled in engineering programs in 2011, and the enrollment for engineering is increasing now.
9. France
Related image

France is increasing the enrollment of engineering students.French engineering programs are well-known for their rigorous curricula aimed at positioning graduates for successful careers following graduation. They also integrate business training, foreign language study, and communication skills for delivering creative solutions to some of the today’s most complex challenges.
10. Vietnam
Apart from the United States and Japan, the developed country Vietnam has also made it into the top 10, producing 140,000 and 100,000 engineering graduates each year respectively. Vietnam has a large range of engineering job opportunity including mechanical, civil, environmental, electrical and industrial engineering.
Countries with the most engineering graduates
Countries
No. of Engineering Graduates (approx)
Russian Federation454,436
United States237,826
Iran233,695
Japan168,214
South Korea147,858
Indonesia140,169
Ukraine130,391
Mexico113,944
France104,746
Vietnam100,390
That top Ten countries are shining towards the advancement of technology and new discoveries of science and technology. That leads better prospect for engineers across the globe in 2017.

How long are this Qanat systems? Is it only from the river to the ancient cities or is it kilometers long thru out the country?

Some are hundreds of kilometers long. It's a comprehensive system all over the country.

----------

Thanks for your reply but what I said was "usage of science" not saying "politics and governance are exact sciences" ... and I added " usage of science, reason and other experiences to fathom the real reason behind problems and find the solution " ...
Moreover excluding science from our governance has resulted in one inevitable naked brutal fact that 85 million people felt it with their own flesh and blood in the past decade ... decreed 1$=1226T in 1391 could not challenge fundamental truth of economy in the same way decreed 1$=4200T in 1397 that failed miserably too... and believe me that is pure science, by defying and denying it and doing one mistake over and over you'd always get same answer as we've all got .. and truth is parading before our eyes and worse yet to come.
Therefore There is mathematical, physical, biological etc solution to matters of governance next to other approches , we need just to embrace it ... Shah didn't and fell for "Dutch disease" as he called economists idiots ...
Funny part is still and despite all headache we've got. no matter how it ends we wanna ignore simple principles ....
P.s: we don't live in void and if no mathematical, physical, biological etc solution guide us to matters of governance then what would be that beacon of hope to go after?

See, that's exactly my point: no exact science can apply in matters of governance. If you mean human science or social science, then I will agree - however, these are not exact or hard sciences, meaning that for almost every topic at hand relevant to governance and policy making, we will have be several competing theories to choose from.

Case in point, the example of the twin exchange rate. No single economic theory qualifies as unchallenged "truth" in this regard. Here as in other economic areas, the Friedman / Hayek Chicago school of neo-classic, monetarist economics is far from the only approach in existence - thank God.

I'll submit that there's nothing wrong with a government-sponsored, parallel exchange rate - as long as it is used exclusively for importing basic needs of the masses, such as wheat for instance. And even then, priority should be given to boosting domestic production and attaining self-sufficiency (again) - for when it comes to these elementary products and to food security for example, competitivity as prescribed by classic economic theory does not matter anymore because at this point it turns into a national security issue (those who had no second thought about seeking to prevent Iran from importing medicine will try their best to block food from reaching Iran).

All issues with the twin exchange rate stem from the fact that these subsidized dollars were made available to any corrupt trader with the right connections and for any sorts of imports. Of course this must stop. But that doesn't mean the subsidized exchange rate should be abolished altogether. No, it should be maintained but under strict public supervision, to make sure it is only and exclusively used for importing elementary goods consumed on a daily basis by the masses - not luxury items, nor all too specific ones that have no bearing on the everyday lives of ordinary citizens bearing the brunt of sanctions etc.

Furthermore, and against classic economic theory, I will advocate strict governmental price control for a limited number of basic consumer goods which the welfare of working classes depends on. In addition to rationing of these same goods, and the government directly selling these items to consumers. Because while some have decried flawed instances of privatization, privatization in general (whether flawed or not) isn't a solution to these particular issues: government intervention is. Indeed, the least intermediaries and middlemen you have, the least opportunities for corruption and unwarranted, artificial price increase.

The only viable formula for Iran to address the woes of the working class in the short run includes a revival of Jahade Keshavarzi. And that's what we're actually heading for right now under the Raisi administration - if liberal mafias are held in check, that is. I remember the 1980's and how despite war and sanctions, the pressure on the working class was relieved. Thanks to Jahad, thanks to rationing, thanks to direct distribution of basic consumer goods by the government. Heck, maybe social science is "experimental" after all (just kidding)!

Last edited:
Turkish economy in trouble

The more a country relies on imports the more a devaluation of currency will affect them..In case of Iran we were not relying too much on imports but for Turkey I recall for every $100 that they export they import $120 (negative trade balance) so imagine they now have to buy $$ for imports at such devalued currency. Also they have to service their huge foreign debt (pay interest) again at devalued currency,,it must hurt.

Back
Top Bottom