What's new

Iran unveiled the third generation of its humanoid robot dubbed ' Surena III '

Aramagedon

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Only 7 robots in the world have such abilities.

TEHRAN, Nov. 16 (MNA) – Iranian humanoid robot ‘Surena III’ developed by researchers at University of Tehran was unveiled today during a ceremony attended by Vice President for Science and Technology.

The third generation of Iranian humanoid robot dubbed ‘Surena’ with a height of 190cm and a weight of 98kg enjoys remarkable improvements over its previous model. Surena III has 31 degrees of freedom, 9 degrees more than Surena II, including 12 at its legs, 16 at its hands, 2 at its head and 1 at its waist. Each leg of the robot has 6 degrees of freedom including 3 at its thighs, 1 at its knees and 2 at its wrists.

Surena III walks 3km/h faster than the previous model. It also has the ability to walk on uneven or sloping surfaces, as well as climb up and down stairs. Surena III can also drift and turn around within a desired radius.

The Iranian humanoid robot is also capable of interacting with its surroundings through visual and auditory senses. It can also speak based on predefined text, and enjoys the ability to recognize objects and has remote control.

Surena III can also detect human faces in motion and recognize body positions. It can hear and speak 200 words/sentences in Persian.

The national project of humanoid robot Surena III has been conducted by Center for Advanced Systems and Technology (CAST) at the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering of University of Tehran. In addition to professors and students of University of Tehran, a number of elites from other universities and companies active in the field of robotics have also participated in the project.

According to the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), Iran's manufacture of Surena makes it one of five countries in the world with the technology to make humanoid robots. Iran unveiled Surena I and Surena II in 2008 and 2010, respectively.

Iranian humanoid ‘Surena III’ unveiled - Mehr News Agency

Last edited:
Once again Iran makes me proud. :tup:

Btw: Turkey has also national project of humanoid robot.

This is Akinci/Akinoid II:

akinci-2.jpg

I think there is already a third version of this robot.

Humanity has nothing to worry about.

We don't have any autonomus Robots in Pakistan but we have Talebans in Afghanistan with remote control in Rawalpindi.
Well I would love to send some robots to afghanistan and india as they will do exactly what I want :D

Intl. robotics, artificial intelligence fest. to kick off Mon.

News ID: 2967417 - Sun 15 November 2015 - 14:02

TEHRAN, Nov. 15 (MNA) – Amirkabir University of Technology is to host massive international competitions in the field of artificial intelligence and robotics tomorrow in Tehran.
The fifth international competition of Artificial Intelligence and Robotics (AUTcup 2015), the third international competition of Artificial Intelligence (AAIC2015), as well as the first open Firacup 2015 will be held by Amirkabir University of Technology during November 16-18, 2015.

Soroush Sadeghnejad, chairman of the festival’s technical committee, said 332 teams had filled in applications for participating in the international event, 90 of which have been finally selected to participate.

The competition will be held in 15 robotics sections and 10 artificial intelligence sections organized for high school and university students, of which 4 leagues have been allocated to high school students, 6 leagues of AUTcup and 5 leagues of FIRACup to university students.

Amirkabir Robotics competitions will be held in 5 leagues including real ground and air rescue robots, medical robots, landmine detection robots, factory robots and service robots. The open Firacup competitions will also have 5 specialized leagues.

According to Sadeghnejad, the student competitions will be held in 5 leagues including smart routing robots, humanoid soccer robots, humanoid robots, creativity in robotics and transport robots.

The competitions will aim at strengthening the spirit of science and technology among the general public as well as the young generation, developing the smart independent robots and bringing the researchers and students specializing in robotics, automation and artificial intelligence together.

The festival will be held under the motto of ‘Robots in the Service of Industry’.

Intl. robotics, artificial intelligence fest. to kick off Mon. - Mehr News Agency

@2800 would you post a version of this in hightech room... with sufficient amount of pictures...cheers

Once again Iran makes me proud. :tup:

Btw: Turkey has also national project of humanoid robot.

This is Akinci/Akinoid II:

akinci-2.jpg

I think there is already a third version of this robot.
Yes, I have a pic of him... I'm more impressed with its six packs than its head and neck...

akinoid-3_akinci-3.png

SORENA III

btw, Sorena is named after a Parthian famous figure around 2000 years ago.

SURENA_III.jpeg

Yes, it looks ugly. The reason is that it is still in the development phase.
They're trying to create a robot like the Japanese Geminoid.

Summit.jpg

In addition, there are many different models of robots in Turkey.

2006: RoboTurk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2010: Suralp
SURALP.JPG

Another example is Auriga
-turkler-yapmis-arkadas-dedirttiler-1916912.Jpeg

(2011)
Robot Auriga was developed by Ali Özgün HIRLAK and Burak Özdemir in 2011 at University of Cukurova. Auriga is the first brain controlled robot, designed in Turkey. Auriga can service food and medicine to paralysed people by patient's thoughts. EEG technology is adapted for manipulation of the robot. The project was supported by Turkish Government.[47]
Humanoid robot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

etc.

Progress is slow but steady. :) In Turkey, there are also many robot competitions between universities and institutions. The society is very interested in these technologies.

urfali-cocuklar-kolbasti-oynayan-robot-uretti-747293.jpg

This is a little "dancing" robot produced by 12 school students from Urfa.

All in all, I see great potential. It should not be forgotten that we have no fossil resources we could sell. All programs must be paid with taxpayers' money. It takes a little longer in this way. Aside from that, there were no international participation of scientists and companies as it was in the case of Surena III project.

Anyway, I'm happy about every progress and improvement in Iran. In the end I believe that the Middle East will settle its conflicts and differences. If it comes to that point any progress in Iran will also be the progress of all people from our region. We will all benefit from the Iranian culture, history, traditions, technology, values and vice versa. Every Turk, every Arab and every Kurd will be proud of Iran and the Iranians will be proud of them too. On these grounds I'm just anticipating this future developements and therefore, by all means, Surena is our common pride. There is already enough hate, anger and discord in our region. Go, Iran, go! :tup:

(Sorry for my bad English.)

Yes, it looks ugly. The reason is that it is still in the development phase.
They're trying to create a robot like the Japanese Geminoid.

Summit.jpg

In addition, there are many different models of robots in Turkey.

2006: RoboTurk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2010: Suralp
SURALP.JPG

Another example is Auriga
-turkler-yapmis-arkadas-dedirttiler-1916912.Jpeg

(2011)
Robot Auriga was developed by Ali Özgün HIRLAK and Burak Özdemir in 2011 at University of Cukurova. Auriga is the first brain controlled robot, designed in Turkey. Auriga can service food and medicine to paralysed people by patient's thoughts. EEG technology is adapted for manipulation of the robot. The project was supported by Turkish Government.[47]
Humanoid robot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

etc.

Progress is slow but steady. :) In Turkey, there are also many robot competitions between universities and institutions. The society is very interested in these technologies.

urfali-cocuklar-kolbasti-oynayan-robot-uretti-747293.jpg

This is a little "dancing" robot produced by 12 school students from Urfa.

All in all, I see great potential. It should not be forgotten that we have no fossil resources we could sell. All programs must be paid with taxpayers' money. It takes a little longer in this way. Aside from that, there were no international participation of scientists and companies as it was in the case of Surena III project.

Anyway, I'm happy about every progress and improvement in Iran. In the end I believe that the Middle East will settle its conflicts and differences. If it comes to that point any progress in Iran will also be the progress of all people from our region. We will all benefit from the Iranian culture, history, traditions, technology, values and vice versa. Every Turk, every Arab and every Kurd will be proud of Iran and the Iranians will be proud of them too. On these grounds I'm just anticipating this future developements and therefore, by all means, Surena is our common pride. There is already enough hate, anger and discord in our region. Go, Iran, go! :tup:

(Sorry for my bad English.)

Anything, any of our young students from the region, does, no matter how small, is a cause for celebration and applaud. A young person with a pencil in hand is better than a gun in his hand.

Congrats to Turkey also.

But a reminder to the Turks, Pakistanis, and Iranians who are working on these. Don't forget to program Asimov's Three Law of Robotics:
  1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
  2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
  3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws

Anything, any of our young students from the region, does, no matter how small, is a cause for celebration and applaud. A young person with a pencil in hand is better than a gun in his hand.

Congrats to Turkey also.

But a reminder to the Turks, Pakistanis, and Iranians who are working on these. Don't forget to program Asimov's Three Law of Robotics:
  1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
  2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
  3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws
Arent those the 3 rules of Robots in iRobot? :D

Back
Top Bottom