What's new

Iran Tests Supercavitating Torpedo

AmirPatriot

Reaction score
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
Iran Test Fires High-Speed Torpedo Sunday

Three senior defense officials report that Iran test-fired a high-speed torpedo near the Strait of Hormuz on Sunday.

The Hoot torpedo is still in the testing phase, the officials report, but once it is fully operational it should be able to travel about 12,000 yards (approximately six nautical miles) at a speed of about 200 knots per hour (approximately 250 miles per hour). None of the officials could say whether the test was successful or not.

The USS George HW Bush strike group is in the Gulf right now but all three officials said the test did not pose a threat to U.S. ships or assets in the region.

Two of the officials said that the Iranian military last tested this torpedo in February 2015.

1643474_-_main.jpg

The Hoot Torpedo at a Defence Exhibition

The Hoot is thought to be a copy of the Russian VA-111 Shkval.

Iran Test Fires High-Speed Torpedo Sunday

Three senior defense officials report that Iran test-fired a high-speed torpedo near the Strait of Hormuz on Sunday.

The Hoot torpedo is still in the testing phase, the officials report, but once it is fully operational it should be able to travel about 12,000 yards (approximately six nautical miles) at a speed of about 200 knots per hour (approximately 250 miles per hour). None of the officials could say whether the test was successful or not.

The USS George HW Bush strike group is in the Gulf right now but all three officials said the test did not pose a threat to U.S. ships or assets in the region.

Two of the officials said that the Iranian military last tested this torpedo in February 2015.

1643474_-_main.jpg

The Hoot Torpedo at a Defence Exhibition

The Hoot is thought to be a copy of the Russian VA-111 Shkval.
They`re still testing it??,how many years has that been?

They`re still testing it??,how many years has that been?

Yeah, I was under the impression this torpedo was already in the active arsenal.

I'm guessing it has had some set backs and needs more testing

It is routine to test weapons from time to time. Its called a live fire exercise.
Oh I realise that,but the wording in the article would suggest that this is not a routine test of an in service weapon but a test that is part of the ongoing development program of a weapon that is still not yet in operational service with the military.
Admittedly theres still a lot we dont know about this weapon with regards to iran,for instance is this weapon a licensed version of the russian shkval?,personally I have my doubts about this as the very long time taken to develop this weapon would probably suggest not,so this then raises the very likely possibility to my mind of a reverse/reengineered iranian version which may be internally very different to the original soviet era design,certainly I think that is one very real possibility.

Oh I realise that,but the wording in the article would suggest that this is not a routine test of an in service weapon but a test that is part of the ongoing development program of a weapon that is still not yet in operational service with the military.
Admittedly theres still a lot we dont know about this weapon with regards to iran,for instance is this weapon a licensed version of the russian shkval?,personally I have my doubts about this as the very long time taken to develop this weapon would probably suggest not,so this then raises the very likely possibility to my mind of a reverse/reengineered iranian version which may be internally very different to the original soviet era design,certainly I think that is one very real possibility.
Hoot has too small range.
hould be able to travel about 12,000 yards (approximately six nautical miles) at a speed of about 200 knots per hour (approximately 250 miles per hour)
and this range is really bigger than what I remember for Hoot.
probably, they changed the fuel or something else to increase range.

and this range is really bigger than what I remember for Hoot.
Actually it is almost exactly the same...

To be honest, the article doesn't say what the range of the test was, just what it is likely to be, which the US officials probably say because that's the range of the Shkval.

Actually it is almost exactly the same...

To be honest, the article doesn't say what the range of the test was, just what it is likely to be, which the US officials probably say because that's the range of the Shkval.
maybe I am wrong but I thought Hoot has range smaller

You don't test your weapons in the strait of Hormuz, you show it off.

This article is just another B.S from U.S.

First publicized test of the torpedo back in 2005. It did what it was supposed to do. So Maybe they are testing its guidance and navigation system as I heard in that speed, changing path is a big challenge.

ALCON,

To clarify, the original VA-111 (which had no actual guidance mechanism, just a straight shot weapon) had a range of only about 7km. Later production models apparently have a range increase of 50-100%, apparently thanks to actually having a guidance system installed.

A great source here:
http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WTRussian_post-WWII.php

It's quite possible the first Hoot tests were simpler unguided variants (a proof of concept if you will after reverse-engineering the VA-111) and this current model is a longer ranged/guided improvement.

Or NBC news just wiki'd the range and paid no attention to what variant they were looking at.

First publicized test of the torpedo back in 2005. It did what it was supposed to do. So Maybe they are testing its guidance and navigation system as I heard in that speed, changing path is a big challenge.

Changing the path is not the hard part , the challenge is changing toward where ? As this sort of torpedo really mess with sonar .

Back
Top Bottom