What's new

Iran launches advanced Jamaran destroyer

Abi

Reaction score
Iran's Navy on Friday took the delivery of the first indigenously designed and developed guided missile destroyer Jamaran in the presence of the leader of the Islamic Revelation Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei.

The Mowdge Class vessel has a displacement of around 1,420 tonnes and is equipped with modern radars and electronic warfare capabilities.

Jamaran, a multi-mission destroyer, can carry 120-140 personnel on board and is armed with a variety of anti-ship and surface-to-air missiles.

It has a top speed of up to 30 knots and has a helipad.

The vessel has also been equipped with torpedoes and modern naval cannons. The destroyer's launch marks a major technological leap for Iran's naval industries.

More ships in its class are under construction.

SF/DT

Iran launches advanced <i>Jamaran</i> destroyer

Last edited by a moderator:
-_-", I love how Iran is always talking about the latest technological advances that are supposedly far superior than those in West namely the U.S.

Some Prime Examples: Iran indigenously UAV's with pin point laser guided missiles, also your supposedly 4th Generation and 5th Generation Stealth Fighters that you developed, and also you have claimed that you developed an something to Rival the S-300 missile system..

-Now you show me, a Steam Boat with a Cannon, saying it's a guided missile destroyer?? PLEASE, get the F**K OUT..

-Also your specs a 14000 Ton Displacement really?? That's a mini aircraft carrier, The U.S Navy's biggest destroyer is 9,240 Tons that's a Arleigh Burke Class Destroyer..

-_-", I love how Iran is always talking about the latest technological advances that are supposedly far superior than those in West namely the U.S.

Did it say it is far superior than "those in the West, namely the U.S"? No it did not.

Some Prime Examples: Iran indigenously UAV's with pin point laser guided missiles, also your supposedly 4th Generation and 5th Generation Stealth Fighters that you developed, and also you have claimed that you developed an something to Rival the S-300 missile system..

1)We have been designing UAVs for over 30 years. The first UCAV in the world was Iranian. We do have UAVs that can carry PGMs.

2) We have never claimed to be building 4th or 5th gen. fighters. We are developing a stealth UAV and so far we have conducted two tests.

3) We "are" building something to rival the S-300. It is going to be either the S-300 Russia will give us or the HQ-10. We're going to change its appearance so that Russia or China can save face in the international community and we get advanced SAM systems.

-Also your specs a 14000 Ton Displacement really?? That's a mini aircraft carrier, The U.S Navy's biggest destroyer is 9,240 Tons that's a Arleigh Burke Class Destroyer..

Who said it is 14,000 ton displacement? The navy commander? No, it was a typo in the article, if you look at the article i posted below, it says it is 1,400 tons. The navy commander said it was a 1,400 ton displacement vessel. This is the second vessel we have made in the Mowj class series and they have a displacement of 1,400.

It won't hurt to use your brain a little bit.

Last edited:
Iran Launches 1st Domestically Made Missile Destroyer

By Ali Sheikholeslami

Feb. 19 (Bloomberg) -- Iran has put into service the country&#8217;s first domestically produced guided-missile destroyer, the Jamaran.

Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei launched the 94-meter (308-foot), 1,400-ton vessel at a site in the Persian Gulf, state-run Press TV said today.

Iran&#8217;s success in developing the ship shows the country is technologically self-sufficient though it is under international sanctions, the state-run broadcaster said. All research, design and production of the ship took place in Iran, where the project benefited from the work of 120 universities and research institutes, according to state television.

President Barack Obama is accelerating the deployment of new defenses against possible Iranian missile attacks in the Persian Gulf, the New York Times reported Jan. 31, citing administration and military officials. Kuwait, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar and Bahrain, where the U.S. Navy has its regional base, agreed to host the systems, the Times said.

The new Iranian destroyer&#8217;s maximum speed is 30 knots and it can carry a crew of 140, Press TV said. It has anti-ship and surface-to-air missiles, torpedoes, naval cannons and a helipad, the channel said. More ships in the Jamaran class are under construction, Press TV cited Iran&#8217;s navy as saying.

The ship was named for an area in northern Tehran where the late founder of the Islamic republic, Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, resided.

Iran is under three sets of United Nations sanctions for refusing to scale back its nuclear program, which the U.S. and some of its allies allege is cover for the development of weapons. Iran denies the allegation, saying the program is needed to generate electricity.

Iran Launches 1st Domestically Made Missile Destroyer (Update1) - BusinessWeek

Who said it is 14,000 ton displacement? The navy commander? No, it was a media station. The navy commander said it was a 1,400 ton displacement vessel. This is the second vessel we have made in the Mowj class series and they have a displacement of 14,000.

First Congratualtions to Iran great step towards more self development ...:cheers::cheers:
Questions

does a 1400 ton vessel classify as a Destroyer?????

the second one u have said to be 14000 tons displacement ... what will it be i mean is it going to be an amphibious assault ship of very small aircraft carrier ...coz it gonna be huge even for a Destroyer..
if u can throw some light on this ... it would be great..

First Congratualtions to Iran great step towards more self development ...:cheers::cheers:
Questions

does a 1400 ton vessel classify as a Destroyer?????

the second one u have said to be 14000 tons displacement ... what will it be i mean is it going to be an amphibious assault ship of very small aircraft carrier ...coz it gonna be huge even for a Destroyer..
if u can throw some light on this ... it would be great..

Probably not in most navies. I guess you can call it frigate, but Iran has a different classification system which is not based on displacement but rather based on armament.

It is not 14,000 by the way, it is just a typo, it's meant to be 1,400-1,500 tons.

Probably not in most navies. I guess you can call it frigate, but Iran has a different classification system which is not based on displacement but rather based on armament.

It is not 14,000 by the way, it is just a typo, it's meant to be 1,400-1,500 tons.

ok thanks for the clarification ;)

Nice ship shouldn't displacement be bigger though i saw a while back Iran had a light frigate with the same displacement or is it based on armament rather then size ? Would be good to know.

Nevermind i talked with a few people about it and figured it out. Most likely Iran classified this as a destroyer because of the role it will do and armament may have also played a factor(Frigates have guided missiles too though) still this should be classified as a corvette/light frigate along with some of their other ships. Again though nice ship keep up the good work.

Last edited:
Did it say it is far superior than "those in the West, namely the U.S"? No it did not.

1)We have been designing UAVs for over 30 years. The first UCAV in the world was Iranian. We do have UAVs that can carry PGMs.

2) We have never claimed to be building 4th or 5th gen. fighters. We are developing a stealth UAV and so far we have conducted two tests.

3) We "are" building something to rival the S-300. It is going to be either the S-300 Russia will give us or the HQ-10. We're going to change its appearance so that Russia or China can save face in the international community and we get advanced SAM systems.

Who said it is 14,000 ton displacement? The navy commander? No, it was a typo in the article, if you look at the article i posted below, it says it is 1,400 tons. The navy commander said it was a 1,400 ton displacement vessel. This is the second vessel we have made in the Mowj class series and they have a displacement of 1,400.

-Back in September 2006, there was a bit of a kerfuffle in some quarters over an Iranian news agency (IRNA) announcement that quoted the commander of the Iranian army General Attollah Salehi as saying their new indigeous Saegheh/ Saeqeh [DID: &#8220;thunder&#8221; or &#8220;lightning&#8221;, reports vary] aircraft is &#8220;similar to the F-18 fighter jet, but it is more capable and has been manufactured domestically&#8230; designed, remodeled, optimized and made more capable by our engineers&#8230; no country has aided us in its production.&#8221; Reports are also repeating Iran&#8217;s claim that it is developing a 5th generation &#8220;Shafagh&#8221; stealth fighter, without appropriate laughter or ridicule.

Readers may recall past Iranian claims re: &#8220;stealth&#8221; flying boats that obviously used stealth-killing propellers, and other such nonsense. At the time, DID offered a more sober and reasoned light on this new development. Now that IRNA news reports are resurfacing, including pictures, the issues seem worth revisiting&#8230;

Iran&#8217;s New Saegheh Fighter Enters Service

-Yeah, I do use my brain, and 1400 Ton Displacement ship, isn't even remotely close to a destroyer like I said more like a steam boat..

welcome congrats to Abi and all Iranian brothers

i am happy to hear that and wish best of luck to Iran for their future projects

Back
Top Bottom