What's new

Iran buys six “Caspian Sea Monster” ekranoplans from Russia

The navy of Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) in 2009 in a military parade showcased ekranoplans that were supposedly developed indigenously, but there was speculation that the GEVs were actually bought from Russia in an earlier order placed by Iran.
166693_174.jpg

there is a big HESA marking on the plane. unfortunately i can not find the images of production line and i forget where i saw it. also it's not such sophisticated thing that we can not develop it by ourselves.

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/mena/2015/07/05/irans-building-a-new-flying-boat/
BTW what happened to this one??

It seems that the model is the twin-engine Ekranoplanes Orion-14
https://ria.ru/20200727/1574973611.html
During production, six Orion-14 twin-engine ekranoplanes were assembled for the needs of Russian border services; a contract for the supply of six vehicles to Iran is being implemented, of which three have already been delivered and accepted by the customer.

The claim in the ria article almost mirrors the original 2017 sputnik article that claimed that three,tho in this case they were claimed as orion-12s rather than 14s,had already been delivered to iran.
This does make me suspect that this is merely nothing more than a recycling of the same unsubstantiated claims from 2017.
https://sputniknews.com/russia/201704231052908731-russia-iran-ekranoplans/

I copied the title from the article.

See the source if you want to check it.
Yes I realise that.
I was not implying that you were at any fault merely that the title of this article was completely wrong and deliberately sensational in what it implied.

Iran should focus on acquiring some Su-35 and J-10s, their airforce is in dire need for an upgrade.

The title of the posted article in the OPs post is clearly completely misleading.....deliberately so by the intellinews.com site I suspect.:tsk:
Sort of but if you go through the news, you will get this information.

People are confusing this for a pure military standpoint.

Iran could be using these simply as a coast guard type vessel, civilian, etc. it will allow cheap and fast transport of people potentially for future oil/gas exploration projects and things of that nature.

Not everything Iran buys has to be used for war or purely military standpoint.

People are confusing this for a pure military standpoint.

Iran could be using these simply as a coast guard type vessel, civilian, etc. it will allow cheap and fast transport of people potentially for future oil/gas exploration projects and things of that nature.

Not everything Iran buys has to be used for war or purely military standpoint.
it is obviously meant for patrolling missions. we remember that arm embargo is still in place.

If i'm not wrong Ekranoplan was originally built to traverse frozen seas in order to rapidly deploy troops and armor in Western Europe (Scandinavian countries) from north. What use would it be in the highly contested strait of Hormuz?

They should at least provide a satellite picture for this claim.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom