What's new

Invisible Enemies: Insurgents and their Ideology

Spectre

Reaction score
Country
India
Historical Perspective - Power of Ideas

In the year 1923 – a ridiculous little demagogue with a funny mustache, Adolf Hitler, staged an attempted putsch in Munich. It was put down by a handful of policemen and soon forgotten.The world had far more serious dangers to contend with. There was the galloping inflation in Germany. There was the young Soviet Union. There was the dangerous competition between the two mighty colonial powers, Great Britain and France. There was, in 1929, the terrible economic crisis that devastated the world economy.

But the little Munich demagogue had a weapon that did not catch the eye of experienced statesmen and wily politicians: a powerful state of mind. He turned the humiliation of a great nation into a weapon more effective than aircraft and battleships. In a short time – just a few years – he conquered Germany, then Europe and looked set to take on the entire world. Many millions of human beings perished in the process. Untold misery visited many countries. Not to mention the Holocaust, a crime almost without parallel in the annals of modern history.

How did he do it? Primarily not by political and military power, but by the power of an idea, a state of mind, a mental explosion. Against an intoxicating new idea, material weapons are powerless, armies and navies crumble and mighty empires, like Byzantium and Persia, disintegrate. But ideas are invisible, realists cannot see them, experienced statesmen and mighty generals are blind to them.

How many divisions has the Pope?” Stalin responded contemptuously, when told about the power of the Church. Yet the Soviet Empire fell and disappeared, and the Catholic Church is still here.

Contemporary Relevance

Every day in Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan, Israel, India and elsewhere soldiers are working to win the global war on terrorism. But are they winning? Former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld has wondered out loud about this, asking if the strategy to fight the war on terrorism has been fully coherent. He said:

It's quite clear to me that we do not have a coherent approach to this [war on terrorism] … terrorism is simply a technique being used by extremists. It is not the problem in and of itself; it's a weapon that's being used.

From a military perspective, such incoherence exists because planners have not based their strategy on a detailed threat analysis of the enemy, its objectives, and its strategies. A coherent approach is not only necessary to achieve military goals but also to rally the public support needed for a sustainable long-term struggle in the defense of freedom and sovereignty.

The Players

There are two explicit players – the insurgents and the government force that fight each other – and one implicit player – the general population that sustains collateral casualties by the government’s actions and provides new recruits to the insurgency. The combat situation is asymmetric; while the insurgents have perfect institutional awareness regarding the government forces, the insurgents are mixed in the general population, and thus their signature as targets is inversely related to the size of the population in which they are embedded. It follows that the effectiveness of the government not only depends on its force size and its effectiveness, but also on the insurgents’ signature. Moreover, for a given level of combat intensity exerted by the government forces, smaller signature of the insurgency results in higher collateral damage – killing innocent bystanders – with an adverse effect to the government and favorable effect to the insurgency.

Possible Endgame - Game Theory Application

1. Loss for Government- The government always loses if there is no reinforcement to its force, as the intelligence capabilities of the government degrade with the attrition of its force, causing many innocent casualties and indirectly strengthening the insurgency, which eventually takes over.

2. Safe Stalemate - For the government, because it is robust the reinforcement rate is Sufficient, the insurgency, realizing it cannot grow, settles with the government and the insurgency situation ends.

3. Unsafe Stalemate - When the population is very sensitive to innocent casualties, and as a result the recruitment to the insurgency accelerates, the government and insurgents may approach a stalemate in an oscillating manner.

The above model represents a best-case situation from the government perspective. If the government can gather significant accurate intelligence when the insurgency is very small, it can reduce the insurgency to a small manageable size. Finally, “soft” actions such as reconstruction, civil-support, and effective propaganda may positively affect the population support for the government and thus improve intelligence obtained from human sources. Such actions can only improve the prospects of defeating the insurgency.

How to Fight Invisible Enemies

upload_2015-9-26_21-23-8.png

As ISIS, TTP and likes are the most relevant threat today - I would be using them to make my points. Kindly note that this is in no way intended to take pot-shots at Islam.

1. Define The Threat - We have to zero down on the threat - There should be no political correctness or efforts at obfuscation - If the Threat is Islamic Fundamentalism or Tamil Separatism then we should be clear about it all levels of government and civil society. Only once the threat is acknowledged there can be remedies, tactics, and solutions. Military planning often begins with identification and analysis of an opponent's ends, ways, and means.

2. Identifying the Strength, Weakness, MO and End-Game (Ways, Means and Ends)- We can use this type of analysis to identify an enemy's strategy and identify its weaknesses. Applying this to ISIS, multiple stages of planning and execution become evident. In the first phase, they utilize charismatic teachers and propagandists to incite the masses to overthrow "corrupt puppet" governments. They seek to turn indoctrinated Muslims against secular rulers and initiate either rebellion or one-man, one-vote, one-time elections. Decisions to stage dramatic attacks like those of September 11, 2001, Mumbai Seize Situation, Peshawar APS Attack or bombings in Baghdad become mere tactical decisions on the part of these terrorists. As these insurgencies progress and defeat national governments they move from revolution to consolidation.

Within the context of the global insurgency, the first two phases—sparking and consolidating revolution—need not be synchronized.The ISIS has not yet reached its final stage in which an government or governments work to re-establish a pan-Islamic caliphate. While such an objective might seem far fetched, groups ranging from small and local to global acknowledge this idea to be their ultimate goal.

Center of Gravity - After military theoreticians evaluate an opponent using ends, ways, and means analysis, they seek to determine the "center of gravity," which military theory teaches is crucial to the development of a successful counterinsurgency strategy. The center of gravity is the means or source of power that enemies use to accomplish their goals. If an adversary's center of gravity is neutralized, then it cannot achieve its objective.

In the ISIS and TTP's pre-revolutionary and revolutionary phases, there are two centers of gravity: Islamist cells and religious schools (madrassas). Among the critical requirements for these centers of gravity are an ideology to inspire recruits; a fertile environment in which to recruit; command and control leadership; legitimacy-providing sponsorship from either a state, political party, or media outlet; funding; sanctuary; and access to supplies, including everything from paper for pamphlets to C-4 plastic explosives. Damaging any of these weakens the center of gravity. If the attacks are of sufficient quality, the center of gravity deteriorates to the point that it ceases to function. In traditional military parlance, these critical requirements are the "fronts" or "lines of operation" in the war on terrorism.

Of these requirements, ideology is the most important. Fortunately, it is also the most vulnerable. Discrediting their ideology should be the main component of the counterinsurgency plan.

Ideological War

In the military struggle against TTP and ISIS, winning the war of ideas is crucial. This is nothing new. Communism vs Capitalism was the keystone for Cold-War. Center-of-gravity analysis suggests that a successful strategy should focus upon the critical requirements of ideology and the environment. In case of TTP ISPR has this role. But, swatting individual mosquitoes can only bring victory if the Pakistan simultaneously works to drain the swamp. Victory requires an approach that leverages diplomacy, information operations, economic leverage, and military pressure in a focused and coordinated effort. For example, discrediting militant Islam's ideology, while promoting tolerant interpretations of Islam is an informational and diplomatic effort not suited for military action.

Conclusion - Specific To Pakistan

Things are not as bleak as they seem sometimes - Pakistan has made progress in it;s war on terrorism. With most of these terrorists killed, detained, or in hiding, they have been starved of space to operate from and resorted to desperate attacks against civilians. While Pakistani forces work to contain insurgency, Civilian Government should also work on war footing to provide funds to reconstruct schools and roads rather than make marquee defense acquisitions and pursue vanity civilian projects. Successful action requires Pakistani officials to acknowledge militant Islam as the core of the problem. Failure to do so not only hampers efforts to address the TTP's insurgency's center of gravity but, ironically - in the name of strategic depth - it also betrays Muslims who are among the first victims of militant Islam.

@Irfan Baloch @Icarus @Oscar @AUSTERLITZ

Last edited:
Reference (Heavily borrowed from below sources with liberal cut copy and paste)

Arthur F. Lykke, Jr., Military Strategy: Theory and Application (Carlisle Barracks, Pa.: U.S. Army War College, 1989), p. 3.

Castillo-Chavez, C., B. Song. 2003. Models for the transmission dynamics of fanatic behaviors. In Bioterrorism eds Banks HT, Castillo-Chavez C (SIAM, Philadelphia), pp 155-172.

The 9/11 Commission Report (New York: W.W. Norton Co, 2004), p. 362; Sayyeed Abdul A'la Maududi, Jihad in Islam (Lahore, Pakistan: Islamic Publications, 1937), p. 8.

Simon Henderson, "Institutionalized Islam: Saudi Arabia's Islamic Policies and the Threat They Pose," prepared testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee, Subcommittee, Terrorism, Sept. 10, 2003.

An Epic History of Guerrilla Warfare from Ancient Times to the Present and Invisible Armies - Max Boot

http://www.economist.com/news/books...-patience-restraint-and-good-public-relations

How to Beat the Global Islamist Insurgency - Colonel Dale Eikmeier - Heavily Borrowed

Uri Avery - Real Menace.

@WAJsal @Armstrong @levina @Nihonjin1051

@MilSpec @Bang Galore @Joe Shearer @Horus

@jaibi @MastanKhan @waz @araz

Last edited:
Are you saying that you wrote this, @Spectre ?

A few parts sir are my original contribution- rest collated and derived from various sources referenced.

Historical inputs are there from an Israeli Gentleman - link to his contribution I couldn't find.

Military and communication Strategy are from US Army Manuals, 9/11 commission report and an article by Colonel from US Army heavily involved in counter insurgency operations

End game criteria was taken from a mathematical model based on game theory analysis on defeating insurgencies

Conclusion is mine to an extent though influenced from other sources.

The end game of terrorists in Islamic countries or at least their foot soldiers is the arrival of Jesus and Imam Mahdi, which will start with mass genocide of Non Muslims and any other ''heretical'' Muslim sects. Then Jesus will break all the crosses, slay the pigs etc. Once the evil is wiped out from Earth, Allah will send a cool breeze from which all the believers will die of painless death.

Good luck fighting this ideology because this is the belief held by majority of Muslims thanks to taking all texts literal.

The end game of terrorists in Islamic countries or at least their foot soldiers is the arrival of Jesus and Imam Mahdi, which will start with mass genocide of Non Muslims and any other ''heretical'' Muslim sects. Then Jesus will break all the crosses, slay the pigs etc. Once the evil is wiped out from Earth, Allah will send a cool breeze from which all the believers will die of painless death.

Good luck fighting this ideology because this is the belief held by majority of Muslims thanks to taking all texts literal.

These kind of people are expendable no different from bullets in a gun. We should look into root cause and eliminate the gun wielder metaphorically speaking.

Thanks for the tag. :)

Its a good article, has gone in details to identify the invisible threat. I liked the definition of CG or the center of gravity vis-a-vis ISIS.

I will talk specifically about ISIS, because AQ, TTP etc sound like fledglings when compared to ISIS.
ISIS has mastered the art of psychological war, I've observed a few patterns in their attacks:

1) They mislead their enemy- They have on many occasions used diversionary attacks and propagated mixed signals about its intentions which flummoxes their enemy. For example in Ramadi, it began offensive operations around Baiji and north of Baghdad, this confused the Iraqi forces.
2) Shock and awe- Any soldier who fights against ISIS knows, if captured they will not be spared and might have to face the most gruesome death.
3) I have read that that they attack in small units of 8-10 men, these units are not just small but also swift. Reminds me of Op.trident (India-Pak 1971 war), when swift and tiny vidyut class missile boats were used to attack the Karachi port, and also of Genghis Khan's army which was ostensibly swift.

Their weakness???
ISIS has so far always taken the initiative to attack the enemy, even when success was highly unlikely. This could effectively be used as a trap against them.

Hit them where it hurts most.
Yes, i mean it. Suffocate them financially,the sale of oil is what should be targeted as it keeps ISIS financially secure.

@Spectre I must tell you that i did not receive any notification for the tag. I had accidentally stumbled upon this thread.

Its a good article, has gone in details to identify the invisible threat. I liked the definition of CG or the center of gravity vis-a-vis ISIS.

Thanks. That definition was borrowed from another article which in turn further borrowed it from Military strategy and tactics publication of US War College.

My post is primarily a compilation of many article and books with a few thoughts sprinkled here and there.

I've observed a few patterns in their attacks:

1) They mislead their enemy- They have on many occasions used diversionary attacks and propagated mixed signals about its intentions which flummoxes their enemy. For example in Ramadi, it began offensive operations around Baiji and north of Baghdad, this confused the Iraqi forces.
2) Shock and awe- Any soldier who fights against ISIS knows, if captured they will not be spared and might have to face the most gruesome death.
3) I have read that that they attack in small units of 8-10 men, these units are not just small but also swift. Reminds me of Op.trident (India-Pak 1971 war), when swift and tiny vidyut class missile boats were used to attack the Karachi port, and also of Genghis Khan's army which was ostensibly swift.

ISIS is tactically sound from what i have observed - good mobility, camouflage, intermixing with civilians, fear psychosis etc but far more than that the forces opposing them are severely handicapped.

Iraq, Syria, Afganishtan etc are already bitterly fragmented and are at some version or other of civil war. Their soldiers are incompetent and their is no will to fight - they would rather hitch their stars to ISIS and loot and ravage rather than serve under discipline which professional armies require. Another point which works in their favor is their explicitly chauvinist ideology which reduces women to brides etc - appeals to lot of people threatened by equal rights to women.

Western countries have no will to put troops on ground - against such a mobile enemy employing Guerrilla tactics they got to have boots on ground. Air Strikes are easily avoided.

Their weakness???
ISIS has so far always taken the initiative to attack the enemy, even when success highly unlikely. This could effectively be used as a trap against them.

Hit them where it hurts most.
Yes, i mean it. Suffocate them financially,the sale of oil is what should be attacked as it keeps ISIS financially secure.

Unlikely - money contrary to what many believe is in my opinion extraneous to their success. Their biggest strength are their enemies and ideology. However choking them financially is gonna have some effect- I just doubt the extent of the effect.

About traps - It is difficult to predict their actions - baiting them is unlikely to be very fruitful as their key leadership is unlikely to take part in any operation. They just come out of their hiding holes when the area is secure.

ISIS is a very tough fight - In short we need

1. Boots on ground by professional armies. Massive deployment to clear urban areas.
2. Propaganda War
3. Remove corrupt and bigoted leadership of Iraq.
4. Remove Assad in Syria
5. Massive and quick rehabilitation in affected areas.
6. Statements from all major Islamic Leadership denouncing ISIS 24/7
7. Ban on ISIS coverage like them cutting heads etc - Instead ridicule them - make them seem as retards

Every condition except 2,6 and 7 are unlikely to happen.

4 because of Russia, 1 and 5 because of cost, 3 because of complex socio-religion issues.

Last edited:
money contrary to what many believe is in my opinion extraneous to their success
Au contraire I believe oil revenues have become a key source of revenue for the ISIS. ISIS now controls about 60% of Syria’s oil fields and several oil producing assets in Iraq.
Its said ISIS's earnings from oil trade is about $1-$3million.Just FYI- ISIS pays fighters around $400 a month, which is more than Syrian rebel groups or the Iraqi government offer. The money from oil is utilised It for purchasing weaponry, either on the black market or from corrupt officials or militias.
To ISIS's advantage, the quality of the crude produced is light and low sulfur, which means it’s good quality, and is quite easy to process through simple refineries.
Why do you think U.S. coalition strikes have targeted ISIS’s cash generating energy infrastructure.???
When compared to al-Qaeda ISIS has expanded so rapidly, oil money has been the impetus behind it.

Au contraire I believe oil revenues have become a key source of revenue for the ISIS. ISIS now controls about 60% of Syria’s oil fields and several oil producing assets in Iraq.
Its said ISIS's earnings from oil trade is about $1-$3million.Just FYI- ISIS pays fighters around $400 a month, which is more than Syrian rebel groups or the Iraqi government offer. The money from oil is utilised It for purchasing weaponry, either on the black market or from corrupt officials or militias.
To ISIS's advantage, the quality of the crude produced is light and low sulfur, which means it’s good quality, and is quite easy to process through simple refineries.
Why do you think U.S. coalition strikes have targeted ISIS’s cash generating energy infrastructure.???
When compared to al-Qaeda ISIS has expanded so rapidly, oil money has been the impetus behind it.

Yeah, your logic is sound and oil revenues seem like one of the major reasons for the success of ISIS. Just a question though - who buys the oil?

P.S. Google that and I bet you would either cry yourself hoarse or laugh madly at the Irony - ASSAD who is fighting ISIS - None of this makes sense.

Yeah, your logic is sound and oil revenues seem like one of the major reasons for the success of ISIS. Just a question though - who buys the oil?
The oil is sold in Kurdistan where black market has been a way of life,from there the oil goes to Turkey, and some of it to Iran.
But now that Kurdistan is under USA's vigil, ISIS has deftly switched market: now it uses occupied areas of Syria to sell oil.
Google that and I bet you would either cry yourself hoarse or laugh madly at the Irony - ASSAD who is fighting ISIS - None of this makes sense.
Afaik, Assad depends on Iran and Russia for its fuel needs now.
But most of the ISIS oil is bought by local traders and covers the domestic needs of rebel held areas in northern Syria.

But most of the ISIS oil is bought by local traders and covers the domestic needs of rebel held areas in northern Syria.

It doesn't seem feasible to me. Most these people can offer is barter trade kind of system. Syria has no economy so as to speak off. Currency would be hardly convertible outside of Syria. No access to banking system - Atleast none legally and to an extent illegally with the kind of scrutiny which is present in form of both manual and sophisticated code .

The only logical buyers which could provide resources to ISIS is Turkey but then that is the stuff of conspiracy theories. Iran is against ISIS as they think they are Arab influenced.

This is the reason why I doubted the financial rationale - I could be wrong though and that would be a good thing as we exercise control over it.

Last edited:
@Spectre

I do not think the ISIS qualifies to be an insurgency. It is a long way past that. It is the realignment of nation states and man-made borders per the local ethnic and sectarian lines. Bloodily. Undoing what they feel was done unto them by foreign alien forces.

The fault lines are all over the middle east.

And next is sub-Saharan Africa.

Its played out in India as well.

It is playing out in Pakistan too.

Its easy to make a nation out of nothing. Well, not easy, but easier.

Forging a nation state out of a region and established civilization is a lot more difficult.

Because humans have this pesky habit of not knowing where the line is. Or when they are crossing it.

Its this continuum of humanity, be it language, race, creed, religion, color, custom, food, dress, blood, soil, that is sought to be demarcated neatly by humans by drawing lines on maps.

Some lines are bold and straight (Africa, the Arabian peninsula), so really tortuous (the sub-continent, Burma), but they are all built by man.

And all built fairly recently.

Its sometimes a bit of a pain in the arse to undone with one feel stroke what has been done over millennia.

And so we blunder along.

Till the next bright idea.

Cheers, Doc

@Spectre

I do not think the ISIS qualifies to be an insurgency. It is a long way past that. It is the realignment of nation states and man-made borders per the local ethnic and sectarian lines. Bloodily. Undoing what they feel was done unto them by foreign alien forces.

The fault lines are all over the middle east.

And next is sub-Saharan Africa.

Its played out in India as well.

It is playing out in Pakistan too.

Its easy to make a nation out of nothing. Well, not easy, but easier.

Forging a nation state out of a region and established civilization is a lot more difficult.

Because humans have this pesky habit of not knowing where the line is. Or when they are crossing it.

Its this continuum of humanity, be it language, race, creed, religion, color, custom, food, dress, blood, soil, that is sought to be demarcated neatly by humans by drawing lines on maps.

Some lines are bold and straight (Africa, the Arabian peninsula), so really tortuous (the sub-continent, Burma), but they are all built by man.

And all built fairly recently.

Its sometimes a bit of a pain in the arse to undone with one feel stroke what has been done over millennia.

And so we blunder along.

Till the next bright idea.

Cheers, Doc

I agree they are past normal insurgencies but at it's core they are still acting like insurgents. There is no consolidation happening which is a precursor to some kind of stickiness or permanency. Things are fluid at the moment in their core bastions of Iraq and Syria - The fight is still on and most probably they will suffer the fate of Taliban/Al Quaeda in Afganishtan considering the range of powers of aligned against them albeit with varying interest.

About various fault lines - A part of the reason is that this is the result of their ideology which is attractive as hell to a large audience - the only way to fight it is at grass roots level if we want to defeat ISIS in totality. That should happen concurrently along with police action by international powers but it cannot because major powers are a house divided on how to tackle ISIS and in addition their own house is on Fire with an exception to China which ISIS does not threaten.

The state of play right now is to reduce ISIS to a shadow threat instead of overt one it is now - after that everyone will pull up their boots and go home - hoping that ISIS takes ling time to recover.

Now for the most important point you raised about forces re-forging the boundaries along ethnic and sectarian lines undoing the arbitrarily laid borders by Alien powers:

This is way trickier to address as their is legitimate grievances behind their action to some extent, brute force method can work - but that would require sustained and overwhelming pressure for a period lasting upto 4/5 generations so that in future the rebels are conditioned like mice - play with state and you get a sugar, don't and you get a bullet.

Political solution is very hard to enforce in absence of stability and in presence of vested interests, corrupt and sectarian leaders which come into play.

P.S. Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom