What's new

Investment hotspot: Boom continues in Lahore’s real estate market

Devil Soul

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
LAHORE:
General elections and annual budgets usually put a damper on growth of real estate markets as investors and land purchasers are unsure about upcoming political developments and are uncertain about policies to be adopted in the new budget.

This time seems to be an exception. The real estate market of Lahore, of course with some hiccups, has continued to boom, primarily driven by investment from overseas Pakistanis, victory in elections of what is perceived to be a pro-business political party and an energy crisis forcing people to pull out money from other areas and pump it into real estate, say market people.

Though there are several housing societies in the city offering a luxury lifestyle, people place a lot of trust in army-controlled Defence Housing Authority that has now expanded to 11 phases.

Bahria Town at the other end of the city is also performing quite well, but not like the way DHA is doing. These two major housing schemes have also helped bolster plot prices in adjacent societies.

Like every year, rumours of expected imposition of property tax are doing rounds in the market before the announcement of budget, but surprisingly they have failed to stop the increase in land prices, especially in DHA.

Before general elections on May 11, land prices, however, fell by hundreds of thousands of rupees depending on the plot size and location, but the market recovered quickly after the polls and recorded hefty increases. In some phases of DHA, prices for a plot of one kanal rose by as much as Rs2.5 million.

In DHA, Phase 5 is the most lucrative area where prices for one-kanal plots reached Rs22.5 million compared to Rs18.5 million before elections, a jump of Rs4 million.

In Phase 6, prices have risen by an average of Rs1 million and stand in the range of Rs9.5 to Rs15.5 million. In Phase 7, average increase in prices is Rs0.5 million and one-kanal plot is fetching Rs6.6 to Rs11 million.

Prices in other areas including Johar Town, Wapda Town, Valencia Town, EME, Bahria Town and many more have also recorded an upward march in recent months.

In Bahria Town, average price of a plot of one kanal, which ranged between Rs6.5 and Rs9 million few months ago, is now between Rs8 and Rs12.5 million, a rise of Rs1.5 to Rs3.5 million.

“Price increase is not abnormal and we are not expecting any major drop in property rates in the near future,” says Mian Talat, Chief Executive Officer of Talat Enterprises, a real estate agent.
Genuine buyers, not speculators, are purchasing plots, especially in DHA, which enjoys excellent repute, he says.

Talat agrees that market people are talking about government slapping taxes on property in the upcoming budget, but insists that they are not taking it seriously and continue to purchase land for building homes.

“If a small tax is imposed on property sale and purchase, it will not disturb the market,” he says.
For real estate agents, the newly elected government may be a reason behind the price hike, but there are other factors as well.

“The real estate market during the tenure of previous government was also performing quite well, so you cannot give full marks to the newly elected government for the price hike,” says Waseem Tariq, another real estate agent.

He believes that overseas Pakistanis are pumping money into real estate for safe investment as they do not have more choices. Energy crisis too is forcing many people to withdraw their investments from different sectors and invest in real estate.

He expects the market to not stop here and see more price hikes in coming years primarily due to the interest of bona fide buyers this time.

Published in The Express Tribune, May 29th, 2013.
Like Business on Facebook to stay informed and join in the conversation.

Good side is the fact that investment is coming in

Bad side is the fact that Real Estate market boom will make it difficult for the poor.

Good governance is needed to balance both things

Taxing the investment.. is never heard of.

I would rather tax free every thing... to attract investment. Duffers... learn from wise Arab neighbors before Indians do it.

In some phases of DHA, prices for a plot of one kanal rose by as much as Rs2.5 million.

even a file of phase 9 plot now sells for 4 million rs.

this is so wrong, we are wasting agricultural land, and eventually Lahore would become a problematic city like Karachi, and expensive..

need to define the boundary of the city, and develop agricultural land outside.. our farm house land has being marked by DHA as well, and you know what, its near hair pindi, last considerable pind towards the border.

Good side is the fact that investment is coming in

Bad side is the fact that Real Estate market boom will make it difficult for the poor.

Good governance is needed to balance both things

real estate investment is not investment, its consumption unless done in commercial property.

I would rather tax free every thing... to attract investment. Duffers... learn from wise Arab neighbors before Indians do it.

Tax breaks are given to some industries in some states, but no for real estates. But first time buyers get tax benefit (house loan amount is deductible from taxable income)

But everything is already TAX FREE :omghaha: Dont tell me you pay taxes?

Countries DO tax the amount an individual invests, whether in the stock market or real estate.

Only certain industries are given some sort of tax-credit or waiver for a certain time.

Thəorətic Muslim;4343113 said:
But everything is already TAX FREE :omghaha: Dont tell me you pay taxes?

Countries DO tax the amount an individual invests, whether in the stock market or real estate.

Only certain industries are given some sort of tax-credit or waiver for a certain time.

Why you think i don't pay taxes? for a common man in Pakistan it is not possible to avoid taxes!
This previlage is only for drug dealers and politicians.

Use your head to read my post.. i said investment shall be free of tax... while, other countries offer perks.... like free land / passport etc. in addition to tax exemption.
I think you have no idea of the equation... what could loads foreign investment can do... Shaukat Aziz knew it and he turned Pakistan to worlds best economy.

People here mostly oppose me out of their religious obligation.. and this is some thing i can't help.

real estate business in bahria town is just a gambling one of my friend is doing business there the speed on which plots are circulating in hands work on ground is just zero big example is of sector F bahria town is just a artificial bubble created by 3 to 4 real estate giants of bahria town

real estate business in bahria town is just a gambling one of my friend is doing business there the speed on which plots are circulating in hands work on ground is just zero big example is of sector F bahria town is just a artificial bubble created by 3 to 4 real estate giants of bahria town

thats exactly how the prices have gone up since 2001.

Why you think i don't pay taxes? for a common man in Pakistan it is not possible to avoid taxes!
This previlage is only for drug dealers and politicians.

Use your head to read my post.. i said investment shall be free of tax... while, other countries offer perks.... like free land / passport etc. in addition to tax exemption.
I think you have no idea of the equation... what could loads foreign investment can do... Shaukat Aziz knew it and he turned Pakistan to worlds best economy.

People here mostly oppose me out of their religious obligation.. and this is some thing i can't help.

Its Pakistan.

Investments shall be tax free .. land...passports: Countries offer tax free zones (Free Trade Zones) where goods come in are not taxed, Pakistan has done this with Gwadar, and industrial zones around the country.

Ok, now the question is this. Lets say a factory costs 50 million PKR to make and set up, profits will set in after 3 years. Now, the ___ Ministry wants ___PKR. The _____ Ministry wants ____ PKR. The list goes on.

No matter if the country gives years of tax free incentives no investor will be willing to give away $.

By the way, I could care less about your religion.

Ill advised , focus should be on earth quake resistant sky scrapers and clean up of ghettos and making more modern cities . not building more residential homes taking up land

Ill advised , focus should be on earth quake resistant sky scrapers and clean up of ghettos and making more modern cities . not building more residential homes taking up land

EXACTLY... expanding the city mindlessly has got us here.. see lahore. do we really see if there was any LDA or Corporation that managed built the city? No. :pissed:

Back
Top Bottom