What's new

Investment Analysts Bullish on Pakistan

RiazHaq

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Renewed construction boom in Pakistan has helped the nation's cement producers significantly increase their sales and profits. Year-over-year, income at Lucky Cement, Pakistan's largest producer of building materials, is up 33% while DG Khan Cement, second largest cement company, has quadrupled its profits.

Cement+Charts+Total.jpg

Cement production, an important barometer of national economic activity, was up 8% in 2011-12, according to a research report compiled by a Credit Suisse analyst.

CS analyst Farhan Rizvi says in his report that "higher PSDP (Public Sector Development Program) spending has led to a resurgence in domestic cement demand in FY12 (+8%) and with increased PSDP allocation for FY13 (+19%) and General Elections due in Feb-Mar 2013, domestic demand is likely to remain robust over the next six-nine months".

Ongoing public sector projects include new large and small dams, irrigation canals, power plants, highways, flyovers, airports, seaports, etc. Most of these were already in the pipeline when the PPP government assumed control in 2008. Recent pre-election increases in PSDP funding allowed work to resume on these projects in 2011-12.

Nagan+Chowrangi++Interchange+Karachi.jpg

In addition to public sector infrastructure projects, there is a lot of privately funded real estate development activity visible in all major cities of the country. Big real estate developers like Bahria Town and Habib Construction are developing both commercial and housing projects in Islamabad, Karachi and Lahore. Other cities like Faisalabad, Hyderabad, Larkana, Multan, Mirpur, Peshawar and Quetta are also seeing new housing communities, golf courses, hotels, office complexes, restaurants, shopping malls, etc.

Sheraton+Islamabad+Rendering.jpg

Credit Suisse is bullish on Pakistan's cement sector in particular and Pakistani shares in general.

CS analyst Farhan Rizvi has initiated coverage with "an OVERWEIGHT stance, as we believe compelling valuations, improving domestic demand outlook, better pricing power and easing cost pressures make the sector an attractive investment proposition. Despite better growth prospects (3-year CAGR of 17% over FY12-15E) and improving margins, the sector trades at an attractive FY13E EV/EBITDA of 3.8x, 49% discount to the historical average multiple of 7.4x. Moreover, FY13E EV/tonne of US$74 is approximately 29% discount to historical average EV/tonne of US$104 and 50% discount to the region".

Another CS analyst Farrukh Khan, based in Credit Suisse’ Asia Pacific headquarters in Singapore,says in his research report that “liquidity in 2012 has been concentrated in stocks offering positive earnings surprises (e.g., United Bank, Lucky Cement, DG Khan Cement and Bank Alfalah), enabling them to be strong outperformers. With further improvements in liquidity, we expect a broad-based price discovery to take hold in attractively valued oil and fertilizer stocks as well.”

A string of strong earnings announcements by Karachi Stock Exchange listed companies and the Central Bank's 1.5% rate cut have already helped the KSE-100 index gain 32% in US dollar terms year to date.

Haq's Musings: Credit Suisse Bullish on Pakistan Cement Sector

Let's see: TWO industry analysts from the SAME company are bullish on ONE sector in Pakistan - cement - and the thread reads "Investment Analysts bullish on Pakistan". Misleading, and sadly intentional too.

Yawn. Tell me when FDI actually picks up due to bullish sentiments. That is the litmus test:

from: http://www.atimes.com/atimes/South_Asia/NK01Df01.html

Net foreign direct investment (FDI) in Pakistan plummeted 67% to US$87 million in the July-September period compared with $263 million in the same period last year, according to the country’s central bank. Overall FDI inflow amounted to $287 million, while $200 million left the country, indicating the shattered confidence of foreign investors.

Does that sound bullish to anyone?

Why? No al qaida,no taliban,no terrorism,no mossad trained osama bin laden,no wars,no violence,no instability,no mess,was there in syria, jordan, kashmir, yemen,afghanistan, palestine, iraq, iran ,kuwait, egypt, pakistan,turkey,sham before 911 useless propaganda unsolved mysterious conspiracy theory to provoke wars to invade free states to destroy peace of peaceful world how to divide and rule and capture their resources, oil hunger, getting hold of superpower usa and miss use their economy,media, armed and all other forces ,specially cia ,and their technology,for sure credit goes to zionist jews and their evil minds rather than nobel cunning award should be granted,surprising for all universe a small israel got tight unity rule the nations whatever way they want while big wide huge russia,china, still don't have unity inside.GOD bless this earth to give them rid of parasites living and enjoying peace in heavens and forcing others in hells extreme discrimination why?

Let's see: TWO industry analysts from the SAME company are bullish on ONE sector in Pakistan - cement - and the thread reads "Investment Analysts bullish on Pakistan". Misleading, and sadly intentional too.

Yawn. Tell me when FDI actually picks up due to bullish sentiments. That is the litmus test:

from: Asia Times Online :: Crime bludgeons Karachi business

Going by the economic figures quoted; sounds like Bull actually.

from: Asia Times Online :: Crime bludgeons Karachi business

Please read it again...one analyst's recommendation is specific to the cement companies while the other analyst has a more general recommendation. The second analyst's report is titled "Pakistan Market Strategy".

CS analyst Farrukh Khan, based in Credit Suisse’ Asia Pacific headquarters in Singapore,says in his research report that “liquidity in 2012 has been concentrated in stocks offering positive earnings surprises (e.g., United Bank, Lucky Cement, DG Khan Cement and Bank Alfalah), enabling them to be strong outperformers. With further improvements in liquidity, we expect a broad-based price discovery to take hold in attractively valued oil and fertilizer stocks as well.”

https://www.credit-suisse.com/conferences/aic/2012/doc/web/20120521_pakistan.pdf

Please understand that cement demand is a key barometer of economic activity in any nation....rising construction creates jobs, stimulates economy and spurs demand for a lot of other goods and services.

The bottom line is that KSE-100 has hit new highs just today on bullish sentiments. It's one of the best performing markets in the world, up 32% in US dollar terms this year.

http://www.brecorder.com/top-stories/0/1253313/

Please read it again...one analyst's recommendation is specific to the cement companies while the other analyst has a more general recommendation. The second analyst's report is titled "Pakistan Market Strategy".

CS analyst Farrukh Khan, based in Credit Suisse’ Asia Pacific headquarters in Singapore,says in his research report that “liquidity in 2012 has been concentrated in stocks offering positive earnings surprises (e.g., United Bank, Lucky Cement, DG Khan Cement and Bank Alfalah), enabling them to be strong outperformers. With further improvements in liquidity, we expect a broad-based price discovery to take hold in attractively valued oil and fertilizer stocks as well.”

https://www.credit-suisse.com/conferences/aic/2012/doc/web/20120521_pakistan.pdf

The bottom line is that KSE-100 has hit new highs just today on bullish sentiments. It's one of the best performing markets in the world, up 32% in US dollar terms this year.

Index at highest-ever level of 15,910 points | Business Recorder

Sir, I read your whole post; your conclusions are still misleading.

There is NO widespread bullish sentiment regarding Pakistan's outlook. You have cherry-picked your sources to further your own agenda, which is intellectually dishonest, and deserves to be called out.

If there is optimism, why are there no large scale influxes of investment?

Sir, I read your whole post; your conclusions are still misleading.

There is NO widespread bullish sentiment regarding Pakistan's outlook. You have cherry-picked your sources to further your own agenda, which is intellectually dishonest, and deserves to be called out.

If there is optimism, why are there no large scale influxes of investment?

You need to understand that cement demand is a key barometer of economic activity in any nation....rising construction creates jobs, stimulates economy and spurs demand for a lot of other goods and services.

You have a right to disagree with my conclusions but to challenge my integrity is unacceptable.

You need to understand that cement demand is a key barometer of economic activity in any nation....rising construction creates jobs, stimulates economy and spurs demand for a lot of other goods and services.

You have a right to disagree with my conclusions but to challenge my integrity is unacceptable.

Of course, I understand the importance of cement, and other variables such as cardboard shipments and underwear sales as barometers of economic activity too.

All I am saying that your opinion would be more credible if there were more comprehensive data to support your conclusions, which is not the case at present.

That is all.

BTW, the Greek market is up by 30.6% too, compared to Pakistan's 31.4%. Is that enough to be bullish on Greece's outlook as well?

Of course, I understand the importance of cement, and other variables such as cardboard shipments and underwear sales as barometers of economic activity too.

All I am saying that your opinion would be more credible if there were more comprehensive data to support your conclusions, which is not the case at present.

That is all.

BTW, the Greek market is up by 30.6% too, compared to Pakistan's 31.4%. Is that enough to be bullish on Greece's outlook as well?

Both comparisons, cement with cardboard and Pakistan with Greece, suggest a basic lack of understanding of economics.

First, cement is a basic building material required in large amounts for all sorts of construction, including housing and public works. A classic approach to stimulating economies is to increase spending on public works to generate employment, increase demand for products ad services, etc. That's what's happening in Pakistan with growth of PSDP as the elections approach.

Second, comparing Pakistan with Greece is just plain ridiculous for the following reasons:

1. Greek stock market may have risen 31% this year, but at 890 level, it's less than 20% of its peak of 5000 reached in 2007. Pakistan's KSE-100, on the other hand, it is at 15,910, higher than its last peak reached in 2008.

2. Greek debt is 190% of its GDP while Pakistan's debt is 60% of its GDP.

3. Greek economy shrank by 6.2% last quarter while Pakistan's economy is still growing, albeit slowly.

4. Greece is an aging society while Pakistan has a very young population.

I am not going to lie, business is booming. I have more domestic orders than what i can fulfill. I have made a killing in KSE in the past 2 months, companies are producing massive profits every month. The problem is not business, its bureaucracy and governance. Its the failure of the Government to collect taxes from these profit making companies, that is why our Government is broke. But than again, these politicians are benefiting immensely from these tax rules as their businesses are also booming.

I am not going to lie, business is booming. I have more domestic orders than what i can fulfill. I have made a killing in KSE in the past 2 months, companies are producing massive profits every month. The problem is not business, its bureaucracy and governance. Its the failure of the Government to collect taxes from these profit making companies, that is why our Government is broke. But than again, these politicians are benefiting immensely from these tax rules as their businesses are also booming.

Hows does that mean that the outlook for Pakistan is "bullish"? The outlook for Pakistan is abysmal!

Both comparisons, cement with cardboard and Pakistan with Greece, suggest a basic lack of understanding of economics.

First, cement is a basic building material required in large amounts for all sorts of construction, including housing and public works. A classic approach to stimulating economies is to increase spending on public works to generate employment, increase demand for products ad services, etc. That's what's happening in Pakistan with growth of PSDP as the elections approach.

Second, comparing Pakistan with Greece is just plain ridiculous for the following reasons:

1. Greek stock market may have risen 31% this year, but at 890 level, it's less than 20% of its peak of 5000 reached in 2007. Pakistan's KSE-100, on the other hand, it is at 15,910, higher than its last peak reached in 2008.

2. Greek debt is 190% of its GDP while Pakistan's debt is 60% of its GDP.

3. Greek economy shrank by 6.2% last quarter while Pakistan's economy is still growing, albeit slowly.

4. Greece is an aging society while Pakistan has a very young population.

Again, your conclusion that outlook is "bullish" for Pakistan is patently unjustifiable.

The point is that it takes more than increased cement demand and a 31.6% rise in the stock market to make for a rosy outlook.

======================

from: http://carnegieendowment.org/2012/03/07/economic-outlook-for-pakistan

Pakistan’s economy remains highly vulnerable because of continued security challenges, political uncertainty, and two recent and severe floods. Large fiscal deficits keep inflation high and limit growth, and the outlook for the short and medium term is not good.

====================

This is worth a read too:

http://www.thenews.com.pk/Todays-News-3-119738-Pakistans-economy-continues-to-have-a-grim-outlook

Could the cement sector be booming because of exports to India? Because bullish on cement and good production doesnt mean it is being consumed domestically.

Pakistan produces cement at a much lower cost than India.

India has a massive cement crunch even after being one of the highest cement producing countries of the globe and India is importing cement from Pakistan.

Could the cement sector be booming because of exports to India? Because bullish on cement and good production doesnt mean it is being consumed domestically.

Pakistan produces cement at a much lower cost than India.

India has a massive cement crunch even after being one of the highest cement producing countries of the globe and India is importing cement from Pakistan.

Pak cement exports to India are down 15% but the increase in domestic demand in Pakistan is more than making up for it.

Hows does that mean that the outlook for Pakistan is "bullish"? The outlook for Pakistan is abysmal!

Again, your conclusion that outlook is "bullish" for Pakistan is patently unjustifiable.

The point is that it takes more than increased cement demand and a 31.6% rise in the stock market to make for a rosy outlook.

======================

from: The Economic Outlook for Pakistan - Carnegie Endowment for International Peace

====================

This is worth a read too:

Pakistan

I am not a passive consumer of reports like the ones you have cited. I do my own research and find that detractors of Pakistan and its ruling coalition focus exclusively on the problems and find the glass not just half empty but completely empty.

As someone put it well recently: You tend to hear the worst 5% of Pakistan story 95% of the time.

The fact is that Pakistani society is much more upwardly mobile than most countries of the world, including Pakistan's neighbor India.

Pakistan has continued to offer much greater upward economic and social mobility to its citizens than neighboring India over the last two decades. Since 1990, Pakistan's middle class had expanded by 36.5% and India's by only 12.8%, according to an ADB report titled "Asia's Emerging Middle Class: Past, Present And Future.

Asian+Middle+Class.jpg

Upward mobility in a nation is the best indication of its economic, social and educational opportunity and dynamism.

Haq's Musings: Upwardly Mobile Pakistan on 66th Independence Day

I am not a passive consumer of reports like the ones you have cited. I do my own research and find that detractors of Pakistan and its ruling coalition focus exclusively on the problems and find the glass not just half empty but completely empty.

As someone put it well recently: You tend to hear the worst 5% of Pakistan story 95% of the time.

And neither it is full, or even filling. Your bias prevents you from seeing that, as your posts here show, time and again.

Overall, Pakistani economy is a huge mess, heading from bad to worse, and its social developments indicators are abysmal, and falling.

That is the truth, no matter how you try to whitewash it.

=============================

You neglected to mention these two interesting charts about the future trends in the growth of the middle class in Asia, from your own source:

from: http://www.adb.org/sites/default/files/KI/2010/Special-Chapter-02.pdf

Middle$2 by vcheng552000, on Flickr

Middle$4 by vcheng552000, on Flickr

You base your "conclusion" on past data from 1990 to 2008, and ignoring the future trends out to 2030.

India's middle class is projected to increase about 40% for the $2 and $4 standards, whereas the figures for Pakistan are about 30%, and yet you claim that somehow Pakistan's middle class will do better because of the past two decades.

Cherry pick not, for it is the death of science.

I do agree somewhat with the "upward mobility in a nation is the best indication of its economic, social and educational opportunity and dynamism" though, although you identify the wrong country intentionally.

Back
Top Bottom