What's new

Inshore Patrol Vessel ICGS Rajdhwaj commissioned

anant_s

Reaction score
Country
India
Inshore Patrol Vessel ICGS Rajdhwaj commissioned
20130129Rd650_1.jpg

The Indian Coast Guard Ship Rajdhwaj, 50 meter long Inshore Patrol Vessel (IPV), the 8th in the series of eight IPVs designed and built by M/s Garden Reach Shipbuilders Engineers, Kolkata was commissioned at Chennai by Shri GK Vasan, Union Minister of Shipping. Vice Admiral Anurag G Thapliyal,Director General Indian Coast Guard, Inspector General SP Sharma, Commander Coast Guard Region (East) and other senior dignitaries of the Central and State Government were present on this occasion.

The IPV is equipped with the most advanced and sophisticated navigational and communication sensors and equipment. The ship is propelled to a maximum speed of 31.5 Knots by three MTU 4000 series Diesel engines of 2720 KW capacity at 2100 rpm each, coupled with three 71S2 Rolls Royce Kamewa Jets. At economical speed of 14 Knots, it has an endurance of 1500 nautical miles. The special features of the ship include an Integrated Bridge System (IBS), Integrated Machinery Control System (IMCS), and an indigenously built 30 mm Gun Mount with Fire Control System. The ship is designed to carry one Rigid Inflatable Boat and two Geminis for Search and Rescue, Law Enforcement and Maritime Patrol.

1359478834-indian-navy-launches-a-rajdhwaj-patrol-vessel_1758546.jpg

ICGS “Rajdhwaj”, which is manned by 05 officers and 30 men under the Command of Commandant(JG) VK Parmar will be based at Kakinada under the administrative & operational control of the Commander, Coast Guard District Headquarters No. 6, Visakhapatnam.

1359478844-indian-navy-launches-a-rajdhwaj-patrol-vessel_1758555.jpg

Inshore Patrol Vessel ICGS Rajdhwaj commissioned - Defence and Security of India

A nice small ship ! We need atleast 100 of this kinda ships to keep close track on Indian coast line!

Yes indeed! while a great deal of media focus is on large destroyers and carriers and subs, we often forget that ICG is also an important part of our maritime security and these small ships play a vital role in it.

Yes indeed! while a great deal of media focus is on large destroyers and carriers and subs, we often forget that ICG is also an important part of our maritime security and these small ships play a vital role in it.

U should see the conditions of Coastal police harbours, platforms , Marine police stations and its boats. They are not given importance. Boats are not provided shade covers, drinking waters, advanced bino's, latest weapons etc.! They should be upgraded to highest standards first.!
Only if the mens who operate these ships are well kept, the boat will also be well kept in highest standards.!

U should see the conditions of Coastal police harbours, platforms , Marine police stations and its boats. They are not given importance. Boats are not provided shade covers, drinking waters, advanced bino's, latest weapons etc.! They should be upgraded to highest standards first.!
Only if the mens who operate these ships are well kept, the boat will also be well kept in highest standards.!

Well haven't seen their facilities but as the Mumbai Attacks have shown that ICG need to be on their toes and threat can come in seemingly innocuous forms and from sea too. In this context upgrading fleet and devising new sea patrolling and surveillance methods will go a long way in improving the effectiveness of Coast Guard.

Coastal and Harbor Police come under State Police Forces................ Not under ICG or GoI.
So they will be as good as or as lousy as the normal State Police forces. In some states; there is'nt even enough money provided to buy enough fuel for the Police Patrol Launches; so what are you thinking about weapons and surveillance eqpt.?

Coastal and Harbor Police come under State Police Forces................ Not under ICG or GoI.
So they will be as good as or as lousy as the normal State Police forces. In some states; there is'nt even enough money provided to buy enough fuel for the Police Patrol Launches; so what are you thinking about weapons and surveillance eqpt.?

But I hope u remember before 26/11, Coastal stations maintained by ICG were more or less the same situation. Its just all stations across the country must be upgraded to highest standards.!

So they will be as good as or as lousy as the normal State Police forces.

& if i may add as corrupt as the state police force. For a petty bribe small smugglers can carry off anything under their nose. God forbid, if it was not for Coast Guard, terrorist would sneak in through seas at their will.

That is not quite correct. ICG had very litle assets before 26/11. Now they are getting it all.
Well I simply hope, they get All :)

& if i may add as corrupt as the state police force. For a petty bribe small smugglers can carry off anything under their nose. God forbid, if it was not for Coast Guard, terrorist would sneak in through seas at their will.

No man! Police shall let smugglers in, but at the mention of terrorist, their stance will be different..!! Its the police who know all the local areas, where and when the smugglers, and through terrorist might sneak ! Police do take terrorism seriously!
Their local intelligence is most valuable in tough of times :)

No man! Police shall let smugglers in, but at the mention of terrorist, their stance will be different..!! Its the police who know all the local areas, where and when the smugglers, and through terrorist might sneak ! Police do take terrorism seriously!
Their local intelligence is most valuable in tough of times :)

I didn't put my words correctly (My Bad!)

No i didn't mean Police would let terrorists sneak in for anything but the fact remains that they are not capable to handle such threats as well (Automatic weapons, advanced communications modes etc). Under such circumstances if someone under the guise of being fishermen, local trader etc gets past CG, i wonder if coastal police can do much.

Corruption is a perennial issue; but terrorists also can shake the cops in their shoes. Before the 1992 bombing in Bombay; henchmen of the D-Company landed the arms and explosives in Konkan and Gujrat; with the connivance of both Police and Customs who thought that it was just the usual contraband stuff. They got tried and convicted, now this a scare which will keep them awake.

Corruption is a perennial issue; but terrorists also can shake the cops in their shoes. Before the 1992 bombing in Bombay; henchmen of the D-Company landed the arms and explosives in Konkan and Gujrat; with the connivance of both Police and Customs who thought that it was just the usual contraband stuff. They got tried and convicted, now this a scare which will keep them awake.

A long time back i saw a movie Sarfarosh where the underlying theme was arms smuggling in the country through Thar Desert that eventually ended up with a gang roughly resembling Maoists.
I've since wondered how such sophisticated arms and communication gadgets, explosives get inside the country with BSF, Defence forces, CG all in place. Person guarding the border knows very well that these instruments are eventually used for wagging a war against the country and most tragic loss of life. Perhaps corruption triumphs over conscience as well.

...Why don't we use hovercrafts, the way it is used in other coastal security agencies arounf the world.

...Why don't we use hovercrafts, the way it is used in other coastal security agencies arounf the world.

ICG operate some 6 howercrafts (Griffon GRSE 800TD) and some more are on order.

vsk3.JPG

sxq8.jpg

However other patrol boats and small ships are operated too for varied patrol requirements. Most of these boats are domestically manufactured (L&T, Cochin Shipyard) and are perhaps more cost effective.

Back
Top Bottom