What's new

Infra-Red Search & Track (IRST) Systems

Tempest II

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
We have here and other forums threads discussing radars as primary sensors. However, with LO and VLO planes, IRST systems are getting more and more prominent as plug-and-play pods or as integrated systems that are designed and built as part of the aircraft from the start. Lets look and discuss these here:

I KNOW RELIABLE DATA IS HARD TO COME BY!

PIRATE on the Eurofighter is claimed to pick a fighter at 140km.
317fho8.jpg

A very very great thread wait a day & I will come up with some thing new from Russian systems...

50km for the Rafale's

2i9h7is.jpg

hwbvr9.jpg

vtlhudir4.jpg

The below is from: http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,942.msg49308.html#msg49308
Electro optical systems:
The OSF (Optronique Secteur Frontal) comprises two modules on the aircraft's nose. The right one features an imaging dual-band IRST/FLIR sensor (3 - 6 and 8 - 12 microns) and the left one, aka CIU (Combat Identification Unit) features a 3-D CCD TV camera and a laser range finder.
The IRST provides a +/- 90° azimuth coverage and is capable to detect and track multiple aerial targets simultaneously. The sensor offers a max. detection range of 130 km in best conditions and can act as FLIR providing target images up to ~40 km and nav-images presented on the HuD.
The TV camera offers a max FOV of 60° and a range of ~50 km for single target track and identification. The LRF is effective up to ranges of 33 km.

My personal opinion is for future aircraft. remove Radar and house a Larger and powerful IRST of the size of Radar in a Fibreglass or some kind of optical Radome. specially to intercept Stealth aircrafts from distance. for this purpose Radar guided Missiles will be replaced by long range IR guided missiles.
a smaller size RADAR can be fitted in a small nose right under the nose. Will show you guys my ideology drawing tomorrow.

the newest generation of infrared satellite can provide not just missile detection. But IR intelligence for an entire battle space which is then relayed to the warfighter. However IRST will remain important for those countries on a more limited defense budget.

Here is a demo of the SNIPER XR: ********.com - LM Sniper XR targeting pod demo

I could not here properly but sounded like he said "28 miles" when he was tracking the VIP jet. He then identifies F-16s on the ground at 15 miles.

Watch SNIPER ATP here:
Watch it tracking that F-16 around 1:11.

Last edited by a moderator:
the newest generation of infrared satellite can provide not just missile detection. But IR intelligence for an entire battle space which is then relayed to the warfighter. However IRST will remain important for those countries on a more limited defense budget.

That is very impressive. However what are its limitations? Why is the US still putting money towards IRST units on planes? Could it be that a satellite could give a larger picture without enough detail or if it have to give detail, then it has to focus on a small area? My thinking is that satellites can them be limit with you have a large battle from with a lot happening. ... ...???

Back
Top Bottom