What's new

Indus Valley Civ people diet dominated by beef and other meat, finds study

Even Niraj Rai and Vasant Shinde, government sponsored Hindutva so-called 'researchers', agree!

So what do we have here.. IVC people buried their dead in graves and ate beef.. sounds very Hindu!
I think the beef taboo stemmed from the use of cattle for tilling. For large agrarian societies, cattle were pretty much tractor analogues. How they became holy symbols, however, is an interesting topic worth investigating.
:lol:what?

No, but with the consumption of cow milk. It became awkward that we consume milk of the cow, and then consume its meat. Then the practice was banned altogether. Tilling was mostly with the help of Bulls...
This is proven by well documented research.

Hindus in ancient times (like at IVC time) did eat beef. I confirmed this with liberal Hindu colleagues while discussing Modi and Hindutva.

Prohibition of beef and revering cows is a very recent phenomenon, probably established on the behalf of Purohits and Brahmins by shortage of bulls needed for draft animal and tillage use.

Why would people who identify with the symbol of lion 🦁 stop eating cow 🐄.
Śramaṇa - Wikipedia
Śramaṇa (Sanskrit: श्रमण; Pali: samaṇa, Tamil: Samanam) means "one who labours, toils, or exerts themselves (for some higher or religious purpose)"[1][2] or "seeker, one who performs acts of austerity, ascetic".[3] During its later semantic development, the term came to refer to several non-Brahmanical ascetic movements parallel to but separate from the Vedic religion.[4][5][6] The Śramaṇa tradition includes Jainism,[7] Buddhism,[8] and others such as the Ājīvika, Ajñanas and Cārvākas.[9][10]

The śramaṇa movements arose in the same circles of mendicants from greater Magadha that led to the development of yogic practices,[11] as well as the popular concepts in all major Indian religions such as saṃsāra (the cycle of birth and death) and moksha (liberation from that cycle).[12][note 1]

The Śramaṇic traditions have a diverse range of beliefs, ranging from accepting or denying the concept of soul, fatalism to free will, idealization of extreme asceticism to that of family life, wearing dress to complete nudity in daily social life, strict ahimsa (non-violence) and vegetarianism to permissibility of violence and meat-eating.[13][14]
The Great Atheist Revolt | Nirmukta
By 600 B.C.E. a great intellectual ferment was brewing across the Indo-Gangetic plain the likes of which India has not seen since. Countless different Kshatriya-inspired philosophies sprang up from the agitated intellect of the Indo-Gangetic Civilization. During this period (900-500 B.C.E), thousands of wandering sophists, known as Parivrajaka, crisscrossed the country questioning anything and everything, including the doctrines of the Gunas and Karma, the Vedas, Vedic sacrificial rites, animal sacrifices, Varna Dharma, and supremacy of Brahmins. They engaged each other in robust public debates on every topic on earth. They challenged their adversaries to either win them over in debate or to follow them. These ‘argumentative Indians‘ came to be known as ‘ ‘Hair splitters’ or ‘Eel wigglers.’ The public halls all over Aryavarta were packed with curious people eager to learn and experiment with new ideas to cope with life’s vicissitudes. New Age Philosophies thrived everywhere. They were all sick and tired of Brahmanism’s remedy for every problem in the world: Perform sacrifices!
The concern for vegetarianism was born out of defying the age-old Brahminical order of conducting large scale animal sacrifices (Yagna) to please the Gods (by feeding/pleasing Brahmins). Post Brahminical consolidation was a vibrant period of Indo-Gangetic plains. Non-Brahminical castes were certainly unhappy with the practices of Brahmins and thus began the churning of various Heterodox sects all over Indo-gangetic plains - from Upanishadas (Pantheistic Monists) to Bhagvatas (Henotheists/Cultists) to Carvakas (Existential materialists) to Jainism (yup, that modern sect/religion) and many more. And they began to get support in second most powerful caste group - Kshatriyas. Ashoka's conversion was the final nail in the coffin for Brahmins and they desperately sought any method that may ensure their return in power. The Hinduism we see today is the result of that struggle, Brahmins rather than outright destroying every other Heterodox sect responded by assimilating/infiltrating them. Vegetarianism was part of that re-assimilation and Brahmins being the protectors of the Dharma they claimed to be became the most rigid vegetarians.

Who were the Bharatas ?
Intial Aryan migration was into the modern Punjab region which coincided with the decline of IVC then they went onto migrate east clearing out the jungles/assimilating older settlements but the newly arrived Aryans were not able to establish a working state due to internal tribal feuds and probably due to nomadic lifestyle. The Aryans sedentarized gradually, still divided between various small tribes and factions. This culminated into a grand battle called Battle of the Ten Kings mentioned in the Rigveda, oldest written text of the subcontinent. The end of result of the battle was the domination of other tribes by one tribe - that tribe was Bharatas, they established the first Aryan state in modern day Haryana-western UP. They codified the Rigveda itself, the oldest Hindu text, they codified the various Shrauta rituals thus they codified Vedic religion itself including the caste system. They were basically the cultural (and ethnic?) progenitors of subsequent Indian civilizations. They were also the basis of later Mahabharata legend in which the last surviving Pandava - Parikshit, is the first attested Kuru King. And they obviously lend their name to the modern republic of India.

You are talking about some f*cked up minds in Hindutva, full of delusional traditions, stories and BS. The most hilarious are recent claims by Hindutva idiots of Vedic scientific achievements three/four thousand years ago like space/air travel, plastic surgery and test-tube fertilization. Made themselves a laughing stock in front of the whole world.

Bhakts are trying to combine the idea of identifying on one hand with a lion, a raw-meat-eating carnivore (and its "supposed assigned nobility" as a Hindu symbol of ancient India, reality notwithstanding) and the delusional idea of some animal (a cow) being superior to humans and putting it on a pedestal to be worshipped, just because its (ahem) "products" are useful to some. Well a dozen holy men and Sadhus said it, so it must be true.

I don't mean any offense to devout Hindus as a group, people can believe what they want, and I just expressed my opinion.

This is why Hindutva extremism detracts reasonable people as doubters and even conversions to other religions (which they are trying "as all get out" - to stop, even by illegal hook or crook nowadays in India using mob violence).

While you try to convert a Muslim person and see how far you get.

Islam (in actuality) sees very little proselytization in India, despite what bhakts claim. No one is trying to "X"-Jihad or hyphenate-Jihad anything....
Exactly. Since when did Lion become pure Vegetarian, not even eating egg! I know my ancestry. We are not Aryan. To me, there is no doubt the Kshatriya Deva originated in Ur, Sumeria. If you see my Dad and his Dad you won't immediately think they are Bihari, but they are original Bihari, no one is prouder Bihari than them. It's their blood identity and so is Hindustani which is shared with the original Aryan.

This is fun. Deva literally means god. Sharif is Arabic, dont care how it originated as it has nothing to do with Sanskrit.
Told ya, you are not up to the mark on linguistics, you want to stop embarrassing yourself further?

The Sanskrit word for Noble is in fact Arya😂
Arya does not mean noble and does not carry that meaning in Europe or in Central Asia. It acquired that meaning from the Deva in India and in Iran. Zoroastrianism actually considers Deva to be evil. The Deva/Sharif in Iran must have opposed their corruption.

These guys don't even know what some simple etymologies mean and you're quoting them Sramana movement. :-) Well....
PDF wants to discuss history all the time but everyone here will get an F in a real exam because they can't even bother to check basic terminologies.

Arya does not mean noble and does not carry that meaning in Europe or in Central Asia. It acquired that meaning from the Deva in India and in Iran. Zoroastrianism actually considers Deva to be evil. The Deva/Sharif in Iran must have opposed their corruption.
Well tough luck, we are not talking about Modern Europeans. Arya first appeared in Sanskrit and is best described as vedic people. And neither are we talking about Zoroastrianism. And if you take Zoroastrians as a point then Deva must be Evil folks and not Noble fellows.

Here is my theory, Sharif actually comes from British English Sheriff meaning chief of cops/Police ya know those fat dudes with guns.

Well tough luck, we are not talking about Modern Europeans. Arya first appeared in Sanskrit and is best described as vedic people. And neither are we talking about Zoroastrianism. And if you take Zoroastrians as a point then Deva must be Evil folks and not Noble fellows.

Here is my theory, Sharif actually comes from British English Sheriff meaning chief of cops/Police ya know those fat dudes with guns.
Sheriff/Sharif is Arabic/English which originated from Sumerian. Indian Aryan is a small part of the larger global Aryan community. Arya does not mean noble in the larger community because it's a race based name. By the way you are Scythian.

Sheriff/Sharif is Arabic/English which originated from Sumerian. Indian Aryan is a small part of the larger global Aryan community. Arya does not mean noble in the larger community because it's a race based name. By the way you are Scythian.
Global Aryan community? 🤣 Doesn't exist. Hitler misappropriated the term and hijacked the symbol with the help of German Indologists. The original meaning of Arya as per Sanskrit texts is simply Noble.

I'm not Scythian, or maybe I am. No way to know for sure.

Global Aryan community? 🤣 Doesn't exist. Hitler misappropriated the term and hijacked the symbol with the help of German Indologists. The original meaning of Arya as per Sanskrit texts is simply Noble.

I'm not Scythian, or maybe I am. No way to know for sure.
Wikipedia, Swastika:
"In the Western world, it was a symbol of auspiciousness and good luck until the 1930s[4] when the right-facing tilted form became a feature of Nazi symbolism as an emblem of the Aryan race."

Many Europeans obviously had that identity [or carried it with them], but it wasn't as prominent and public until Hitler made it.

You need to be specific and identify who you are. Who are you? Are you a Mallu?
I am not mallu. Why do you think that?
At least check your sources. From the article that wiki has as its source for this statement.
Early Western travellers to Asia were inspired by its positive and ancient associations and started using it back home. By the beginning of the 20th Century there was a huge fad for the swastika as a benign good luck symbol.
In his book The Swastika: Symbol Beyond Redemption? US graphic design writer Steven Heller shows how it was enthusiastically adopted in the West as an architectural motif, on advertising and product design.
Man, they got it from Asia.
How the world loved the swastika - until Hitler stole it - BBC News

Back
Top Bottom