What's new

Indonesia ranks among most religious countries in Pew study

You are wasting your time. Almost everyone here only reads the headline.

The headline is true since Indonesia see religion, believing in God, and praying as very important. Look at the fourth paragraph.

"Most Indonesians also deemed religion, God and prayer to be an important part of their lives, at respectively 98 percent, 91 percent and 95 percent of respondents."

Someone like me, who believes in God, would answer the poll question "No" because I believe that many people who are atheists or agnostics, or who believe in non-Abrahamic faiths, are nonetheless moral people. The poll measures tolerance for non-Abrahamic moral values systems, not the religiosity of the polled person's nation.

That's right. I don't believe that you need a religion to be moral.

Abrahamic faiths are generally more dogmatic in their beliefs.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/youth-in-singapore-shunning-religion

Reverend Father Jude David, co-chaplain of the Catholic Church's Office for Young People, believes that without religion "Singapore would certainly lose a part of her soul or spirit".

Reverend Dominic Yeo, the general superintendent of the Assemblies of God of Singapore, agreed. He said religion teaches its followers to be moral, adding: "We need to guard our nation, our children and the next generation against moral decadence."

Others are concerned about solidarity in households where the parents or grandparents are deeply religious. NUS sociologist Paulin Straughan said disparities in religious ideology could result in intergenerational fault lines and a widening gap "because religion, when it is functional, pulls families together".

Ultimately, the consensus among the various groups is for the need for more dialogue to understand "mutual concerns and find ways to negotiate potential tensions", said Dr Mathews. They said this should be backed by more research to understand the specific make-up of Singapore's non-religious segment.

Communication channels already exist. For instance, the Humanist Society - set up to represent Singapore's non-religious population - has been involved in discussions organised by the Inter-Religious Organisation of Singapore and the Inter-Racial and Religious Confidence Circles.

Executive committee member Pearl Lin said the society's role is to provide a voice for the non-religious, whom she said tend to be excluded and forgotten.

But the Buddhist Federation's Venerable Seck is not worried about the growing pool of non-religious Singaporeans. To him, good values and morals are more important.

He said: "As long as there is moral education and the ability to differentiate between what is right and wrong, there will always be common ground among the religious and non-religious."

So being Jew means belonging to a certain race/ethnicity/nation etc. It has nothing to do with following a religion? or can you follow Judaism without believing in God? I'm asking because I want to know how this works.
To understand my point I will give you an example. From the POV of Islam if someone says they do not believe in God they are not Muslim. They can be Arab, Bengali, Turk, Afghan etc. but not Muslim.
Jew is first of all a nation.

Jew is first of all a nation.

Why don't you explain the difference between being "Jewish" in, for example, the USA, and being an Israeli in Israel who believes in, for example, the Druze faith? "Jew" does not equal Israeli and "Israeli" does not equal Jew.

Religion is a foundation of morality...once you take that foundation away (how Westerners do) there is a slow multi-generational process of degeneration of society.

No surprise that today all those Western countries have highest divorce rate in the world and lowest fertility rate and import millions of migrants every year.

According to Pew by 2070 Islam will become the largest religion in the world--(by the time of total moral degeneration of the West)
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/01/islam-will-largest-religion-world-2070-says-report/

Last edited:
What stupidity is this? Only one question that u believe in God or not can tell u r religious or not hahaha:woot:
And BTW one should be proud of being religious as it says that humanity is still alive due to religions only if followed in true sense. :-)

What stupidity is this? Only one question that u believe in God or not can tell u r religious or not hahaha:woot:
And BTW one should be proud of being religious as it says that humanity is still alive due to religions only if followed in true sense. :-)

Look at the fourth paragraph of the article

"Most Indonesians also deemed religion, God and prayer to be an important part of their lives, at respectively 98 percent, 91 percent and 95 percent of respondents."

Back
Top Bottom