What's new

Indonesia Maritime defence and security issue

Indonesia will not tolerate slavery in fishery sector: Minister

REPUBLIKA.CO.ID, BANDUNG -- Indonesian Minister of Fisheries and Marine Resources Susi Pudjiastuti said she was strongly opposed to the slavery of crew members of ships in the fishery sector in the country.

The minister also affirmed that she was committed to taking firm measures against companies found involved in the practice.

"Eradicating illegal, unreported and unregulated (IUU) fishing has been the focus of our government. Since becoming a minister, I have said that IUU fishing has been used as a means to commit other crimes, including the smuggling of narcotic drugs, human trafficking and slavery," she noted, in connection with her working visit to Pangandaran district in West Java, in a press statement from her office received by Antara here on Saturday.

If Indonesia could eradicate IUU fishing, it would contribute to the eradication of other crimes, as well, she pointed out.

"The Ministry of Fisheries and Marine Resources will freeze the licenses of companies (involved in the crimes) and revoke them if violations of laws are proven," she emphasized.

Pudjiastuti added that her ministry would also coordinate with and ask other law enforcement agencies and government institutions concerned to help enforce the law and maintain the country's sovereignty over its sea territory.

"I hope the police and local governments will ensure the settlement of situations like the Benjina case. I express my appreciation to the Foreign Affairs Ministry, especially the Indonesian ambassador in Bangkok who specially monitored the development of the case in Thailand," she remarked.

Indonesia will not tolerate slavery in fishery sector: Minister - en.republika.co.id - Aktu.al

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pusaka Benjina’s Permit Revoked

Maritime and Fishery Minister, Susi Pudjiastuti, finally revokes fishery business permit (SIUP) of PT Pusaka Benjina Resources allegedly conducting vessel crew slavery practice.

Susi is not aware with Investment Coordinating Board (BKPM) intending not to revoke the SIUP of the company located in Benjina, Aru Islands, Maluku.

Susi said her office plans to revoke the SIUP of Pusaka Benjina Resources (PBR) together with the revoke of investment principal permit in BKPM. However, he regretted BKPM has not revoked the principal permit.

“Today [4/29], we have revoked the permit. We have been waiting for BKPM to revoke it together but it has not allowed it so we revoke it ourselves,” she said in front of 200 fishery overseers in Indonesia nationwide on Wednesday (4/29).

Prior to that, KKP has also revoked fishing permit (SIPI) and fish freight permit (SIKPI) of all PBR’s vessels. Anti Illegal Fishing Task Force’s data reveals that PBR has 96 fishing vessel and 5 fish freight vessels.

PBR’s SIUP revoke, she said, is based on strong evidence over the violations it has conducted related with illegal fishing and vandalism. The company operated in Benjina Island, Aru Islands, Maluku is proven to conduct slavery practice to its vessel crews.

Moreover, analysis and evaluation of Anti Illegal Fishing Task Force find several violations such as its financial flows strongly indicated to come from Thailand, the company only acting as fishery business permit middleman, vessel document forgery, fish processing unit (UPI) dysfunction, and unreported fish catch.

PBR is a fishing company with foreign investment (PMA) status. This company has started its operation in Indonesia since 2007 after replacing the ownership of Djayanti Group.

In BKPM, PBR is recorded as PMA from British Virgin Island not from Thailand. However, Anti Illegal Fishing Task Force believed this company is related to Thailand. Moreover, PBR vessels used to be owned by three Thai fishery companies namely Silver Sea Fishery, Thai Hong Huad, and Ocean Research Fishery.

Since it is owned by PBR, those Thai vessels are renamed as KM Antasena. The company has three subsidiaries namely PT Pusaka Benjina Armada, PT Pusaka Benjina Nusantara, and PT Pusaka Bahari. With PBR’s SIUP revoke, the three subsidiaries cannot be operated.

Pusaka Benjina’s Permit Revoked Nusantara Maritime News

Indonesia vows to end illegal fishing, slavery in its waters

Indonesia’s new government, which came into power in October last year, is taking a very hard line with both illegal, unreported and unregulated fishing (IUU) and slavery as part of its commitment to preserving the country’s marine resources and avoiding any illegal practices within its fisheries...

Since the Southeast Asian country’s president, Joko Widodo, announced a policy to combat IUU in November, a number of steps have been taken to “break down illegal fishing,” such as running checks on the larger domestic and foreign vessels and the co-operations that exist, said Hutagalung.

Through its IUU crackdown, the Indonesian government recently discovered cases of slavery, involving some 2,257 foreign crewmembers. To date, 400 crew have been evacuated for their own safety to their home countries of Burma, Cambodia and Laos with the help of the International Organization for Migrants (IOM) and institutes of human rights. A new legal process is underway to deal with the rest.

“This really opened our eyes. But the government has reacted very quickly to tackle the problem. The president created two task forces on 8 April, one for combating IUU fishing, the other to handle slavery issues, to escalate the seriousness of the problems," he said.

Slavery shouldn’t happen anywhere, it’s against humanity and it’s totally unacceptable. Our government is very serious about ending it and IUU fishing.”

This is the kind of article that I have problem with, and it uses the same kind of argument that you and madfc have used in the other thread. Basically, the article is spinning the fishing slavery issue as a recent discovery and that "it really opened their eyes". The truth is, it was a well known issue for over a decade. Even the US State department have issued a report on it back in 2011. If your current govt genuinely didn't know about, it would just mean that they are incompetent. But mostly likely they knew about it, but turned a blind eye instead of doing something about it.

Your reply was that they have only been in power last October and couldn't deal with it immediately because they had to deal with other early administration work. But your govt announced the policy against IUU in November, so that means they've already finished enough admin tasks in order to issue out new policies by November. So why didn't they issue an anti-slavery policy together with the anti-IUU policy back in November? they didn't even mention anything about fishing slavery last year did they? so they knew about it, but ignored the issue and didn't do anything about it. Now your govt/media is trying to spin this issue as a new discovery. If they really didn't know about it before, it just means that they were incompetent because various NGO and foreign govt has issued report on it for years.

Also in this article, one of your minister said, "Slavery shouldn't happen anywhere... our govt is very serious in ending it...". So have your govt spoken up against South Korea and other countries about the enslavement of Indonesian fishery workers? Their fishing operations are global and is much bigger than the ones happening inside your EEZ. All the articles you've posted only talks about the slavery and IUU issues inside your EEZ. None of the articles mention anything about your govt confronting SK for the slavery issue that involves your Indonesian workers on a global scale.

It's really no use to questioning the motive of Indonesian Government. What's really matter is what Indonesian Government do to answer and resolve this long overdue issue.

Before we continue further, it's critical to understand that Indonesia currently have a New Government in place after 10 years of SBY administration. A relatively peaceful admnistration with strong democratization process and had achieved fundamental economic development. By that time Indonesia already enter G20 group, and world bank announced Indonesia as the 10th largest economy in the world (based on PPP). Yet Indonesian people demand more decisive leadership with hands-on approch to solve various remaining problem in Indonesia.

The new president was inagureated on 20 Oktober 2014 and he inagurated his ministers on 27 Oktober 2014. Some of the ministrial position are new, so they have to resolve some administrative work and do some internal reorganization before they can work effectively. One ministrial position that related to this issue is Ministry of Maritime Coordinator. At that time, this ministry don't even have office to work, and don't have any employee either.

So, it's very wrong to assume that the new Government can immediately implement their policy once the president inagureted.

Like I said above, your govt was able to implement the anti-IUU policy back in November, why didn't they also implement an anti-slavery policy back then? The least they could do was to speak up about it,but they didn't.

From this academic report, we can see that slavery issue had already plague the fishing industry in ASEAN from around 1990. Foreign Government, despide their voice to condemn the alleged slavery issue, they keep buying and enjoying the fresh supply of fish without even notifying their customer and keep enjoying the hefty profit they made. Their mouth keep condeming and eating at the same time. Hypocrisy at the highest order.

Part of why this complication could happened, was because there was no to little evidance, and no interest at the higher level of political elite that can move the resource and power to stop this evil practice. They don't really care as long as their fresh supply of fish keep coming to their table. They act all high and noble when the reality said otherwise.

For the untrained mind, they can say and argue that the foreign Government can do nothing to deal with this situation, when the reality is they have the power to push reform of the fishing industry that become their supplier. They can put BAN on this fishery industry that utilized slave worker to power up their fishing industry. Just like recent threat to BAN Thailand fishing industry from supplying EU fish market.

But why oh why, they choose to act now, when they already knew this reality tens year ago? They even already made few publication with some little evidence here and there. Why don't they put BAN on this evil fishing industry long ago? such Irony....

I don't know why you're talking about this, I'm not here to defend foreign countries or companies. And no, they are not angels. That's why I mentioned in my previous posts that it is only up to the govt of the victims (Indonesia and other ASEAN) and the govt of the perpetrators (from mostly South Korea and Taiwan) that can solve this issue.

So my question remains... has Indonesia spoken up against SK about their fishery industry enslaving Indonesian workers in international waters and foreign EEZ?

Part of why this complication could happened, was because there was no to little evidance,

This is simply wrong. There are plenty of evidences available. Various NGO have investigated it. Foreign govt like NZ and US have raised the issue and published reports on it. What more evidence could you possibly want? Even the South Korean govt opened their own investigation and concluded that slavery like operations and seeexual assaults are common in their fishing industry. But the SK govt allows its fishing industry to use legal loopholes to escape from punishment and continue to practice the slavery operations. That's why I've always said, it can only be solved if the Indonesian govt confront the SK govt on the issue. But I don't see them doing so, despite the tough talks.

What use is words, when we are already seeing stern action being shown today by current Indonesian Government to tackle this issue. What use is few publication if that can't even made EU to put BAN on Thailand or Vietnam, or other fishing industry in ASEAN for utilizing slave worker in their fishery industry since 1990? Maybe, that can give such a good feeling because you already voice your concern, but that won't bring you anywhere. Words won't bring you anywhere. But stern action bring you somewhere. Bring you closer your destination. bring you closer to your goals.

Once the new Indonesian Government with the new maritime vision show some tough act toward illegal fishing practice on Indonesian water, all the silenced and covered evil reality once again resurfaced and gaining forceful momentum. Why, because it's backed and supported by the political will of the highest order. By the president and the ministry themselves. They have resource and power to stop whatever evil practice that has long entangled Indonesia, ASEAN and it's neighboor fishery industry. They have the power and they have the political will to deal with the issue.

OK those are very strong and confident words about your current govt. So tell me, have they confronted South Korea yet? Don't tell me your govt still need to do some other admin tasks.

That's because those ASEAN countries have no balls, they have no vision, thay have no resources and power to deal with the said countries. But Indonesia is the Giant of South East Asia. We are big, we are powerful, we have abundant resources, and today we have visionary leadership that will smack and slap anyone in their face if they try to disturb our national interest.

Susi: Four Poachers Hide in Taiwan | Economy & Business | Tempo.Co :: Indonesian News Portal
Fisheries Agency hopes Indonesia will not ban Taiwan fishing boats - The China Post
NPF News Website
Taiwan hopes Indonesia will not ban Taiwanese fishing boats | Politics | FOCUS TAIWAN - CNA ENGLISH NEWS
Radio Taiwan International | News | Taiwan representative in talks with Indonesia on illegal Taiwanese fishing operations

Again, very tough and confident words about your country. Not bad, I just hope you can back it up. You said those other ASEAN countries are weak and have no balls, no vision, etc. while Im arguing that your country is just acting the same in ignoring the issue of foreign countries like SK enslaving your poor Indonesian fishing workers. If you disagree then prove me wrong, I would be happy if a ASEAN country finally speak up against foreign countries like SK about this issue.

I haven't read anything about your current govt doing so. Even those articles about Taiwan, it only deals with Taiwanese fishing boats poaching in your EEZ, it does not say anything about your govt raising the issue of Indonesian workers getting enslaved by Taiwanese trawlers in international waters, which are part of a much bigger operation than the ones happening inside your EEZ.

since when i said i hate NGO? what i hate is human rights promoter

are human right promoter is NGO?

hell no, there is so many kind NGO in this world

human right promoter is kind of bullshit people, and full of hypocrisy just like you who twisting other people words

NGO just means an organisation that doesn't belong to any government (Non-Governmental Organization) . So there should be no problem for me to say that you hate "human rights NGO". I didnt say you hate all NGO, I specifically said "human rights NGO".

Indonesian Navy Seizes Illegal Fishing Boats Of Malaysia And Thailand
ilegal.jpg

ilegal.jpg

kapal2.jpg

kapal3.jpg

Fishermen Supports Foreign Access Closure to Indonesian Fisheries

The Indonesian Traditional Fishermen Union (KNTI) expressed its full support for the plan to close foreign access to the Indonesian fisheries initiated by Maritime Affairs and Fisheries Minister Susi Pudjiastuti.
“The risk is too big to give up the fisheries upstream industry,” KNTI chairman Riza Damanik told Tempo on Friday, April 24, 2015.

Riza said giving up the access to fisheries would shut down the employment opportunity for the people to participate in the fisheries industry. In addition, supervising foreign ships is a costly herculean task since Indonesia’s water is vast. Riza hopes that the fisheries upstream industry can be managed by Indonesia within five years ahead.

Riza also asked the government to limit foreign participation in the downstream industry. The government must also ensure that foreign companies would transfer their technology instead of employing Indonesian people and managing the resources.

Riza also expected that Susi’s initiation would be set forth in the Ministry’s strategic plan for 2015-2019 to ensure Indonesia’s fisheries growth.

Fishermen Supports Foreign Access Closure to Indonesian Fisheries | Economy & Business | Tempo.Co :: Indonesian News Portal

Last edited:
Indonesia nabs two M’sian fishing vessels
Shane Fuentes
| May 2, 2015
The Malaysian vessels, along with three others from Thailand, allegedly masked themselves as from Indonesia.

KUALA LUMPUR: The KRI Kapitan Pattimura, an Indonesian navy ship, on Thursday nabbed five foreign vessels for fishing in Indonesian waters close to the Indonesia-Malaysia maritime sea border. Three of the vessels detained and arrested were apparently from Thailand, the other two from Malaysia.

All of them reportedly masked themselves as Indonesian-flagged vessels but allegedly had no documents to prove their local status, according to Kompas.

The vessels have been detained since Friday at the Indonesian naval base in Pontianak, West Kalimantan. In all a total of 62 Thai and Malaysian nationals were on board the detained vessels. They are being held for further investigations.

According to initial reports from local fishermen in the waters where the five vessels were spotted by the Indonesian navy, the foreigners were trawling in the prohibited area. Although trawling today is heavily regulated in some nations, it remains the target of many protests by environmentalists. Environmental concerns related to trawling refer to two areas: the lack of selectivity and the physical damage which the trawl does to the seabed.

The Commandant of the KRI Kapitan Pattimura, Naval Lieutenant Colonel Fajar Herawan, has also confirmed that the five foreign vessels were caught fishing illegally in Indonesian waters. The suspect vessels, according to him, tried to flee towards Malaysian waters the moment that they were spotted, but their efforts proved futile when the Indonesian navy ship managed to cut off their attempt to escape. “Many types of fish, found in local waters, were on board the five vessels,” said Herawan.

Also found were many foreign flags aboard the ships. Apparently, the flags used by the detained vessels depended on which country’s waters they wanted to enter and fish illegally.

Indonesia nabs two M’sian fishing vessels | Free Malaysia Today

Govt: Indonesia Has Opportunities to Boost Fish Exports to Europe

TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - Saut Hutagalung, Director General of Fishery Product Processing and Marketing of the Minister of Maritime Affairs and Fisheries, said that Indonesia has a big opportunity to boost fish exports to the European market.

He said the opportunity came after Indonesia showed its serious commitment to fight against illegal fishing.

"Europe has shifted its fish demand from Thailand to Indonesia,” Saut said on Thursday.

According to Saut, European countries highly appreciate measures that the Indonesian government has made to enforce the law in the fisheries sector.

"This is what has made the demand for dish has drastically increased,” he added.

He also said countries that have turned to Indonesia for fish supply include the United States, Spain, Italy, England, Japan, and China.

"Although American and European economies are experiencing slowdown, the demands for certain fisheries products such as marline fish and mecca remain big,” Saut said.

Indonesia Newsstand | Govt: Indonesia Has Opportunities to Boost Fish Exports to Europe

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Region should catch slave ships

Thailand's agriculture minister, Pitipong Phuengboon Na Ayudhaya, said on April 22 that the country risked losing nearly US$1 billion a year if the European Union made good on a threat to ban fish imports from the kingdom unless it did more to halt illegal fishing.

Thailand has just signed an agreement with Indonesia to form a joint taskforce to control illegal fishing. Activists say thousands of workers from Southeast Asia are being exploited as slave labourers in the lucrative cross-border trade. Thai companies have been linked to shadowy fishing operations in Indonesia, a bountiful hunting ground for the black-market industry.

Many firms are suspected of enslaving foreign fishermen, hundreds of whom were returned home earlier this month after being discovered by the Indonesian authorities, neglected on islands in the country’s remote east. The use of slave labour in the fishing industry was highlighted recently after Indonesian company Pusaka Benjina Resources was accused of mistreating and abusing fishermen in eastern Indonesia. Fishermen from Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar and Thailand were among those said to have been forced to trawl. Indonesian President Joko Widodo and Thai Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha agreed to cooperate more closely during a meeting on the sidelines of a conference in Jakarta.

But it is not only an issue for Indonesia and Thailand to co-operate against the enslavement of thousands of fishermen from Southeast Asia, but also an affair for Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar as their citizens are being enslaved. It is also a concern for any country if it encounters illegal fishing in its waters.

Illegal fishing is an issue to be handled by all Southeast Asian countries, including Myanmar.

Region should catch slave ships - The Nation

Last edited:
3 Malaysian Flag illegal Fishing Boats Captured around Karang Unarang Water, Ambalat (2/5/15)

ilegal.jpg

KM Virgo, 2nd tanker ship try to smugle fuel captured (30/4/15)

virgo.jpg

3 Philippine boats captured (3/5/15)
phil.jpg

2 Vietnamese illegal fishing boats and 1 thai illegal fishing boat captured (30/4/15 & 2/5/15)
viet.jpg

Last edited:
PHL Agriculture Secretary Meets with Indonesian Minister of Maritime and Fisheries Affairs

jakarta_FISH.jpg

05 May 2015 – Philippine Agriculture Secretary Proceso Alcala met Indonesian Minister of Maritime and Fisheries Affairs Susi Pudjiastuti on April 21 in Jakarta. Secretary Alcala attended the Grow Asia Forum and World Economic Forum held in Jakarta from April 19 to 21.

The two Ministers exchanged views on sustainable and responsible fisheries management between Indonesia and Philippines.

The two sides agreed to form a technical working group to promote cooperation in combating illegal, unreported, and unregulated fishing practices (IUUF), addressing issues on fishing moratorium policy in Indonesia, coastal management, and sharing of marine information and data.

Secretary Alcala and Minister Pudjiastuti agreed to work closely together to ensure robust economic partnership between the Philippines and Indonesia.

Request Rejected

Will Indonesia going to acquire some old AShMs from other operators for Cheap to use against these boats?

Are u kidding? we use detonator to blow up and sink this boats. Missile is expensive. Why spend unecessary cost when we can use cheap detonator.

We use missile to scare naval intruder, not fishing boats. :D

Ministry Finds Serious Violations by 42 Fishing Companies

The Maritime Affairs and Fisheries Ministry's anti-illegal fishing task force has completed the analysis and evaluation of 1,132 ex-foreign ships belonging to 187 companies with business licenses. Based on the evaluation, the task force recommends that the government revoke the licenses of 42 companies for having committed serious violations.

The violations include operating non-Indonesian vessels, having almost 100 percent foreign crew, and practicing forced labor against the crew.

Some of the companies include PT Pusaka Benjina Resources' subsidiaries PT Pusaka Bahari, PT Pusaka Benjina Armada, and PT Pusaka Benjian Nusantara. There are also companies from the PT Dwiakarya Reksa Abadi group: PT Avona Mina Lestari, PT Aru Samudra Lestari, and PT Hansen Mina Jaya.

The task force's chief Mas Ahmad Santosa told Tempo yesterday that administrative sanctions will be imposed, including the revocation of fishing license (SIPI) and fish-loading permit (SIKPI).

Minister of Maritime Susi Pudjiastuti said the office had received the recommendation to revoke said licenses. She said the ministry will also process companies that are implicated in criminal allegations.

In addition to the 42 companies whose licenses could be revoked, the task force also banned 907 ex-foreign ships from sailing, as they have no warrant for operation and have been proven to turn off their vessel monitoring system (VMS).

Ministry Finds Serious Violations by 42 Fishing Companies | Economy & Business | Tempo.Co :: Indonesian News Portal

Now this is really something also a move against reflagging. No wonder some voice already start saying JKW should change her.

Yea, today, it's not business as usual anymore. Especially in maritime and fishery sector where much highlight given by the media. illegal fishing and smugling (goods, drugs, fuel, even human trafficking) will find it harder and harder to operate in Indonesian water without taking dearly risk.

Last edited:
3 Illegal Fishing Boats From Vietnam & Thailand Captured with 26 crews around the SCS border (4/5/15).

kkp.jpg

KM. BV 92443 TS (100 GT) - vietnam
KM. BV 92442 TS (80 GT) - vietnam
KM. Laut 12 (163 GT). - thailand

From 1 January to 6 Mei 2015, Indonesian authority already captured 37 illegal foreign fishing vessels, Vietnam 21, Philippine 7, Thailand 5 , and Malaysia 4.

Masuk Perairan Indonesia, Tiga Kapal Ikan Asal Vietnam dan Thailand Ditangkap - JPNN.com
Kementerian Kelautan Tangkap Tiga Kapal Asing Pencuri Ikan | -bisnis- | Tempo.co
Kapal Vietnam dan Thailand Belum Kapok Jarah Ikan Indonesia

Last edited:
An unfair action and not integrity is never a lawful action. Do not continue to brag up here anymore.

Back
Top Bottom