What's new

Indonesia Economy Forum

It is because they are informal sector workers with no NPWP or tax information, so imagine it would be really hard to determine their rights to have stimulus to from the government.

I wish Indonesia could integrate tax information as part of personal identification so that income of every money earning person is recorded and taxed accordingly. This would be beneficial also for the worker as both the government and the worker know what they owe to each other.

Grab/Gojek drivers have given their bank account on that companies. So there should not be any difficulty to disburse money to them. There is name, address, bank account data already. Government just need to ask both Grab/Gojek to give the data to them. And if I am not mistaken for car driver they do have NPWP.

Maybe you dont know that Gojek/Grab driver can do non cash transaction to their customers. And the incentive Gojek/Grab drivers usually get from both companies are sent through their bank account. The drivers get money incentive if they are more active during their work.

Last edited:
I will repeat my post again to get more coverage.

I dont know why there is no financial help given from Government to Gojek and Grab driver ??? They are getting huge negative impact because of the outbreak. While government give some financial help to some one who has earned salary around 3-4.9 million a month, and if both husband and wife work, it means 6-9.8 million a month. Not make sense to me. Since I know gojek driver who even cannot get any customer for a day just 5 days ago.

Gojek and Grab drivers have already had detail information from their company, including the bank account. It will be easy to disburse money to them.

The most vulnerable should be a priority and no need to inject too much money for families who can still survive financially during this outbreak since the main reason of low consumption during this outbreak period is more due to being cautious and careful to spend in the malls, restaurant, tourism spot, etc because of afraid getting Covid 19 infection instead of regarding to financial capability.

Last edited:
It is because they are informal sector workers with no NPWP or tax information, so imagine it would be really hard to determine their rights to have stimulus to from the government.

I wish Indonesia could integrate tax information as part of personal identification so that income of every money earning person is recorded and taxed accordingly. This would be beneficial also for the worker as both the government and the worker know what they owe to each other.
I think a state bank issued digital currency would allow for a more targeted injection of funds to the needed places. Also allows tax authorities to have good visibility of where the money is and who to go after. Whole world is moving in this direction, IMO.

In places like Pakistan though, this is difficult since electricity supply is unreliable. You would have money only as long as your mobile has charge.

Grab/Gojek drivers have given their bank account on that companies. So there should not be any difficulty to disburse money to them. There is name, address, bank account data already. Government just need to ask both Grab/Gojek to give the data to them. And if I am not mistaken for car driver they do have NPWP.

Maybe you dont know that Gojek/Grab driver can do non cash transaction to their customers. And the incentive Gojek/Grab drivers usually get from both companies are sent through their bank account. The drivers get money incentive if they are more active during their work.

Financial stimulus is not only about how the money is disbursed, but also how the money disbursement is justified in the state ledger books. For example, the disbursement of Rp. Xxx is justified because this tax subject (person) has an income less than 4.5 million. How is the income recognized? Using tax records. Now if Kemenkeu only relies on bank account data, there is no way to separate between taxable items (salaries, bonus) and non taxable (money transfer from friends, family) unless of course the person does his/her own tax declaration like in the US. In Germany, if you are unemployed, the money that you receive from the government will be included in your tax record eventhough that money is not deduced by tax since it is financial assistance. That is why I am advocating for tax reform for non formal workers. This is also to help them in case like this.

By the way, as far as I know, the one that is being taxed is the bonus that is sent by the company, not the ones that they got from daily activities.

I don't like BLT scheme, better to use the funds for something like "New Deal" program like FDR do in the time of recession. Padat Karya all the way, to improve logistic and reach isolated area to open more market and concentration of population.

Financial stimulus is not only about how the money is disbursed, but also how the money disbursement is justified in the state ledger books. For example, the disbursement of Rp. Xxx is justified because this tax subject (person) has an income less than 4.5 million. How is the income recognized? Using tax records. Now if Kemenkeu only relies on bank account data, there is no way to separate between taxable items (salaries, bonus) and non taxable (money transfer from friends, family) unless of course the person does his/her own tax declaration like in the US. In Germany, if you are unemployed, the money that you receive from the government will be included in your tax record eventhough that money is not deduced by tax since it is financial assistance. That is why I am advocating for tax reform for non formal workers. This is also to help them in case like this.

By the way, as far as I know, the one that is being taxed is the bonus that is sent by the company, not the ones that they got from daily activities.

So how would you explain the budget for social program during this pandemic period where low income family get rice and other supply, some also get money ? There is no ever record on who actually get it. I think as you live in German so you dont know real situation in here.

Indonesia logs biggest trade surplus in nine years, higher exports for three consecutive months
  • Adrian Wail Akhlas
    The Jakarta Post
Jakarta / Wed, August 19, 2020 / 08:50 am

2019_03_13_67596_1552486930._large.jpg

Containers and cargo vessels are seen at sunset at a port in Lianyungang, Jiangsu province, China. Indonesia recorded the biggest trade surplus in nine years in July as exports rose for the third consecutive month while demand for imports remained weak amid the pandemic. (Reuters/Stringer)

Indonesia recorded the biggest trade surplus in nine years in July as exports rose for a third consecutive month while demand for imports remained weak amid the pandemic.

Exports jumped 14.33 percent month-on-month (mom) in July to US$13.73 billion, continuing the upward trend since May, thanks to rising shipments of agriculture and manufactured goods despite the figure being 9.9 percent lower than in the same month last year, Statistics Indonesia (BPS) announced on Tuesday.

Imports stood at $10.47 billion in July, 32.55 percent lower annually and 2.73 percent lower than June, as domestic demand for consumption and raw materials remain subdued amid the pandemic.

The rise in exports and fall in imports led to a $3.26 billion trade surplus, the highest since August 2011, according to BPS.

“It is impossible for exports to immediately return to positive [annual growth] after an economic slump caused by COVID-19, but the [monthly] improvement is an encouraging sign,” BPS head Suhariyanto told reporters. “We are hoping that exports will continue to rise in the coming months.”

The coronavirus outbreak has hit international trade amid movement restrictions implemented in various countries around the world, including in Indonesia. The World Trade Organization (WTO) projects global trade volumes will contract by between 13 percent at best and 32 percent at worst this year.

Indonesia, however, has managed to book a strong trade surplus as imports fall deeper than exports. The country had recorded a trade surplus of $8.75 billion as of July compared to a $2.15 billion deficit logged in the same period last year.

Net exports were also the anchor of Indonesia’s gross domestic product (GDP) in the second quarter as the only positive contributor to the economy amid shrinking household spending, investment and government spending.

The rupiah, however, depreciated 0.34 percent on Tuesday to Rp 14,845 per United States dollar, while the Jakarta Composite Index (JCI) gained 0.9 percent.

BPS data revealed that bullion and jewelry exports recorded the highest increase in July compared to June as gold prices broke the record high in the month, followed by exports of animal and plant fat and oil, vehicles and vehicle parts. Meanwhile, Switzerland, the US and Singapore became the top three export destinations that recorded the highest monthly growth in July.

Exports of manufactured goods, which contributed around 80 percent of total exports, rose 16.95 percent mom to $11.28 billion in July but remained 1.91 percent lower year-on-year (yoy). Exports of agricultural products rose 11.17 percent yoy to $350 million driven by increased exports of bird nests and aromatic medicine, among other things.

Mining products exports, the second-largest contributor, plummeted almost one-third annually to $1.39 billion due to falling coal prices. Oil and gas exports, on the other hand, halved to $700 million due to falling oil prices but increased 23.77 percent mom.

Imports of consumer goods fell 24.11 percent yoy following a sharp decrease of garlic shipments from China and medicine from the United Kingdom, among other items.

Imports of raw materials plummeted 34.36 percent due to lower demand of raw sugar from Brazil and milk from the US while imports of capital goods dropped 29.25 percent yoy.

Indonesia’s exports are expected to drop 5 percent at best or 14 percent at worst this year compared to 2019 as the pandemic disrupted the supply chain and weakened global demand for made-in-Indonesia products, said the lead economic researcher at the Centre for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS), Yose Rizal Damuri.

“China’s economic recovery since April has boosted demand for Indonesian goods,” he said in a phone interview on Tuesday. “That will continue to be the main factor that helps Indonesian exports at a time when demand from other countries has yet to recover.”

Indonesia’s lack of dependence on the international markets will not heavily affect the country’s GDP this year, Yose went on to say, adding that the trajectory of the economy would depend on domestic consumption.

“If the government could handle the pandemic and boost consumption, then progress of economic recovery may become faster.”

The demand from major export destination countries has started to recover following the reopening of economies across the globe, which will further support Indonesia’s exports, Bank Mandiri chief economist Andry Asmoro said.

“Going forward, we see import growth will remain weaker than export growth due to suspensions in some domestic investment projects and production activities amid the COVID-19 pandemic,” he said, adding that the situation might result in a narrow current account deficit.

https://www.thejakartapost.com/news...her-exports-for-three-consecutive-months.html

So how would you explain the budget for social program during this pandemic period where low income family get rice and other supply, some also get money ? There is no ever record on who actually get it. I think as you live in German so you dont know real situation in here.

As far as I know, the prerequisite to receive the rice and other sembako supplies are the ones who are registered in the Program Keluarga Harapan and Miskin. Furthermore, the money disbursement normally ends up with the rice distributor and not the financial help recipients. That is how the government justified the disbursement. You cannot compare this to the planned stimulus we are talking about now as the disbursement is justified by certain amount of income and the money goes directly to the financial help recipients.

I do live in Germany but that should not be relevant. I did take part in some GEZ projects in Indonesia so I am quite aware of how state financing work and they mostly work the same as accounting principles are similar around the globe. If money is disbursed but not justifiable to the level of who received the money and what the purpose is, you are just opening way for corruption to happen.

Anyway, you sound so against tax reform. Do you have something against it?

As far as I know, the prerequisite to receive the rice and other sembako supplies are the ones who are registered in the Program Keluarga Harapan and Miskin. Furthermore, the money disbursement normally ends up with the rice distributor and not the financial help recipients. That is how the government justified the disbursement. You cannot compare this to the planned stimulus we are talking about now as the disbursement is justified by certain amount of income and the money goes directly to the financial help recipients.

I do live in Germany but that should not be relevant. I did take part in some GEZ projects in Indonesia so I am quite aware of how state financing work and they mostly work the same as accounting principles are similar around the globe. If money is disbursed but not justifiable to the level of who received the money and what the purpose is, you are just opening way for corruption to happen.

Anyway, you sound so against tax reform. Do you have something against it?

Nope, almost low income people that I personally know get the rice and other sembako, they are not part of that mentioned program. That fund is huge and impossible only to fund those program Keluarga Harapan dan Miskin. You can check Government Covid 19 stimulus fund to understand what I said.

Any way, government promise to give money around Rp 600.000 a months for lock down city like Jakarta but as far as I know, none have that. I dont know where the money actually gone, but there is one person in Youtube comment said that he got the money.

Nope, I am not against tax reform.

Nope, almost low income people that I personally know get the rice and other sembako, they are not part of that mentioned program. That fund is huge and impossible only to fund those program Keluarga Harapan dan Miskin. You can check Government Covid 19 stimulus fund to understand what I said.

Any way, government promise to give money around Rp 600.000 a months for lock down city like Jakarta but as far as I know, none have that. I dont know where the money actually gone, but there is one person in Youtube comment said that he got the money.

Nope, I am not against tax reform.

That 600 thousand a month is a good example of idealistic laws shooting the gov in the foot.

Part of reason why the gov was extremely reluctant to lockdown. The Lockdown law stated that gov must provide money subsidy and food water necessities to everyone effected of lockdown free of charge.

Hence we have the "PSBB" which is technically not lockdown.

I think a state bank issued digital currency would allow for a more targeted injection of funds to the needed places. Also allows tax authorities to have good visibility of where the money is and who to go after. Whole world is moving in this direction, IMO.

Indonesia current administration is seriously afraid / intimidated by crypto to the point the central bank need to issue officially misleading statement to scaring off the public.

In places like Pakistan though, this is difficult since electricity supply is unreliable. You would have money only as long as your mobile has charge.

There are other problem other than the availability of infrastructure. Dominantly using crypto or any other forms of cashless particularly m-payment would mean that people need to always have up to date / the newest smartphone thus for many people in Indonesia (including my selves) such things is unaffordable. Another problem is the availability & capacity of infrastructure, suffice to say with the exception of those whose living in Jakarta greater area (which is where most of these Indonesia posters came from) those of us whose living outside that sphere do not have much access to modern infrastructures regardless what the medias said

Disclaimer : I make most of my income from crypto mining.

Indonesia Seeks to Become Key Player in EV Battery Industry
BY :HERU ANDRIYANTO
AUGUST 14, 2020

1598256365863.png

An electric vehicle charging station is displayed at the Technology Assessment and Application Agency (BPPT) building in Jakarta. (Antara Photo/Sigid Kurniawan)

Jakarta. Indonesia is aware of the growing demand for nickel in batteries for electric vehicles and will focus on processed products of the metal instead of exporting ores, President Joko Widodo said on Friday.

The government has banned nickel ore export since January and more than 80 percent of output has been absorbed by domestic markets in the first half of the year.

“Nickel ore is processed into ferronickel, stainless steel slab, and steel sheet and is developed as the main material for lithium batteries,” the president said in his State of the Nation address at the parliament building in Central Jakarta.

“This will place Indonesia in an even more strategic position in the development of lithium battery, world’s electric vehicle, and future technology producer,” he said.

Nickel ore production stood at 15.84 million tons in the first half of the year, with 13.19 million tons being sold to domestic buyers, according to the Energy and Mineral Resources Ministry.

Most of the remaining ores have been processed into 666,696 tons of ferronickel, 418,955 tons of nickel pig iron, and 46,092 tons of nickel matte.

The majority of these processed products have been sold to the export markets, including 517,077 tons of ferronickel, 136,192 tons of nickel pig iron and 39,705 tons of nickel matte.

The ambition to become a key player in the global supply chain of EV batteries was part of the national strategy for “energy autonomy” the president laid out in his speech.

It also includes the plan to mandate a 30 percent mix of biofuel in diesel fuel, known as the B-30 program, later this year. The proportion has been increased from 20 percent currently.

“State-owned oil company PT Pertamina is currently cooperating with researchers who have created the catalyst for green diesel D100, a hundred percent diesel fuel produced from palm oil. Production trial has been accomplished at our two refineries,” he said.

The D100 project will absorb a minimum of a million tons of farmer-produced palm for 20,000 barrels of production capacity per day, he added.

“Coal is processed into methanol and gas. Several refineries are being constructed to process crude oil into refined oil, and at the same time they become petrochemical industries that supply high values of products from downstream industry,” the president said.

Last edited:
Indonesia, UAE explore cooperation in agriculture: Minister
23rd Aug 2020 12:37
Indonesia, UAE explore cooperation in agriculture: Minister

Jakarta (ANTARA) - The Indonesian government explored cooperation in the field of agriculture with the United Arab Emirates (UAE), during a visit of Minister of Foreign Affairs Retno Marsudi and Minister of State-Owned Enterprises (BUMN) Erick Thohir to Abu Dhabi.

Indonesia explored cooperation in the agricultural field with the UAE-based Elite Agro company, which planned to invest in agribusiness in West Java, Retno Marsudi said during a virtual press conference from Abu Dhabi, on Saturday evening.

The two ministers requested a support from the UAE government for the cooperation, and were scheduled to hold meetings with CEOs of several local companies including Elite Agro during the visit.

"As the final part of this visit, both of us will hold several meetings including with ADIA, then with Masdar, with ADNOC, and also with Elite Agro," she said.

She said that the UAE government showed a strong commitment to supporting strengthening cooperation in various fields, including food.

Meanwhile, Minister Erick Thohir said there was a large market potential, not only in the context of bilateral trade between Indonesia and the UAE, but also the UAE as a distribution hub for the Middle East and Africa region.

Thohir was upbeat that bilateral cooperation in food production would help improve the quality of Indonesia's food products.

The visit of the two Indonesian Ministers to Abu Dhabi was to follow-up a telephone conversation between President Joko Widodo and the Crown Prince of the UAE, Sheikh Muhammad bin Zayed, on August 17. The two leaders discussed cooperation amid the pandemic, especially related to COVID-19 handling and cooperation in economic, energy and food.

During the COVID-19 pandemic, the UAE has imported micro, small and medium-scale enterprises (MSME) products from Indonesia, such as fruits, fresh vegetables and dried food products.

Related news: UAE, Indonesia relations will continue to grow rapidly: ambassador
Related news: COVID-19 aid: UAE sends 20 tons of PPEs to Indonesia
Related news: UAE explores investment for Balikpapan refinery development

Translated by: Aria Cindyara, Fardah
Editor: Sri Haryati

Indonesia to have 290 million doses of COVID-19 vaccine by end of 2021: Jokowi

• Ivany Atina Arbi
    The Jakarta Post
1598264064526.png

Jakarta / Mon, August 24, 2020 / 04:36 pm

President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo said on Monday that the country would have the ability to procure around 290 million doses of COVID-19 vaccine by the end of 2021.

“It is a huge number. We can eventually export the vaccine to other countries if our supply exceeds the domestic demand,” the President said, while citing that Indonesia was also developing its own vaccine, named Merah Putih in reference to the country’s red and white flag.

The Merah Putih vaccine, which is developed by a national consortium under the Research and Technology Ministry, was expected to cover at least 50 percent of the country’s 260 million population. State-owned pharmaceutical company Bio Farma aims to mass-produce the vaccine by 2022 if it earns approval from the Indonesia Food and Monitoring Agency (BPOM).

Jokowi previously also ordered Foreign Minister Retno Marsudi and State-Owned Enterprises Minister Erick Thohir to visit China and the United Arab Emirates to secure various partnerships, particularly regarding the coronavirus vaccine.

Speaking at the State Palace on Monday after reporting the visits’ results to the President, Minister Retno explained that the country would have roughly 20 to 30 million doses of vaccine by the end of this year.

Some 80 to 130 million doses are expected to be available in the first quarter of 2021, while another 210 million are to be procured between the second and fourth quarter of next year.

“In total, we would have 290 to 340 million doses of vaccine [by then],” Retno said.

Good decision, need to be implemented soon as Rupiah is getting pressured in this third Quarter

BI to require natural resource exporters to convert forex earnings to rupiah
  • Adrian Wail Akhlas
    The Jakarta Post

Jakarta / Mon, August 24, 2020 / 05:43 pm
1598267992355.png

Bank Indonesia office in Central Jakarta

Bank Indonesia (BI) plans to require exporters of natural resources to convert their foreign exchange (forex) earnings into rupiah to stabilize the country’s currency, while it also continues to buy government bonds to support the economy amid the ongoing health crisis.
Exporters of natural resources that earned more than US$300 million from 2019 shipments will be required to convert their earnings to rupiah, BI Governor Perry Warjiyo said during a meeting with lawmakers on Monday, adding that the measure was aimed at shoring up the rupiah’s stability and bolstering Indonesia’s external stability.

“This is not capital control because we also need foreign funds, including portfolio investment and foreign direct investment,” Perry told House Commission XI overseeing financial affairs. “We will do this by considering the stability of the rupiah exchange rate.”

The effective date for the new regulations will depend on the stability of the rupiah, he said, adding that there would be a ceiling for the amount exporters kept in their bank accounts and anything above must be converted to rupiah.
Exporters of natural resources are already required to retain their earnings in a special account under the current regulations.
The rupiah appreciated 0.7 percent on Monday to Rp 14,670 per US dollar as of 3 p.m. Jakarta time and has lost 5.8 percent of its value throughout the year. To date, the rupiah has been one of the worst-performing Asian currencies in the third quarter.

The central bank’s governor reiterated his view that the rupiah remained “fundamentally undervalued” and would strengthen further to reflect its fundamentals, supported by low inflation, low current account deficit (CAD) and attractive domestic financial assets, among other reasons.

The CAD narrowed in the second quarter to $2.9 billion, down from 1.4 percent of gross domestic product (GDP) in the first quarter to 1.2 percent of GDP.
Meanwhile, the central bank has bought Rp 125.06 trillion worth of government bonds directly through auction and private placement, Perry went on to say, adding that this had increased the central bank’s ownership of government bonds to an accumulated Rp 536.67 trillion.
“BI will take quantity measures by providing liquidity to support economic recovery from the impact of the coronavirus pandemic, including by supporting the government to accelerate the absorption of the 2020 state budget,” Perry said, adding that the central bank would continue to take measures to stabilize the rupiah and strengthen monetary operations.

The central bank and the government have agreed on a Rp 574.59 trillion debt monetization scheme, with the central bank pledging to buy Rp 397.5 trillion in bonds and fully bear the debt costs. It has also pledged to remain as a standby buyer of government bonds in auction.
The central bank has cut its benchmark interest rate, the seven-day reverse repo rate, by 1 percent so far this year. Many economists expect BI to cut its policy rate at least one more time this year.

Permata Bank economist Josua Pardede said the central bank’s latest announcement, particularly the requirement for exporters of natural resources to convert their forex earnings into rupiah, had received a positive reception from investors, attributing the currency’s gains to the central bank’s latest move.
“This will create positive sentiment in the near-term as the move will boost dollar supply in the country,” Josua told The Jakarta Post during a phone interview. “The new policy means that there will not be any capital control, which is a good sign for the market, because not every exporter will be required to convert their earnings, only those that shipped $300 million in value.”

Back
Top Bottom