What's new

Indonesia backs Bangladesh’s SEACO initiative

Better look at your IQ first before calling other stupid, you sound like Bangladesh 50 cents taka bot. Sounds boring and stupid

ASEAN cant be replaced, even when China or other countries like US intend to join us, not to mention insignificant fly and gutter dirt called Bangladesh. You know why? We build ASEAN from scratch facing many hard challenges, even hard pressure from heavy weight economy and power like US of A, Japan and China. Because of what? We intend to nurture and build a better place for our regional community member to do business and contact people to people , to cater regional issues at equal stands between member , without worries about of the coming of heavy weight member put pressure for the rest of member. We dont intend to build ASEAN as dick measuring tools against other regional orgz., it is stupid to the max to replace ASEAN with something unproven and even including heavy weight with proven track records of intervening her smaller neighbor like India. Just as like i said better to including Australia in first place compared to India. It is blatant insults toward founding father countries of ASEAN like Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore Thailand and Philippine

"not to mention insignificant fly and gutter dirt called Bangladesh"

Are you serious?

BD has per capita of 1900 US dollars and growing at 8% a year while Cambodia is at 1600 US dollars growing at 7%. Myanmar is the same as Cambodia.

We imported 24.8 billion USD of textile product yearly (2012 data) with 60 % of it comes from China. We had free trade agreement with China.

Those numbers do not seem correct as it would have been more than 5% of Indonesia GDP that year..

If we look at 2017:

https://wits.worldbank.org/CountryP...rt/Partner/by-country/Product/50-63_TextCloth

upload_2019-5-19_17-16-53.png

Still 3 billion US dollars a year from China is a lot. Strange thing is that China is a lot richer than Indonesia now.

Anyway China is rapidly losing it's competitiveness in textiles and will have to be replaced by a lower cost country.

I find it strange that Indonesia imported 1 billion dollars of textiles from Korea and 600 million dollars from the USA. Where these high-end designer clothing?

Attachments

• upload_2019-5-19_17-16-39.png
    upload_2019-5-19_17-16-39.png
    153.3 KB · Views: 18
SEACO as a Muslim entitity has the potential to be something quite special.....an effective Muslim collective.....

Organisation like OIC or the Arab League or GCC are all epic failures.

This potential organisation brings together countries with very similar outlook. Good initiative by BD and is the continuation of the long term look east policy.

In the short term it also represents another angle in the campaign to isolate the burmese savages internationally.

ASEAN is surely a strategic region especially due to it's lucrative maritime location, there is no doubt on that.

But do you think ASEAN is still as effective as a bloc as it was before? There seem to be a division among the members with some states being pro-China and others being anti-China. ASEAN has failed to come with a strong resolution on the South China Sea dispute. Also, countries like Malaysia and Indonesia are surely annoyed by the Rohingya crisis with Rohingya refugees popping up to their shores through human traffickers.
Certainly there are conflicts within members, notably Vietnam vs Indonesia, conflicts with non ASEAN, so between some members as Vietnam and Philippines with China concerning SC sea dispute, rivalry Vietnam vs China, Japan vs China. Especially Vietnam and Japan are traditionally against China hegemony in East Asia.

Despite internal conflicts Asean members share common strategic interests though. A peace treaty hinders war between Asean nation’s. Any threat of nuclear attack on Asean is minimized by Asean nuclear weapon free zone.

If we enlarge Asean, the number of conflicts and tensions will intensify and we will head to a dead end.

Not really sure how to respond to this irrelevant point. BD wants to be a member of ASEAN CUZ quite a few ASEAN countries like Brunei, Indonesia, Philippines, Malaysia....bd is a Muslim majority country and by being a member of this association, BD will be be able to build rapport with these Muslim countries in the egion which will further enhance our position in the global areana.
I think the most important criteria for ASEAN membership is the location. If you are in South East Asia, then all other things become irrelevant. Look at the members, it has Muslim, Buddhist and Christian countries. Contain both very rich Singapore and Brunei as well as poor countries like Myanmar and Cambodia. Intra-member hostility is also not a drag for this organization. If you are in South East Asia, then all other differences are fine. That's why only possible future member is East Timor. I don't understand why some Bangladeshi members has such a desire to be included in that club. Bangladesh is a very different country then other ASEAN members, it is not even located in South east Asia. So it is very futile to expect them to invite us. Why not look the other way? Bangladesh got a country equivalent of all of ASEAN as a close neighbor. And that country is growing twice as fast then ASEAN. Why not economically integrate more with that country and Nepal, Bhutan? It will be more beneficial.

Last edited:
Certainly there are conflicts within members, notably Vietnam vs Indonesia, conflicts with non ASEAN, so between some members as Vietnam and Philippines with China concerning SC sea dispute, rivalry Vietnam vs China, Japan vs China. Especially Vietnam and Japan are traditionally against China hegemony in East Asia.

Despite internal conflicts Asean members share common strategic interests though. A peace treaty hinders war between Asean nation’s. Any threat of nuclear attack on Asean is minimized by Asean nuclear weapon free zone.

If we enlarge Asean, the number of conflicts and tensions will intensify and we will head to a dead end.

I am not sure how this conversation gone to this direction.

BD has been interested in joining ASEAN but as an organisation it does not want to grow.

In BDs region Saarc is dead because of India Pakistan issues.

BD has two interest in the region, greater connectivity with bigger economies so in this case India and Thailand which we have pursued via BIMSTEC. We also need to connect strategically and economically with Muslim countries in the region, hence SEACO.

I think the most important criteria for ASEAN membership is the location. If you are in South East Asia, then all other things become irrelevant. Look at the members, it has Muslim, Buddhist and Christian countries. Contain both very rich Singapore and Brunei as well as poor countries like Myanmar and Cambodia. Intra-member hostility is also not a drag for this organization. If you are in South East Asia, then all other differences are fine. That's why only possible future member is East Timor. I don't understand why some Bangladeshi members has such a desire to be included in that club. Bangladesh is a very different country then other ASEAN members, it is not even located in South east Asia. So it is very futile to expect them to invite us. Why not look the other way? Bangladesh got a country equivalent of all of ASEAN as a close neighbor. And that country is growing twice as fast then ASEAN. Why not economically integrate more with that country? It will be more beneficial.

Because that country is seeking regional supremacy and is acting to undermine BD sovereignty. Our export to ASEAN is larger than what it is to our miserly neighbour that has put up a massive tariffs and para-tarrif wall against our product. Also because it is untrustworthy, interfering and does not abide by any rules or agreement. BD always needs to be globally focused as our immediate neighbourhood is filled with nations that we can trust.

BD seeking to be part of ASEAN is not a particularly big deal. There is no accepted border of what south east Asia is..... It is whatever anyone wants it be.

I am not sure how this conversation gone to this direction.

BD has been interested in joining ASEAN but as an organisation it does not want to grow.

In BDs region Saarc is dead because of India Pakistan issues.

BD has two interest in the region, greater connectivity with bigger economies so in this case India and Thailand which we have pursued via BIMSTEC. We also need to connect strategically and economically with Muslim countries in the region, hence SEACO.

Because that country is seeking regional supremacy and is acting to undermine BD sovereignty. Our export to ASEAN is larger than what it is to our miserly neighbour that has put up a massive tariffs and para-tarrif wall against our product. Also because it is untrustworthy, interfering and does not abide by any rules or agreement. BD always needs to be globally focused as our immediate neighbourhood is filled with nations that we can trust.

BD seeking to be part of ASEAN is not a particularly big deal. There is no accepted border of what south east Asia is..... It is whatever anyone wants it be.
Asean is a bloc of nations in SE Asia. BD is not part of the region, so many others. As said, we will become a mess if expanding east and west. I read some time ago, Turkey wants to join. Sorry. It can’t.

Asean is a bloc of nations in SE Asia. BD is not part of the region, so many others. As said, we will become a mess if expanding east and west. I read some time ago, Turkey wants to join. Sorry. It can’t.

There is no such thing as south east Asia..... Its an imaginary concept and as with any imaginary concept it is fluid.....

But this thread really is not about ASEAN in anyway or if it wants to grow. If it does not so be it... No one can force it.

The thread is about SEACO...which is being set up to progress the interest of Muslims. I for one am all for it. It has been a long term coming and is desperatily needed. The participants needs to work earnestly to ensure it is a success.

My response to homosapian was purely on the basis of what he said. It was not particularly an advocation of BD joining ASEAN.

Last edited:
Agree with this part. India is still a very much a protectionist economy and it's conflict with Pakistan and china and partition in 1947 has permanently screwed it's world view. Just take a cursory look at Indian news, it is always about Jaat-Paat, Hindu vs Muslim, Cow, political squabbling, ethnic tensions, Kashmir conflict, tension with Pakistan etc. etc. There is no energy left for them to think about other things in the world. Still I think, with growing economy in both countries, there are more opportunity for economic co-operation in the future.
They have made a definition that suit them. Who is going to argue with them? Plus I personally think, culture and look are also hidden criterias. Bangladesh certainly culture wise and look wise not South East Asian. Bangladesh, ethno-culturally a pure South Asian country. They are not willing to allow any such country in their exclusive club.

Last edited:
There is no such thing as south east Asia..... Its an imaginary concept and as with any imaginary concept it is fluid.....

But this thread really is not about ASEAN in anyway or if it wants to grow. If it does not so be it... No one can force it.

The thread is about SEACO...which is being set up to progress the interest of Muslims. I for one am all for it. It has been a long term coming and is desperatily needed. The participants needs to work earnestly to ensure it is a success.

My response to homosapian was purely on the basis of what he said. It was not particularly an advocation of BD joining ASEAN.
It’s not fluid. SE Asia is clearly defined, so South Asia, West Europe, East Europe, etc.
I wish you all the best in the Muslim group. Personally I think a bloc based on religion leads to nowhere. A bloc can be successful only if it is based on economic and military power.

Asean is seen as global power because it has rich country as Singapore, military power as Vietnam as members.

It’s not fluid. SE Asia is clearly defined, so South Asia, West Europe, East Europe, etc.
I wish you all the best in the Muslim group. Personally I think a bloc based on religion leads to nowhere. A bloc can be successful only if it is based on economic and military power.

Asean is seen as global power because it has rich country as Singapore, military power as Vietnam as members.

Flip flop army with trawl turned patrol vessels believe themselves as military power come on learn to build your own tank, APC helicopter then try to boasting, another supa powa in believe. You Vietnamese learn a lot to bragging from certain country

Those numbers do not seem correct as it would have been more than 5% of Indonesia GDP that year..

If we look at 2017:

https://wits.worldbank.org/CountryP...rt/Partner/by-country/Product/50-63_TextCloth

View attachment 560877

Still 3 billion US dollars a year from China is a lot. Strange thing is that China is a lot richer than Indonesia now.

Anyway China is rapidly losing it's competitiveness in textiles and will have to be replaced by a lower cost country.

I find it strange that Indonesia imported 1 billion dollars of textiles from Korea and 600 million dollars from the USA. Where these high-end designer clothing?

You know Aramid, kevlar fabric and the likes we imported them from Dupont and the likes

Flip flop army with trawl turned patrol vessels believe themselves as military power come on learn to build your own tank, APC helicopter then try to boasting, another supa powa in believe. You Vietnamese learn a lot to bragging from certain country

OK. I have been reading a little about Asean and there is the Economic Community (the AEC) launched in 2015.
This will involve goods, services, capital, skilled labour and communication.

Do you know how the "skilled labour" part works? Does this mean that someone from say Indonesia is qualified for a vacancy in Singapore both technically and linguistically, then they would be able to apply for that job and have just as good a chance as a local in getting it?

OK. I have been reading a little about Asean and there is the Economic Community (the AEC) launched in 2015.
This will involve goods, services, capital, skilled labour and communication.

Do you know how the "skilled labour" part works? Does this mean that someone from say Indonesia is qualified for a vacancy in Singapore both technically and linguistically, then they would be be apply for that job and have just as good a chance as a local in getting it?

Still you must apply for working permit and temporary resident permit. Well got a lot of Indonesian owned companies in Singapore open their companies or their branch offices, the likes of Wilmar international, Salim group, Djarum group, Astra internasional had a lot presence and portfolio in Singapore, and they tend to bring their family and best talent worker from Indonesia to Singapore

Still you must apply for working permit and temporary resident permit. Well got a lot of Indonesian owned companies in Singapore open their companies or their branch offices, the likes of Wilmar international, Salim group, Djarum group, Astra internasional had a lot presence and portfolio in Singapore

But you can apply for the job first?

You get the job and then apply for working permit and temporary resident permit?

But you can apply for the job first?

You get the job and then apply for working permit and temporary resident permit?

Its the employer task to get the work permit for their foreign worker. Malaysian got a lot of cutback in permit issues compared to Indonesian but overall still acceptable compared to lengthy issue for non Malays

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom