What's new

Indo-S. Korean Defense Ties Deepen with Minesweeper $1.2 billion Purchase

lilaspr

Reaction score
India’s Defence Ministry has decided to award a US $1.2 billion contract to Kangnam Corp. for eight mine-countermeasure vessels in India’s first big-ticket defense program with South Korea.....

The Indian Navy is likely to give additional orders to the South Korean company for the countermine ships, since the service has a requirement for more than 24 minesweepers, an MoD source said. The Indian Navy operates 12 aging Pondicherry and Karwar-class minesweepers.

South Korea has become a big-ticket supplier of weapons to India — along with Russia, Israel, the United States and France — and is aggressively tapping India’s $100 billion weapons market.

Samsung has jointly developed a howitzer gun with Indian private-sector company Larsen & Toubro, and it is likely to put up a tough fight against Russia’s Rosoboronoexport in the quest to supply 155mm/52-caliber tracked guns.

The Larsen & Toubro-Samsung team is competing with Rosoboronexport, and with state-owned Bharat Earth Movers Ltd. (BEML), which has partnered with Slovakian company Konstrukha.

The Indian Army wants to buy 100 tracked guns valued at more than $750 million. The tender, issued in 2011, was a rebid of a 2007 tender, which went to India’s Tata Power SED, Larsen & Toubro, BEML and Rosoboronexport.

South Korean firm Doosan has also been given a tender this year for the purchase of 104 self-propelled gun missile systems to replace aging Russian Kvadrat systems.

Indo-South Korean defense ties began in 2005, when the two countries signed a memorandum of understanding on defense logistics and supplies.

In 2007, the defense ministers of the two countries met to hash out a defense cooperation plan, which was followed in 2010 by the signing of a declaration of strategic partnership.

Full article >>>

Has this contract really come through? If it has, then its certainly good news. The IN has been planning for replacements to the existing MCMVs for a decade; but now its really time to go through with the deal.

Eight Minehunters are a must have fleet for initial deployment, majorly with WNC. Later the numbers can be built upto the projected requirement of 24 ships.

@lilaspr ,
thanks , great news !

I guess it will add further impetus to India's look East policy ....

Diversification of arms supply from traditional single vendor to multiple vendors hopefully will benefit India's armed forces ...

So does the 30% off sets clause apply to this deal too ? I guess not so....this looks like off the shelf purchase ....

Last edited by a moderator:
SK is a non-defence ship building Giant of the world.They have lot of expertise in this field . We can expect timely delivery from them.

On sidenote today gun barrel of Desi Bofors made by Ordinance Factory burst during one of the user's trial after so many successful trials . God only knows was their sabotage this time too like Arjun, IA officers do like visiting foreign countries and receiving some portion of kick backs.

So bad for you .
Your small Taiwan has only to rely on US made platforms. :lol:

That guy has next to no opinion with regards to his own country Taiwan.

He is most likely a false flagger, a paid chibot. Either that or he has a serious medical condition.

Good news for IN as well as the Indo-South Korean relationship ...... :cheers:

though its a good news,I think India should try to build some minesweepers to become self sufficient.I wonder why India never tried to build one..of course we shouldn't try it now as our dry docks are full with new ships..

Back
Top Bottom