What's new

India's Post Offices Sell Bottled Ganges River Water

Tiqiu

Reaction score
Country
China
http://sputniknews.com/asia/20160712/1042853282/india-holy-water.html
19:48 12.07.2016
Now, everyone in India can get a drop of holy water from the Ganges River simply by having a bottle delivered to them or buying it at the local post office.
A new scheme that enables all India Post offices to supply water from the Ganges, or The "Gangajal," was launched on Monday. The initiative will provide an opportunity for people to use the holy water for washing off their sins during religious rituals, as it is often inconvenient or even dangerous for them to go to the Ganges itself.

1025609232.jpg

© Flickr/ Lawrence Wright
Holy Cow! Revenue-Starved Indian States Bank on 'Cow Tax'
The river's water remains severely polluted due to industrial runoff and human waste. Studies have revealed levels of bacterial contamination that are so high that the water is not fit for bathing in most areas, and certainly not potable. Gangajal is bottled at the Gangotri and Rishikesh streams, which feed the Ganga and are considered to have the purest water. The 200ml and 500ml bottles are priced at 15 and 22 Indian Rupees respectively (US $0.22 and US $0.33).
The new scheme was announced on Sunday by Union Minister for Communications and Information Technology Ravi Shankar Prasad and Union Minister of State for Railways Manoj Sinha in Siliguri, a city in the Indian state of West Bengal.

6.jpg

"Gangajal met with huge demand." The first share of 15 bottles was delivered on Sunday to the state's capital, Kolkata, and vanished in seconds. The same thing happened at Siliguri on Monday, according to officials.

"The supply was meagre in Bengal. We got only 280 bottles of 500ml and 245 bottles of 200ml for the entire state," said Swapan Garai, an assistant director at the Department of Posts, who manages the distribution of Gangajal across the state. "The bottles sold out instantly. People left the counter cursing us," Abhijit Sarkar, a head post office employee, told local media.

If it is from The SOURCE ie at the origins of the river in Himalayas then it is welcome

In the plains every one knows about the quality of water
This is one of the areas that China and India can work together. Why not collecting the water at its source in Himalayas and selling it at a higher price? Considering it was sold at $8 per bottle already, there are much money to be made by both.
1.jpg

This is one of the areas that China and India can work together. Why not collecting the water at its source in Himalayas and selling it at a higher price? Considering it was sold at $8 per bottle already, there are much money to be made by both.
View attachment 317195

The Source lies in India ; it is NOT in Tibet

may be you are mixing River Ganges with River Brahmaputra

Brahmaputra originates in Tibet

how about opening a business of putting tap water and labeling as "GangaJal" to fool some ppl and make some money ?

how about opening a business of putting tap water and labeling as "GangaJal" to fool some ppl and make some money ?

Already been done many times.

But I guess having just the authorised govt distributor (post office) ensures some proof/standards are being met compared to previous ways of doing it where you had to rely on good faith of the guy selling it to you

Already been done many times.

But I guess having just the authorised govt distributor (post office) ensures some proof/standards are being met compared to previous ways of doing it where you had to rely on good faith of the guy selling it to you
i remember my mom used to keep a bottle of ganga jal (which was suspiciously very clear). once when she was gone i drank a little from "the" bottle, in hopes of somehow getting super powers. then to avoid getting caught, i replaced it with tap water.

i remember my mom used to keep a bottle of ganga jal (which was suspiciously very clear). once when she was gone i drank a little from "the" bottle, in hopes of somehow getting super powers. then to avoid getting caught, i replaced it with tap water.

Lol, well you drank only a little anyway and diluted it a bit after...I'm sure it didnt detract from the potency of the rest :P

Lol, well you drank only a little anyway and diluted it a bit after...I'm sure it didnt detract from the potency of the rest :P
lols.....i had almost 3 quarters, one go at a time. waiting for the effects (knew spidey by then) to kick in. never did :(.

lols.....i had almost 3 quarters, one go at a time. waiting for the effects (knew spidey by then) to kick in. never did :(.

Lets hope they dont kick in at some random moment in future. I have heard ganga jal has an unpredictable time delay and power manifestation type.

Back
Top Bottom