What's new

India's New High Resolution MilSat CartoSat 2C to be launched in May

Very good? It's some of the best.
But there's more exciting next year.
A New Spy Satellite called as GEO HR Imager would be launched mid 2017.
It's resolution would be almost same but what's plus point? :D
Answer: Untouchable from Anti Satellite Missile being in Geo Synchronous Orbit.
And getting such high resolution from there's a great thing.
Currently, China has such a satellite called GaoFen-4 only one satellite of it's kind in orbit.
India may be other one.

France has more aggressive plans but delayed.

CCI is rescheduled for 2020, wish it would also be sent in this class. :partay:
@Ankit Kumar 002 @Shinigami @NIA
Geo hr?never heard any thing before.

Geo hr?never heard any thing before.
GISAT(not to be confused with G-SAT) or GEO HR Imager would be a high resolution spy satellite to be placed in Geo Synchronous orbit for reconnaissance purposes.
Though it's resolution is smaller than 4.5-5K bus GF-4, being 1-1.5k bus , it's direction ratio is quite impressive.
I do believe it would be base of our future heavy spy SATs which could read the text written on roof of a car(0.5 m resolution).
This SAT has a tentative schedule for launch in 2017. So, won't be delayed even.

Very good? It's some of the best.
But there's more exciting next year.
A New Spy Satellite called as GEO HR Imager would be launched mid 2017.
It's resolution would be almost same but what's plus point? :D
Answer: Untouchable from Anti Satellite Missile being in Geo Synchronous Orbit.
And getting such high resolution from there's a great thing.
Currently, China has such a satellite called GaoFen-4 only one satellite of it's kind in orbit.
India may be other one.

France has more aggressive plans but delayed.

CCI is rescheduled for 2020, wish it would also be sent in this class. :partay:
@Ankit Kumar 002 @Shinigami @NIA
Which lv will be puting this on orbit?pslv or gslv.

GISAT(not to be confused with G-SAT) or GEO HR Imager would be a high resolution spy satellite to be placed in Geo Synchronous orbit for reconnaissance purposes.
Though it's resolution is smaller than 4.5-5K bus GF-4, being 1-1.5k bus , it's direction ratio is quite impressive.
I do believe it would be base of our future heavy spy SATs which could read the text written on roof of a car(0.5 m resolution).
This SAT has a tentative schedule for launch in 2017. So, won't be delayed even.
So we will be having a constant eye over paisthan. A cluster of 3 to 4 satlite can cober entire pakisyan i think.

Any source?
I thought Cartosat-2C is meteorological satellite.
690kg, wow, too good, I thought about like 300kg similar to one like Israeli.
Ask for more in morning.
I'm feeling sleepy.
GISAT 1

GSLV Mk2,
So we will be having a constant eye over paisthan. A cluster of 3 to 4 satlite can cober entire pakisyan i think.
Grow up. We have more important things to take care of. :angry:

Come on it's basic 4 satellite with enough capacity to come entire world, PSLV can launch just 1400kg to Geosynchronous orbit & it's heavier so GSLV Mk2.

You are misinterpreting.
Read the full sentence it says two of the countries, not the only two countries.

You're very right, I misread after spotting the missing change. Thanks mate!

But I still trust that that phrasing was not innocent ...

Still congrats to the Indians for whom it is needed tool though, Tay.

@PARIKRAMA RISAT-2A and 1A are they going to be Israeliy or Indian made?

+ If i'm reading your charts right, by the end of 2020 ISRO should have put another 7 (military) observation sats into space?

+ no news on the GSATs for the IAF and IA?

You are misinterpreting.
Read the full sentence it says two of the countries, not the only two countries.

True, but what is special about those 2 countries? Why not list all the countries? It's not like the list is a huge.

If the writer did not have all the facts or did not want to do the homework he could have avoided naming any.

The journalists need to write articles that represent and reflect the facts rather than statements that are misleading or could be misinterpreted.

@PARIKRAMA
About the RISAT series, wasn't it about to be increased the fleet to a total of 4-5 by the period 2017-19. But here as you post, its only replacing the first 2.

Any source?
I thought Cartosat-2C is meteorological satellite.
690kg, wow, too good, I thought about like 300kg similar to one like Israeli.

Every meterological satellite is a potential military satellite.

At 80 cm resolution, it could give accurate profile of every Pakistani bunker ,that lie ahead of them, to an infantry squad, and position of roadblock and accurate number of tanks to an advancing Armoured corps. It could even count number of Pakistani soldiers presence in an blob of forces that would be facing India, though it could not distinguish between their features.

Please provide source of your images, it seems ISRO has downgraded it's website, there was a lot of information before changing website, now I can't find anything about future projects.

Its from slides by Mr O.V. Raghava Reddy, Project Director, Oceansat3/3A, Scatsat -1 ...
The theme was User Interaction Meet 2016 held on Feb 03, 2016

upload_2016-4-13_8-59-44.png

Its not from ISRO website, rather from National Remote Sensing Centre - government website
Link;
http://nrsc.gov.in/sites/all/pdf/modnrscUIM _Raghava Reddy_1.pdf

Thats why information is very reliable as its from NRSC themselves and from a project director.

@PARIKRAMA RISAT-2A and 1A are they going to be Israeliy or Indian made?

+ If i'm reading your charts right, by the end of 2020 ISRO should have put another 7 (military) observation sats into space?

+ no news on the GSATs for the IAF and IA?

upload_2016-4-13_9-5-8.png

The most important part is the X band SAR built by Israel Aerospace Industries IAI. Its basically the indianised version of TecSAR launched by PSLV in 2008 with improvements and changes.. So in essence its a Israeli Satellite MKIsed as ISRO had made all the system bus components.

The RISAT-2 Israeli radar spacecraft launched in 2009 was rushed into service ahead of the all-Indian RISAT-1. This is because the Indian military knew that the Israeli radar is more specialized for military imaging and could provide intelligence imagery within a year of the 2008 Mumbai attacks tied to Pakistan. Israel operates an identical reconnaissance satellite called TecSAR (picture below).

Identical to India’s RISAT-2 this Israeli TecStar spacecraft is minus its large solar arrays. Israel’s TecSar has been an important asset for monitoring Iran. The 10 ft. antenna dish can obtain 4-5 in. resolution images day or night and in all weather conditions. Photo Credit: Israel Aerospace Industries.

RISAT-2 with its 10 ft. dish antenna is far more suited for intelligence gathering than RISAT-1/1A.
RISAT-2 has provided India with meaningful intelligence about Pakistan and potential Al Qaeda threats.

The mesh dish on RISAT-2 can physically focus radar spot beams to obtain images with a resolution as high as 4-5 inches, according to Israeli defense officials. India now has this capability, but it is highly classified.

India obtained the RISAT-2 radar from Israel in exchange for launching Israel’s identical TecSat military imaging satellite now used heavily to monitor Iran especially at night. Iran even chided India over its decision to launch the TecSar.

upload_2016-4-13_9-5-41.png

C Band SAR is indigenous and so is the whole satellite.. The RISAT-1 radar will be capable of 3-20 ft. imaging resolution day or night and in any weather conditions. In addition to this high resolution mode it can also operate in two lower resolution modes depending on the type of targets being imaged. It is designed to transmit radar data at up to 640 Mbps.

The spacecraft carries a 20 x 6 ft. rectangular radar panel below its main bus that sprouts solar arrays spanning about 40 ft.

Previous Indian remote sensing satellites relied on optical and infrared sensors while RISAT-1 uses an indigenously developed C-band synthetic aperture radar (SAR) operating in multi-polarisation and multi-resolution modes.

Another difference between the two spacecraft is that virtually every technical detail about the Indian made RISAT-1 is unclassified and easily available online by simply Goggling RISAT-1. But data on RISAT-2 built in part by the famed Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI), is much more sparse. India even declined initially to release images of the RISAT-2 launch on a PSLV rocket.

++
about 7 satellites point.. Yes you are correct
India as of now operates around 12 active Earth Observation satellites with limited number for military usage. The list is here
List of Earth Observation Satellites - ISRO

.. we will add 7 more in this observation list by 2020.. Some will be replacement, some will be new.. but primary coverage via SAR antenna would continue for Indian subcontinental region.

The idea is 2 existing SAR antenna satellites + 2 new - RISAT 2A, 1A followed by 5 cartosat family which has 2 replacements and 3 new satellites in cartosat 3 series..

++
GSATs
GSAT 7, GSAT 7A/ INSAT4F will be for DEDICATED MILITARY COMMUNICATIONS.

GSAT 7 was launched in 2013
here is the link
List of Communication Satellites - ISRO

GSAT 7A / INSAT 4F should be launched within this year via Ariane Space.

@PARIKRAMA
About the RISAT series, wasn't it about to be increased the fleet to a total of 4-5 by the period 2017-19. But here as you post, its only replacing the first 2.

The whole fleet will get increased.. 4 SAR satellites will be there.. RISAT1, 2, 1A, 2A and cartosat family 2 replacement + 3 new

Cartosat family will provides us with 0.25 m resolution ..

++
edited to add

@Abingdonboy
The IRNSS one transponder is for dedicated military usage as of now.. and it will remain so as a back up channel for communication...

Last edited:
When did CartoSat turn into a Military Satellite? :lol:
It has been a dual use satellite from the initial 2005 timeline when we did not have dedicated military satellite..

Going forward the dual usage will decrease from series 2A and in series 3 it will be much higher military usage and may be even dedicated to missile defense.

here is the excerpt for Cartosat 1 which was a dual use satellite

upload_2016-4-13_12-5-58.png

the usage of word strategic and tactical areas in first paragraph last line gives it away..

This is from a satellite book that i have .. name is Spies in the Sky: Surveillance Satellites in War and Peace
By Pat Norris

upload_2016-4-13_12-13-21.png

and a report in Indian express published yesterday

ISRO’s earth observation satellite Cartosat-2C will be launched in May using a PSLV rocket. It will prove to be a shot-in-the arm for India’s military surveillance and reconnaissance capabilities. The launch will help place India in a select league of nations like US, Israel and China who have similar or better spy satellites that keep a close watch of happenings on Earth from space.

A couple of weeks ago, the Cartosat-2C — built at Space Applications Centre (SAC) in Ahmedabad — has been dispatched to ISRO Satellite Centre (ISAC) at Bengaluru after successful rounds of tests and evaluation. This brand new satellite follows the steps of Cartosat-2A which was India’s first dedicated military satellite, launched in 2007, that had the capability to monitor missile launches in its neighbourhood.

Cartosat-2C to boost military surveillance capabilities | The Indian Express

++
Factually thats incorrect bcz dual usage still exists for series 2 cartosat satellites but that has decreased as compared to series 1 as i said above...

++

oh this is one picture from Cartosat 2A

mumbay_cartosat_a.jpg

Mumbai area seen through the camera of Cartosat 2A. Photo: ISRO

its showcasing Nariman point in the bottom left, marine drive in extreme bottom left, the cricket ground..
bottom Right side its dockyard -sasoon dockyard, colaba.. you can see some big ships as well in extreme bottom right..

As you can see, why Cartosat is important from military point of view as well..

Back
Top Bottom