What's new

India's loss, America's gain

Times have changed, now a days Firms are paying descent amount and hence IIT grads prefer homeland over abroad, one the the other hand research facilities in our country(even IITs) are not up to mark so students who want to pursue their career in research go abroad for post graduation/phd.

Funny thing is,
The Chinese send thousands students all around the world for education, These guys are subsidised by the state , they study abroad and they can't wait to come back to china to improve their nation.

Our IIT get world class education in India subsided by the state and they lack the same aspiration to improve their nation. Hey blame social culture.

But really speaking , i don't blame them Life in America is far easier and simpler then in India. Setting up in India is a lot more difficult then in America. Although once you are an established your self it's about the same in both nations.

IF we want our graduates to stay , we need to offer a better deal for them.

But if we can get some of these people to abroad and comeback later in life when they are more established , it will do more good

This article is writting in typica "indian" charm of taking on reputable institute like MIT, Harvard and Princeton and trying to demostrate them as subset of IIT.
Such bigoted authors kill the purpose of their writting at once..if such was the case, India wouldnt be reforming their law to allow forigen universities.

Other than that disaggrement, India is an educational might. It has superb research institutes, education budget and brain power. Indo-Pak peace will help a lot in dysfunctional education system of Pakistan.

Hardworking people need to be praised regardless and Indian's today are shining example of brilliant brains from poorest of the poor. The white man must have looked down on asian and called them "third world" but now the same white man is at threat of reverse colonization, not by millitary might but intellactual might.

Kudos to India and Indians.

Too bad about relations.. otherwise I really had a desire to go to IIT.

out of curiosity, how popular or well known are IIT's among the common masses in Pakistan?

cheers

out of curiosity, how popular or well known are IIT's among the common masses in Pakistan?

cheers

yes

Economic Times,APRIL 20- 2005

In the name of peace and neighbourly ties, your child may have to compete harder for that elusive seat at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) or the Indian Institute of Management (IIM). For, Pakistani students will soon be able to study at the IITs and IIMs.

This is a major reversal in policy as foreign students haven't been allowed to study at the IITs so far. In fact, despite being among institutes with global recognition, the IITs and IIMs have never been part of any of the education roadshows organised by either EdCIL (Education Consultants India) or UGC-FICCI.

The idea being that as state-run institutions, funded substantially by the government, Indian students should have the first dibs on IIT/IIM education .

The suggestion was made by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh during his meetings with Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf. Sources say the Prime Minister's Office (PMO) is keen on seeing the proposal go through.

Pakistani students would have to appear for the IIT-JEE (IIT's joint entrance exam) and the CAT (IIM's common admission test ).

A measure of the interest in opening up the country's premier engineering and management institutions is the fact that the government will consider devising a separate exam for the Pakistani candidates in the event that they can not appear for the IIT-JEE or CAT.

The ministry of human resources development, which the administrative ministry for these two institutions, will begin talks with the PMO shortly. Talks would determine modalities of the admission, the percentage of seats to be set aside for Pakistani students and the fee structure.

Admission to the IITs and IIMs are extremely competitive, with students working hard to crack the exams. In the case of the seven IITs, there are some 3000-odd seats up for grabs, while the six IIMs take in some 1300-odd students every year. More than two lakh students appear for the IITs while one lakh compete for the IIMs.

What is not clear is if this will mark the beginning of opening up of these highly-prized government-funded institutions to foreigners. Or will the Pakistani students be accorded a special favour?

nice post gogbot.IITians do go to foreign universities for masters.After all who wouldn't want to study in top univ's.The problem is opportunities thereafter.But a majority of them do stay back.Did u know that in some IIT's as a rule students have to be placed in INDIA itself.

India is in experimental stage of allowing Pakistani student therefore has allocated a small quote. However the biggest hurdles in overseas education of PK nationals in India is not the GoI but fears of GoP that India aims to forment public opnion by selective indoctrination of Pakistani students in India. Therefore, the PK Ministry of education is very reculant to issue NOC and turn down many requests right away.

IIT is an over rated institution. The only advantage there is you tend to get research Funding. Otherwise it's standards have deteriorated in the past decade.

IIT is an over rated institution. The only advantage there is you tend to get research Funding. Otherwise it's standards have deteriorated in the past decade.

God, when hillary clinton said IIT was one of the best in the business were your eyes closed?
Give me any any 1 reliable link which says so.

Well.. im not sure about the indoctrination part.. I would still be raring to go for an MBA there if I can.. the actual problem is the ever unreliable state of relations. I could go there.. but what if there are tensions again?. I am left nowhere.

Back
Top Bottom