What's new

India's "Look East policy" how much have been succesful so far

Terminator

Reaction score
Country
India
"Look East" Policy, which was initiated in 1991, marked a strategic shift in India’s perspective of the world. It was developed and enacted during the government of Prime Minister P.V. Narasimha Rao and rigorously pursued by the successive governments of Atal Bihari Vajpayee and Manmohan Singh.

Rao devised the policy as only the first stage of a strategy to foster economic and security cooperation with the United States. However Looking East became an end in itself as India began to focus on developing economic relations with Singapore, largely because of Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew. This is in keeping with the philosophy of the Look East policy of India finding its destiny by linking itself more and more with its Asian partners to engage the rest of the world, and that India’s future and economic interests are best served by greater integration with East and Southeast Asia. Hence, Look East policy is an attempt to forge closer and deeper economic integration with its eastern neighbours as a part of the new realpolitik in evidence in India’s foreign policy, and the engagement with Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN) is a part of the recognition on the part of India’s elite of the strategic and economic importance of the region to the country’s national interests. As Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said, the Look East policy is not merely an external economic policy; it is also a strategic shift in India’s vision of the world and India’s place in the evolving global economy.

Hey mates & Guru's can we have genuine & even handed debate on success/achievements or failures (if any) of our so proclaimed policy.

Hey mates & Guru's can we have genuine & even handed debate on success/achievements or failures (if any) of our so proclaimed policy.

Mostly successful so far.

India has leveraged a lot of "cultural connections" (mainly to do with Buddhism) to improve relations with most of the countries in East and Southeast Asia.

After 21 years ...you have started taking it seriously now.

Are you talking to me?

I'm not sure I understand what me taking it seriously or not has to do with anything? If it's a national policy and it's working then I'll take it seriously, why not?

"You" meant Chinese..perhaps I was pointing towards your flags rather...

"You" meant Chinese..perhaps I was pointing towards your flags rather...

Like I said, if it is a national policy of a country, and it is working... then people will take it seriously.

And it is definitely working, so it will be taken seriously.

Not just by us, but by anyone who wants to study foreign policy.

India's Economic/diplomatic/cultural relations with most East and Southeast Asian countries has been improving drastically in the past decade or so.

Even previous Chinese strongholds like Myanmar are becoming more open to Indian influence.

small countries next to giant neighbours play a delicate balancing game, as seen from south and south east asian countries in the india-china context

India looked west for much of its post independence era. There were times especially from the late 50s through the 70s, south east asian leaders like Lee Kuan Yew, Suharto wanted India to be engaged with South East Asia but we were too fascinated with the western hemisphere and gave less importance to E.A / SEA. It was a good thing that the 90s saw us engaging back.. but I think it was too late.

Didn't this policy was more reactive rather than proactive and commenced as a counter to "String of Pearls" ..our dumb foreign policy makers aren't so smart to have a proactive foreign policy. It was indeed a reaction to Chinese pearls strategy, aimed to choke India around his vicinity. Chinese were smart to initiate such steps first...& we followed only in reaction. Though it was late but sweet results are coming.

Hope it becomes an even bigger success.

Back
Top Bottom