What's new

India’s fastest supercomputer ‘Pratyush’ established at Pune’s IITM

IndoCarib

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Union Minister for Science and Technology Harsh Vardhan dedicated India’s fastest and first ‘multi-petaflops’ supercomputer to the nation here. Petaflops is a measure of a computer’s processing speed.

Christened ‘Pratyush’, meaning the sun, the High Performance Computing (HPC) facility has been established at the Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM), Pune, and will be a national facility for improving weather and climate forecasts, an IITM release said. While inaugurating the facility, the minister said that it would be India’s number one HPC facility in terms of peak capacity and performance.

The IITM release added that the facility would help the country with better forecasts in terms of monsoon, extreme events, tsunamis, cyclones, earthquakes, air quality, lightning, fishing, hot and cold waves, flood and drought among others. This facility will also be used in coordination with the Indian Meterological Department (IMD) and other weather monitoring institues, to evolve better weather monitoring practices and an improved weather forecasting system.

This is India’s second HPC unit. The first unit, installed at National Centre for Medium Range Weather Forecasting (NCMRWF), Noida, assist weather agencies in providing daily forecasts. These supercomputers will help weather analysis reach international standards, and attain improved predictions and warnings of natural disasters.
http://indianexpress.com/article/te...ercomputer-established-at-punes-iitm-5017530/

Pratyush means morning or simply the beginning of the day !!

This makes the perfect sense as this is the first of its kind in India.

The chinese super computer is of 33.86 peta flops. Ours will be 132 Exa flop.

This means that our super computer shall be 3898 times faster than the one of china.

I hope I have provided enough information from open sources.

Thanks.

This is the achievamant of mankind, world's fastest supa computer now in india!

Why is this ^ troll never banned :D

What amazed me is the fact that there are so many Indian posters would even believe that BS, and they are so called "educated and informed" Indians. Just imagine the rest of the country.
It clearly states India's fastest, not world's fastest.

What amazed me is the fact that there are so many Indian posters would even believe that BS, and they are so called "educated and informed" Indians. Just imagine the rest of the country.
In 2016, so many PDF indian members believed their new 2017 supa computer will be the fastest in the world.
Now, we can finally say, thank them for their great prediction for the mankind.

屏幕快照 2018-01-10 13.46.46.png

Did they mention the speed of the Super computer? They just said multi petaflop.
it is a 4PF system. This new unit could be ranked in between 40th to 50th on the latest top 500 list (Nov. 2017 issue).

Back
Top Bottom