What's new

India's Defense Exhibition 2007

Cool!
Are you a member of IDF?

There is only one forum I post, and it is this one. I do browse the other ones for information. I do believe this place has some good members, though not techincaly not as good as others in differnt boards. But as fellow human beings

Lol! You could have just said yes or no!
Well..the point is there is a meet organised, for all members who aer going to AI 07. So i recommend that you join that forum and in the military aviation section, its a sticky. Just keep checking the details, everything wil be co-ordinated there, so we can all meet. An entire bunch of people who love defence under 1 roof! I imagine lots of fights LOL!

Lol! You could have just said yes or no!
Well..the point is there is a meet organised, for all members who aer going to AI 07. So i recommend that you join that forum and in the military aviation section, its a sticky. Just keep checking the details, everything wil be co-ordinated there, so we can all meet. An entire bunch of people who love defence under 1 roof! I imagine lots of fights LOL!

Will do that!!!

Hey Guys
Im back too, i'l upload the pics as soon as i get the time. Zombie has taken over 500 pics. Cant wait for him to upload it.

Guys, i dont know where to post this, but at the Swedish Center in AI, i asked about the Eri-eye, and was confirmed that the Eri-eye does not have 360 degrees coverage. The Eri-eye has 90degree blind spot up front of the plane and at the back of the plane too i think. Joey will be able to confirm, he was there with me too.

Guys, i dont know where to post this, but at the Swedish Center in AI, i asked about the Eri-eye, and was confirmed that the Eri-eye does not have 360 degrees coverage. The Eri-eye has 90degree blind spot up front of the plane and at the back of the plane too i think. Joey will be able to confirm, he was there with me too.

That is spooky. What model of the radar? Front and back that is 180 deg. of "no see"

Malay,
Was this guy an official from the manufacturer?

I highly doubt his expertise, check the technical info on the official site where it clearly states that there's a 360 deg coverage and target detection at the range of 350km.

MISSION SYSTEMS

The mission radar, the Flygburen Spaning Radar with the Swedish Air Force designation FSR 890, is based on the Erieye Side-Looking Airborne Radar (SLAR) from Ericsson Microwave Systems. The Erieye SLAR is a long-range pulse Doppler radar, fitted with fixed active phased array antennae and operating within the 2GHz to 4GHz, NATO E to F bands, (the US S band). The 9m-long, 900kg antenna unit is mounted on the upper spine of the fuselage and gives the aircraft its distinctive appearance.

"The radar can detect fighter aircraft at a range of 350km."The Erieye radar provides 360° coverage with optimum performance of the radar over the 150° azimuthal sectors on each side of the aircraft. The radar can detect fighter aircraft at a range of 350km in a dense hostile electronic warfare environment, in heavy radar clutter and at low target altitudes. The radar has a sea surveillance mode.

The Erieye system has full interoperability with NATO Air Defence Command Systems. The system uses solid-state electronics, open-system architecture and ruggedised Commercial Off-The-Shelf (COTS) hardware, with general-purpose programmable workstations and full-colour liquid crystal displays.

The radar incorporates an Identification Friend or Foe and a Secondary Surveillance Radar (IFF SSR) with an electronic support measures unit operating over the NATO E to J bands from 2GHz to 18GHz.

The main cabin is equipped with a suite of multifunction workstations for up to three operators for radar, fighter control and functions associated with the land-based operations.

The aircraft has a secure voice and datalink communications suite with HF and VHF / UHF links. The V / UHF datalink operates at 4,800bps.

http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/s100b_argus/

Malay,
Was this guy an official from the manufacturer?
Yep, he was from SAAB.
Joey was with me, he would be able to clarify as i was in a hurry to leave, he heard what he said properly. But he CLEARLY said that the Erieye has blind spots.

I highly doubt his expertise, check the technical info on the official site where it clearly states that there's a 360 deg coverage and target detection at the range of 350km.
He said to cover 360 deg, the plane moves a small bit or something like that, the plane turns a bit, it doesnt need to take a circle, but turn to a certain level.
Like i said, Joey will be able to tell his words more precicely.

Highly successful Aero India-2007 comes to close

The five-day Aero India-2007, dubbed as the best in Asia came to a close today with the defence majors across the world present in full strength exhibiting their might to snap up several military deals of India, including the multi billion dollar medium mult-irole combat aircraft purchase, for which the request for proposal is likely to come out in six months.

The visibility however, was high from the United States, which, close on the heels of the Indo-US nuclear deal, is lobbying hard for a sizeable chunk of the Indian defence billings.

Two US majors, Lockheed Martin and Boeing, vyed powerfully for the 126 fighter aircraft deal, dubbed the biggest deal in the world in the last 15 years exhibiting the prowess of their aerial wares F-16 flying falcon and the F/A-18 super hornet respectively.

Also in the run was the Mig 35 an upgrade version of Mig 29, which was displayed for the first time out side Russia, and, Swedish Gripen.

Besides these four fighters, Eurofighter typhoon and Rafale also are trying for the order.

The sixth edition is also dubbed as the Aero India Tata 2007 as business tycoon Ratan Tata who had an extended presence, flew in F-16 and F-18 hogging a massive public limelight.

The show however, began on a tragic note as few days before the inaugural, one of the Advance Light Helicopters (DHRUV) of the Sarang Display Team crashed during a practice sortie killing the co-pilot and seriously injuring the pilot. The pilot received severe head injuries and still remain in coma state at the Training Command Hospital here.

Another incident happened on the third day when the indigenously designed and developed Intermediate Jet Trainer steered off the track due to a tyre burst just before take off for a display. Its wings and landing gear were damaged but the presence of mind on part of HAL Chief Test pilot Baldev Singh, who switched off the aircraft engine, saved further damage. The IJT however, participated in the display programme today.

The show concluded this evening with a splendid display by the Surya Kiran team.

The new offset policy of the country, part of the 2006 defence procurement policy, which put a 30 per cent obligation on defence procurements for over Rs 300 crore orders won by foreign companies was also a widely discussed issue at the Aero show. Virtually all the major defence sellers were seen vying with each other to either exchange notes with different Indian defence ware producers and signing MoUs for future references. Both the civil and defence sectors saw this upsurge of mous which also witnessed a number of aerospace design companies pitching in strongly.

Speaking to UNI, a number of Indian and foreign participants such as Bharat Electroncis Limited, Bharat Earth Movers Limited, TCS, HAL, on the Indian side, and Boeing, Gripen, Northrop, Bell helicopters, Eurocopter, EADS, GIFAS a consortium of French aerospace companies said it was a win-win situation for both.

The huge defence outlay of 35 billion US Dollars by India over the next 25 years of which the offset alone could be nearly ten billion dollars was a huge cache that the foreign and Indian defence majors would not allow to slip by.

Apart from the three day hectic business schedule, the air display by the metal birds drew a huge crowd. The tarmac of the IAF Yelahanka Base, which hosted the show, was seen milling with people, craning their necks to keep in line with the breath taking display by both IAF aircraft and the jet fighters from outside. In all 46 aircraft participated in the flying and static display.

The show thrown to private event managers for the first time by the Defence Ministry was organised by FICCI in association with the Faranborough International attracting over 500 exhibitors, including 300 from abroad.

http://deccanherald.com/deccanherald/feb112007/update1948252007211.asp

Back
Top Bottom