What's new

India's COVID-19 cases surge to 18 million while government praises turnout for 'festival of democracy'

beijingwalker

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
India's COVID-19 cases surge to 18 million while government praises turnout for 'festival of democracy'
April 30 2021

b80d2f25f3e26658aee02100675e2d26

India's total COVID-19 cases have passed 18 million after another world record number of daily infections.

Key points:
  • The rate of deaths in India has almost tripled over the past three weeks
  • Australia has joined international efforts pledging aid supplies
  • The Indian government celebrated queues of people lining up to vote in elections on Thursday
India reported 379,257 new infections and 3,645 new deaths on Thursday, the highest number of fatalities in a single day since the start of the pandemic.

India has set a new global record of daily cases for seven of the past eight days, with a seven-day moving average of nearly 350,000 infections.

Daily deaths have nearly tripled in the past three weeks, reflecting the intensity of the latest surge.

India's best hope is to vaccinate its vast population, experts say, and on Wednesday it opened registration for all above the age of 18 to receive vaccinations from Saturday.

But although it is the world's biggest producer of vaccines, India does not have the stocks for the estimated 600 million people now eligible.

Many who tried to sign up for vaccination said they failed, complaining on social media of being unable to get a slot or even to simply get on the website, as it repeatedly crashed.

"Statistics indicate that far from crashing or performing slowly, the system is performing without any glitches," the government said on Wednesday.

Since the rollout began in January, around 9 per cent of Indians have received their first dose of a vaccine.

A healthcare system in crisis
Harrowing scenes of people begging for oxygen have become firmly etched in the global consciousness, as India's health system struggles under the weight of surging coronavirus cases.

Some doctors were advising patients to stay at home.

It has led to desperate family members sending SOS messages on social media, hoping someone would help them find oxygen cylinders, empty hospital beds and critical drugs for their loved ones.

India expects close to 550 oxygen generating devices from around the world as medical aid starts pouring in, Foreign Secretary Harsh Vardhan Shringla said on Thursday.

Australia has pledged 509 ventilators and millions of pieces of protective equipment in an initial support package.

Support from Russia has already arrived, with two planes carrying 20 oxygen concentrators, 75 ventilators, 150 bedside monitors, and 22 tonnes of medicine arriving in Delhi on Thursday.

India will also receive a first batch of Russia's Sputnik V vaccine on May 1.

Government celebrates 'festival of democracy' as political rallies defy public health advice
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has been criticised for allowing massive political rallies in recent weeks in the lead-up to elections.

But on Thursday, despite the biggest public health emergency the country has faced in a generation, people were out in force voting in the eastern state of West Bengal in an election Mr Modi has been campaigning in.

f5b932a5fcd80a5cc3b304a269c83899

Political rallies have been held though each phase of the electoral process. Here supporters of India's ruling Bharatiya Janata Party gather ahead of the third phase in Kolkata in early April.(
AP: Bikas Das

Long queues were seen outside polling booths, raising concerns about further spread of the virus amid a deadly second wave.

"It's a festival of democracy and everyone is participating. You can see the queues," said Krishna Kalyan, a candidate from Mr Modi's ruling Bharatiya Janata Party.

The year began with a continuing political crisis for the Modi government as thousands of farmers were undeterred from mass protests in response to agriculture reforms.

ABC/wires

Let everyone die, then only they will learn cost of being stupid and having stupid leadership

Lol @beijingwalker, you went silent for 6 months after a barrage of economic doomsday threads you put out last year after 1st quarter. Now that China virus is back in India, you are back with your usual nonsense. And this will also be temporary.

Lol @beijingwalker, you went silent for 6 months after a barrage of economic doomsday threads you put out last year after 1st quarter. Now that China virus is back in India, you are back with your usual nonsense. And this will also be temporary.
When did I post a barrage of economic doomsday threads? I mostly only post China related threads.

India did contacted its COVID from China.
This is a fact.
Stop trolling.

Modi just want yo stay in power with no intention of doing the right thing to contain the indian virus?

Why don’t you read his post and say something about the decision of your politicians to hold mass rallies? Why are you trying to deflect from this huge catastrophe and deflect?
Modi is responsible for aiding this and has blood on his hands. Poor innocent people gathering before they potentially die - being persuaded to vote for the scum. It’s just a shameful act and your government ought to be ashamed and made responsible. It’s a tragic situation - don’t deflect or try your one liners on this thread.
That is something for us Indians to worry about. PDF can cry a river.
When did I post a barrage of economic doomsday threads? I mostly only post China related threads.
Lol. A simple search on PDF showed me that you opened 560 threads on India. Sometimes people don't realise their obsession unless they are shown a mirror. Take care and get medication.

Last edited:

Lol. A simple search on PDF showed me that you opened 560 threads on India. Sometimes people don't realise their obsession unless they are shown a mirror. Take care and get medication.

Right now whole world is obsessed. Today 400,000 cases and 3,700 deaths (most news outlets say even this is a massive undercount).

If you have an issue with PDF covering India can I suggest you leave? Maybe try and get some air....

Really? If so the percentage will be 0.0148%, does this number suggest any kind of obession?

Please vote for me whilst you die. What a nation.

LOL ab kaun marega corona ki maut?

Really? If so the percentage will be 0.0148%, does this number suggest any kind of obession?
Lol, how did you get that fraction, genius? The statistic I had given was not of messages but of threads that you created on India. Surely genius, you haven't opened 38000 threads on this forum. Lol.
Right now whole world is obsessed. Today 400,000 cases and 3,700 deaths (most news outlets say even this is a massive undercount).

If you have an issue with PDF covering India can I suggest you leave? Maybe try and get some air....
Whole world couldn't care about what happens to Indians. But PDF has a special obsession of Covid and Modi. You can live in denial. But dont expect me to care about your opinion either.

Lol, how did you get that fraction, genius? The statistic I had given was not of messages but of threads that you created on India. Surely genius, you haven't opened 38000 threads on this forum. Lol.
The posts I did about India are less than one tenth or less in PDF, most of them were posted to counter Indian posters attack, India is such an insignificant and weak country, who the hell would have obsession about India....

The posts I did about India are less than one tenth or less in PDF, most of them were posted to counter Indian posters attack, India is such an insignificant and weak country, who the hell would have obsession about India....
Lol. So why would you cover covid situation in india if it so insignificant and weak. Also to gauge your obsession all you have to do is search for India in thread titles posted by you.

20210501_160536.jpg

PDF returns a maximum of 28 pages with 20 entries on each page and congrats you have breached that maximum. Seriously get medical check up , this obsession isn't good.

Lol. So why would you cover covid situation in india if it so insignificant and weak. Also to gauge your obsession all you have to do is search for India in thread titles posted by you.

PDF returns a maximum of 28 pages with 20 entries on each page and congrats you have breached that maximum. Seriously get medical check up , this obsession isn't good.
Everyone is talking about Indian covid disaster at this moment, it's an once in several life time event. I've been here for many years, all people know I mainly post China related topics, the percentage of China related posts posted by you are way higher than I did about India, you are the one who has incredible obsession about China.

Back
Top Bottom