What's new

India's caste system goes back 2,000 years, genetic study finds

"Gill/Randhawa/Bajwa" are not important jatt clans in any area of pakistan , only bajwas are found in appreciable number in sialkot and gujranwala. The dominant clans of jatts are different depending on a particular district in punjab. For example in gujrat district waraich is dominant jatt clan, in gujranwala and sialkot cheema is the dominant jatt clan. In sheikhupura it is virk, in sargodha it is ranjha, in south punjab jatts dont relate to central punjabi jatts. In south punjab they prefer to be called saraikis and often use "malak/malik" as their forename. The northern pothohar plateau is mostly dominated by rajputs, jatts like chaudhary nisar ali khan are in visible minority in norhtern punjab. Northern punjab is predominantly raja and awan area. My research tells me that most of the pakistani punjabi jatts do not share any close history with indian jatt clans but there are few in eastern districts of pakistani punjab near the border who share some clan names with indian jatts.

Interesting, so before partition Indian punjab already was sikh dominated?

Interesting, so before partition Indian punjab already was sikh dominated?

Yes it was. And also a lot of sikhs of jatt caste migrated to indian punjab leaving their agricultural lands behind at the time of independence. For example there are some villages on the name of Gill clan in gujranwala (e.g. Gillan chak, Gillwala etc.) but I suppose most of the gills in those villages were sikhs and migrated to india because I dont find many muslim jatts of gill clan even in those villages of gujranwala.

"Gill/Randhawa/Bajwa" are not important jatt clans in any area of pakistan , only bajwas are found in appreciable number in sialkot and gujranwala. The dominant clans of jatts are different depending on a particular district in punjab. For example in gujrat district waraich is dominant jatt clan, in gujranwala and sialkot cheema is the dominant jatt clan. In sheikhupura it is virk, in sargodha it is ranjha, in south punjab jatts dont relate to central punjabi jatts. In south punjab they prefer to be called saraikis and often use "malak/malik" as their forename. The northern pothohar plateau is mostly dominated by rajputs, jatts like chaudhary nisar ali khan are in visible minority in norhtern punjab. Northern punjab is predominantly raja and awan area. My research tells me that most of the pakistani punjabi jatts do not share any close history with indian jatt clans but there are few in eastern districts of pakistani punjab near the border who share some clan names with indian jatts.

My question is why would someone call himself something like this and without his clan surname.

My question is why would someone call himself something like this and without his clan surname.

No one in pakistan is anwerable to you about why one uses a particular surname without having clan name as part of his name. Perhaps the clan name does not hold that much importance to that person, everyone is different than others in this world.

If it has no importance,it is end of story.

Btw Rustam,are the same one from the anthropology forums?

So this rot came just 1900 year ago.. We Indian have 30,000 years of casteless society..

We will make again casteless society..

But that should not mean forgetting history or giving up our native customs/rituals/widsom.

Back
Top Bottom