What's new

Indians among most corrupt:TII

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkd

Reaction score
Indians among most corrupt while doing business abroad: TII

NEW DELHI: At least 30 per cent of 2,742 business executives surveyed across the world regard Indians among the most corrupt when doing business abroad to "speed things up", according to a report by an NGO Transparency International India (TII) here.

"The Global Corruption Report 2009: Corruption and the Private Sector (GCR)" which was released today worldwide claims that Indian and Chinese companies play an active role in global business but engage in "bribery" when doing business abroad.

The Competition Act enacted in 2002 which promotes and sustains competition in markets and protects the interest of consumers has remained a non-starter in India, as per the report.

"A minimum of 100 senior executives each in 26 countries were questioned regarding the practices used by business persons from various nations," it says.

"TII has had some measure of success with public sector firms with the use of Integrity Pact, a tool to check corruption in procurement and tendering. We have not been able to generate similar interest among the private sector yet," says TII chairman RH Tahiliani in a statement.

Another concern the report addresses is how the sheer economic power of some firms and business sectors translates into disproportionate and undue leverage on political-decision making.

"Companies have no clear cut guideline on regulating and making transparent political contributions. Corporates report high-level strategic commitments to anti-corruption but they do not always report on the necessary support systems required to meet these commitments," says Anupama Jha, executive director of TII.

The report also points out that half of international business executives polled estimated that corruption raised project costs by at least 10 per cent.

"Ultimately it is citizens who pay: consumers around the world were overcharged around US $300 billion through almost 300 private international cartels discovered from 1990 to 2005," she adds.

Last edited:
Can we post the TII information about the other countries, specifically Pakistan (since this E&D forum is primarily for Pakistan related threads),which I know will be ranking somewhere around the top of the list on corruption, to make this thread less about bashing a particular country and discussing corruption in general.

Can we post the TII information about the other countries, specifically Pakistan (since this E&D forum is primarily for Pakistan related threads),which I know will be ranking somewhere around the top of the list on corruption, to make this thread less about bashing a particular country and discussing corruption in general.

Nope last time I read your country (think 138) is actually less corrupt then BD (think 162) and we tie with Chinese at 72. But that was only the perception index. Since you guys are ground zero for Big T and since you guys usually cry more so it could well be that perceptions about you are more ingrained. Even TII does only perceptions, that too with only a little sample.

Look at it this way. While we tie with the Chinese, some years back I read a response from a foreigner that Chinese take a bribe and do it, while Indians take a bribe but still may not deliver. You can look at it in two ways. I know you know what these two ways are. But both are only perceptions. Besides Graft is not the only form of corruption. What about Nepotism where I believe far east asians will be at the top.

Dont think the initiator is bashing us though. Even if he is, that doesnt change the truth. And there is no real option other then the truth.

Found this gem of a comment from siliconindia.com. Always fascinated and admire India Guru philosophy on life. Indian thoughts have a profound impact on Oriental thinking, particularly the idea of detachment of materialistic desires. That is why I found this fellow's comments very interesting. Please read:

Indians most corrupt while doing business abroad - SiliconIndia

1: So what else is new? I've been saying this ever since I have been subscribing to your newsletter. If there is a loophole in the law, it takes an Indian to find it and once found, exploit it to the limit. Undercutting a competitor at all costs is the foundation of any Indian enterprise. And it's the double-edged sword that's responsible for these antics. Indians are prone to believe that their rewards are either here or in another dimension. And they classify rewards into two groups: Material Rewards and Spiritual Rewards. If you want your material rewards, including wealth, in *this* world then he believes that he can do anything to get them. Firstly, they are material in nature. And according to Hindu philosophy, chasing after any material gains or comforts is bad to begin with. So, why not bite the bullet and suspend all personal values? He'll be going to hell in any case.

Those who long for spiritual rewards keep fooling themselves that their rewards are waiting for them in heaven, if they are willing to live like beggars in this world. So, to let off steam, he goes about trying to discourage others from practicing affluence, self-respect, self-esteem, (he calls it pride), or any human endeavor that would raise the well-being of his fellow man.

To an Indian the acquisition of material wealth is wrong. It's a sin. His neighbor, who craves material has been taught since childhood that the only way to material prosperity is to swindle his fellow man. So he has put himself into a Catch 22 situation of his own making.
Posted by: OneOpinion - 02:11 PM Sep 24, ' 09

Learned another valuable lesson on life, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom